Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 541 53.2%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 476 46.8%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

spwd

I don’t understand why anybody puts any stock in what a manager says to the press. It’s just platitudes and narrative. You can bet your bottom It’s totally different from what he’s saying in the changing room.

All managers do it, SAF was a master at it - they want to set the agenda and control the narrative which is fair enough. Doesn’t necessarily make it what they really believe.
Yeah in the dressing room he's saying "don't listen to them, we're brilliant. Carry on as we were " :rolleyes:

Son

He went up in my estimation with his reaction. He should have said shall we just put Liverpool in the final in our place?

That would make all the mediocre career pundits happy right? Obviously… Liverpool would have beaten Coventry 8-0 so they deserve the final surely?

Rista

Weird reaction here. I think he's right and glad to see him give it back. I can't ever remember a manager being asked if he's embarrassed after a win or if his players are. The arrogance of the same media who kneel and worship cheating City is sickening. Some of you just don't get it or seem to have forgotten the absolute contempt most non United fans have for United

The Hilton

Okay. Applying those criteria how is the current squad not his?
Because the current squad is exactly what I described as not fitting the bill; a handful of first choice picks, a few club signings driven by a dysfunctional footballing department, some emergency loan signings and free stopgaps, some youth players, and a load of legacy brought in to play an almost antithetical style of football.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
It was partly about tactics. Coventry got a massive slice of luck with the deflected goal but the space they found is because of our team setup. Eventually, if you let teams shoot constantly they'll smash it in the top corner or it will deflect in the other side.
We didn’t let them shoot constantly 2/3rds of the game. Not following the game plan for the last 3rd (slowing the game down, keeping the ball, not forcing playing with players out of position) these things all went out of the window after the 3rd goal.

Is a moot point really because leaving too much space has been a theme of the season. I just don’t think it applied in this specific game where the tactical setup and game plan was fine. Just my opinion though

AllezLesDiables

Feck me how triggered are some of you lot. Ten Hag is totally correct in calling out the media response to the semi-final victory. No it wasn’t good, and United fans can dissect that, but the ABU media ought to wind their neck in. The fact we’ve pissed so many of them off is one of the silver linings of this shit show of a season.
He’s not. His reaction is how people who ill-suited for the job sound. When you choke a 3-0 lead away and were lucky not to concede in ET, you have no business complaining about the media.

The media didn’t choke. The team did. The correct response to accept responsibility. Yelling at the media makes him look like a prat who threw all of his toys out the pram.

If you want to be a big boy club you have handle the media correctly.

mu4c_20le

man expects a standing ovation after blowing a 3-0 lead to a lower league team and scrapping through on penalties. Deluded.
"Erik! Stunning comeback at Wembley against the mighty Coventry City. What was your team talk heading into extra time?"

Son

man expects a standing ovation after blowing a 3-0 lead to a lower league team and scrapping through on penalties. Deluded.
I don’t see other teams getting as slaughtered for losing matches as we do for winning one.

Football is a crazy sport. If we beat City we deserve the cup. We’d arguably have played 3 of the greatest FA cup games in a row and barely any team ever could claim that sort of entertainment winning the trophy.

Football is entertainment despite what Guardiola is trying to achieve and our last 2 FA Cup games have elevated this tournament. The good and the bad.

We are the one side left making this years cup interesting and that’s a fact.

Son

He’s not. His reaction is how people who ill-suited for the job sound. When you choke a 3-0 lead away and were lucky not to concede in ET, you have no business complaining about the media.

The media didn’t choke. The team did. The correct response to accept responsibility. Yelling at the media makes him look like a prat who threw all of his toys out the pram.

If you want to be a big boy club you have handle the media correctly.
We are in the final. Cry more when we beat City.

Rista

Okay. Applying those criteria how is the current squad not his?
It is complete bollocks. A "handful of first choice picks" alone is more than vast majority of managers can say about their squads. It's "his" squad as much as manager's squad can be.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I don’t see other teams getting as slaughtered for losing matches as we do for winning one.

Football is a crazy sport. If we beat City we deserve the cup. We’d arguably have played 3 of the greatest FA cup games in a row and barely any team ever could claim that sort of entertainment winning the trophy.

Football is entertainment despite what Guardiola is trying to achieve and our last 2 FA Cup games have elevated this tournament. The good and the bad.

So us being shit is actually a good thing? We should be proud then, because we're absolute horse shit. Every week.

Rake

The fans reacted badly to the game, even those in the ground. The players accepted it wasn't good. The media called it for what it was. Yet he takes issue with it and thinks everyone else's reaction was wrong. He's honestly fecking deluded.
Yeah, first time I see the winning team acting like they lost the shootout. Conveyed my feelings perfectly, since I'd stopped caring if we win a while ago.

NLunited

Chelsea was entertaining as well tbh.

Son

So us being shit is actually a good thing? We should be proud.
We literally knocked Liverpool out the game before… We beat City too we’ve beaten the so called top two sides in the country.

That liverpool game was a classic too. We are bringing something. City are bringing the same dull by the numbers football and 115 charges to the table.

Hilarious we’ll be painted as the villains even as underdogs against a club that cheats in the final. I just find it funny all round.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Because the current squad is exactly what I described as not fitting the bill; a handful of first choice picks, a few club signings driven by a dysfunctional footballing department, some emergency loan signings and free stopgaps, some youth players, and a load of legacy brought in to play an almost antithetical style of football.
How many of the signings have been former players of his? Also bearing in mind that before Ajax his style was based on fast transition and fairly low defensive line what exactly makes this squad not his?

Flying high

Weird reaction here. I think he's right and glad to see him give it back. I can't ever remember a manager being asked if he's embarrassed after a win or if his players are. The arrogance of the same media who kneel and worship cheating City is sickening. Some of you just don't get it or seem to have forgotten the absolute contempt most non United fans have for United
Spot on. We've boiled so much piss for years that they can't wait to batter United for absolutely anything. Cup upsets happen every year, yet we did win in the end, against a side just 22 places below us in the league.

Forget the massive deflection and dubious penalty, United bottled it apparently :rolleyes:

Those Coventry players sensed an opening in literally the biggest game of their lives. Of course they were up for it at the point. While we had what could quite reasonably be considered a championship level defence and the rest of the team was filled with players either past it, never had it or, to be charitable, going through a really bad time.

Chill out folks. It really wasn't that bad.

pocco

loco
Yeah, first time I see the winning team acting like they lost the shootout. Conveyed my feelings perfectly, since I'd stopped caring if we win a while ago.
I had the same feeling when we won as I did just a few weeks ago when we nearly carried out daylight robbery against Brentford and went 1-0 up. And funnily enough, that day ETH talked about our inability to defend a lead, when we should have been absolutely hammered by Brentford. He's got quite a collection of bollocks he's talked now.

Herman Toothrot

We literally knocked Liverpool out the game before… We beat City too we’ve beaten the so called top two sides in the country.

That liverpool game was a classic too. We are bringing something. City are bringing the same dull by the numbers football and 115 charges to the table.

Hilarious we’ll be painted as the villains even as underdogs against a club that cheats in the final. I just find it funny all round.
We last beat City sixteen months ago, we can't still be celebrating that, can we? If so, well let's not forget Liverpool knocking seven goals past us since then.

The Liverpool game was a classic, I agree, so was the Coventry one. It's fun when an underdog does well.

Nobody will paint us as 'villains'.

We are underdogs.

Chumpsbechumps

Isn’t that the manager who Man United fans wanted out after 3 years in charge , in a season we finished 13th and only kept his job because of an FA cup run that needed Mark Robbins help in a less then convincing path to the final ? :lol:

Or are comparisons with Ferguson only allowed when he does something that makes ETH look bad ?

And before any Numpty jumps in , I’m not comparing ETH with SAF, I’m just pointing out it’s easy to pick and choose what parts of SAF career and qualities we want to use to make a point.

Last edited:

croadyman

Interesting for me is that Tuchel seems to have fallen out with the Chelsea hierarchy because he wanted to focus on a coaching role, as opposed to also having to deal with transfers.

It fits well with INEOS's rumoured vision for the job of first team 'manager' going forward.

If we win the FA cup, it gives both parties a great way to get what they want, including briefing to the press.
Yeah that's exactly why I feel he could be a good fit for the club,however like Ducker says we are right to be concerned about his character at previous clubs

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Spot on. We've boiled so much piss for years that they can't wait to batter United for absolutely anything. Cup upsets happen every year, yet we did win in the end, against a side just 22 places below us in the league.

Forget the massive deflection and dubious penalty, United bottled it apparently :rolleyes:

Those Coventry players sensed an opening in literally the biggest game of their lives. Of course they were up for it at the point. While we had what could quite reasonably be considered a championship level defence and the rest of the team was filled with players either past it, never had it or, to be charitable, going through a really bad time.

Chill out folks. It really wasn't that bad.
That defence had defenders costing £140m, and a £60m midfielder the manager had chosen to play there instead of someone who actually plays in defence for their national team (and whose legs haven't very clearly gone).

I still don't really understand why people are saying "it was just a flukey game" when what happened after 70 minutes was completely predictable based on how we've been playing for a whole season.

pocco

loco

Let's see if we beat City first before proclaiming it as anything. We beat Liverpool who had half their team made up of youth players by the time we took ascendancy.

I'd rather play like City than us. They're competing for the biggest trophies whilst we're competing for 7th place. We bring entertainment for the neutrals and opposition fans, where any team has a chance against us. That's not good for us though.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Interesting to see on another Utd forum they are backing him for calling out the media
I would agree with them if the media were wrong. The only reason people seem to back him up is because they want to have a dig at the media or because they follow a logic of "I can be honestly harsh but you can't."

hobbers

I'd perfectly understand this furious overreaction to the media coming after, I dunno, say, beating City in the final.

You know, actually achieving something of merit.

Phil

The fans reacted badly to the game, even those in the ground. The players accepted it wasn't good. The media called it for what it was. Yet he takes issue with it and thinks everyone else's reaction was wrong. He's honestly fecking deluded.
Bingo.

Also, has he been talking about how good our performances have been in spite of the results all year and now suddenly it's all about the result?

pocco

loco
Isn’t that the manager who Man United fans wanted out after 3 years in charge , in a season we finished 13th and only kept his job because of an FA cup run that needed Mark Robbins help in a less then convincing path to the final ? :lol:

Or are comparisons with Ferguson only allowed when he does something that makes ETH look bad ?

And before any Numpty jumps in , I’m not comparing ETH with SAF, I’m just pointing out it’s easy to pick and choose what parts of SAF career and qualities we want to use to make a point.
The issue with any comparison with Fergie at that point is what he'd already achieved at Aberdeen.

Chumpsbechumps

Respect him for calling out the media. They are cnuts.
So do I. I don’t get the fascination people have with interviews. It really doesn’t matter most of the time, what a manager says , particularly if they are doing well.

If they are doing poorly , everything and anything can and will be used against them.

I remember Ferguson keeping the media on a very tight leash. He’d say whatever he wanted and cause he was our guy we’d row in behind it. Remember SAF saying somebody could of been killed in a game which was funny because it was a load of bollox.

I see managers interviews as them saying what they feel needs to be said for the team or themselves. That can be lieing or not really saying how they really feel. I mean fans and media focusing on the manager means that the team gets less scrutiny, I used to think SAF used to say the craziest sh*t sometimes just to do that. He’d prob rip the hole off the team in the backround.

Regardless of what ETH says or why he’s saying it, I don’t think there’s anything he can say that won’t be twisted against him or could cause damage to the team. We look bereft of confidence, I don’t see how ETH saying we are dogsh*t bad can help in any capacity.

Teams who are actually challenging for top honors and have a real chance of it and who play consistently well can get rockets from their managers every so often.

Stadjer

That defence had defenders costing £140m, and a £60m midfielder the manager had chosen to play there instead of someone who actually plays in defence for their national team (and whose legs haven't very clearly gone).

I still don't really understand why people are saying "it was just a flukey game" when what happened after 70 minutes was completely predictable based on how we've been playing for a whole season.
It is just too bad it wasnt a bag of money defending then if all that matters is the value of the defenders. We would have won a game between bags of money pretty easy. Our expensive 40 million full back was the one giving away goals for free. Everyone knows we have been fleeced for Maguire who is decent but who will still lose on speed and agility against Championship players. That 140m isnt exactly 140m worth of quality.

Also i think having 'legs' is more important in midfield as if is to have 'legs' in central defense.

I certainly wasnt expecting to lose control like that against a Championship team.

Chumpsbechumps

The issue with any comparison with Fergie at that point is what he'd already achieved at Aberdeen.
And Aberdeen were a quality team in Scotland when he said it so there was already high standards there. There’s been no high standards at United since 2013, some of you keep pretending we are a super club, but we’ve been anything but that on field.

Toshey

Supports
Levski Sofia
feck the media.
Completely silent on City issues, shitting on United every chance they get.

It will be the same if Tuchel comes, english media are pushing for one of their local darlings Southgate or Potter to get the job.

Rojofiam

I don’t understand why anybody puts any stock in what a manager says to the press. It’s just platitudes and narrative. You can bet your bottom It’s totally different from what he’s saying in the changing room.

All managers do it, SAF was a master at it - they want to set the agenda and control the narrative which is fair enough. Doesn’t necessarily make it what they really believe.
Or on the sidelines...Ole got massacred for smiling on the sideline at 1-1 in the 90th minute vs Everton :lol: