Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 658 44.9%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 809 55.1%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
24 months ago we had the same failed people making the same failed footballing decisions. They were overspending on targets , giving stupid contracts and looking relatively clueless.

We have a new owner completely restructuring everything which should mean we get better value sales/buys, actually have a long term club plan that should make replacing managers easier and more efficient and have a lot of exciting looking younger players.

Looking at this season in isolation is a waste of time because the club will be run differently. SJR said something like it could be 2-3 years before we are properly challanging, so ETH is only saying what the owner has said. Doesn’t mean ETH will be our manager next year but it’s a message the club will be happy he is saying.
So, no?

Redstain

Last summer went brilliantly by all accounts, the club's business was done early and good players to strengthen the squad were acquired. So I see it as a false dichotomy to over-simply a complexity, which is that United performed poorly towards the end of last season (March) but did enough to get over the line. The manager then annunciated the intention to change the teams philosophy and the seasons misfortunes in performances came on the back of that decision.

His statements are an obfuscation to the real issue at hand and it's another example where he has lacked accountability. The most questionable results this season has come against teams that even a injured prone United by resources should beat, against teams who's regular 11 doesn't even come close to the reserve players that have been available.

HookedOnAPhelan

When this place turns on a manager some people just completely lose their minds. It's one thing to want him sacked, but you don't have to froth at the mouth at every little thing he says.

spwd

Not necessarily. He’s said he’s going to compete for top 4 if all players can stay healthy then let’s trust him. He might deliver this against all odds which would be a huge, huge achievement. Maybe he can take us where Villa and Spurs are, which very few managers are capable of.
You do make me laugh :lol:

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
There's an argument we're at a worse point, then there were some contracts coming to an end back then at least, we seemed to be tied to even more deadweight now. We have some promising younger players, I guess.

Redstain

There's an argument we're at a worse point, then there were some contracts coming to an end back then at least, we seemed to be tied to even more deadweight now. We have some promising younger players, I guess.
I think it's recency bias, the club got rid of the Lingards / Pogba's who were said to be problematic in the dressing room. Another poor season where the emphasis get's readjusted to the squad and the same players which are noted as deadwood are the very same individuals who have saved this manager some embarrassment this season (Scott, Maguire, Bruno) and the last campaign (Rashford).

JPRouve

Scout
If you look at the smaller picture , you are correct. If you look at the bigger picture you are wrong.
So if I look at the bigger picture, Ten Hag's work has put us closer to a title in the past 24 months? Fair enough.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
It’s not defeatism don’t be ridiculous.

our new owner himself has stated multiple times that it will take 2-3 seasons to bring the club to where it needs to be (competing for trophies). You’d have to be daft to think this team is 1 transfer season away from winning the league over City and Arsenal
There is zero need to say that, no need to let the players know how lowly you rate them. We have seen Liverpool go from barely top 4 to title contention in a short time, we have seen Arsenal do the same in the last two seasons. Also if we are this far from contending after £400m spend and two years of work it’s a testament to how underwhelming he has been.

Matriac

"If I only try starting Antony one more time then he will become a great player and people will understand my talent id and genius."

spiriticon

But we thought we were right? He thought we would right? Let's not rewrite history....

We are where we are because of decisions that have been made since, we were not destined to be where we are
Yeah, ETH's piss poor decisions are included.

I'm not rewriting history. We were not challenging 2 years ago, we are not challenging today, and will probably not challenge next year or the year after (if he's lucky enough to get a 1 year extension).

That's the ETH era in a nutshell.

NLunited

I never said he should start in place of Rashford but he wouldn't be any worse anyway. I was talking about Anthony and Forson and I think there was someone else too.

The opportunities he's been given have been ridiculously low especially after he scored that goal. He's basically frozen him out or put him on for a few minutes to waste time.
I said if he had played as many minutes as Anthony has I'm positive he would have proved that he is good enough and more productive than Anthony or anyone else who's been given minutes instead of him.
He has shown little goal threat yet. He works hard and looks composed on the ball, but he needs to contribute more than Antony or Rashford to deserve to
start over them.

FrantikChicken

There is zero need to say that, no need to let the players know how lowly you rate them. We have seen Liverpool go from barely top 4 to title contention in a short time, we have seen Arsenal do the same in the last two seasons. Also if we are this far from contending after £400m spend and two years of work it’s a testament to how underwhelming he has been.
But you’re assuming this, based on 0 evidence. Ten Hag has already stated that a fit current team competes for top 4. Also I doubt our players are delusional enough to think we have a squad to compete with City at the moment.

again, this statement has already been made by our new owner, it’s not like it’s an idea the players are hearing for the first time. You can bet that ten hag is telling the players what he’s been telling the press - we’re in this position because we’ve had terrible luck this season, not because of squad quality (at least that’s the stance he takes every presser).

also it took Liverpool 3 seasons to go from 4th to 1st, and if arsenal do it this year it’ll be 2 seasons as well, but they haven’t quite won it yet.

I think Ten Hag has made a lot of mistakes and needs to go but this is just not the stick to beat him with surely

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
"Eriksen's legs have gone" - Now he starts 2 games in a row.

The Gbp10m loan, a guy who was a "must have" as a Casemiro back-up, can't buy a start.

I don't think I have seen anyone as bad as him in terms of squad rotation and management. A total spoofer managing one of the biggest club in world football.

Rista

People saying "he's not wrong" as if that doesn't reflect on him and on the job that he has done here as well.

Chumpsbechumps

Just realised that if United lose today or Villa win, we officially cant make top 4. If there is any sort of top 4 clause preventing them from replacing ETH, we could see soon if it’s a factor.

Unless the 5th spot still technically leaves a chance of CL , even though there’s no way England is getting it.

Apokalips

It's not his biggest faux pas and I'm not outraged or anything, but he should have the ambition to try and win it all, reach for the stars etc.

He should be conveying belief in himself and his squad, this feels like Jose self preservation tactics 'my side is shit and I am working miracles with this shit'. He talks about how unstoppable Antony is and how great Rashford etc is, so what is it we need to be good enough in his opinion? I'd like to know. We went from 3rd to 6th - we spent a lot of money while Spurs lost possibly the best striker in the world but finish above us.

Ange said 5th is a fair reflection of Spurs season but pre season he wouldn't have taken 5th because he wanted to try and win the league, that is more of an inspiring and motivating conviction from your manager. Which would motivate you more - your coach telling you that he believes you're good enough to surprise people and challenge for the league or him publicly saying you're not good enough to fight for a title?

Leicester didn't win the league by believing they would only be good enough for 12th. Luton can't come up saying they're not good enough to stay up, they have to believe they can stay up or else the battle is lost before it has begun.

Having this mentality will not be beneficial to us achieving anything. At the top level you have to believe you can achieve what no one believes you can.

izec

He is one of the big reasons for why we are not in a position to do so. Has done feck all in the last 2 seasons to improve us and spent money on turds. We probably are worse off than 2 years ago, for sure not better. Clueless cnut

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Just realised that if United lose today or Villa win, we officially cant make top 4. If there is any sort of top 4 clause preventing them from replacing ETH, we could see soon if it’s a factor.

Unless the 5th spot still technically leaves a chance of CL , even though there’s no way England is getting it.
Apparently the clauses he has are under stipulation of no European football at all, not just CL. We should be fine as far as EL/ECL go.

Chumpsbechumps

Apparently the clauses he has are under stipulation of no European football at all, not just CL. We should be fine as far as EL/ECL go.
Really ? I mean, that’s a bit of a stupid clause cause United are seldom out of Europe even in a bad season.

I do wonder if part of it is because maybe CL isn’t as financially impactful as is made out. I was thinking about this.

United May save 50 million (25% player reduction clause) by not qualifying for CL which should in theory cover a lot if not most of CL monies. And the Sponcorship clauses don’t seem to be that massive.

Couple that with some Europa revenue, I really don’t think we financially lose out a lot. One way would be to compare this seasons revenue with last years in europa.

TBH, I don’t think a clause should really matter , if a manager is not going to work out, get rid…

FortunaUtd

Maybe we can hope for UEFA to introduce another European competition for league places 8-12, so we will not have to fear Ten Hag's tenure could be threatened by financially opportune sacking circumstances?

Ace of Spades

Pathetic quotes from a pathetic clown manager.

Should have been then asked if he is good enough of a a manger to get a team to win the PL.

leontas

He is one of the big reasons for why we are not in a position to do so. Has done feck all in the last 2 seasons to improve us and spent money on turds. We probably are worse off than 2 years ago, for sure not better. Clueless cnut
Basically this. When he says things like this he needs to recognize his culpability in not improving us. Has spent £400m and we’re arguably as bad as we were when he came on board. That’s inexcusable.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
People saying "he's not wrong" as if that doesn't reflect on him and on the job that he has done here as well.
Hes not wrong and that's not really relevant to his second season. The transfers were a shambles, yes, but he wasn't the problem as much as Murtough and Arnold were.

He had a bad second season. He's also not wrong in his statements. The two aren't mutually exclusive.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Pathetic quotes from a pathetic clown manager.

Should have been then asked if he is good enough of a a manger to get a team to win the PL.
I sort of want to hear him say more things that aren't remotely as contraversial as posts like these make out. Just to see the moaners bitch and cry more.

FortunaUtd

I do wonder if part of it is because maybe CL isn’t as financially impactful as is made out. I was thinking about this.

United May save 50 million (25% player reduction clause) by not qualifying for CL which should in theory cover a lot if not most of CL monies. And the Sponcorship clauses don’t seem to be that massive.

Couple that with some Europa revenue, I really don’t think we financially lose out a lot. One way would be to compare this seasons revenue with last years in europa.
True. It is a win-win if you think about it, everyone can be happy. Smart way to manage a football club.

Ace of Spades

I sort of want to hear him say more things that aren't remotely as contraversial as posts like these make out. Just to see the moaners bitch and cry more.
His pathetic comments are accepted by only his perennial ass kissing excuse makers.

JPRouve

Scout
I think that you can make both statements which is why I partially disagree with both "sides". He isn't wrong and for me it wasn't an imperative goal, I didn't expect us to definitely compete in year three, now the actual question that I have is how close are we and has he moved us in the right direction?

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Playing his pet fidget spinner is enough for the sack.

stevoc

This squad isn't winning the league with Pep as manager, so even if you dislike the manager the squad needs strengthening to compete for the top 2 positions
Where we should be after 2 years and where we actually are don't correlate and that's both with the managers performance this season and also the recruitment and squad building for the past 2 years
To be fair did I say we should be winning the league with this squad? Or did I say I dislike the manager?

I just don't think he's good enough and is the main change we have to make this summer.

stevoc

Wish he’d stop referring to the injuries as the reason why the season has been a shambles and take some responsibility for his decisions over the season
He's in self preservation mode, thinking about his reputation as he's likely oit if a job in a month Just like Moyes and others he hasn't got the stones to hold his hands up and admit he's failed.

despairingfool

Mainoo and Eriksen are useless in midfield. Mainoo should be playing higher upfield. I find he offers nothing as a midfield two. Very overrated. Eriksen is passed it and should be gotten rid of in the summer. I'd love if ETH played 5 midfielders and sacrificed our useless wings. Maybe we'd have a bit more control?