Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 284 39.9%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 428 60.1%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Shark

@NotShark
People already writing him off are a special kind of negative though. Even by SadCafe standards.
Writing him off is lunacy but our poisonous owners and board look to be setting him up to have a terrible campaign. There's no getting away from that.

Keefy18

People already writing him off are a special kind of negative though. Even by SadCafe standards.
I think everyone wants him to succeed, but if I was to go with my gut instinct I think he will fail ultimately for a number of reasons.

Red-17

Do we love living in perpetual pessimism or what?
Pathetic the amount of people posting this shite 1 game into the season. Remember how we annihilated Leeds last year and went on to win the treble? Brighton are one of the worst sides we could have faced apart from the obvious big sides as they are one of the better coached teams in the league, whereas we are still learning the basics of a system. Anyone being this reactionary about a manager deserves to be ignored. Yes there are problems squad wise that obviously need to be rectified, most notably in midfield, but that is not his main responsibility.

Tap

More likely he will be gone after his 2nd session here than us winning a trophy

DutchCruijff

After one game? :lol:
?

Have you seen the state of the squad and its past performances?

The reasoning here isn't Ten Hag's tactical ability.

It's (a) the squad he has and (b) his targets.

If he is not willing to be flexible in who he signs, if we're not competent in sealing deals then we're stuck with the same squad who he will try to get a tune out of and will certainly fail. I don't want to see that happen.

I want him to be flexible in who his targets are, I want us to close out deals but who have we been linked to regarding RB or CDM or CM (other than De Jong) or RW (other than Antony) or CF - Arnautovic, really?

Last edited:

Keefy18

The sorry state of our club is not on him.
It's not, but picking the starting XI he did today is.

Eriksen as false 9 with Rashford out wide? The latter is the more painfully obvious option!
McFred
Shaw

Bizarre subs leaving McTominay on booked and hooking Fred and then a triple sub in the 90th min?

He got it horrendously wrong.

witchtrials

Curious to know if anyone thinks they could detect anything distinctive in the way we played today that was distinctively different from under Solskjaer or Rangnick? I'm looking for reasons to be hopeful here but honestly if you shuffled that performance up with any others from the last year I'm not sure I could tell the difference.

Lincm

Supports
Arsenal
There's probably a lot of expecations for ETH to do something given his street cred and achievements at Ajax.

Coupled with United's own legacy (beyond the last ten years), there's a strong impatience to scrutinize every small decision that's made, even if he is a new manager at a new club, and also dealing with a lack of quality players inherited from previous leadership.

Perhaps it might be good to give him that time, and not hope he's going to work miracles, which isn't to say accept mediocrity (That gets thrown a lot at another club and manager). It's giving ETH time to implement his plan, and eventually prove the results.

To my knowledge, the only club that has performed decently well in the premier league with a revolving door policy has been Chelsea. Even City needed to give their managers time (manici took 3 years, pellegrini won it off the bat but it went downhill from there, guardiola needed two years.)

I’m loving my life

Writing him off is lunacy but our poisonous owners and board look to be setting him up to have a terrible campaign. There's no getting away from that.
Exactly

All anger needs to be directed at the owners, the ineffective Arnold/Woody2.0 and the shambolic ‘DoF’, Murtough. The one good thing amongst the sea of feck ups that we have done recently is employ a decent manager. The people running the club need to hang their heads in shame for giving him the worst possible platform to start with.

mu4c_20le

?

Have you seen the state of the squad and its past performances?

The reasoning here isn't Ten Hag's tactical ability.

It's (a) the squad he has and (b) his targets.
We did beat Brighton 2-0 last season with this squad and Elanga starting...

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I think many are extremely negative about not ETH but the way our club is run from the top. Based on his work at Ajax ETH seems to be a good choice but it seems futile to have any expectations when this broken mess of a team doesn't get the overhaul it really needs. We should be on fire this summer getting business done with real intent.

The United

Pathetic the amount of people posting this shite 1 game into the season. Remember how we annihilated Leeds last year and went on to win the treble? Brighton are one of the worst sides we could have faced apart from the obvious big sides as they are one of the better coached teams in the league, whereas we are still learning the basics of a system. Anyone being this reactionary about a manager deserves to be ignored. Yes there are problems squad wise that obviously need to be rectified, most notably in midfield, but that is not his main responsibility.
Yeah, but they don't usually win at Old Trafford. The formation he put out was not exactly part of his regular system though? I mean it would be very concerning if it is.

Every manager has some weird shit going on with them. Most people are questioning about those of his in this game tbf. You hope he learnt from it and does better at doing his weird things.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
It will happen in time, it's a process. I don't expect this squad to win the league but they are still better than what they showed today. The nerves when in possession was LVGesque. We need to support him properly and give him time to implement the plan.
My expectations are not that high for this season, I know it will take time to rebuild this team. I was however expecting a better performance. When we got that goal back I expected us to be all over them. It was a bit disappointing. Think he might have realised the pre-season was just the boys on a bit of a jolly.

mikeyt

Anyone putting this on ETH is crazy. They guy is working with half arsed players who are just not up to it in the main.

I feel really sorry for him, he's taken a job that unless the board stop mucking about and give him some serious funds with a competent person spending them, he's not got a hope.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
How can a professional manager look at Dalot and think yeah he's good enough to start lets bring in a LB instead.
Shocking business in the market from us.
Get a few players in and we'd look much better.

ETH isn't Jesus
There should be a strong DOF and a recruitment team in place. Murtough had 6 months to get the set up right and should have let Bout/Lawlor go with OGS and had replacements in soon after. He cocked it up very badly andit looks like that’s why ETH is going for Eredivisie players etc. - At Liverpool, Klopp wanted Brandt early on but Edwards insisted on Salah. There’s got be dive and take of course, but to hire a training ground coach and then wing it when he gets in is a bit of a disaster.

Trex

We really need to back ETH if there's any remote chance of success, Mcfred have to stop being a thing, they're simply not good enough, under this brand of football they will be further exposed.
This team as it is can't play this brand of football effectively, we either pull out all the stops to get Frenkie at this point or go back to counter attack football or we'll be in for a very long season.
I'll like to see the set up next week, I don't think Eriksen can do the defensive duties of that "connector" role. Its could get terribly bad.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
It will happen in time, it's a process. I don't expect this squad to win the league but they are still better than what they showed today. The nerves when in possession was LVGesque. We need to support him properly and give him time to implement the plan.
How are they better when half the team aren't good enough to be United players? Even great managers can only do so much with what they have at their disposal. I agree we need to support him properly but for me that means ripping up the squad and letting him bring in his own players. Not depending on the ones we already have.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Our manager threads always become bipolar, but it is happening too soon this time.
Either we accept we are going to give eth some time or no point hiring a new manager.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
We obviously have to give him time but I hope he realises very soon that he cannot rely on players like McTominay and Rashford.

The United

Fell into same trap as LVG did. "Every player deserves a second chance".
What a load of BS.
Well, what else can he do or say?

The board won't back him. He does have to look at his long term future with the club as much as possible.

OmarUnited4ever

I can't argue against those who are pessimistic about Ten Hag after today's game, but I'm at least hopeful that he won't let this performance slide and I'm hopeful he will let these players know that this is just not acceptable.

I'm also hopeful he will rethink the selections he made today and adjust accordingly.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Yep, typically standard responses after one meaningful game. What planet do these people live on?
This is not something that can be fixed overnight, it will take a couple of seasons to get the team/squad that Ten Hag wants.
So ETH knows the problems? He hasn't had many opportunities to form an opinion on players as yet, but he sure as hell has a better idea now.
I said before the season started that the whole of the back five (Martinez was not playing in that game) with Fred and McTominay would not be in the team at the start of season 24/25, and I stand by that.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I can't argue against those who are pessimistic about Ten Hag after today's game, but I'm at least hopeful that he won't let this performance slide and I'm hopeful he will let these players know that this is just not acceptable.

I'm also hopeful he will rethink the selections he made today and adjust accordingly.
This

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Gotta disagree with this. Not one EPL club are out on their feet after 30 minutes of ok pressing. They didn’t even press that much, just passed around us
We got a lot better when Eriksen dropped deep and we started passing around their forward press a bit.
Even if that was true (I don't think it is but it's up for debate), it has nothing to day with the fantasy of "seeing the Ten Hag style" but simply because football is easier when one of your midfielders can actually perform a decent control/pass.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Conte did at Spurs
Think if we do not get him his midfielder he might just say something, because if he has to persist with McFred it will be a problem for him. I just hope they have not told him it is all on sales, not with how we conduct our sales.

Carlsen19

Don't listen to my lies RE: Lineups
Needs to be ruthless. Nobody deserves a ‘second chance’ they’ve had a thousand of them, it’s not working and it’s not going to work. Drop the useless cnuts and play the youngsters if needs be, there’s no way Iqbal would have been any worse than McTominay today for example.

DutchCruijff

Why do people keep saying "time"? Time for what? To coach McTominay and Rashford?

He needs players. And he needs to be flexible in his targets. We need a wholesale changes yet we've been linked to zero RBs or CDMs.

It's absurd. We cannot persist solely on De Jong and Antony and then have no alternatives to fall back on. His alternative after Sesko is Arnautovic, a former Twente player of his. This isn't sustainable. And it's laughable anyone who thinks it is.

At the same time, he must get out of this idea of "if we don't get the right player, we will do what we can with what we've got" - Fred, McTominay, Fernandes, Rashford et al are fundamentally flawed footballers. It will cost him his job.

The recruitment has been pathetic. Arnold and Murtough are a disgrace alongside the Glazers. We've come off of such an awful season and we've made no material difference to our XI. It's utterly laughable.

A GK to challenge De Gea, a RB, a CDM, a CM, a RW and a #9 to challenge Ronaldo. THAT is what we need.

Ten Hag isn't going to get that and he won't get a tune out of who we have at the club. He is going to falter, can see it from a mile off.

Ace_Ventura

You can't judge anything from just 1 game so he obviously deserves to be backed considering how successful he has been previously, having said that I had no idea what he wanted to do in the 1st half, there were so many false position players, 9,10,8. Really think the tactics hampered us the most in the 1st half. Hopefully he learns from it and we improve.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Yep, he hasn't been able to implement his ideas yet, basically.
Well unless he’s Jesus he can’t do miracles. Are people going to let it sink in yet that this is a huge job and it will take a season and a few more new players till it starts to bear fruit.

he needs time to get his coaching idea across