Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

stevoc

I would only fire him for a better manager who is a winner. Keep him one more year and sign Ancelotti next year because it is his last year with Real Madrid.
Ancelotti just signed a new deal until 2026.

And as much as I'd have loved Carlo to come here at some point. I'm not sure there's much forward thinking in replacing a 55 year old manager with a 65 year old one.

Giggsyking

You make it sound like Manchester is Madrid. I'm not sure Don Carlo will be arsed about saving Manchester United at this stage of his career. He can probably pick any job after Madrid, he was going to Brazil until they renewed. I think he has different ideas along the lines of semi retirement next, not firefighting.
Imagine being willing to throw away another season, for any reason. Also, Ancelotti isn't coming here, and honestly, I'm not sure he'd succeed here anyway.
And we should sign some real Madrid cast offs while we're at it. It'd be incredible

Ancelotti would love to come here, united despite our fall is a prestigious club with gigantic history and huge pull. His contract runs out in the next summer just when Ten Hags contract runs out. Listen I am not totally against sacking Ten Hag, but if the alternatives are premiership or midtable teams managers, then I would not make that step. There are still good managers like Tuchel who I would take if we had to sack Ten Hag.

Giggsyking

Ancelotti just signed a new deal until 2026.

And as much as I'd have loved Carlo to come here at some point. I'm not sure there's much forward thinking in replacing a 55 year old manager with a 65 year old one.
My bad I thought it was until next summer. Never mind. I guess we are stuck with mediocre managers.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
My bad I thought it was until next summer. Never mind. I guess we are stuck with mediocre managers.
There's only 2 or 3 managers that could be classed definitely world class. The others have either been that and dropped well off, or are on the road to possibly being world class.
Ten Hag could have been one of the latter but it's not worked out. Going for another who "could" reach that level, possibly McKenna has to therefore be considered, over the failed at a few clubs like Poch and Tuchel types who had a good season or 2.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Just because someone is at a midtable club it does not mean that they are mediocre. You have a very limited way of looking at things. Following your view we’d only have 2-3 managers to aim for. Its nonsense. Was Pep world class when he took over Barca from its youth teams? Was zidane world class when he took over Madrid the first time? Was Kenny Dalglish when he became player manager at Liverpool? Was Alex Ferguson when he took over United? Take those limiting goggles off and look less at where they are coming from

crossy1686

career ending
Ancelotti would love to come here, united despite our fall is a prestigious club with gigantic history and huge pull. His contract runs out in the next summer just when Ten Hags contract runs out. Listen I am not totally against sacking Ten Hag, but if the alternatives are premiership or midtable teams managers, then I would not make that step. There are still good managers like Tuchel who I would take if we had to sack Ten Hag.
And you know this on what authority other than you want it to be true? As I said previously, he was about to semi retire to Brazil last season, why would he decide to move to Manchester instead?

EireRed_GS

This whole sage has been handled pretty badly this week in regards to the manager situation.

It seems with the reports (if to be believed). that the club have been talking with other figures about replacing the manager, in the lead up to the fckin biggest game of our season!? Thats bad form by them there.

If you had already decided he was to go, they should have just announced it already instead of leaving this uncertainty lingering about the club at the worst time.

i always thought this game vs City would have no bearing on his fate really, (if the defeats at home to the likes of Fulham, Palace & Bournemouth dont do it, I doubt this will) and with how the club and EtH have been talking recently, it seemed he was going nowhere.

It all just seems like disruption at the worst worst time.

Maticmaker

Seems harsh but it could be true.

The other side of this coin is that in football 'management fatigue' creeps in, its arguable that is what has happened to Klopp and 'noises off' suggest Pep will be seeking a rest after next year.

I think Chelsea will be Pochettino's last big job, probably end up somewhere like Spurs, Everton or Newcastle next.
Really, I would have thought if he does not land at OT, he'd be off abroad somewhere, Italy or Spain?

OmarUnited4ever

There's only 2 or 3 managers that could be classed definitely world class. The others have either been that and dropped well off, or are on the road to possibly being world class.
Ten Hag could have been one of the latter but it's not worked out. Going for another who "could" reach that level, possibly McKenna has to therefore be considered, over the failed at a few clubs like Poch and Tuchel types who had a good season or 2.
I am of the same opinion as the bolded, let's shake things up and get a fresh face that is ready to work with a structure, be it Mckenna or Amorim or anyone of that elk, let's move away from the obvious names that has been around the block like Poch & Tuchel, we need a proper structure of DoF, and an entire team that is solely focused on player recruitment, and a Head Coach that is solely focused on coaching and implementing a style of football, and the 2 should work in tandem under the supervision of a DoF.

NLunited

By now every man and his dog knows that the whole setup is rotten. Ratcliffe himself admitted it and amends are being made. However that doesn't mean that the manager is flawless either. ETH demanded near full power as a condition of joining Manchester United. Yet here we are, in 8 place and probably with no European football to compete in. There's so many things that the manager is to be blamed for including his obsession with Eredivisie players, his obsession with playing 2 No 10s in CM and the way he mishandled the Sancho case. Don't take me wrong, Jadon should have been sold. However was it wise to spill things in the open which only contributed in him getting the loan move he wanted and us paying most of his salary?

The timing is quite odious TBF. Unfortunately there aren't many good managers available and there's too many clubs searching for a manager. That makes it a managerial market out there. That means that we either move quickly or we will end up digging in the thrash bin.

There's also a chance that ETH doesn't want to relinquish his power or having fully bought into the INEOS project. We mustn't forget that under ETH, Manchester United relied heavily on SEG ie the same agency that ETH works with and ETH's son works for. Hojlund is represented by SEG and it also helped in Amrabat's deal. Therefore I wonder if ETH would want to work with someone who doesn't give SEG a prominent role on transfers.
It sounds like Ten Hag was open about working in a different structure, but we don’t really know.

Managers get fired all the time. There’s no one on the market right now that we must sign or miss out on a great manager. Maybe Arne Slot, he’s gone.

We can sign the best available or take a punt on McKenna. Or wait if Ten Hag relationship isn’t broken and see what happens.

Jadon: must never play for us again.

I’m concerned about SEG: they have handled some transfers in a dodgy way (Stefan de Vrij sued them) and it appears there is a conflict of interest. On the other hand, it may have helped get Højlund here, dodgy or not.

Giggsyking

Just because someone is at a midtable club it does not mean that they are mediocre. You have a very limited way of looking at things. Following your view we’d only have 2-3 managers to aim for. Its nonsense. Was Pep world class when he took over Barca from its youth teams? Was zidane world class when he took over Madrid the first time? Was Kenny Dalglish when he became player manager at Liverpool? Was Alex Ferguson when he took over United? Take those limiting goggles off and look less at where they are coming from
I know a manager has to start his career somewhere. But I do not think united is the team to start any manager's career. We are too big to be a learn on the go project.

Sir Alex was already a winner, not only on the local stage, but also European. He knew exactly how to win.

golden_blunder

Staff
I know a manager has to start his career somewhere. But I do not think united is the team to start any manager's career. We are too big to be a learn on the go project.

Sir Alex was already a winner, not only on the local stage, but also European. He knew exactly how to win.
Ok and pep & zidane starting their management career at 2 of the biggest clubs in the world?

and it’s not like McKenna is starting his career. He’s clearly done that. The question for the panel is he ready for the next step & can he handle the biggest expectations

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
I actually believe the reports that the decision on his sacking hasn't been made yet. The use of the word "should" in all the reports is quite telling, imo. My guess is INEOS don't want to make that decision before they have got all their ducks in a row. They want to get the management team in place before they make a change. They are looking for a lifeline on Saturday. If we win the cup, a case can be made for keeping the manager who has won two cups in two seasons. You can easily dismiss the folks who want to look at this holistically as naysayers or "haters" (if you are 5 years old). I bet you the poll on here will go from 30% to more than 50% if we win on Saturday. It would be easy to get majority of the fans behind the decision to keep him.

I also don't think they'll offer him a new contract. By December it'll be announced that a new contract won't be offered and ETH will leave by the end of the 24-25 season.

sepulturite

For the people who are saying this is terrible that all this has leaked and that's it's not fair on ETH, I think he's known for some weeks that he's going at the end of the season, he was told by Ineos back then I reckon. So this isn't a shock to him. It feels very different to what happened with LVG.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
For the people who are saying this is terrible that all this has leaked and that's it's not fair on ETH, I think he's known for some weeks that he's going at the end of the season, he was told by Ineos back then I reckon. So this isn't a shock to him. It feels very different to what happened with LVG.
It isn't terrible. He underperformed and now his job is under threat. That's pretty much what happens everywhere, not just in football, but in most employments.

He would be lucky if he manages to stay on, but no one sensible can have any complaints about him being let go after a terrible campaign.

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
It isn't terrible. He underperformed and now his job is under threat. That's pretty much what happens everywhere, not just in football, but in most employments.

He would be lucky if he manages to stay on, but no one sensible can have any complaints about him being let go after a terrible campaign.
How the feck has he underperformed? With all these injuries and team composition did People expected title challenge?

IMHO his biggest failure was the transfer market. With the benefit of hindsight Onana, Mount, Antony, Ambrat deals are on him and IMHO we wasted shit loads of money

Shark

@NotShark

Some United fans are far too sensitive when it comes to failed managers. It's been a beyond disastrous season and under normal big club circumstances he could have been gone after finishing last in that CL group. Instead he's been allowed to see out the campaign because of new ownership.

AndySmith1990

How the feck has he underperformed? With all these injuries and team composition did People expected title challenge?
Uh huh. There's definitely no middle ground between 8th and challenging for the title.

Obviously he's underperformed. Why would this ever be up for discussion.

sepulturite

Yeh I know, I'm talking about the people in this thread that have been saying that it's terrible, not that I think it's terrible myself.

Shark

@NotShark

IMHO his biggest failure was the transfer market. With the benefit of hindsight Onana, Mount, Antony, Ambrat deals are on him and IMHO we wasted shit loads of money
No. However, would you have expected us to finish bottom of our CL group consisting of Copenhagen and Galatasaray? Then finish the league campaign in 8th losing 14 games. You don't think any other manager would have avoided either of those?

erikcred

How the feck has he failed in the transfer market? With the shit scouting and structure above him, were you expecting him to find the next Messi for 3 million in a south American second division league all by himself?

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
8th isn't underperforming at this club anymore apparently.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Looks like last game tomorrow, hopefully he goes out with a win and some respect. Hasn't gone well this season and the Glazers/club have definitely fecked him over a good amount and given him a poor chance of success, but I wish him the best and he's been more likable and respectful than guys like Moyes, Van Gaal and Mourinho were.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
I don't like the noise around the next manager while Ten Hag is still here. The talks with McKenna just seemed so public.

Shark

@NotShark
Looks like last game tomorrow, hopefully he goes out with a win and some respect. Hasn't gone well this season and the Glazers/club have definitely fecked him over a good amount and given him a poor chance of success, but I wish him the best and he's been more likable and respectful than guys like Moyes, Van Gaal and Mourinho were.
I don't think anyone genuinely hates the guy. Even when I talk to fans in real life, there's no hatred there, only disappointment. I'd be in that camp, just terribly disappointed.

sparx99

Ok and pep & zidane starting their management career at 2 of the biggest clubs in the world?

and it’s not like McKenna is starting his career. He’s clearly done that. The question for the panel is he ready for the next step & can he handle the biggest expectations
And McKenna did work for us for 6 years already. He knows the club inside and out.

maximus419

I don't like the noise around the next manager while Ten Hag is still here. The talks with McKenna just seemed so public.
In the perfect world you would only talk or make contact with other managers after Ten Hag has been sacked, but what if you miss out because you dithered and someone else came in and got that guy instead?

You have to be ruthless in business, especially sport and football, he knew his position wasn't secure and will have been round long enough to know that's how it works. Fans have to stop being so sensitive to stuff like this, it's just business.

Prophet_of_Doom

And McKenna did work for us for 6 years already. He knows the club inside and out.
That's my only concern about him. He would be my top choice, but he has been there during some of our most chaotic periods, worked under Rangnick, and there were rumours then of players not having a great deal of respect for him or his methods. Will he have lost the dressing room before he even arrives?!

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.

Finished bottom of the CL group.
Finished 8th in the PL. Yes, 8th.

golden_blunder

Staff
That's my only concern about him. He would be my top choice, but he has been there during some of our most chaotic periods, worked under Rangnick, and there were rumours then of players not having a great deal of respect for him or his methods. Will he have lost the dressing room before he even arrives?!
Half the squad is new since then. He will have the backing of the younger players I’m sure. The other ones can do one if they are not prepared to buy in to a new coach