Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Should ETH be kept on or fired by INEOS

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

mu4c_20le

He’s had 6 weeks with the team and had done feck all, Ralf was thrown into the deep end and everyone laughed at him for telling the world we need a new team…
I still laugh. Imagine if ole took over mourinho who himself finished 2nd and said he needed a new XI

lysglimt

Scout
A much worse team 2 games in with only bringing in 3 reinforcements compared to losing 7. A much worse team because the style he wants long term is making the players look worse due to lack of ability.
You don't lose 4-0 the way we did today without the manager taking a huge part of the blame.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
When you say two months you mean two games right?
He's had all summer to create a new culture at the club and to work with the players behind the scenes. Tuchel did it at Chelsea within a few weeks. There really is no excuses for it to be EXACTLY the same as last season with a new manager and some new faces in the team, and a new coaching staff.

ilrm

Supports
Real Madrid
He's an excellent manager but our squad is mid table standard at best.
The squad is better than what Brighton and Brentford have. The first 2 defeats are on EtH. Eriksen is not a CM. Why are Rashford and Sancho not subbed at HT? Spending 55m on a CB should not have been a priority. Spending extra on a RW, RB and DLP should have taken precedence. This is all on EtH.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
He's had all summer to create a new culture at the club and to work with the players behind the scenes. Tuchel did it at Chelsea within a few weeks. There really is no excuses for it to be EXACTLY the same as last season with a new manager and some new faces in the team, and a new coaching staff.
I mean even Rangnick managed a solid 30 minutes from these players after like a single training session

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Jose was the best we had post fergie and should have been backed heavily. The ineptitude to not give him what he wants is why we are here in this mess.

Ole should have never got the job. ETH needs to be able to get rid of who he doesn't want and buy who he asks for

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Ten Hag shouldn’t take responsibility for these bunch of players! Ten Hag is a good manager. These same players did the exact same with Solskjær and with rangnick. Until we somehow get rid of them then things are only going to get worse. Throw them all under the bus because there useless.

Flexdegea

Insulting another member
And it's HIS job as MANAGER to instill confidence and belief. He's had a few months now, they are worse than they were under Ralph.

You sound like a idiot no offence. Not trying to offence you, but we going round circles, same issues.........now manager getting same abuse because he can't polish a worse turd than last season.

He might be making mistakes with formation and maybe tactics but they brought him in to play a certain way, and he laid out of the wow plan and they've left him with no real signing he needs to make it happen, so looks like 2 different plans of action happening.

Yeah but it's the manager fault :lol:

The Mitcher

I mean even Rangnick managed a solid 30 minutes from these players after like a single training session
Even rangnick managed a solitary 30 before not bothering again. Indeed. Things should not be the same, yet they are. Which makes one wonder what the hell ETH is doing?

CM

Excuses. He also has had time to assess them and find a system that suits them while a transition is made. He hasn't. He could play any of the reserve players who give a shit, yet he doesn't. He CHOSEvto give these players a clean slate rather than be ruthless, it's a logical decision, but he kept players that SHOULD NOT be here.
Do you really believe he's chosen that or do you think he's been told by the club that he won't be able to sign all of the players he wants?

Even the positions he's said publicly in the press that he wants to sign from early in the summer still haven't arrived here. All of this is symptomatic of owners who simply do not give a shit. We've been getting embarrassed under successive managers - Solskjaer, Rangnick and ten Hag. This isn't about the manager, these players have proven that they're not capable of cutting it at this level. Even over the summer there was a purge of 6 or 7 whose contracts ran out. We've brought in 3 new players. There's just no way the manager has chosen that.

Dazzmondo

Just looked at our schedule up to November. There are only 2 fixtures in that time I'd be somewhat confident of winning, Southampton and Everton, and maybe I shouldn't even be confident considering we drew 3 games and only managed one 1-0 win against them (Everton) last season. I honestly think ETH could get sacked. If we're close to the relegation zone by October the Glazers will act.

In Rainbows

So? Whats the rules here. You can only say positive things until what 6 months in? 8 months? What is it?
You don't have to be positive. There's a difference between that and questioning the manager's aptitude 2 games in. Give him time to actually make changes. Let the manager find out who he can trust and who absolutely cannot be considered even a squad player.

Every player, even a good one can have a bad match or two. Knowing this, how can you extrapolate an entire season's performance based on that? You can't just be completely reactionary and make wholesale changes every match with no continuity in the squad. It's not good for anybody. The new players will not be able to get used to their own teammates if you do things that way.

What you guys are asking for is
1. New keeper by match 3
2. Maguire no longer CB. Play Varane.
3. Malacia as the starter now
4. No more Dalot
5. Bench Rashford, start Garnacho
6. Bench Bruno
7. Get another #6 after trying Fred, knowing McTominay can't do it, and having tried Erikson
8. Play Garner
9. Play Iqbal

And I agree with a lot of these asks btw! I just don't think any sane coach will do these all at once, because every change has the potential to fail also. They too will have to be taken out if we're being reactionary. And so on and so on. There has to be some continuity.

As long as I see changes (over a longer period of time than just a match per change), I'll be happy.

We've already started with trying out different 6s. Next it will be good to see Malacia take over for Shaw as he did after a half. If we get 2 new midfielder, it will be far easier to replace Bruno with Erikson and see some continuity in the middle of the park because they will be on a longer leash.

Hawks2008

He has either underestimated the PL or overrated this group of players.

Either way it's going to cost him his job if he can't adapt soon.

The Mitcher

You sound like a idiot no offence. Not trying to offence you, but we going round circles, same issues.........now manager getting same abuse because he can't polish a worse turd than last season.

He might be making mistakes with formation and maybe tactics but they brought him in to play a certain way, and he laid out of the wow plan and they've left him with no real signing he needs to make it happen, so looks like 2 different plans of action happening.

Yeah but it's the manager fault :lol:
Insults get you nowhere here, mate.

Who picked the team? Who has been coaching them? Who picked the tactics? I'll give you a guess.

PedroMendez

Acolyte
This is certainly a good point, but isn't it also the managers job to get them to play with that intensity? Call it motivation or whatever, but a geriatric Ronaldo aside, every one of them can run. It's also the coach's job to make sure they do
its certainly his job. I am not trying to make excuses for him and it will end his career at United soon if he can't fix this. There are only so many beatings one can take before he becomes untenable.
What is noticeable is, that this is a problem for years now and multiple managers have failed to solve it. I don't understand how thats possible, so its hard to know how to fix it. It should be high up the agenda for everybody who has any say in the club.

GiddyUp

You don't lose 4-0 the way we did today without the manager taking a huge part of the blame.
Maybe a little but we have all seen enough of these players to know they don't give a feck about playing any semblance of competant football for this club.

pcaming

United are an embarrassment.
What I don’t get is how someone came from Ajax and then settled for Fred and mctominay. We needed midfielders and didn’t feel the need for anyone but FDJ, who is most certainly not coming here now after these two games. We are blunt, soft and leaky, a complete failure of a team.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
Maybe a little but we have all seen enough of these players to know they don't give a feck about playing any semblance of competant football for this club.
But it's his job to make sure they play like they give a feck and to play the ones that actually do

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
if the 11/12 players that play week in week out are the best trainers and the best on show then he has no choice but to play some u21s. what has rashford done for 2 seasons now? what has maguire shown when we have a million center backs at the club? the midfield gets overrun every week any way, chuck garner or savage or iqbal in and give them a run of games. just do something. if you didn’t know who was on the sideline you could have been watching an ole or ralf team. it’s clear these players just don’t have it. he needs to do something different.
if grown men got manhandled, kids aren’t going to fare better and it might do more harm to their self confidence than any good to throw them in the lions den because the people upstairs went into the season ineptly unprepared.

feck, I get angry typing this. Murtoughs head should be on a pike for this ineptitude.

The Mitcher

Do you really believe he's chosen that or do you think he's been told by the club that he won't be able to sign all of the players he wants?

Even the positions he's said publicly in the press that he wants to sign from early in the summer still haven't arrived here. All of this is symptomatic of owners who simply do not give a shit. We've been getting embarrassed under successive managers - Solskjaer, Rangnick and ten Hag. This isn't about the manager, these players have proven that they're not capable of cutting it at this level. Even over the summer there was a purge of 6 or 7 whose contracts ran out. We've brought in 3 new players. There's just no way the manager has chosen that.
Yes, because Arnold doesn't get involved with footballing matters. He leaves tgat to Ten Hag and co.

The amount of mental gymnastics is not worth a serious response. Go ahead and delude yourself that ETH is perfect and can make no mistakes.

Knux

Supports
AIK Stockholm
To be honest I, for one, think ETH needs to be given time. However, as fans we must be willing to call things out even it that means criticising the manager when he deserves it. I have no idea what targets have been set for ETH this season., but at the end of the season his performance should be assessed in light of them. It is fairly clear that Ten Hag has taken on a challenge far bigger than even he imagined. If he is up to challenge it is going to take a while, there is no doubt about that. But he needs to be given the time.
I agree, this would be a huge job for every manager out there. And EtH’s brave to take the challenge. But now he needs to show How ruthless he really are.
We (supporters) Will have to stand by him and give him time. However, there are some questionmarks as you’ve Said.

1. The captain situation and Maguire as first choice CB. I dont like this decision at all. It’s an easy way out for EtH as I see it. But honestly I dont think it Will work.

2. He must be ruthless from the start Because these players are always looking for an easy way out to the next paycheck.

3. He must sort out the Ronaldo situation before the window close. Unfortunaly we must get rid, Because he wants out.

4. He must sort out the midfield situation. We need a new midfield NOW. Glazers hold their money tight but ANYTHING Will be an upgrade on our current options. Seriously, if we can’t get De Jong. There’s still atleast ten other CM/DM’s that would make our squad better. We need a £100mill investment on the midfield To even have a Chance for EL spots tbh.

5. Relax and give him time to settle a squad.
I try to remind myself that Klopp came 8th his first season at Liverpool.

GiddyUp

Insults get you nowhere here, mate.

Who picked the team? Who has been coaching them? Who picked the tactics? I'll give you a guess.
Who plays for the team? Who has been coached? Who has been given the tactics?
These players have been a joke under multiple coaches and still continue to be absolutely shite. It's time the fanbase went after these players instead of excusing them.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Why has he come in and decided he knows better after saying that? The line up today was so naive.

CM

Yes, because Arnold doesn't get involved with footballing matters. He leaves tgat to Ten Hag and co.

The amount of mental gymnastics is not worth a serious response. Go ahead and delude yourself that ETH is perfect and can make no mistakes.
We've not recruited like a serious football club for the last decade. If you think that's because every single manager we've hired in that time instead of the parasite owners who haven't put the infrastructure in place then I don't know what to say to you.

It really isn't that difficult to work out what's going on here.

Also, do you believe that leaving all the recruitment to the manager is a viable strategy, in any case? That doesn't happen at any of the other top clubs in world football.

The United

These players have been a joke under multiple coaches and still continue to be absolutely shite. It's time the fanbase went after these players instead of excusing them.
Is it time? I mean, that's what we fans have been doing probably since the club was founded over 100 years ago, going after players.

The Mitcher

Most of them should be gone, yet they are never shifted. That is on the manager and staff.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
if grown men got manhandled, kids aren’t going to fare better and it might do more harm to their self confidence than any good to throw them in the lions den because the people upstairs went into the season ineptly unprepared.

feck, I get angry typing this. Murtoughs head should be on a pike for this ineptitude.
it would be sink or swim for them for sure. it might make them as players. it also might make the likes of maguire and rashford take a look at themselves and decide if the current version of them is what they expect from themselves. we’re a mess of a club at the minute but i’d have thought professional pride would kick in and they’d at least played like they cared or tried to force a transfer away. i’d pay a penny for ronaldo’s thoughts since returning. his body is obviously giving up on him but it’s clear he’s sussed the club and his teammates out and that’s why he wants to go.

Irwin99

Part of the worry for me is that, yes we look like we'll concede a feck ton of goals and with the state of our full backs and midfield (and goalkeeper in some respects) that's inevitable sadly, but the attack looks extremely blunt at times. I can see attack patterns and a few promising situations here and there but it does look a bit toothless. Worrying lack of energy at times too.

Extremely early days and hopefully we'll improve but if you've got a defence and midfield that oppo teams can just walk through and you don't have an effective attack then...it's gonna be a long old season :( .

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
Yes, but that second part is surely something you judge for something longer than 2 matches?
Maybe, yes. It just boggles the mind how the team can be so defeated two games into his reign. Mentally broken already. Now of course I don't know the reasons, but I'd expect a great manager to at least motivate them. We ran 15km less than Brentford today!

The United

Why has he come in and decided he knows better after saying that? The line up today was so naive.
He said all the right things. But what he does and the players he targets seem to be totally out of sense.

Another Dutch manager did the same here before too.

GiddyUp

But it's his job to make sure they play like they give a feck and to play the ones that actually do
The majority of them don't give a feck though. We have 6 or 7 first team players that just don't care regardless of who is in charge. This is a rude awakening for ETH.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
And it's HIS job as MANAGER to instill confidence and belief. He's had a few months now, they are worse than they were under Ralph.
He has not had a few months. You can be as confident as you like in pre season. Hes had TWO fecking games

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
He said all the right things. But what he does and the players he targets seem to be totally out of sense.

Another Dutch manager here did the same too.
Isn’t he bringing in Rabiot…

Judas

Open to offers
I don't know if his hands are tied if he's very naive, but a lot of this group of losers will get sacked. He needs to get rid of as many of them as possible, and quickly, or I fear this is going to go horribly wrong.