Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 542 53.2%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 476 46.8%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Ole90+3

He was playing in a pivot with McTominay. Second half played as a 10.
Why are you complaining about his starting then? He enabled us to control he game in the first half. The whole team were incredibly careless with the ball in the 2nd half, and I’m sure it would have been a hell of a lot worse without Eriksen

Zen86

I mean, we’re improving with every game and his plans are quite clearly starting to take shape. He’s doing the best job he can with the squad at hand.

SAFMUTD

Na we controlled those last 20 minutes and the first half tonight. Casemiro showed his class.
not sure we hung on v Liverpool neither?
Maybe I explained myself wrong, it's an expression in Spanish I don't know if it means the same in English haha.

What I meant is that from the 60' minute we concentrate ourselves more on not conceding rather than scoring. Yeah we have many counters but the subs we're totally defensive. We took out two attackers for 2 holding midfielders. Maybe we weren't in constant danger but sooner or later this kind of set up is going to backfire, this is not the type of football that gets you trophies.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Why are you complaining about his starting then? He enabled us to control he game in the first half. The whole team were incredibly careless with the ball in the 2nd half, and I’m sure it would have been a hell of a lot worse without Eriksen
I said, at least sub him off. After a while he becomes a liability as he is physically gassed.

He starts losing the duels and becomes more sloppy with the ball. No way he should be making 90 mins continuously. 60 at max.

Gazza

Oh feck off. If you can't see the difference in how we play compared to past managers you don't know what the feck you're watching. And it would have been 3/4-0 if our forwards weren't such shit in the final third. We aren't going to be playing like City with DDG, Elanga, Rashford, McT, etc.
Some posters are allowing the frustration and false dawns of previous campaigns to make them more pessimistic than they need to be. Equally, some people are too eager to see positives in a new start, so I can understand that poster wanting to provide balance, but he goes way too far the other way and it just smacks of immaturity. We are changing a playing style, incorporating new players and building up fitness, but it seems these factors are not taken into account when analyzing a performance like the second half tonight.

cyberman

Need to start doing much better for 90 mins. Why can’t we keep momentum up all the way through the game. We have a good halve, or take the lead and then we drop of and then we make it difficult for our selves By hanging on for our lives! City and Liverpool play great all games… we just play for halve a game. This has to change.
Honestly believe it’s getting last year out of our system. If we watched Liverpool play that exact same way tonight we wouldn’t be criticising their game at all. Professional etc etc.
Our defence has been so bad we have to establish that base. Casemiro is still to come in with Antony out side with Martial injured / Ronaldo missing pre season so you can see we aren’t playing how he want just yet. It’s obvious he doesn’t want Riashford down the middle or Sancho right so Elanga gets game time which isn’t ideal.
The second half was edgy for us but Leicester really didn’t do anything as we saw out the final 20 minutes really well

MinGin

:lol: :lol: was he trained something on the match?
First half - Attacking football
Second half - Defensive football

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Love the fact ten Hag as made us more compact and organised. Not seen us this organised for a while. If we can keep clean sheets then we’ve always got a chance of winning games,

Real Name

Improvement in our play od evident. We need to work on being good the whole game but it will come in time. Like the look of us in the 1st half, especially after we scored.

Defense looks absolutely fantastic at the moment.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Throwing insults doesn't make your point actually correct. Enlighten me with that difference you're talking about.
See my next post then. Many of our issues in possession in recent years have come from a general cluelessness in how to build through the first two progressive phases of the pitch. We were terrible for years building from the back and through midfield unless Pogba/Bruno pulled off a hollywood pass. Today you can clearly see a system in how players position themselves and know where they want to go with the ball next. It's miles different and the first step to becoming a dominant team. We also have changed how we position ourselves in the final third to keep possession of the ball, similar to City. The full transformation won't be seen this soon into a new regime because we still lack basic technical quality in 2 out of our 3 attackers to start today as well as our keeper. But any system that makes McTominay look comfortable in his decision making on the ball involves tons of good coaching, it's not freestyling like we did under previous managers.

AshRK

He is building on defensive organization, becoming hard to beat, and building a group of players who fight for each other.. The Martinez Dalot moment when the latter blocked the cross.. Thats what he's after...

And from there on get some confidence, get result.. Thats the basis to start building on the attractive playing style like we played with Ajax.. He did the same at Ajax..
Great managers do that. SAF did that as well, Klopp did that as well and so did Pep. These 1-0s are priceless and with more quality you make those 1-0 to 2 or 3-0.

Biggins

It’s like some people conveniently ignore the fact that this team came 6th last year…

We are already showing a lot of progress in parts of games.

However, we need to pick up points to build a momentum and I’m not surprised at all that ETH prefers to be cautious in second halves. It will take probably the whole season to transform this team and we will continue to see very defensive football at times.

Primary objective should be getting CL back to attract the best players so that ETH can implement his style of play. We have so many average players bought by previous managers that it is impossible to expect more at this stage.

3 wins in a row after a dreadful start is very encouraging.

Reactions: Cheimoon

Son

Expecting us to dominate games for 90 mins :lol:

What are some people on
Exactly. Does any team in the world bar Man City and PSG do that? Liverpool really don’t completely dominate like City do most games.

What I love about this United team it can defend just like the Rio and Vidic years. The other team has the ball you know it’s okay because as Mourinho did to Ajax once up a time you we manage a game out of possession.

It’s a fallacy the best team always has the most of the ball. I would argue it’s a pretty modern stereotype that was battered when Bayern destroyed Barcelona in 2013. Barcelona had all the ball and got absolutely murdered. Inter 2010 too and Real last season.

cyberman

Maybe I explained myself wrong, it's an expression in Spanish I don't know if it means the same in English haha.

What I meant is that from the 60' minute we concentrate ourselves more on not conceding rather than scoring. Yeah we have many counters but the subs we're totally defensive. We took out two attackers for 2 holding midfielders. Maybe we weren't in constant danger but sooner or later this kind of set up is going to backfire, this is not the type of football that gets you trophies.
Ah I see now.
I’d say those subs improved us offensively as well. We kept getting behind them because Casemiro allowed us to push up a bit.
it’s weird, it’s a good performance but there’s about 50 percent more to come from this squad which is really encouraging

InfiniteBoredom

If he wins the next 33 games 1-0, I aint complaining.

In all honesty though, our starting forward line last few games has been average to shit. Antony should help a lot with that.

VivaRonaldo85

We’ve gone to Leicester, somewhere we notoriously struggle at in recent years, and for me, comfortably won the game. Yes it’s not an emphatic scoreline, but i felt we were in total control. Haven’t felt that way for many years.

Ole90+3

That’s not the issue. His touch became more sloppy as the game grew on, which appears to be down to fatigue.
Maybe I just didn’t notice it as much as others. I still would trust a tired Eriksen over Fred to close out a game any day. Honestly I was more baffled as to why Rashford was still on the pitch

el3mel

See my next post then. Many of our issues in possession in recent years have come from a general cluelessness in how to build through the first two progressive phases of the pitch. We were terrible for years building from the back and through midfield unless Pogba/Bruno pulled off a hollywood pass. Today you can clearly see a system in how players position themselves and know where they want to go with the ball next. It's miles different and the first step to becoming a dominant team. We also have changed how we position ourselves in the final third to keep possession of the ball, similar to City. The full transformation won't be seen this soon into a new regime because we still lack basic technical quality in 2 out of our 3 attackers to start today as well as our keeper. But any system that makes McTominay look comfortable in his decision making on the ball involves tons of good coaching, it's not freestyling like we did under previous managers.
We were struggling to get 5 passes in a row in that second half. I don't know what positions you're talking about all honestly. This team isn't just that comfortable with the ball, I don't even see them trying to be comfortable with it. We actually look more comfortable once we let go of the ball and play on the counter.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
We pretty much played only well for some few minutes after the goal.

Then comes second half and we decided to park the bus.

Patience this..patience that.. show me something to actually get behind and support. Deciding to play ugly football to grind results again like the previous managers isn't the right way to start your damn project as a manager. He should have been a little bit more brave and build his own style even if it didn't start well.
Horrible post.

Flexdegea

He also said this ain't what he signed up for. :lol:

We look solid and are winning games after weeks ago being possibly the worse United team in ever.

I can't relate or understand why anyone be moaning so much during the match and after this win. Was a solid away win.

Valencia Shin Crosses

We made those subs because of basic fatigue though. We didn't shut up shop and stop trying to play football all together. We put midfielders on to help us control the middle of the park against a team that was going to throw more numbers at us. If we were subbing on CB's a la Jose style then I would agree with you, but we had 5-6 counter opps' in the last 20 minutes of that game to score goals and just didn't have the quality, which is what having two more forwards (Martial returning and Antony) will help do. Bringing Ronaldo on and sitting Rashford on the left also help the ball stick a bit more when playing it up to the striker from the back, while Rashford can offer those diagonal runs that he's more effective at.

TheReligion

Abusive
Need to start doing much better for 90 mins. Why can’t we keep momentum up all the way through the game. We have a good halve, or take the lead and then we drop of and then we make it difficult for our selves By hanging on for our lives! City and Liverpool play great all games… we just play for halve a game. This has to change.
Probably because we are just adapting? Pretty obvious really!

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Honestly believe it’s getting last year out of our system. If we watched Liverpool play that exact same way tonight we wouldn’t be criticising their game at all. Professional etc etc.
Our defence has been so bad we have to establish that base. Casemiro is still to come in with Antony out side with Martial injured / Ronaldo missing pre season so you can see we aren’t playing how he want just yet. It’s obvious he doesn’t want Riashford down the middle or Sancho right so Elanga gets game time which isn’t ideal.
The second half was edgy for us but Leicester really didn’t do anything as we saw out the final 20 minutes really well
Agree, think there’s a lot more to come from us and we’re obviously not playing the way the manager wants yet but that will come with time and the more games this squad play together. We’re lucky Leicester are awful or we could of been punished. Probably the best first halve from us but we was awful second halve. Massive improvements ahead.

TheReligion

Abusive
We pretty much played only well for some few minutes after the goal.

Then comes second half and we decided to park the bus.

Patience this..patience that.. show me something to actually get behind and support. Deciding to play ugly football to grind results again like the previous managers isn't the right way to start your damn project as a manager. He should have been a little bit more brave and build his own style even if it didn't start well.
Go away

Valencia Shin Crosses

We were struggling to get 5 passes in a row in that second half. I don't know what positions you're talking about all honestly. This team isn't just that comfortable with the ball, I don't even see them trying to be comfortable with it. We actually look more comfortable once we let go of the ball and play on the counter.
Where's @GifLord when you need him

Pleas go back and rewatch the second half then because I'm not sitting here pumping sunshine. If you can't see the passages of play then I can't help you.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
First half was very good, also some very good moves in the game. We have to control the game better, especially the second half. But again one step at a time. After 2 poor games it was important to shake up a bit, we are solid defensively. Hopefully we improve with ball retention especially once we take the lead.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
We now know what's wrong with our Fan base. They're not happy with a win . They want a dominating 4-0 wins every match. Spoilt is probably the right word.

ETH has done a great job with the players he has. If you are not happy with 3 wins and 2 clean sheets then this is not the game for you. Leicester never threatened us except from set pieces and we were always in control. So feck off!

ManRed

Erik is doing a decent job so far with the tools in hand. We just dont have the attackers to pin the opposition back and hence we are more dependant on pace and counter attacking. None of our players can hold the ball (besides Martial).

Someone

Something
There's clear progress there. He's got the team working really hard, and we're much more organized now. Our defense is consistent and reliable, and you no longer sense this impending collapse coming. We're mentally much better.

Our attack is still not there yet, and I'm sure he knows that so let's see what he can do. I get now how important Antony is for the team. I feel he wants Rashford to rediscover his form and that's why he keeps playing him, but I'm not sure if Rashford will reward this confidence or not.

Honestly if he could get Antony and Martial/Ronaldo to do well, we'll have a good season.

el3mel

Where's @GifLord when you need him

Pleas go back and rewatch the second half then because I'm not sitting here pumping sunshine. If you can't see the passages of play then I can't help you.
Yeah no, I'm definitely not rewatching this half again for damn sure. :lol:

When I seem an improvement in our ball control and possession it'll be obvious without actually having to rewatch games or imagine players' positions on the pitch.