Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 300 40.9%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 433 59.1%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Seveneric

It's clear what he's trying to do after the opening two games, and that's fine.

However, barring any major injuries, if nothing much has changed by December, then the conversation might be different.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
It appears that some fans expect the manager to swoop in and immediately polish turd.

Real Name

However, barring any major injuries, if nothing much has changed by December, then the conversation might be different.
Things are already changing.

Real Name

Don’t really get the negativity about our style of play. We haven’t scored many but the quality of our goals is undeniable. If anything, what we really need is a few more low quality goals. Deflections, or a corner going in off someone’s arse. We’ve had to do a fair bit of defending (which can happen when you’re away from home) but when we’re on the ball we’ve played a lot of good football.

I guess some posters expect us to play like prime Barcelona right away.

youngrell

I like this guy. He’s learned quickly and is pushing the team forward at a manageable pace for the squad. I have no doubt we’ll continue to get better over the season and see the final product after another window or two where some essential changes are needed.

I’m just glad he’s able to both progress our play and get results on the way without being too stubborn.

Kostov

I think the biggest improvement visible in the last 3 games is the defense. That is mainly due to Varane being absolute rock, Martinez closely following him and doing great and also McT. And I think most credit goes to ETH.

GueRed

Very Mourinho esque performances the last three games.

Low block once we're ahead. Plenty of Grit and determination.:cool:
All about the result. Even the subs are pragmatic.

Interesting how we develop from here into high line, high pressing, attacking team.....

Olecurls99

Mourinhio esk last few games, perhaps understandable after the drubbing at Brentford.

Few signs of some good football getting played, progress if you like but yet to see his famed high press possession football.

Maybe he realised after 2 games that we don't have the GK to be able to do it hence why The GK distribution has been majority long for the last few games.

Win the second balls play the percentages don't push up to much and don't take too many risks at the back. A strategy that has worked just about and got our season started. Not sustainable though will come unstuck soon enough if we continue down that route.

Interesting to see if dubrakva comes in and makes a difference and allows us to be braver with the ball and defend higher up allowing to put a high press on. Or we stick with de gea and continue with the risk averese hit and hope strategy.
I think getting the 2 Anthonys in will see us develop our game further more than anything else

crossy1686

career ending
Really impressed with how he’s managing the team since we got hammered. Exactly the response you want and he seems like he’s always got an idea of how to fix things regardless. I haven’t seen him look clueless once yet.

I also think bringing Steve back was a master stroke.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I'm really impressed with him so far. He's shown flexibility and understanding that it can't all come at once. The movement of our players is already so much better.

My only concern is that some of the players (Bruno/Eriksen) look absolutely fecked at 90 mins. I know they're putting in maximum effort but I can see them feeling burnt out later in the season.

Luka Mora

I impressed with how quick he's drilled into the players how to be more technical and composed on the ball while at the same time being able to think quick with the ball at their feet to play a ball which maintaining the shape rather than look for a moment of individual glory.

We're playing triangles and right backs are exploiting the channels at the right times knowing full well each player looking to cover their teammates when out of position. So much different from the last few years where players were playing for themselves in their own world trying their best to be the man of the moment making silly head rush decisions that benefited no one but themselves. Or failing to track back after losing possession and complaining to the ref which is what a lot of players were doing last season.

Reactions: Invictus

Flexdegea

Can’t fans just get behind the players?! is it that much to ask

The fans who slamming the players are under the illusion ETH is Jesus and can turn water into wine.

Rashford since liverpool game has played well. No sure why he getting hammered because he not a centre forward. We barely have any at the moment, can't bring any in, and Ronaldo doesn't look fit at the moment.

romufc

I agree with the way ETH has responded, he realised that he needs to make sure we are solid at the back, build the foundations. Got the back 5 high fiving each other.

It will be interesting to see how we transform this into dominating games, possession and creating chances.

HookedOnAPhelan

I was really worried after our first two games, but he's done a remarkable job to turn things around. We're finally looking like a proper team again, with players fighting for and encouraging each other. We're even starting to play some beautiful football, some of our passing in the first half yesterday was some of the best stuff we've played in many, many years. The precision and tempo was excellent at times.

Still lots to work on obviously, but really excited about how we'll look when we get Casemiro, Antony and (hopefully) a fit and focused Martial integrated into the team.

SirAF

Ageist
Don’t really get the negativity about our style of play. We haven’t scored many but the quality of our goals is undeniable. If anything, what we really need is a few more low quality goals. Deflections, or a corner going in off someone’s arse. We’ve had to do a fair bit of defending (which can happen when you’re away from home) but when we’re on the ball we’ve played a lot of good football.

Totally agree, I was purring at the passage of play you posted there. People also need to realise that it's going to take some time, but the signs are definitely there.

Yakuza_devils

No need to wait until December. I have already seen lots of changes implemented by ETH. Maybe not his style of play yet. But it's obvious the workrate, discipline, team spirit and tactics are much better.

Every game the players show up to fight for the club. We have set the standard after Liverpool game. Every play needs to give their all on the pitch.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Absolutely love ETH. I was before he signed, and even more am now convinced he's the right man for the job.

I'm glad the owners have put their faith in him and let him start to shape the squad.

2 away wins in a row now that we didn't managed all of last year. Baby steps, but you can see the confidence and positive mentality starting to return.

BlueHaze

I'm really impressed with him so far. He's shown flexibility and understanding that it can't all come at once. The movement of our players is already so much better.

My only concern is that some of the players (Bruno/Eriksen) look absolutely fecked at 90 mins. I know they're putting in maximum effort but I can see them feeling burnt out later in the season.
Especially Christian. I think his condition naturally makes him more fatigued I mean the guy was literally dead. Football is all about running and it puts extreme pressure on the heart. Every game he looks drained after 50 mins. We need to use him wisely and not put to much pressure on the lad. We can rotate with Donny.

bringbackbebe

Even after losing the first two games, we've bettered our current start in only 3 of the 9 previous seasons. Actually shows how poor we've been post SAF. Ironically, we had a great start last year only to cracks to appear as the season progressed. Thankfully, at least this year we look like we have a plan.

Season​
After 5 Games​
After 6 Games​
13-14​
6​
6​
14-15​
5​
8​
15-16​
10​
13​
16-17​
9​
12​
17-18​
13​
16​
18-19​
9​
10​
19-20​
8​
8​
20-21​
7​
7​
21-22​
13​
13​
Median
22-23​
9​

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
We are witnessing the effect of a proper manager and coaching team. Thank heavens.

The guy clearly has a very clear methodology and is a very clear communicator. Those two ingredients usually make for success, not necessarily trophy shaped success, but 'loads better than we were' success. I loved the video of him greeting Antony yesterday. I noticed that when ETH strode into the room, Antony went all sheepish and had his head down, smiling. TO me, that was a very clear show of authority. We all know Antony is no shrinking violet but he immediately knew who was boss. Good to see. ETH clearly takes no prisoners but has a very calm and authoritative manner and openly believes in meritocracy when it comes to football.

Flexdegea

No, Liverpool were playing his style right away. They just weren't as effective, and thus didn't have the results (in terms of goals scored or conceding goals). He was never pragmatic from week 1 or week 8.

The difference is that, Ten Hag started off similarly, but the players were so awful in their mentality (nervous to start, no fight after conceding, and no effort) that he probably became a little more pragmatic in his instructions. It's quite clear to see that the way we were playing in preseason is different from now. And I'm not talking about how good we are in executing his instructions. It's clear that the instructions are not the same as in preseason. The easiest way to tell is how we press. We are not nearly putting in the same amount of effort as before (nor are we as coordinated), and that has benefitted us somewhat in that we're a bit more compact and do not leave as much space for the opposition to exploit.

But again, I completely understand why we're like this. I think Ten Hag wants the players to regain their confidence. It could also be because he doesn't trust key players to execute his usual instructions (De Gea for instance).

That is lies. Would advise to go back and watch it.

Might have been gung ho at times but shambolic game to game depending on the match. And this went on for over a year. You also said Pep was the same. Again this wasn't true.

Liverpool the season they won the champs league where a different animal again, where they started totally dominating the ball. Again 3 years into his rein, when he had all the players he wanted. I'm not sure why you rewriting it was always the same. Not true at all.

We are close to playing how Hag likes his Ajax to play, the transitions, but bar total control over most of the game as we just don't have the right players who can control the ball and hold it up. If you can't see it I can't help you.

TheGame

The fans who slamming the players are under the illusion ETH is Jesus and can turn water into wine.

Rashford since liverpool game has played well. No sure why he getting hammered because he not a centre forward. We barely have any at the moment, can't bring any in, and Ronaldo doesn't look fit at the moment.
You have to slag off Maguire and Rashford in every post even though Maguire isn’t playing because apparently you are a true fan if you do that.

Zen86

You have to slag off Maguire and Rashford in every post even though Maguire isn’t playing because apparently you are a true fan if you do that.
Don't forget slagging off those who don't follow suit as having "low standards"

dutchred

Sure if Dalot comes good this season I’d have no problem starting with him. Just that defensively he has always been abit shaky in the past. Would prefer someone better (ie Timber?).

We will still need a new RB anyway if AWB is sold.
Let's see how Laird does at QPR first. He has made a good start

Rake

We've actually made a faster progress than i thought we would. EtH is doing a good job so far. He made the correct conclusions from the first two games and made the necessary adjustments. Also, we already show clear progress in terms of style and individual performances.

Don't get me wrong, we still have quite a lot of work, but the signs are quite encouraging.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Love how he has decided on his back 4 and is basically saying I will change it when I chose, he will not bow to outside pressure.

RedIan

ETH is a breath of fresh air just what the club needed. Straight talking no nonsense guy who unlike previous managers quickly spotting issues and made big decisions. In particular Dropping Maguire who has been a liability for far to long. Breaking up the 4 year partnership of mcfred by getting in some quality midfielders in Erikson and Casimiro, the previous 2 managers failed to address this glaring weakness. He knows we are lacking in attacking options with Cavani and Greenwood gone. Rome wasnt built in a day but hes got Anthony a player he clearly wanted. I expect he will be looking hard for a new number 9 in January. If he can get us to finish 4th this year it will be a major achievement but City liverpool Arsenal Spurs all looking good (Chelsea?) so it wont be easy but if not the process of squad development will continue.

Last edited:

Tony247

ETH is adaptable and not stubborn to impose a playing style not suitable for the available players. I like grinding 1-0 results after initial battering. It gives the team confidence. His new players are performing well too. Players eventually will start trusting each other with new style of play and eventually everything will come together like symphony.

I like him.

eire-red

What I like is that what we're not playing the football ETH is known for. It shows his skills as a coach to adapt and he's setting the team up so that they can be hard to beat and play as a unit once more. It shows he has a pragmatic side, and I think once the foundations are set we'll see some gradual evolution to more dominance on the ball.

Under Ole, it felt like he thought he was duty bound to play a certain style after signing Ronaldo and Varane, and it actually felt like he was setting the team up to fail. Let's not mention Rangnick.

ETH has got us back to basics. You can see how, with another top CM and a quality and ruthless attack, we could have taken Leicester to the cleaners last night. I expect next summer we'll look for those two missing pieces.

Slow, manageable and realistic progress for a team that was complete bereft of confidence two weeks ago.

Xaviboy

Can see improvements all over pitch and we play some decent football at times.

One thing really annoys me watching game last night is when we are in possession of the ball especially when we are at the back, we play back to De Gea he just hoofs it up pitch and we give possession away straight away. Happend everytime we use De Gea.

Times he could of taken touch and played it out to full backs.

Reactions: Cheimoon

Judas

Open to offers
Can see improvements all over pitch and we play some decent football at times.

One thing really annoys me watching game last night is when we are in possession of the ball especially when we are at the back, we play back to De Gea he just hoofs it up pitch and we give possession away straight away. Happend everytime we use De Gea.

Times he could of taken touch and played it out to full backs.
He can’t do that hence why he’s being instructed to just clear it. He doesn’t have the tools or calmness to pass out from the back successfully.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Big improvements in terms of mentality as well as team effort.
i said it earlier, feels like he is the boss and the players know that. He is in charge of the dressing room and we have not had that since SAF

3vra

Seriously this is the first time in ages that we are able to make more then 3 passes and move forward, let alone do it from the first touch. You cannot compare us to the best teams jet, because it is still a long way to go. If you compare us to what we played in previous seasons it's day and night. The difference is enormous. If you add the fact that we are doing that without striker, right winger and defensive midfielder (at required level) it is even more impressive. Replace McT, Elanga and Rashford with Casemiro, Antony and Martial and we have ourselfs a pretty decent team.

The most important thing is the unity between players and the fighting spirit, they seem to really enjoy putting some effort on the pitch and working their balls off. When we lose a ball the first thing on their mind is to get it back instead of whining and finger pointing whose fault that was. Recently the only thing they enjoyed was getting their wages and some free time.

I finally start to see football players who speak to me from the pitch rather then social media, and I really enjoy that. Let's keep it up boys and make us proud !

Reactions: roonster09

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Well executed counter attacking football is a joy to watch at times. Problem is there was no plan b when teams sit back during ole counter attacking times. We should be able to mix and match as needed.
No joy for me really. I want control.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Seriously this is the first time in ages that we are able to make more then 3 passes and move forward, let alone do it from the first touch. You cannot compare us to the best teams jet, because it is still a long way to go. If you compare us to what we played in previous seasons it's day and night. The difference is enormous. If you add the fact that we are doing that without striker, right winger and defensive midfielder (at required level) it is even more impressive. Replace McT, Elanga and Rashford with Casemiro, Antony and Martial and we have ourselfs a pretty decent team.

The most important thing is the unity between players and the fighting spirit, they seem to really enjoy putting some effort on the pitch and working their balls off. When we lose a ball the first thing on their mind is to get it back instead of whining and finger pointing whose fault that was. Recently the only thing they enjoyed was getting their wages and some free time.

I finally start to see football players who speak to me from the pitch rather then social media, and I really enjoy that. Let's keep it up boys and make us proud !
Agree with all of this apart from replacing Rashford with Martial. While I don't doubt Martial will be a step up from Rashford, lets not be too precious that we can't still use Ronaldo. He showed when he came on last night how effective he can be. Still one of the best.

matt10000

Erik have finally learned not to start Ronaldo and Maguire. Last night was the most excited I’ve felt in years as a United fan. He is not perfect, but I have faith in him what he demands and I just hope he can bring some consistency to the squad. There’s nothing to dislike about Ten Hag. Even his hairstyle gets a thumbs up from me.
Finally? Jeez…..