g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Should ETH be kept on or fired by INEOS

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Ibi Dreams

I fear this will happen, especially if he has a good first season. I think the board may gift him more control on those aspects
Well, so far the signings that were clearly his idea are doing pretty well. He seems to know a good player when he sees one, or he sees that a player can play the way that he wants

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Its quite clear why he was desperate for FDJ. Eriksen is our most important signing this summer.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I fear this will happen, especially if he has a good first season. I think the board may gift him more control on those aspects
It's not impossible given our track record.

But like I keep saying - Erik ten Hag may be a genius *, but he will ultimately fail at United without the right structure around him.

If Arnold is another Woody - and Murtough is incompetent - we're fecked.

* A genius coach, that is. There's no reason to believe he's a genius DOF.

NLunited

But like I keep saying - Erik ten Hag may be a genius *, but he will ultimately fail at United without the right structure around him.

As long as he’s backed in the transfer market, it will be mostly up to him if he fails or not. I think we will start winning things.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

Nah. A top coach can still do well without a good structure around him. It might take longer, they might not reach the heights they could otherwise, but they'll still do objectively well with what they have. Whereas a shit manager in a good structure will still do poorly.

Suedesi

When did this become the Ole gunnar Solksjaer thread? He's no longer here, just discuss it elsewhere please - keep this thread on Erik ten Hag

Toblerone92

United is bigger than Bayern in terms of fan base, global reach and the EPL is far more competitive. Even Pep alluded to how much of a step the EPL is.

You only would manage Bayern to win domestic titles, you know you have a ~70-80% chance of winning the league there. ETH wants the challenge of the EPL and rebuilding United.
Taking United back to the top of the PL in such a competitive era would instantly immortalise him as a legend.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Nah. A top coach can still do well without a good structure around him. It might take longer, they might not reach the heights they could otherwise, but they'll still do objectively well with what they have. Whereas a shit manager in a good structure will still do poorly.
I'm not talking about him doing "objectively well" individually.

Frankly, who cares about that?

If Manchester United are going to get back to being a genuine top club consistently, we can't rely on an individual coach.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
As long as he’s backed in the transfer market, it will be mostly up to him if he fails or not.
What does "backed in the transfer market" mean? He wants players x, y and z - and he gets the money to buy 'em?

That is not how this club should operate.

Ten Hag should be consulted on transfers - but he should have no ultimate say in who we buy. We should have a transfer policy in place that goes beyond any current "manager".

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I'm not talking about him doing "objectively well" individually.

Frankly, who cares about that?

If Manchester United are going to get back to being a genuine top club consistently, we can't rely on an individual coach.
Well what are you talking about? What is considered a failure? A top coach can still get a club with our funds to challenge for the title in time. Alongside Pep and Klopp, ok sure you need the structure to reach the level that City and liverpool have been at. But that's a peak level of coaching, recruitment, squad ability etc. It's not "normal" and they won't be there for much longer. So yeah, Ten Hag even with our structure can still be truly successful where he's challenging for the title and then has some rebuild years and then challenges again. It's down to luck sometimes to actually win it, all you can do is ask to challenge for it seriously.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
Just glad we got him. He's everything we need in a manager. Level headed, driven, logical, fair but firm with his players, tactically excellent and seems able to bring the best out of players.

Give him the time and continue to give him players that suit his system and he'll win us some trophies. Hopefully at least one league title and one CL, plus a couple of other cups in the next 5 years and he'll be up there near the best managers we've had.

NLunited

What does "backed in the transfer market" mean? He wants players x, y and z - and he gets the money to buy 'em?

Ten Hag should be consulted on transfers - but he should have no ultimate say in who we buy. We should have a transfer policy in place that goes beyond any current "manager".
I think the club and manager both decide who the transfer targets are. With being backed, I mean funds are available to compete with our competition.

Valencia Shin Crosses

4 signings away IMO from a title challenge, and being competitive in Europe again.

Even if Ronaldo just wants to stay to pad his CL numbers next year (if he stays) he can get the CL matches, but I think it's very close at this point.

United could get some nice sales next summer from moving on some "squad players" for upgrades too, exciting times.

I personally haven't felt this way since SAF, I was dismissive of Moyes, Van Gaal, not Mourinho (I think the board fecked up), Solskjaer I was thinking no immediately and he had a surprising star. With ETH it was an immediate yes.

ETH is the man to get us back to the top 100%

Moyes I think would have done better if he got 2 years, because he had deals arranged with the likes of Kroos which would have avoided the shit we got under Van Gaal and would have thrown us to Mourinho with a better squad.

Looking forward to the next 3 years.
Nah I wouldn't cross those fingers for "squad" sales. It's been proven pretty consistently we aren't great at selling players

Valencia Shin Crosses

So if ETH thought a player was rubbish but the board wanted him, you'd rather have us buy him anyways?

Transfers are a delicate balance anyways these days, and with the structure of our club currently being a fecking shitstorm I don't have an issue with Ten Hag being the main driver of potential targets, especially early on when he knows the traits from potential players that he needs at each position. If we were Man City and operated shrewdly I'd be more open to lessening a managers say in transfers, but we aren't even close to that level of structure (we don't even have a DoF right now).

Hoof the ball

Milan hire Pioli, a baldfraud, and win the Scudetto for the first time in about a decade.
We hire ten Hag, also a baldfraud, and..................................

Mr PG

Erik has seriously saved our butts this summer. We needed 5-6 new starters minimum and I couldn’t see where the funds would come from… enter Erik and he got Eriksen on a free, Malacia £12m etc and lots of tactical and ball-work over the summer and the team is replenished. He saw the problem and addressed it.

Boondog

If he keeps this up everyone's going to start thinking bald people are smarter and work harder than their behaired counterparts.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
We will not see that for a few month. Thats not something you can learn over night, thats just hard work, repeating every single day. I guess by the end of the season we could see united dominating in possesion and playing great football.
We need to take into account that other teams along the way counter the new ETH approach too. Its not a linear path.

The United

We will not see that for a few month. Thats not something you can learn over night, thats just hard work, repeating every single day. I guess by the end of the season we could see united dominating in possesion and playing great football.
I am hoping that we can retain the ball much better and longer at times at the end of the season. But to play dominating possession in the whole game would not happen until we replace some key players in the team like Dave. And even Varane would not help that type of football.

Stinkypete

* Let him stick to actual coaching/squad management. Do not force him into some kind of "manager" role where he becomes heavily involved with player recruitment.
Whilst I agree to some extent, all of his targets have so far shown to be pretty decent, and certainly alter the way we play in the manager's vision.

If you are to believe the club, then building towards a high pressure attacking side is the vision in terms of the new "united way" and Ten Hag has that vision. All signings he has made have a part in that vision, so why not let him pick his round pegs if the scouting department agree?

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
If he keeps this up everyone's going to start thinking bald people are smarter and work harder than their behaired counterparts.
They don’t already?

God made a few perfect heads; the rest he covered with hair.
It’s not a bald spot; it’s a solar panel for a sex machine.
etc etc

Trex

We'll see teams sit deeper against us now, outside the top six any manager who watched the Arsenal and Liverpool would would know its suicide attempting to go toe to toe with us.
This is were we'll need the team to play like the first 15 minutes vs Arsenal and make it count.

FrankWhite

Not Frank White
We'll see teams sit deeper against us now, outside the top six any manager who watched the Arsenal and Liverpool would would know its suicide attempting to go toe to toe with us.
This is were we'll need the team to play like the first 15 minutes vs Arsenal and make it count.
Couldn't agree more. Our incredibly potent transitional game is how we earn the right to play our own possession football.
The game against Palace will be interesting as they are a team comfortable with surrendering possession and playing in transitions as well. This is why they've managed to give Liverpool and City problems, even this season.

Trex

Couldn't agree more. Our incredibly potent transitional game is how we earn the right to play our own possession football.
The game against Palace will be interesting as they are a team comfortable with surrendering possession and playing in transitions as well. This is why they've managed to give Liverpool and City problems, even this season.
It would be crucial that the back four and DM be up for it, they'll have to defend one on one in larger spaces in the hopefully few scenarios were the front five press gets beaten. Among the front five Bruno would have to show more patience in possession, I'm sure of Antony, Eriksen and Sancho capabilities in this scenario. I'm from the goals against Southampton, first goal vs Liverpool and first goal vs Arsenal I'm sure we can open teams up.
Having Martial back would take up another level though, Rashford is very efficient when there's space but Martial is Mr link up play.
The back five should have more time on the ball making De Gea deficiencies less of an issue, they won't bother pressing him because we'll just go long and play like against Arsenal and Liverpool then.
We'll need to maintain the same tempo and aggression off the ball, its crucial to our chances of success. We gat a manager we can trust now with a very dynamic way of playing football. Glory glory Manchester United.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
I have the feeling that we will do well against the teams who fancy their chances against us (like Pool and Arsenal did) but still struggle against those who sit back. Having said that, we get much better in the final third and with Antony, we have someone who can create some magic and with Eriksen, we have someone who can unlock tight defenses.

el3mel

So if Ten Hag comes 2nd will it be a miserable failure?

Was Alex Ferguson a slight failure?

Has there ever been a good manager?
Ole stayed for 3 years, won feck all, left the squad in a shit state in need for rebuild, the majority of his signings failed and the culture was toxic when he left. These glorious 2nd and 3rd spot were with a low points tally that showed the league was shit rather than us being good, and in both situations we were far away from a title challenge.

At any other club this would be considered a gigantic failure considering the amount of money spent but sure at Man United some will actually defend this shit record.

And regarding your question, yes, if by the end of his tenure Ten Hag left a shit squad in need of another rebuild, won nothing and didn't challenge for the title once, he will be considered a failure.

Olecurls99

Ole stayed for 3 years, won feck all, left the squad in a shit state in need for rebuild, the majority of his signings failed and the culture was toxic when he left. These glorious 2nd and 3rd spot were with a low points tally that showed the league was shit rather than us being good, and in both situations we were far away from a title challenge.

At any other club this would be considered a gigantic failure considering the amount of money spent but sure at Man United some will actually defend this shit record.

And regarding your question, yes, if by the end of his tenure Ten Hag left a shit squad in need of another rebuild, won nothing and didn't challenge for the title once, he will be considered a failure.
Fair enough.

Ole was a failure in the end. I just don't agree with your over the top abject failure stuff.

Ten Hag is working wonders with the squad at the moment. Long may it continue. I think we're good enough for 80+ with this squad

Grande

I have the feeling that we will do well against the teams who fancy their chances against us (like Pool and Arsenal did) but still struggle against those who sit back. Having said that, we get much better in the final third and with Antony, we have someone who can create some magic and with Eriksen, we have someone who can unlock tight defenses.
Tbh what I’m most surprised at so far, is that we’ve played sensible football and won deservedly against both Liverpool and Arsenal with Scott McTominay as the only ‘defensively sound’ starter among the front six! All the posts claiming ‘you can’t play Erikson and Bruno in the same midfield against top teams, you’ll get slaughtered’ were absolutely sensible, they were just wrong.

RedfromIreland

Tbh what I’m most surprised at so far, is that we’ve played sensible football and won deservedly against both Liverpool and Arsenal with Scott McTominay as the only ‘defensively sound’ starter among the front six! All the posts claiming ‘you can’t play Erikson and Bruno in the same midfield against top teams, you’ll get slaughtered’ were absolutely sensible, they were just wrong.
Absolutely correct.

romufc

I have thought this for a long time. In a good system, you can play 2 8's. City do it, Pool do it, Barca did it.

If the system is good, you can play them in the middle. The thing is we are doing it with McTominay who isnt the best DM either, with Casemiro, we should look even better.

Previously, these games we would go with McFred as a standard in big games.