Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

How many of you would be prepared to give ETH 1 more full season to prove himself?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Mad that he can't seem to see how porous a midfield two with Eriksen is.
The concerning part is that he's naive enough to use it against Pep. He worked under Pep for two years at Bayern, he should know better than anyone else what Pep is about. I thought Fergie starting Giggs in a midfield two against Barca was bad but this is on a whole another level.

He got it wrong today. If ever there was a match for Casemiro to start, it was today. Too lightweight in the selection, and his subs left me baffled. That said, there was nothing he could do to make us competitive against that lot, and the players were a disgrace in their lack of fight.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Anyone wanting ten hag to be sacked deserves the ban hammer falling on his bollocks.

Idiots.

PoTMS

I'll give him plenty of time as his predecessors did but what system is he actually playing? I don't see any difference between our current play and Oleball. Don't forget he's spent £200m on "his players" already.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Still new to the league, hence the naivety. But he does need to get a grip of games like this, he can't force his game on the likes of City with this team. He learnt from Brentford, I'm sure he will learn something from this game.

GMoore23

I still think he's the right man for the job but today is a real wake up call for him.

His Naivety cost us. You have to be more conservative away to City.
He'll learn a lot from this result.

el3mel

They only just bought a guy who has 3 hatrick's in a row. He didn't play in the games you refer to. He might have something to do with it to you know. You want Ten Haag to run onto the pitch and break his legs so we draw instead of losing by 3?
City had fecking Aguero, one of the best strikers in PL history, and they still didn't put even 5 past us while we were finishing 7th and 6th.

Just because they have better team doesn't mean losing 6 to them or conceding 4 goals against in one half. :lol:

This is the 2nd time this season we concede 4 goals in one half, in 7 games. The first one was against freaking Brentford who didn't have Haaland, you know. Maybe there's something wrong with our tactical set up.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Martial should have started instead of rashford and casimero or fred should have started instead of bruno.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Jury should obviously still be out on him, got the lineup wrong today sadly. I don’t think we should want him out yet, but I don’t really know why we should all be fully behind him yet, either. Let him prove that he’s good enough for us, rather than taking it as a given that he is.

Rojofiam

Anyone wanting ten hag to be sacked deserves the ban hammer falling on his bollocks.

Idiots.
I've just opened Twitter and Ronaldo fanboys are almost celebrating this loss and calling for ten Hag's head because he "disrespected" Ronaldo...I can't believe how stupid some people are, I'd rather not elaborate on this further cuz I'd be banned for life from this place.

RedOrange

Idiots.
Just update your ignore list. This is the best thread to do it in because of all the knee jerk reactions. You can also pick out the axe grinders who've been negative from the start.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I don't blame him for not changing a winning team but it was through riding our luck rather than it being good football.
That is what i blame him the most. He is rated as top manager. I rate him too as that. So he must make right calls not play someone because "he deserved it".

jameyzane

He needs to let this team start imposing themselves. Leaving city tapping the ball around and not pressing was absolutely wrong. We can't keep coming into these games with the mindset of underdogs. The players can feel it and it showed.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Jury should obviously still be out on him, got the lineup wrong today sadly. I don’t think we should want him out yet, but I don’t really know why we should all be fully behind him yet, either. Let him prove that he’s good enough for us, rather than taking it as a given that he is.
Surely we should be behind him fully?
Why does he have to prove himself in order for so called supporters to have to back him?

el3mel

What is it
One which doesn't accept mediocrity and act like losing 6 is fine because oh City have better team than us and our manager need ton of seasons before he can get basic things right.

Someone

Something
You all wanted him. He was labeled a genius by 90% in here. Even though he has only won with Ajax in a one team league. He has done a terrible job so far. He will get sacked before the seasons ends.

We should get Mancini in after the WC
He's done a really good job so far with the players available. He made mistakes today but to think he should be sacked is ridiculous. He's a good coach and we need to be patient. There're plenty of good signs.

AmanNits04

No one really wrote him off though ? Giving him excuses for him or pretending he has been anything bar average though is the ridiculous take.

Ten Hag is getting way too much pass from a lot of fans not because of his work on the pitch but because his name is Ten Hag.

Another manager with same performance and results at the start of his tenure wouldn't have as many people defending him.

The results and play style have been below average so far and he needs to improve. At least I'm waiting to see any signs of us actually building something, for God sake.
Have you read the thread? We have won 4 out of our 7 matches, 2 of those against Pool and Arsenal. I am not saying he is lighting the world up at the club right now, but let's atleast give him some time to get his team together. Let's atleast give him a season to see whether he can set this lot up or we could see his footballing pattern visible in the team. It is very difficult to imprint your footballing style in thr first 7-10 matches with the core of the players we have. Hell, even Pep struggled when he came to league, Klopp too.

Champ

Martial should have started instead of rashford and casimero or fred should have started instead of bruno.
Hindsights a wonderful thing.

Martial has been injured for months, he wasn't ready to start.

Casemiro could have made a difference, probably should have started instead of Eriksen,.

Ace of Spades

Hopefully this is a wake up call to get rid of a few of the players, especially the ones who are clearly lazy.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
He knows he messed up. It's a good lesson and we need to go in another direction with midfield setup.

He needs to learn from this. I'm not that bothered, we wouldn't have gotten anything from this game anyway.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Surely we should be behind him fully?
Why does he have to prove himself in order for so called supporters to have to back him?
Perhaps being behind him was the wrong wording. What I mean is he hasn’t proven that he’s good enough to take us where we need to be yet, and a lot of the criticisms have been valid. It’s sensible to give it some time and see how he gets on, before we either write him off, or champion him as the right man. I think both are as naive as each other.

The United

Every game will be a learning curve for him here for at least the first season. I am not going to say too much about this game.

The only thing I think he should have done was start Martial and shape the team a bit better instead of having two minds about whether to press from the front or/and sit deep, resulting in exposing us badly in the middle.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
He has only replaced half the starting XI, the other half still needs to go. Obviously still needs more time. All his signings have been very good.

AshRK

One which doesn't accept mediocrity and act like losing 6 is fine because oh City have better team than us and our manager need ton of seasons before he can get basic things right.
I don't see anyone saying conceding 6 goals is fine or has said ETH is the best coach, who need many seasons to get basic things. You just are making these points in your mind. In fact many have said eth should be blamed for his starting line up. What else should we say, "SACK HIM"

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
It's always bound to happen. Atleast eth tried to play his game. It's game always some one win but need to learn from mistakes and don't repeat the same mistakes again.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
City had fecking Aguero, one of the best strikers in PL history, and they still didn't put even 5 past us while we were finishing 7th and 6th.

Just because they have better team doesn't mean losing 6 to them or conceding 4 goals against in one half. :lol:

This is the 2nd time this season we concede 4 goals in one half, in 7 games. The first one was against freaking Brentford who didn't have Haaland, you know. Maybe there's something wrong with our tactical set up.
There is something wrong, I didn't think that was questioned by any fans. Last season we had several losses like that, I'm sure the tactical setup was part of that. Not sure why you expect it would be fixed by now.

HookedOnAPhelan

He got his tactical setup wrong, but tactics don't really matter that much if the basics aren't there. That first half was as shocking as anything we've produced over the last year. Absolutely unbelievable how poor that was. I hold both him and the players responsible. This cannot fecking happen again.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
That is what i blame him the most. He is rated as top manager. I rate him too as that. So he must make right calls not play someone because "he deserved it".
One of the concerns some of us had was he had 'no PL experience' which many shot down as being irrelevant (it definitely is). He'll soon learn.

We're going to see a lot more rotation now with games coming every 3 days so we'll see how he handles it.

Everton away next week after a long trip on Thursday is a worry.

AFC NimbleThumb

I expect some amendments ala Brentford aftermath, he made some questionable decisions today but he’s shown he’s not too stubborn to learn from them quickly. Unfortunately Leeds & Palace didn’t happen to continue the run.

Nep77

It was so clear even on those 4 wins that Eriksen and Mctominay played well individually but as a midfield duo it was not working with us losing control on most of the games. It was naive decision to go with same midfield and play Bruno almost as 2nd striker. Its time to go back to midfield 3 and integrate Casemiro into the base of it.

cyberman

I think we’ll see this even out now. I honestly just think he picks the side that’s playing well so I don’t actually believe the starting 11 is the best 11.
I can see why he might go to the Etihad and play the normal game. If he’s trying to in-still what’s needed then changing tactics doesn’t really help with repetition. It was clearly a mistake but we could go to Everton next Sunday, play the same way and win by 3 goals.
Heads didn’t drop in the second half and that’s a good sign for next week

el3mel

Have you read the thread? We have won 4 out of our 7 matches, 2 of those against Pool and Arsenal. I am not saying he is lighting the world up at the club right now, but let's atleast give him some time to get his team together. Let's atleast give him a season to see whether he can set this lot up or we could see his footballing pattern visible in the team. It is very difficult to imprint your footballing style in thr first 7-10 matches with the core of the players we have. Hell, even Pep struggled when he came to league, Klopp too.
9 matches is far more than enough time to actually start seeing what the manager is aiming for, which is the tactical plan he wants to implement and what's the actual target.

None of this is present at the moment. We play shit football, most of our wins came from mostly a defensive, counter attacking style as usual and when we're bad, we end up getting battered, badly.

I don't know why people are mixing criticizing him or saying he's getting a lot of things wrong with wanting him gone or writing him off. Blind support doesn't lead anywhere. He'll get his chance and he'll get this season and probably the next one as well regardless. Doesn't mean we shouldn't point the obvious : United have been as shit as they're used to be this season. Results and football played, nothing really has changed that much, and the worst thing for me ? I see zero signs of anything new implemented on the pitch or a system in work that I can look at and say "Yeah, results suck now but there're clearly new ideas being implemented on the pitch that with some time, work and new players, will get us somewhere". Nah, all I'm saying is the same old shit.

Champ

Perhaps being behind him was the wrong wording. What I mean is he hasn’t proven that he’s good enough to take us where we need to be yet, and a lot of the criticisms have been valid. It’s sensible to give it some time and see how he gets on, before we either write him off, or champion him as the right man. I think both are as naive as each other.
Yeah I get that,

Fans should be behind a new manager, let's not forget that he is only a few games into his tenure.
Wasn't pretty today, but there are signs that there has been improvement from last season debacle.

Dannn411

I don't care what people say but he has yet to show me anything that justifies his selection as manager ahead of Pochettino. I have not seen anything tactically that makes me think he's top tier at all and i've seen several instances of alarming tactical naivety already in just a handful of games.

All is not lost yet but he needs to actually start coaching.

Toshey

Supports
Levski Sofia
So beating Liverpool and Arsenal doesn’t prove he’s good enough, but losing to the best team in the world with the best striker in the world proves he’s not good enough?

The only reason Ole got a few results against City is dum luck.
They failed to score at least 5-6 100% chances each game.

Rojofiam

People on here saying "his tactics are shit" :lol:

Just don't comment next time and the fact that you don't understand football will not come to light next time

Idiots

el3mel

There is something wrong, I didn't think that was questioned by any fans. Last season we had several losses like that, I'm sure the tactical setup was part of that. Not sure why you expect it would be fixed by now.
Because it's his job as a manager to fix it, and 2 months in the season I'll expect us to at least not get battered.