Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 486 50.9%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 469 49.1%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

RonaldoVII

Similar to the Brighton/Brentford defeats, today is on Ten Hag as much as the players. He'll learn though, there's not much expectation for this season.

el3mel

I don't see anyone saying conceding 6 goals is fine or has said ETH is the best coach, who need many seasons to get basic things. You just are making these points in your mind. In fact many have said eth should be blamed for his starting line up. What else should we say, "SACK HIM"
You guys also make a lot of points in your mind like pretending people want him sacked, write him off or want him gone because we're criticizing him so it's ok, balances it out I guess.

Scorpy

Absolutely crapping it and loving it!
Not worried. Today was embarrassing and it hurts, but still have full confidence in Ten Hag.

DickDastardly

Maybe he's doing this on purpose.

Some of our players deserve a real fecking wake up call.

Like he's done it with Maguire and Shaw.
The next in line could be Bruno or Sancho.

Bit by bit..... what we need to realise is that this is his 8th game in charge in the league.

Get him time to know the players.

And you always find out more about yourself and others after a defeat.

Telsim

Marginal improvement over last season so far, to be honest. Hopefully, people continue to get dropped for underperforming, and eventually getting sold, though I suppose the squad isn't exactly overflowing with quality alternatives either. We will see.

DutchSerb

Supports
FC Groningen
This was a calculated loss for most, I had faith but that was unrealistic. This team is on another level. The loss is what it is, but what made me annoyed was the lack of fight and intensity. That 5th or 6th goal where the defense just looked at it and did nothing. That first goal where they looked like swiss cheese. Rashford, McT and Eriksen were shocking today as well. I'm not too worried as long as we keep getting consistent results in the games we need to win. That starts with the Everton game.

A field day for the ETH-Out people, I guess. Wasn't pretty. Us Dutchies are also very familiar with ETH and bad subs, but coaches make mistakes as well. Hopefully Casemiro starts next week.

Red Rash

Realistically barring an absolute terrible run of form we need to give him a season to implement his style of play and hopefully bring in some more players in the next few transfer windows.

It wasn't good today but he is still working with most of the deadwood from Ole's reign. Let him bring in his own team and then we will judge

saivet

Poor from him today but he'll just need to learn and adapt from this. Rocky times have already come and I'm sure more will happen this season but firmly behind him.

AshRK

You guys also make a lot of points in your mind like pretending people want him sacked, write him off or want him gone because we're criticizing him so it's ok, balances it out I guess.
But most are criticizing him, it's just you who are moaning by saying people are fine with conceding 6 goals. It seems you want people to show more anger for him after 7 league games. And it's not the first time you have done, you questioned him after fecking 2 games.

Either just be upfront and say that I don't rate him and I have my doubts if he is the right manager. But Don't come with bs points that he is getting a free pass. Read the press, even they have critiqued him, read here people are questioninghim.

If your point is ETH's football hasn't been that impressive then that's a fair point but if your point is he is not getting criticized that's a bs point.

Green Yellow Red

ETH need to get rid of all the English players to rebuild this squad (Axel Tuanzebe, Phil Jones, Wan Bisaka, Maguire, Shaw, Rashford, Sancho, Brandon Williams, Tom Heaton), does it make sense?

fergiewherearethou

Supports
Erik ten Hag
9 matches is far more than enough time to actually start seeing what the manager is aiming for, which is the tactical plan he wants to implement and what's the actual target.

None of this is present at the moment. We play shit football, most of our wins came from mostly a defensive, counter attacking style as usual and when we're bad, we end up getting battered, badly.

I don't know why people are mixing criticizing him or saying he's getting a lot of things wrong with wanting him gone or writing him off. Blind support doesn't lead anywhere. He'll get his chance and he'll get this season and probably the next one as well regardless. Doesn't mean we shouldn't point the obvious : United have been as shit as they're used to be this season. Results and football played, nothing really has changed that much, and the worst thing for me ? I see zero signs of anything new implemented on the pitch or a system in work that I can look at and say "Yeah, results suck now but there're clearly new ideas being implemented on the pitch that with some time, work and new players, will get us somewhere". Nah, all I'm saying is the same old shit.
I can't agree more.
What also I find infiuriating is the fact we play the same regardless of opposition. You can't play the same in all games and with the same players every game.
Also when we won, we never looked clearly better than than team we played against. When we lost, we lost on merit against Brighton, Brentford and City.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
A third of our nine PL games so far have been against teams who are better than us.

Considering the bad, pressure-inducing start we had as well, it hardly seems unreasonable that he hasn't been able to implement a single clear progressive tactical plan as of yet. Circumstances have forced us to be quite reactive and he's still working around glaring faults in the actual players at his disposal.

Our next four games are against Omonia, Everton, Omonia and Newcastle. Hopefully we see a bit more progress across those games (and players like Antony and Casemiro bedding in more) before we face Spurs and Chelsea.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Because it's his job as a manager to fix it, and 2 months in the season I'll expect us to at least not get battered.
It's a good expectation but not that realistic. I think everyone who hasn't been living under a rock kinda expected a Haaland hattrick. Varane injured, and with Shaw and Lindelof coming in, was another moment many knew we were gonna let in at least two more goals. It's called being realistic. United hasn't played a game in a while so while well rested, the groove of the team wasn't the same as before and combined with the lack of aggression by our players you do get trampled by City. It's like they had something to prove while we're still kinda trying to figure out how we can manoeuvre around the huge weaknesses in our team. The tactical setup is like.. at the bottom of my worries at the moment.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
Fred and Casemiro really need to start.

Shocking how Fred has been frozen out despite being one of our better performers last season.
Yep, there is a strange obsession to prove McTominay can play football by every manager managed by him, as a result our top3 player last season gets frozen out even after really good preseason.

The midfield should really be: Casemiro-Fred-Eriksen if that is not clear to see for Eirc, then I believe he's out of his depth and we wasted another 2years or so on a overrated manager who can't see simple things.

Also one would have thought that we could see our team do some pressing, like a proper modern football team, yet we are one of the worst teams in the league by this important metric after full preseason and some dozen games under belt. It is really worrying.

el3mel

But most are criticizing him, it's just you who are moaning by saying people are fine with conceding 6 goals. It seems you want people to show more anger for him after 7 league games. And it's not the first time you have done, you questioned him after fecking 2 games.

Either just be upfront that I don't rate him and I have my doubts. Don't come with bs points that he is getting a free pass. Read the press, even they have critiqued him. If your point is ETH's football hasn't been that impressive then that's a fair point but if your point is he is not getting criticized that's a bs point.
I have already said my point upfront and clear : Ten Hag is a getting a pass from a lot of fans here because his name is Ten Hag and not because of what he has done on the pitch for Man United. Your post is a proof of that more than anything. The opinions on him are based on him hype rather than actual results or football.

And again, you guys invent a lot of points our of your mind like saying people want him sacked after criticizing him after one or two games so it balances out. Don't ride the moral high ground or pretend you don't invent things no one said. I have never seen anyone say he should be sacked but you and others pretend we have already written him off because we think a lot of decisions have been awful or his tactical setup has been wrong in a lot of games so far. It's either a blind support or wanting him sacked for a lot of you.

I neither think he's a god nor do I think he's a failure. He'll get his chance and there's still time to improve. When an actual improvement happens on the pitch, when I see signs of an actual system being implemented or results based on good football and not riding our luck happens, I'll support him. At the moment he has been Ok at best as a Man United manager but a lot of people are pretending otherwise just because of the hype surrounding him and nothing else.

People few days were annoyed here because some said he has been only Ok. :lol: Even though that's the actual truth.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Well, to all of you who says ETH is such an amazing tactical manager. Tell me how could an amazing tactical manager, have a game plan with manmarking their midfielders? Their midfield just keeps moving and the central areas in Uniteds half are completly open for them. This is completly suicide tactics. It might work when youre the best team in the Eredivise and the tempo is lower, but against a better team in the PL were the tempo is higher. If there is one thing that is important to stand a chance against City it is to close down the central areas and move them wide. Of course it would be difficult to stop them anyway, but today City havent needed to be at their best. So all this nonsense about how well prepared ETH is, does it look like he knew what was coming today?

We could of course blame the players, but then again today the gameplan has been totally naiveand that is the responsibility of the manager.

BTW Eriksen marking Håland on defensive corner?
Varane was off the pitch injured

steffyr2

9 matches is far more than enough time to actually start seeing what the manager is aiming for, which is the tactical plan he wants to implement and what's the actual target.

None of this is present at the moment. We play shit football, most of our wins came from mostly a defensive, counter attacking style as usual and when we're bad, we end up getting battered, badly.

I don't know why people are mixing criticizing him or saying he's getting a lot of things wrong with wanting him gone or writing him off. Blind support doesn't lead anywhere. He'll get his chance and he'll get this season and probably the next one as well regardless. Doesn't mean we shouldn't point the obvious : United have been as shit as they're used to be this season. Results and football played, nothing really has changed that much, and the worst thing for me ? I see zero signs of anything new implemented on the pitch or a system in work that I can look at and say "Yeah, results suck now but there're clearly new ideas being implemented on the pitch that with some time, work and new players, will get us somewhere". Nah, all I'm saying is the same old shit.
Agree with all this.

el3mel

It's a good expectation but not that realistic. I think everyone who hasn't been living under a rock kinda expected a Haaland hattrick. Varane injured, and with Shaw and Lindelof coming in, was another moment many knew we were gonna let in at least two more goals. It's called being realistic. United hasn't played a game in a while so while well rested, the groove of the team wasn't the same as before and combined with the lack of aggression by our players you do get trampled by City. It's like they had something to prove while we're still kinda trying to figure out how we can manoeuvre around the huge weaknesses in our team. The tactical setup is like.. at the bottom of my worries at the moment.
A loss is expected, even by 3 or 4. Conceding 6 goals including 4 in one half means something is clearly wrong. It's not just because they're better than us. They have always been better than us but this didn't happen before. Even the 6-1 under Fergie, 3 of them came after the 90th minute.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
ETH will turn this around but you feckers need to give him time. He will learn from this. Us fans need to stop wanting every thing now now now and have patience. He’s had 1 summer to try and fix the squad. There is much to do.

@Red Dreams your hair covered in cornflakes yet?

AshRK

I have already said my point upfront and clear : Ten Hag is a getting a pass from a lot of fans here because his name is Ten Hag and not because of what he has done on the pitch for Man United. Your post is a proof of that more than anything. The opinions on him are based on him hype rather than actual results or football.

And again, you guys invent a lot of points our of your mind like saying people want him sacked after criticizing him after one or two games so it balances out. Don't ride the moral high ground or pretend you don't invent things no one said. I have never seen anyone say he should be sacked but you and others pretend we have already written him off because we think a lot of decisions have been awful or his tactical setup has been wrong in a lot of games so far. It's either a blind support or wanting him sacked for a lot of you.

I neither think he's a god nor do I think he's a failure. He'll get his chance and there's still time to improve. When an actual improvement happens on the pitch, when I see signs of an actual system being implemented or results based on good football and not riding our luck happens, I'll support him. At the moment he has been Ok at best as a Man United manager but a lot of people are pretending otherwise just because of the hype surrounding him and nothing else.

People few days were annoyed here because some said he has been only Ok. :lol: Even though that's the actual truth.
Like I said he is not getting a pass at all, you have just made that up.

I do agree that i expected better brand of football and if this continues I will be disappointed.

NZT-One

Agree with this post. Until now, there isn't much to see, on good days it looks like a typical performance under Ole. I'd be inclined to say, we are getting a bit more courageous on the ball, more willing to pass and more purposeful in transitions but those are only small things. I can't get my head around, that we are still trying to do this alibi-shit imitation of pressing. We aren't good at it - fine, maybe we will at some point but stop trying to do it against the team that is the best suited to it anyway. It is just dumb.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
He's been here for 4 months vs Pep for 6 years at City ffs.
I'd take 6-3 than the usual 3-0 or 2-0 where we created feck all.

Bobski

It was a stupid team selection that took us back to the Brentford game in putting out an 11 with seemingly little thought as to how to counter an opponents strengths. One of Bruno or Eriksen had to be dropped to allow either Casemiro or Fred in to give additional shielding for the back 4 and we couldn't have both Rashford and Sancho in the team with their low intensity. Martial should have started to allow an out ball.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
A loss is expected, even by 3 or 4. Conceding 6 goals including 4 in one half means something is clearly wrong. It's not just because they're better than us. They have always been better than us but this didn't happen before. Even the 6-1 under Fergie, 3 of them came after the 90th minute.
That is what I'm saying. You have City from last season, and on top of that you now have a guy who damn near averages two goals a game and scores a hattrick every other one. It makes sense, which is what you're arguing that it doesn't but I'm saying it clearly does.

Abraxas

Not sure what people are on about. People complain no matter what. If we play McT and Casemiro and get hammered because we can't do anything with the ball you'll get why have we taken out our form midfielder and source of passing ability?

Nothing wrong with the selection, it's going with what has generally worked. We're just not in their league, not even close. It wouldn't really have mattered because players 1 through 11 are mostly not in their class and they started too well for us.

Blood Mage

Tactically destroyed by Pep today unfortunately. Hopefully he can put this behind him and start building momentum again.

el3mel

Like I said he is not getting a pass at all, you have just made that up.

I do agree that i expected better brand of football and if this continues I will be disappointed.
Yeah no he's. Whenever we open our mouth to talk about him, people jump at our throat and tell us it's still early and we want him gone after 5 games because we are expecting way too much. Pretending that this conversation didn't happen ton of times so far is just lying to your self.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Very naive to think we are good enough yet to not park the bus at City. This is what happens when you don't close them down in your own half. They destroy you.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
Tactically destroyed by Pep today unfortunately. Hopefully he can put this behind him and start building momentum again.
It had feck all to do with tactics. The team didn’t believe they could win. If you don’t believe then you don’t fight. If you don’t fight and play with intensity against a team as good as that then you get hammered.

mu4c_20le

Not sure what people are on about. People complain no matter what. If we play McT and Casemiro and get hammered because we can't do anything with the ball you'll get why have we taken out our form midfielder and source of passing ability?

Nothing wrong with the selection, it's going with what has generally worked. We're just not in their league, not even close. It wouldn't really have mattered because players 1 through 11 are mostly not in their class and they started too well for us.
People just want a pat on the head.

sepulturite

You all wanted him. He was labeled a genius by 90% in here. Even though he has only won with Ajax in a one team league. He has done a terrible job so far. He will get sacked before the seasons ends.

We should get Mancini in after the WC
:houllier: :houllier:

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Very naive to think we are good enough yet to not park the bus at City. This is what happens when you don't close them down in your own half. They destroy you.
Im sure he told the players not to close them down

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Yeah no he's. Whenever we open our mouth to talk about him, people jump at our throat and tell us it's still early and we want him gone after 5 games because we are expecting way too much. Pretending that this conversation didn't happen ton of times so far is just lying to your self.
It is still early though, and hes missing a CF