Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 193 35.8%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 346 64.2%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
What has ETH done with regards to the process to deserve backing?. What we are witnessing on the field is the exact shit served up over the past 5 years.
What's the point in spending another half a billion to make a squad in his vision when we cannot see any sign of his vision on the field now?. We did the same with Ole and Jose and see how it turned out?.
8 games . EIGHT!

some of you need to wise up

Flexdegea

Some of the comments half way thru the match :lol:

Actually enjoyed that match. Subs where totally spot on.

Honestly could have been a cricket score in our favour

DSG

SAF was actually a massive attacking idealist for the vast majority of his time here. He didn't embrace pragmatism till his final years where he just became generally conservative from the pitch to the transfer market. The notion that SAF was a pragmatic manager is genuinely saddening when it comes from United fans because it means they genuinely don't remember a lot of his best years.
Not sure you understand the definition of pragmatic. I think there is a negative connotation in British football that somehow has morphed into low block, ultra defensive set up. That’s not what it means. https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/pragmatic

Pragmatic = doing what is necessary to win; dealing with things realistically and sensibly instead of theoretically.

How is that not attacking football when it’s the best way to win? In my mind, he had the best sense of when to go all out attacking and when to professionally kill the game. Very different from Pep who only has one mindset.

In Europe, SAF almost always played a 4-5-1 against tough competition away, almost always 4-4-2 at home.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
What has ETH done with regards to the process to deserve backing?. What we are witnessing on the field is the exact shit served up over the past 5 years.
What's the point in spending another half a billion to make a squad in his vision when we cannot see any sign of his vision on the field now?. We did the same with Ole and Jose and see how it turned out?.
Wtf were you expecting after 2 months ? Stick to fifa because that's where changes happen with an X button.

DSG

I agree with you regarding Guardiola and feel he's found himself in such privileged positions at Barcelona, Bayern and now with Abu Dhabi backing that he on most occasions doesn't need to stray too far from his ideals after being promoted from Barca B. He's still a great coach and it was his ideals and ability to execute a proactive attacking approach which was rewarded after his stint with Barcelona reserves.

But ten Hag on the other hand has shown he can adapt and manage games by adapting to the opponent. The Champions league run in 2019, is a clear example of him adapting to the opponent in big games and even ceding territory on occasions against the bigger teams like Real Madrid and controlling the defensive transition instead.

But his Ajax team could also transition into a more imposing team by taking the initiative and attempting to dominate the game in possession which is a trait all the successful clubs have, including Real Madrid.
I agree these are good signs from Ten Hag.

His changes at half time today showed character and our comeback, although rocky, was encouraging.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Today showed it, Ronaldo, Lindelof and few others will sack him, even against clubs like Omonia who are just capable of caring on the pitch.

Get rid of them, Erik and never look back.

Vapor trail

Made good changes today. The only thing which will undo this team in the long run is the tempo in the passing. The ball is moved around too slowly. It's quicker passing which breaks the line more than anything nowadays especially where teams are happy to sit and defend. It's something that Arsenal are doing extensively to create chances and also what Liverpool did when they hit their peak in performances a few years ago.

Greck

Not sure you understand the definition of pragmatic. I think there is a negative connotation in British football that somehow has morphed into low block, ultra defensive set up. That’s not what it means. https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/pragmatic

Pragmatic = doing what is necessary to win; dealing with things realistically and sensibly instead of theoretically.

How is that not attacking football when it’s the best way to win? In my mind, he had the best sense of when to go all out attacking and when to professionally kill the game. Very different from Pep who only has one mindset.

In Europe, SAF almost always played a 4-5-1 against tough competition away, almost always 4-4-2 at home.
Understand perfectly and it changes nothing. Anyone born before the late 00-10s knew the term before it became a football vocabulary buzzword. SAF was an attacking manager through and through till later. I don't hold the view but many at the time even believed early SAF was a bit too adventurous in the CL and it was why he saw less CL success than he deserved. SAF was more idealist than pragmatist and he justified it

edit just realised I'm in the ten hag thread. Yeah It's okay I wont be taking the issue any further. It's even a needless side argument categorising manager tendencies into overly basic descriptions.

Last edited:

Judas

Open to offers
With this sort of attitude we'll never back anyone.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
8 games . EIGHT!

some of you need to wise up
:lol: Van Gaal had his philosophy and we didn't approve, Jose was given a chance to rectify that mistake just based on history of winning, Ole actually proved himself beyond doubt when he turned most of the team around, until we signed Ronaldo and asked for more than Ole was capable of. Erik Ten Hag is similar gamble ala Van Gaal, except he is less proven but more modern. We need to at least take that risk, get rid of almost the whole team and start fresh for him to have a chance, or this pattern might just repeat itself. Losing faith or giving up on an idea 8 games in is pretty ridiculous but as much as it's funny to see people react that way, it's also very understandable.

The worst scenario though is that we pretend to "back him" by overspending on terrible players, and sack him when he can't get a tune out of them.

DSG

Understand perfectly and it changes nothing. Anyone born before the late 00-10s knew the term before it became a football vocabulary buzzword. SAF was an attacking manager through and through till later. I don't hold the view but many at the time even believed early SAF was a bit too adventurous in the CL and it was why he saw less CL success than he deserved. SAF was more idealist than pragmatist and he justified it
By replying that way kinda proves my point :lol:

It is possible to be pragmatic and be attacking as it offers the best chance for a win

DSG

Made good changes today. The only thing which will undo this team in the long run is the tempo in the passing. The ball is moved around too slowly. It's quicker passing which breaks the line more than anything nowadays especially where teams are happy to sit and defend. It's something that Arsenal are doing extensively to create chances and also what Liverpool did when they hit their peak in performances a few years ago.
This is a spot on post. Fred and McTominay are ponderous in ball movement. Casemiro and Eriksen tend to pass quickly. I think we are improving, but we need to up the tempo in the final 3rd. Nice assist by Rashford to Martial, and a good example of this.

Greck

By replying that way kinda proves my point :lol:

It is possible to be pragmatic and be attacking as it offers the best chance for a win
This is kinda pointless. The point was withstanding the fact they can both coexist. It's all good bud. I wont be taking it any further. I (and most posters I assume) would rather read about what happened tonight. All good.

DSG

This is kinda pointless. The point was withstanding the fact they can both coexist. It's all good bud. I wont be taking it any further. I (and most posters I assume) would rather read about what happened tonight. All good.
No worries. Let’s enjoy the win and get ready for the weekend fixture :)

Toshey

Supports
Levski Sofia
This thread is great to fill up the ignore list.

People who are going full claws out against ETH are pathetic and honestly deserve a huge slap in the face.

Can’t bother to read more nonsense. This thread has some atrocious posts.

Greck

Remember that's the same Ronaldo club legends skewered him for not starting. It wasn't even like he hadn't already seen what state he was in. We started him our last 2 games ffs.

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
Today showed it, Ronaldo, Lindelof and few others will sack him, even against clubs like Omonia who are just capable of caring on the pitch.

Get rid of them, Erik and never look back.
Spot on.

bleedred

Yet another win papering over the cracks against a no name team and somehow its alright because it's just 8 games.

giggs-beckham

Clueless
:lol: Van Gaal had his philosophy and we didn't approve, Jose was given a chance to rectify that mistake just based on history of winning, Ole actually proved himself beyond doubt when he turned most of the team around, until we signed Ronaldo and asked for more than Ole was capable of. Erik Ten Hag is similar gamble ala Van Gaal, except he is less proven but more modern. We need to at least take that risk, get rid of almost the whole team and start fresh for him to have a chance, or this pattern might just repeat itself. Losing faith or giving up on an idea 8 games in is pretty ridiculous but as much as it's funny to see people react that way, it's also very understandable.

The worst scenario though is that we pretend to "back him" by overspending on terrible players, and sack him when he can't get a tune out of them.
We should back a long term football strategy and hope the current one manages to implement it.

bleedred

Do you expect change at the flip of a switch, because it sure seems like it.
When can we expect changes?

If fans see difference between this season and our past seasons, good for them. Genuinely, I don't.

I have been optimistic about every managerial change in the past only to see how much of a false dawn it was.
So it's not unreasonable in being cautious in judging a manager. Can you tell me why is it going to be different this time?

bleedred

Doesn't seem like that person is much of a United fan, considering they are upset that we signed new players and wants us to lose matches.
Yeah, the age old I am not that much of a tOpRed as you. Sorry to disappoint you.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
It's going to take a long time before we see the fluidity and a respectable tempo in our possession game. I wonder if this team is closer to Pep's Bayern or ETH's reserves when it comes to those on the floor passing drills. I suspect the latter.