Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 666 44.9%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 816 55.1%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

hobbers

Ten Hag surely is the best option then?

One year left on his deal so easy to sack if next season doesn’t start well with a fit squad.
Of course not, because he’s already proven he isn’t up to it. And we’d be forced to sign more mercenaries and has beens.

Tuchel and Ineos could be a dream partnership for all we know. And would attract better players.

I’d rather continually twist than stand still achieving nothing.

That’s the whole point of having a director of football planning the squad development

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Really doubt he’d hack it in terms of scrutiny, pressure and overall personality.

He would fall out with too many people and be gone in a year and half.
So what? This is also about 4/5 months longer than the average life of a manager nowadays.

And saying he lacks personality when he's made a CL semi with a Bayern side which is by no means incredible and has other disciplinary issues is just plain wrong.

Malone_Post

Just seen his comments on MOTD :lol:

He’s absolutely fecking deluded. Or he’s lost the plot. Possibly both.

Cannot wait to see the back of him.

SAF is the GOAT

Sam C is from the The united stand, and by now I am pretty sure that they are the mouthpiece of ETH agency(SEG)
And I"ll take what he's saying with a pinch of salt and even with these 2 reports he contradicts himself, but he had a few reliable reports in the past.

Malone_Post

2004/05 United team
PL: 3rd
GD: +32

Current United team
PL: 6th
GD: +1

feck off Erik. He’s gone full Mourinho.

Edit: Just seen his comments on Mctommany :lol:
He really is having a complete breakdown. Please put him out of his misery. It’s just getting sad now.

Zumbi

In all seriousness, why do you think INEOs haven’t sacked him ?

I feel it could be a mish mash of a few things

1.They are more focused on summer then this season and replacing him is not a priority (ie - this seasons been written off since SJR took over)
2. Money - cost of sacking ?
3. No decent interim/alternative
4. They are still collaborating data and actually seeing this sh*tshow plays out may provide good info
My guess is decision paralysis regarding who to go for. The manager market is thin with no obvious options and they must already be feeling the pressure that rushing a poor decision will bring a lot of questions over the competency of the Ineos team. That itself is a poor sign from them though. Literally any interim would be better than this mess right now IMO.

El Jefe

I feel like there’s nothing more to say about him. He's been soo bad this season and this goes all the way back to preseason where we didn’t look good at all.

It’s been such a poor season with consistent lows that i believe I’ve forgotten a lot of them because there have been so many.

In Rainbows

The McTominay comment :lol:

Even if the new structure gives him great players, his talent ID is awful.

Bondi77

So the consensus is that Erik will be sacked before the end of the season :lol: :lol:
Bring in a new manager and make our bad and lazy players do the opposite against Citeh in the final....genius!

In Rainbows

I didn’t say that. Re read the post.

Except that’s not what the xG suggests. It suggests you wouldn’t expect a PL striker to score it. It’s a low xG 1v1 chance.

Body position, hip position and Maguire on his shoulder combined with Onana closing down makes that a very tough one to finish. XG agrees too.
xG arguments in favor of Ten Hag

Not at all. I think he gets sacked end of season and as I’ve said for months now whatever INEOS decide to do I’ll back 100%.

We had enough chances to make it 2/3. We also didn’t get a penalty on Garnacho.

When you have teenagers and a young striker in the side you’re not going to always finish everything you should.

Antony alone had more xG than Burnley all game (minus the pen)
xG arguments in favor of Ten Hag

The Antony goal was a gift. When you subtract out the error by Berge, what’s Antony’s xG? See, I can do it too.

You’re falling back on xG… okay. But let’s play it out. If we looked at our xG differential for the season, we’d be in 15th place!!!
Of course you can. The big difference here though is being given a penalty is as close to 1 xG as you can get without pretty much being on the goal line unmarked.

People moan when we don’t win XG battles, people moan when we get wins but with poor performances and so now we have a draw with a performance that should have ended with a win but for a brain fart and the daggers are out again.

The only way this fan base will be happy is if we win every game playing dominant football and conceding no chances which we are miles off and no manager in the world would get us close to.

Aim to please. But it’s still true.
Deflects when xG is used against Ten Hag. People moan because the performances, backed up by xG, show that we are performing worse than what our crap results show. Important to note the results (his best metric) are crap too. This is not a matter of simply demanding we win, and dominate with performances. United are crap by results, and even worse by performance (xG) standards.

The reason why this matters is because performances show the progression of your side grasping your manager's tactics and show whether your manager's tactics are worth believing or persisting with.

Klopp and Mourinho had rebuilding United sides in 2017/18.

2017/18 PL table
2. United with 81 pts, 68 goals scored, 28 goals conceded, +40 GD
4. Liverpool with 75 pts, 84 goals scored, 38 goals conceded, +46 GD

The results say that United are in a better position during the rebuild or at least tied. Anyone that watched could tell you de Gea was saving us that season. Anyone watching the performances can see that Klopp was doing a much better job. If Liverpool just put in superior players, his tactics which were showing great promise could lead to a further improvement, thus leading to big title challenges. The foundation was already working.

What a surprise that United end up sacking Mourinho next season, while Klopp goes on to get Liverpool to win the PL, CL, etc... in the following years.

Now let's look at underlying metrics.

2. United with xG 55.7, xGA 40.7, xGD +15
4. Liverpool with xG 72.9, xGA 33.8, xGD +39.1

Expected Points
2. Liverpool 79.38

6. United 62.33

This shows that United fans were right when thinking the performances were crap and results were misleading for Mourinho. The same is happening under Ten Hag, only worse.

Last edited:

Amira

I expect him to be gone by the end of the season but no earlier. I think they’d let him see it out.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
400m and not one player you can point and say : good piece of business

He have several contenders for the worst signing ever in United history.

You cant expect a manager at this level to have absolutely no input on player's purchase and leave it all to the DOF. He even failed to properly asses his ex players. Baffling

FortunaUtd

In all seriousness, why do you think INEOs haven’t sacked him ?

I feel it could be a mish mash of a few things

1.They are more focused on summer then this season and replacing him is not a priority (ie - this seasons been written off since SJR took over)
2. Money - cost of sacking ?
3. No decent interim/alternative
4. They are still collaborating data and actually seeing this sh*tshow plays out may provide good info
The answer is glaringly simple, and I cannot wrap my head around why nobody seems to clock it.

He has not been sacked, and is likely not going to be sacked until the end of the season, because there is nobody who can sack him. We have no CEO, we have no DoF. Arnold has left, Murtough has left, and before they left they were lame ducks. The interim CEO is basically the Glazers' legal council guy and he is not in a position to make such a decision either.
Ten Hag was basically left alone to underperform a whole season because the board and executive level of our club has been in limbo since last year, first in anticipation of the ownership changes and now as a result of the ownership changes.
Posters go on how Ratcliffe/INEOS should sack him or why they haven't sacked him - Ratcliffe/INEOS are literally in no position to sack him yet. Their people have not assumed their positions yet, the CEO will start only in summer. That is the situation, it is not so hard to understand.

Hurrikeen

Newbie here. Will let you know who I support if I get past the initial moderator checks but I assure you I’m not here to stir shit.

I just don’t understand this guy. That Ajax team looked the bollocks under his leadership. You think back to how they performed in that 2019/20 CL - unbeaten in a group stage including Bayern and Benfica, twatting Madrid 4-1 at the Bernabeu, winning in Turin, winning at Spurs. They weren’t going to these places - as underdogs BTW - to make up the numbers, they were playing to win. And they did so in style. 9/10 Spurs don’t complete that comeback and Ajax are in a CL final and quite possibly beat Liverpool in it…

Now man for man, this United side is better. How many of those players start for United today - or City, Liverpool, Arsenal etc? 1 - De Jong (at a push 2 incl. De Ligt). The only other one who was decent that season looked like a raffle winner when he played for United (not Onana).

So how can a guy who created such a tactically astute and dangerous side, make United look like 11 lost school boys?

I think there’s an element of blame on both sides. From ETH’s POV, I can understand to a degree his stubbornness. He has a style that has proven works, albeit with lesser players, but probably players with more desire as they’re playing with the underdog tag. But it doesn’t mean you can just apply that style to anywhere. You need the right setup, the right players, the right belief. If you’re managing a team as big as United, you need to flex. Unless proven, that stubbornness will get you nowhere. The great managers of the past have shown their flexibility, their willingness to deviate from plan A to ensure they make the most of a situation. United do not have players to play the Ajax way at the moment and I’m sure ETH knows that. The odd thing is, why is he persisting with it when it’s clearly not working.

Is he trying to make a point to those above?

Is he an idiot?

The players - feck me, sorry, but you have a shit load of freeloaders. Players who have secured that mega contract, don’t have the respect for a manager, and don’t have the desire to put 100% week in week. Not all, may I add, such as Bruno, and even Maguire - they try. They care. They may not be the answer, but they give a shit.

IMO, there’s an arrogance and mentality issue which permeates your squad. There’s players who think they’re the bollocks, they have the mega contract, the fancy cars, the badge of playing for United, without actually giving a shit about what that means.

You have a mix of those types, and players who just can’t handle the expectation. I support a right shit team, plenty of divisions below, but we’re the biggest team in that division. Teams look forward to playing us and do absolutely everything to beat us, and the worst thing is, more often than not they do. We’ve got other club’s managers saying all they need to do is run more, pressure them and the fans will turn. Then the players can’t handle it, the pressure gets too much, and we turn to absolute shit, and ultimately pushovers. Now wouldn’t say you’re exactly the same, but unlike your teams of 15/20 years ago when opposing teams would turn up already beaten, they go to OT KNOWING they have a good chance of getting something. This is despite their players, man for man, not being a patch on Uniteds.

That’s an attitude/mentality problem. There is simply no excuse for not giving your all when putting your clubs shirt on and I’ll never understand those players who shirk that. Especially those who’ve grown up as fans such as Rashford.

Rashford isn’t shit, he’s just not that interested and you need to find out why.

Look at Mainoo now - that kid is the bollocks and the future of England with Bellingham and Foden. The last thing you need is him losing motivation like Rashford.

My two best mates are United fans so I do get to watch you a lot. You lot of course will know more than me, and quite possibly disagree with some/all of what I’m saying, but I say this as someone who, whilst absolutely hated you growing up, still respects you as a club.

I think INEOS will get it right in time, I think ETH will be gone end of the season, and I do think you have good times to look forward to. But you need a manager to instil some belief, attitude and bollocks into your team first off. I don’t think ETH can do that

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
Ten Hag will be here next season
I have the same dreaded feeling.

Either INEOS are running a really tight ship or they are planning to write off another season by having in charge next season. I am leaning towards the later as there are little to no murmurs on his position being in danger. He must be really convincing in his one on one's with the management. First, he convinced the earlier management to allow him to waste 400m on players he wanted and now he is able to convince INEOS to give him another year. This job may be too big for him, but he seems to be top conman.

Last edited:

Asger

I missed that. What did he say about McTominay?
“Ten Hag on fans booing the decision to take off Mainoo: "They are fans but I have to manage the team. You see what the game needs and bring some freshness and also tactical wise bring a player [McTominay] on who can keep the ball and is creative in an intense game." #mufc

Theonas

Scout
“Ten Hag on fans booing the decision to take off Mainoo: "They are fans but I have to manage the team. You see what the game needs and bring some freshness and also tactical wise bring a player [McTominay] on who can keep the ball and is creative in an intense game." #mufc
Thanks!

hobbers

Looks like his mouthpieces are getting the narrative out now.

'Tactical ineptitude only because of injuries', 'left high and dry by his bosses', 'scapegoated for others mistakes'.

PR approaching Rashford levels.

croadyman

Was a harder vote than just would you give him another year,having said that being realistic what interim options are out there

FootballAI

Ouch. It is getting unpleasant. There is no way back for him and it would be better for everyone involved if this stopped right now. :(
Yeah that was an interesting argument by zero Hag.

However, he missed out the key difference to that past versus now. Back then, people trusted SAF to rebuild the team after so many trophies and great seasons SAF had brought us previously. Plus SAF was very prudent with buying players, didn't spend a big fortune for the rebuild.

USREDEVIL

Another “dead man walking”

meanwhile the players are deciding which luxury car to buy next.

Im ok with replacing eth at this point but id rather focus on who needs binning.

justboy68

Sam C is from the The united stand, and by now I am pretty sure that they are the mouthpiece of ETH agency(SEG)
And I"ll take what he's saying with a pinch of salt and even with these 2 reports he contradicts himself, but he had a few reliable reports in the past.

Even if there's any truth to it Wilcox is likely just appeasing him before they can finally cut him loose. I reckon it's nailed on he will be shown the door and Tuchel will come in.