g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Should ETH be kept on or fired by INEOS

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Why do so many people think this? So you agree he's been a pretty bad coach but somehow keeping him will mean we get rid of underperformers and reset the culture. He's been here for two years, he's brought in a lot of players, why are there not even signs of this culture reset yet? Not only that but we're at our lowest point. Players will not get a clean slate under new manager. It didn't actually happen before and it is especially not going to happen now with new people in charge. The clearouts that people are dreaming of never happen in football because they are unrealistic and unfeasible. We're not going to sell half our squad and whoever is the head coach will not be deciding who's getting sold from now on anyway. There's zero sense in keeping a failing coach with the goal of resetting the culture when he himself has contributed to that same culture with his own signings and his own incompetence as well.
I can only laugh at this.

stevoc

But thats what we have been doing since SAF, right? ETH had a wonderful first season. We have seen that. What happened this season is something we have witnessed time and time again. Players do well and earn undeserving contracts and then they rest on their laurels. Every fecking time.

If this time, we back the manager and show some underperformers the door, there will be a sense of seriousness within the players. They are far too comfortable right now. They feel so entitled, take things to social media explaining how they are impacted but do feck all on the pitch.

This is the culture we have allowed to set. No matter which player comes in, they get exposed to this "we have made it" mentality. The club needs to be ruthless for once and sack some of the underperformers who have failed multiple managers (AwB, Maguire, Bruno, Rashford, Lindelof and throw in some ETH signings too).

That's how I'm looking at it. We bring new manager, these get a clean slate. We can't afford more clean slates. Get these fecks out and then deal with the manager. This lot can't win anything.
Seems like you are mostly talking about Rashford here.

You do realize that it's highly unlikely that Ten Hag if he stayed and it was his decision would want to sell Marcus yes?

He plays him virtually every game he's fit.

Marching On!

Why are people suggesting that if we get rid of Ten Hag it means the players will have a clean slate under the new manager?

The next squad is going to be put together by football people above the manager. Sure, the manager might have a say over player X, Y or Z, but all players presented will fit the criteria of a footballer that those above the manager want to see. Jim has already said players who aren’t performing for a couple of seasons will be moved on.

The fact that we know all but Mainoo, Garnacho and Hojlund will be available this summer for the right price tells you players aren’t safe anymore, regardless of who’s in charge.

ayushreddevil9

You do realize that it's highly unlikely that Ten Hag if he stayed and it was his decision would want to sell Marcus yes?

I don't know what's the deal with Rashford and honestly I'm beyond the point of caring about him.

There are others like Sancho who went onto social media, Maguire giving interviews about how good he is.

stevoc

Yeah he still sounds very bullish which suggests to me he is confident they won't sack him
I doubt he's that confident. Moyes was making similar noises towards the end, all failing managers do. They'd hardly say they think they're getting the boot.

All his comments about common sense reveal is that he likely doesn't know what Ineos are thinking.

stevoc

I don't know what's the deal with Rashford and honestly I'm beyond the point of caring about him.

There are others like Sancho who went onto social media, Maguire giving interviews about how good he is.

Sancho is likely gone either way.

When was this Maguire interview? And what did he say that was so bad?

ayushreddevil9

Someone rightly said earlier, its like a groundhog day in here. Ah well, back to lurking.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Sancho is likely gone either way.

When was this Maguire interview? And what did he say that was so bad?
I think he gave one where he said that he wanted to fight for his spot? Outside of it being at a time where everyone wanted him out, I don't think that he actually said anything wrong.

ayushreddevil9

Well yeah people keep saying similar things over and over then quite often bounce without expanding upon their points when asked.
I already explained earlier but that went above your head. You can't see what's wrong with the culture at club then it's futile to have an argument.

stevoc

I think he gave one where he said that he wanted to fight for his spot? Outside of it being at a time where everyone wanted him out, I don't think that he actually said anything wrong.
I can't think of anything myself, but Maguire like a few others is just held up as a bad apple because he's played under 3 managers now I reckon. Despite the fact he's one of Ten Hags favourites this season and has played well in difficult circumstances despite the teams struggles.

stevoc

I already explained earlier but that went above your head. You can't see what's wrong with the culture at club then it's futile to have an argument.
Sorry what? :lol: When?

The below is your only other post in reply to me mate. I replied to that with a question, you didn't answer. Fair enough that's up to you.

then it's futile to have an argument.
Who's looking an argument I thought we were having a civil discussion. And I see problems in the squad but 1, I don't necessarily believe we have a bad bunch beyond possibly one or two, and 2 I don't believe a squad gutting works to achieve what you are hoping it will do as the manager creates the culture, if it's bad then that's mostly on him especially when this squad is mostly his at this stage.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I'm on the fence about ETH but i will still try to answer your question.

I will not miss anything about our play. But i will miss the fact that we had a chance to get rid of serial underperformers and reset the culture when this bunch inevitably fails another manager.
I don't get why so many people say this.

Firstly, we tend to have a bigger squad turnover when a new manager comes in than we do when the manager stays. Secondly, ETH already got rid of a bunch of underperformers and about half the squad are his players...and he made us worse. Thirdly, the manager won't even be the main man in deciding the squad anymore.

The culture will not improve under a manager who is failing, especially when that manager is deliberately playing in a way which makes every player look worse than what they really are. He has literally spent this entire season setting the players up to fail. The fact that they haven't completely turned on him is actually quite impressive, but if we do keep him next season and he continues being as incompetent as he has been this season then it'll get incredibly toxic fast. And that's not on the players. Any workplace in the world turns bad if the guy in charge is incompetent.

Rista

I can only laugh at this.
What you refer to as "players getting a clean slate" is how any normal football club operates, even someone as badly run as us because it's common sense. And again, there is zero logic to this idea that keeping Ten Hag somehow prevents any of that happening.

Maguire getting mentioned as the bad apple and yet has been one of the better performers. Manager has the team playing shocking football for over a year = back him and sack the players.

Oldyella

Oh no. Not a player bigging up their ability in an interview.

lsd

The Oracle
I don't get why so many people say this.

Firstly, we tend to have a bigger squad turnover when a new manager comes in than we do when the manager stays. Secondly, ETH already got rid of a bunch of underperformers and about half the squad are his players...and he made us worse. Thirdly, the manager won't even be the main man in deciding the squad anymore.

The culture will not improve under a manager who is failing, especially when that manager is deliberately playing in a way which makes every player look worse than what they really are. He has literally spent this entire season setting the players up to fail. The fact that they haven't completely turned on him is actually quite impressive, but if we do keep him next season and he continues being as incompetent as he has been this season then it'll get incredibly toxic fast. And that's not on the players. Any workplace in the world turns bad if the guy in charge is incompetent.
It's a terrible argument used to support Ten Hag and it's just absolute nonsense.

The players that are letting us down are Ten Hag's players yet we get this rubbish about these players do this to every United manager.

The only way forward is with a manager who is competent, can handle this club and get the best out of these players as Ten Hag clearly can't

JPRouve

Scout
It's a terrible argument used to support Ten Hag and it's just absolute nonsense.

The players that are letting us down are Ten Hag's players yet we get this rubbish about these players do this to every United manager.

The only way forward is with a manager who is competent, can handle this club and get the best out of these players as Ten Hag clearly can't
I don't think any player is actually letting us down, maybe some players aren't good enough or aren't an ideal fit but no one, nothing is actually letting us down outside of tactics and presumably training methods.

spwd

I don't think any player is actually letting us down, maybe some players aren't good enough or aren't an ideal fit but no one, nothing is actually letting us down outside of tactics and presumably training methods.
Rashford is definitely letting us down. Other than that I think they're either a bit rubbish or/and are fed up with having to play under Erik and his tactics etc.

rajds89

Why do these kinds of quotes deserve to be sacked? What exactly do you want him to say? That Mount is shit, all the time injured and he'd happily swap him for Rice?
Just don’t say anything. It’s better than making yourself look a prat.

JPRouve

Scout
Rashford is definitely letting us down. Other than that I think they're either a bit rubbish or/and are fed up with having to play under Erik and his tactics etc.
So you think that it's on purpose? I think that Rashford and the efficiency of our attack relies heavily on Shaw and Martial, and Rashford is the one benefitting the most from it. I don't think that he is letting us down but that he is kind of limited and nothing has been done by the coaching staff to help the team create more opportunities or space for our attackers.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Is there any actual truth to that? Only this random Hassan guy is saying that on twitter.
We will probably never know but TUS tried to put out stuff saying Antony was injured/ill and Garnacho didn't train also.

There was pictures of Garnacho training and also this guy refuted that Antony was injured. Rumour was that he walked out when finding out he wasn't playing then wasn't in the squad.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
This TenHagBall guy always has team news leaks too and he seemingly said it was true after Goldbridge also tried to do PR for Antony

mu4c_20le

TenHagBall is for real (sometimes). TenHagEra is the clown cheerleader. I've blocked him and my TL has never been cleaner

Irwin99

Managers get a lot of stick for their supposed favourites but i think in reality EtH has been praying that Rashford could rediscover his form i guess.
Oliver Glasner, who really hasn’t done or won much, at least not as much as Ten Hag supposedly, has Crystal Palace playing with identity and confidence after 8 weeks. He has some decent players in that Palace side, but I’d say we have a much better squad. After well over 100 matches total and 49 matches this season, we have no identity, no attacking patterns of play, we can’t play out of a high press without either Onana or someone else making a mistake, we aren’t a good possession team, we give up far too many shots on goal. There are times we look completely lost, and we have a squad full of top internationals and CL and World Cup winners.

I would take Glasner in a heartbeat over Ten Hag. Seriously. You say there’s no one inspiring to take over from Ten Hag… well, that guy is absolutely killing squad and club morale. We can’t stop trying to be better.
I mean Ole, Jose and EtH had good/decent first seasons as manager and well, look where they are now. Good luck asking Glasner to manage this dressing room and the pressure that comes with United, i think he'd find it very different to Palace :lol: .

There are managers-including EtH, which he did last season- that obviously could get this team to a struggling top 4 finish but that's not the issue. The issue is turning a team of top 4 hopefuls- which is all we've ever been in the past 11 years- into actual, consistent title challengers or, heaven forbid, actual winners, moving away from pragmatic football and the limitations of the squad and actually developing a good team. That's the real challenge. It's one EtH has categorically failed at so far but he has tried to address the issue quicker than Ole and Jose, which I guess is commendable.

I personally am not seeing much hope with EtH and would have no complaints if he was sacked. But people have to stop with this bollocks of believing that this weird mishmash squad of "top international and CL and World Cup winners" is ever going to get where we want to be if we just find a great manager out there to lead us there. The squad needs a huge amount of work and better recruitment and just dumping it all on the manager fails to address that point.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
We will probably never know but TUS tried to put out stuff saying Antony was injured/ill and Garnacho didn't train also.

There was pictures of Garnacho training and also this guy refuted that Antony was injured. Rumour was that he walked out when finding out he wasn't playing then wasn't in the squad.

Still rumours.

stevoc

Managers get a lot of stick for their supposed favourites but i think in reality EtH has been praying that Rashford could rediscover his form i guess.
No doubt but I think the majority of United fans would have been behind him if he'd dropped Rashford as his performances have been well below any sort of acceptable standard.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Over the past 10 years, we really do love to stick in our heels and make sure bad managers can do as much damage as possible for as long as possible.

How many matches of absolutely horrendous football, how many injuries from terrible prep and impossible tactics, how big a nosedive in morale and confidence…and we consistently do nothing.

Just let it build and build and fester and fester and make sure we absolutely maximize the damage on all fronts before we make a change.

It’s unbearable and totally needless. Why is he still here?