Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 131 33.1%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 265 66.9%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

mav_9me

Ex team mate what did you expect them to say
This is what I'd say " He hasn't been great so far, lot of times off pace, whether it's due to age or lack of pre season I am not sure. Today at least he got into positions and had decent shots, and an assist even if it wasn't meant to be. Hopefully this is a sign of ongoing improvement in his form".

Not say he is the answer to our attack and then say ETH has not impressed, disingenuous is being kind.

pascell

He’s missing a trick with Fred. In tougher games, we need to tighten the midfield and make a decision on Eriksen and Bruno, especially if the idea is to press higher up the pitch. McTominay needs to go in the bin and Casemiro needs a full run of games.
No he isn't, Fred and Bruno cannot play in the same team as their pressing leaves too many wide spaces in behind as they press like headless chickens.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
He’s missing a trick with Fred. In tougher games, we need to tighten the midfield and make a decision on Eriksen and Bruno, especially if the idea is to press higher up the pitch. McTominay needs to go in the bin and Casemiro needs a full run of games.
Not only tougher games, this should be the base we use whenever possible.
Eriksen - McTominay two man midfield behind Bruno is not sustainable. I get why ETH wanted to play what worked, but this is the time we should start looking for a solution to our midfield that works against 80% of opponents we face.

This club has an obsession with putting players out of position. We always seem to be in interim state. Why don't we just make moves that make sense, put Casemiro, Fred, Eriksen in their preferred positions and see what happens? This is the time for experimenting. I am a bit disappointed ETH doesn't take that opportunity yet. Enough time to do it still though.

NLunited

After lacking Belief and aggression against City, we looked energetic and aggressive against the Cypriotes. This is what is needed in every game as a baseline. It is what Hag is talking about in every press conference.

I‘m optimistic Ronaldo will come into form, he looked pretty good yesterday, a lot sharper. Had to laugh at all the balls not going in though.

Casemiro will be in the team soon. He progresses the ball better than McT and was solid yesterday.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
After lacking Belief and aggression against City, we looked energetic and aggressive against the Cypriotes. This is what is needed in every game as a baseline. It is what Hag is talking about in every press conference.

I‘m optimistic Ronaldo will come into form, he looked pretty good yesterday, a lot sharper. Had to laugh at all the balls not going in though.

Casemiro will be in the team soon. He progresses the ball better than McT and was solid yesterday.
the dog kicks the cat, the cat bites the mouse.

jackal&hyde

Agree with most of that, except the Ronaldo part, he was rubbish at both finishing and sharpness in the box..took ages to compose himself instead of shooting and even the assist was a failed shot (Omonia).

I am 9/10 happy with ETH. The only negative came against City where I thought he should have gone much more defensive rather then try to control and fail.

bosskeano

ETH is not a miracle worker and you can't play decent flowing football with the CM's we have b/c they are shit on the ball....bloody hell give the man some time ffs

NLunited

ETH is not a miracle worker and you can't play decent flowing football with the CM's we have b/c they are shit on the ball....bloody hell give the man some time ffs
Eriksen is not shit on the ball for God‘s sake.

STYLOISRED

[/QUOTE
To add to your post regarding Guardiola, he took over from Pellegrini who had finished 4th before departing the club and Guardiola could only match Pellegrini's 4th place finish in his first season at the club after spending over £200m. And in his second season, the City owners backed him with £300m and he had spent £500m in his first two seasons at the club.

As long as City have owners who are prepared to spend big and absorb the hit on failed transfers, they will stay competitive with or without Guardiola. The amount of investment their owners have put into the club from the youth to the first team is unmatched by the Glazers. And I think it will get worse because the financial situation doesn't look great currently and ClearLake Capital and the Saudi Public Investment Fund at both Chelsea and Newcastle will also be a problem unless the Glazers sell to someone with the will and capital to financially boost the youth and the first team and hence make us more competitive.
I don't disagree. The Glazers are poor spenders because even when they spend funds, they do it the wrong way. This summer was the latest display of incompetence. If not for the loss and protests, we don't buy Casemiero and Antony.[/QUOTE]

Flexdegea

Yea we’d of been better off losing

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously you are spot on. What actually are these sort of posts your man is claiming.

"Papering over the cracks", ok let's lose on purpose and get tanked, that will be fantastic, I'm sure they be happy enough with that and not have a moan at all, as it exposes the cracks in the team plus squad that we are currently trying to build up so in the future their might be less cracks

Flexdegea

Other clubs manage it pretty well. Conte at Spurs changed them pretty bloody quickly.

Sorry but that is crap. Conte spurs where trash for first month or 2 of his spell. Literally chat he was going to walk. He got bounced out of the conference league too by defeats that been way more Embarrassing than anything we have had. He came good in the end and got them 4th after no one wanted it.

No need to overhype his impact. Haven't seen anything that screams he doing a better job than Jose even did at spurs.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Agree with most of that, except the Ronaldo part, he was rubbish at both finishing and sharpness in the box..took ages to compose himself instead of shooting and even the assist was a failed shot (Omonia).

I am 9/10 happy with ETH. The only negative came against City where I thought he should have gone much more defensive rather then try to control and fail.
He wanted to try and play his own style, he’ll probably be the first one to admit he got it wrong but he’ll learn from it. Against Liverpool he changed it a bit by pressing up at the top, he changed it again against arsenal by letting them have most of the ball and we just counter. He’s showing signs that he can adapt he just has to get it right against the right opposition.

captaincantona

He wanted to try and play his own style, he’ll probably be the first one to admit he got it wrong but he’ll learn from it. Against Liverpool he changed it a bit by pressing up at the top, he changed it again against arsenal by letting them have most of the ball and we just counter. He’s showing signs that he can adapt he just has to get it right against the right opposition.
He points towards how we beat Liverpool and Arsenal as a template for how he wants us to play. But we only played in patches in those games too. Both games were very balanced which on another day, could have been draws at least. We are yet to see a truly dominant display against anyone. We still look very much confused.

I think he is doing about as well as anyone could and I trust he will get there but I’m not a blind faith merchant. I see inconsistencies in what he says he wants us to do and what happens. I don’t understand his choices as I am sure many of you don’t:

-We look light in midfield when Bruno and Eriksen play and get cut through easily.
- we are running a 30+ year old Eriksen into the ground very early in the season suggesting he really doesn’t trust his bench or the youth
-His approach to the de Jong saga is concerning and was naieve
-his purchase of Casemiro - a completely different style of player- was bizarre considering the style of football he said he wants to play - I’m still trying to figure where/how he fits the ETH ideals
-Fred, when played consistently, can be hugely effective in a high energy pressing game - he is no where near the starting 11.
-McT is a positional liability with no ability on the ball and is a mainstay.

again, it’s early doors but the guy is not the messiah…he is still trying to figure things out. We seem confused. the first 20 minutes against Liverpool and counter attacking Arsenal are bright spots. The rest has been perplexing to watch.

Polar

And I feel like United currently is on a similar level in regard to results and how games go as in the better times under Ole. Which isn't good enough in the long run, but definitely an improvement on Ole's later matches,
Slightly improvement from last season, but Ole’s honeymoon and 20/21 was much better than what we’ve seen so far, example City, Brentford and Brighton.

I believe ETH will bring United back to the best level under Ole within this season and take us to the next level next season.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
It’s been a very underwhelming start. I hope he is given time, but the reality of the situation is that it is highly unlikely that he will be given a second season if he doesn’t cement CL qualification.

Garethw

This is nonsense.
Name one manager since SAF that has survived not qualifying for the CL.

It’s not nonsense at all if you look back over the last decade.

As I said in my original post, I hope he’s given time, but history dictates otherwise.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
It’s been a very underwhelming start. I hope he is given time, but the reality of the situation is that it is highly unlikely that he will be given a second season if he doesn’t cement CL qualification.
I don't think he would be sacked as we've never gone into a season as bigger outsiders for CL qualification, it wouldn't achieve anything. But then he's also spent £200m so there's an expectation which comes with that.

Agree that it's been underwhelming on the pitch so far.

Remember the geese

As I said in my original post, I hope he’s given time, but history dictates otherwise.
Every case is different. In such a competitive league, you don't expect Champions League qualification unless you are City. If ten Hag is competitive and has us there or thereabouts, emphasis on thereabouts, then he isn't going anywhere.

Garethw

Every case is different. In such a competitive league, you don't expect Champions League qualification unless you are City. If ten Hag is competitive and has us there or thereabouts, emphasis on thereabouts, then he isn't going anywhere.
Hope you are right mate.

wolvored

He points towards how we beat Liverpool and Arsenal as a template for how he wants us to play. But we only played in patches in those games too. Both games were very balanced which on another day, could have been draws at least. We are yet to see a truly dominant display against anyone. We still look very much confused.

I think he is doing about as well as anyone could and I trust he will get there but I’m not a blind faith merchant. I see inconsistencies in what he says he wants us to do and what happens. I don’t understand his choices as I am sure many of you don’t:

-We look light in midfield when Bruno and Eriksen play and get cut through easily.
- we are running a 30+ year old Eriksen into the ground very early in the season suggesting he really doesn’t trust his bench or the youth
-His approach to the de Jong saga is concerning and was naieve
-his purchase of Casemiro - a completely different style of player- was bizarre considering the style of football he said he wants to play - I’m still trying to figure where/how he fits the ETH ideals
-Fred, when played consistently, can be hugely effective in a high energy pressing game - he is no where near the starting 11.
-McT is a positional liability with no ability on the ball and is a mainstay.

again, it’s early doors but the guy is not the messiah…he is still trying to figure things out. We seem confused. the first 20 minutes against Liverpool and counter attacking Arsenal are bright spots. The rest has been perplexing to watch.
Casemiro wasnt his signing imo. It was a panic mode signing by Murtough as we had lost the first two games. Before he signed where was it ever mentioned TH wanted him? Fred and McTom either seperate or together should be nowhere near the first team. Both awful players at this level for us.

OpenIntrovert

Casemiro wasnt his signing imo. It was a panic mode signing by Murtough as we had lost the first two games. Before he signed where was it ever mentioned TH wanted him? Fred and McTom either seperate or together should be nowhere near the first team. Both awful players at this level for us.
Not a panic signing. He was on the list right after De Jong and when it became clear that FDJ was not going to come, they moved for Casemiro. It takes a while to do transfers and even longer when signing players from big clubs such as Casemiro, so the offer was on the table for quite long.

Potential transfers are not known to the media, they are not even supposed to know unless a agent or the player leaks something out. Otherwise the media just guesses most of the time.

Trex

I think Martial is as crucial a piece in stitching up our attack as Martinez is at playing out from the back especially since our 10 is very loose in possession.
Now he's back I'll like to see a lot more sustained possession.
Meaning we can press higher and maintain possession for longer.

Jericholyte2

Ole managed after the collapse after he gained the job permanently, selling the notion of building a ‘non-toxic’ squad that was willing to always work harder than the opposition.

If he can get away with it then ETH, who’s already shown signs of significant change to the way we play, will be given time if we don’t get Top 4 this year.

Greck

I hope not, that CL qualification nonsense has kept bad managers longer than was needed. Terminating a promising project prematurely because of the "Top 4 cup" should see the football department wound down so the club can complete it's transition into a bank.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Haven't seen anything that screams he doing a better job than Jose even did at spurs.
Surprised by this take.

Mourinho left Spurs with 1.64 point per game average in the PL after 58 matches. It equals 62 points in 38 games. Conte is currently on 2,03 points per game. It equal 77 points in 38 game. It is quite a difference. Also has to be said that Spurs, when Mourinho came in, were better than when Conte came in (Spurs were significantly better under Pochettino than Mourinho).

Swedish_Plumber

Big few weeks before the World Cup. Haven’t really seen a 90 minute performance yet. However that’s been the case since before he took over.

Would be nice to get a convincing win at a difficult place tomorrow.

Flexdegea

Surprised by this take.

Mourinho left Spurs with 1.64 point per game average in the PL after 58 matches. It equals 62 points in 38 games. Conte is currently on 2,03 points per game. It equal 77 points in 38 game. It is quite a difference. Also has to be said that Spurs, when Mourinho came in, were better than when Conte came in (Spurs were significantly better under Pochettino than Mourinho).
Context to the post.

Jose at this stage of season in his 2nd season, or maybe Further on in games, was actually touted as a title match playing Liverpool at anifield, think they where top of the league at the time. Then it went south. My point is Conte done barely nothing of note imo either.

Jose was shite for spurs, and I'm not fan of his. but got them a final too. I think Conte needs to match that at least. Top 4 doesn't exite me much, would need to see how spurs end up this season before talking like he done a serious job with them. He could go same route as Jose spurs. Heard plenty of spurs men saying the same thing, if it was Jose managing at the moment watching what they are they be boo'ing.

Your points per game is spot on to be fair.

croadyman

Not a panic signing. He was on the list right after De Jong and when it became clear that FDJ was not going to come, they moved for Casemiro. It takes a while to do transfers and even longer when signing players from big clubs such as Casemiro, so the offer was on the table for quite long.

Potential transfers are not known to the media, they are not even supposed to know unless a agent or the player leaks something out. Otherwise the media just guesses most of the time.
He could be a slow burner bit like Fabinho, really wish Erik would push hard for someone in recruitment who isn’t pushed on him by club

cyberman

Was said we wanted him long before we signed him.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
So EtH didn't want this signing? Or was he ok with the signing and agreed with the alternative proposed by recruitment team.

cyberman

I think ETH said that we just made inquiries after the DeJong saga to see if he was interested and were surprised that he was open to the move so we sped things up.
Athletic reported we were in contact with him since the start of the window

wolvored

So EtH didn't want this signing? Or was he ok with the signing and agreed with the alternative proposed by recruitment team.
TH wanted De Jong. Casemiro coming in if he was a TH signing wouldnt be on the bench as long as he has been. You only have to compare it to the other players that have come in.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
TH wanted De Jong. Casemiro coming in if he was a TH signing wouldnt be on the bench as long as he has been. You only have to compare it to the other players that have come in.
So club pushed Casemiro signing without EtH's approval? Or was it club recommended the signing and EtH was happy with alternate plan?

sugar_kane

Was randomly looking at his win percentage stats today and, while obviously fairly meaningless due to the low sample size, was surprised by a few things:

We haven’t drawn a single competitive game yet under him

Even though he has a 60% win percentage we’ve conceded one goal more than we’ve scored

He’s only managed us ten matches - feels like way more than that.

So ends the pointless Sunday morning trivia.