Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 256 38.2%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 414 61.8%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
TH wanted De Jong. Casemiro coming in if he was a TH signing wouldnt be on the bench as long as he has been. You only have to compare it to the other players that have come in.
That is something what people here push for years and it never stops. Pogba and Fred weren't Jose's signing, half of Solskjaer's signing weren't his and now Casemiro and ETH.
Casemiro was not maybe his no1 choice (no manager in the world will not get all no1 choices for every position) but ETH said yes. Same as failed Cardiff manager said yes for Donny and no7 Diva.
No club in the world will not spend dozen of millions on player who is not wanted by manager.

I wish that people stop repeating this bs. Eth said yes. And that is it. If he will not play 70 mil player on huge wage just because he was in position to "settle" with his signing then seriously; feck that kind of manager.

Xaviboy

I'd say Casemiro wasn't even on the list at start of summer for midfield options. We spent long time chasing De Jong and we tried to get in Rabiot as alternative. Both are midfielders who can carry the ball. Seems that the games Vs Brighton and Brentford changed ETH views and vision for midfield. Maybe thought we lack physicality in there and maybe was surprised how the 1st 2 games went so Scouting/recruitment heard of Casmeiro availability and jumped on it.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
No club in the world will not spend dozen of millions on player who is not wanted by manager.
History tells us this is not true and I’m not just speaking about United here.

I doubt it happened in this case though.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
I'd say Casemiro wasn't even on the list at start of summer for midfield options. We spent long time chasing De Jong and we tried to get in Rabiot as alternative. Both are midfielders who can carry the ball. Seems that the games Vs Brighton and Brentford changed ETH views and vision for midfield. Maybe thought we lack physicality in there and maybe was surprised how the 1st 2 games went so Scouting/recruitment heard of Casmeiro availability and jumped on it.
Id agree with this. The first 2 games definitely changed his views on what type of midfielder we needed. If you look at the top teams in the league though they all have a bit of physicality in there DMs. I think we’d of struggled with de Jong because of how this league is… you need physicality and even pep when he first joined the league realised that.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
So club pushed Casemiro signing without EtH's approval? Or was it club recommended the signing and EtH was happy with alternate plan?
Few years ago i laughed to Liverpool's way in dealing transfers (transfer committee which includes manager, DoF, CEO and whoever) but our way is in fact laughable.

Paying over the odds for every player who manager wants is bs. I agree that manager gets maybe one player without veto but buying him every single player who he wants by name is bollocks. Which our net spend and results are showing.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
History tells us this is not true and I’m not just speaking about United here.

I doubt it happened in this case though.
I am talking about PL. I know that in other leagues it is different story. In Bayern or Italy for example manager is only the coach.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Still think it's ridiculously early to judge him, or most of the signings. Under Fergie we were such a well-oiled machine, new signings - particularly young ones - would come in for a half or a random match, and then disappear for 6 months as they learned the league, the team and what he wanted. Now they get 1 half and people are saying they're useless.

ETH is implementing a new system. No one at this point knows if it will work, but the only way to find out is to give it a lot more time than anyone seems able to. Given how bad our last 10 years have been, I've no problem with that at all. As long as we show some progress, some development I fully expect him to be overseeing next summer's window and leading us into next season.

vanrooney

Still think it's ridiculously early to judge him, or most of the signings. Under Fergie we were such a well-oiled machine, new signings - particularly young ones - would come in for a half or a random match, and then disappear for 6 months as they learned the league, the team and what he wanted. Now they get 1 half and people are saying they're useless.

ETH is implementing a new system. No one at this point knows if it will work, but the only way to find out is to give it a lot more time than anyone seems able to. Given how bad our last 10 years have been, I've no problem with that at all. As long as we show some progress, some development I fully expect him to be overseeing next summer's window and leading us into next season.
this. just look at arsenal under arteta. the clean out and introduction of a new system needs time. and i feel eth has way more potential than arteta. the problem will be that city is now the well oiled machine like we were under saf - even if we get up again it will be hard to beat them

Dominos

Casemiro wasnt his signing imo. It was a panic mode signing by Murtough as we had lost the first two games. Before he signed where was it ever mentioned TH wanted him? Fred and McTom either seperate or together should be nowhere near the first team. Both awful players at this level for us.
So EtH didn't want this signing? Or was he ok with the signing and agreed with the alternative proposed by recruitment team.
Ultimately it's almost certain the manager has a veto on any major signings. There's almost no chance the club have forced a £70m on him against his will when he's asked the club not to sign him. The manager therefore has to take some responsibility for poor signings.

DJ_21

I like how all these rumours and stuff are coming out about us… there trying to unsettle us all the time and create problems. I’ve rarely seen anything bad said about the scousers after the awful season there having??

DJ_21

Bruno is the one who loves to wave his arm around and lay into his teammates all the time, and ignores his own shocking performances. He makes by far the most sense.
True… however none of the defenders was concentrated as they let in 6 goals.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular

I suppose there are downsides to this for squad cohesion, but that the idea here is to create an environment of intense competition and accountability - which makes sense to me. Squad cohesion will anyway generally be good when the team is winning and bad when it's losing, regardless of this sort of stuff.

wolvored

I nor you know whether the club bought Casemiro with or without TH picking him. Obviously no one is going to say no to a WC player. All I based my observation on was the players he stated he wanted went virtually straight into the team, yet a WC player couldnt get straight in. Read into ut what you want and today he has started.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I nor you know whether the club bought Casemiro with or without TH picking him. Obviously no one is going to say no to a WC player. All I based my observation on was the players he stated he wanted went virtually straight into the team, yet a WC player couldnt get straight in. Read into ut what you want and today he has started.
He came from different league. Even proven world class player needs to adapt. Especially if he is a midfielder. Pl tempo and La liga tempo are two different levels

MDFC Manager

The answer here is the simplest one, something ETH has already talked about - McTom was playing well enough in that position.

Flexdegea

I like how all these rumours and stuff are coming out about us… there trying to unsettle us all the time and create problems. I’ve rarely seen anything bad said about the scousers after the awful season there having??

100% haven't heard a peep from other clubs when they shocking.

Doesn't get the clicks or airwaves it seems

flameinthesun

Said it in the matchday thread but games like these are very important for the development of the team. Whilst we can do all the training on passing, possesion, pressing etc we will only get good at it by doing it in competitive matches like today. Away at everton with them pressing us and a few mistakes here and there, the team stuck to the game plan and won. A very big win I feel it will be.

I also think its important that EtH stuck with his way of playing and continues to stick with it through future bad patches. This team needs to get as much experience playing out under pressure, pressing, taking the ball in tight spaces etc in these type of matches. I'm seeing progress, slow and steady progress so well done EtH so far.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I still think he's a bit too naive with this midfield, Everton did a good job in the second half and we couldn't get the control back.

dogwithabone

I think he’s doing fine. He’s clearly improving players - Rashford, Martial, Dalot etc. He’s recruited well on the face of it and there’s a bit of an identity coming through. I think he‘s good with getting his starting eleven generally right and his use of substitutes. He‘s also got us back on track after a couple of thumpings, a sign that he can get a response.

He doesn’t seem the most characteristic and straight bats a lot of questions but we’ve had lunatic managers with their histrionics and I’m quite content having a serious manager going about his work a bit under the radar.

Irwin99

Pleased with him. To echo others, although we might still look best on the counter, our overall passing and movement has gone up a few levels and Antony, Eriksen and Martinez look to be very good signings so far.

Get three or four more signings with the same impact and I think we'll be a really good team.

HookedOnAPhelan

Doing brilliantly. More and more convinced he's our man. It will take time, and there will be setbacks (sometimes brutal ones like City), but we will get there with him.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
My only concern is that he played proactive dominant style because simply Ajax is head and shoulders ahead the rest of the league and now tih the quality and intensity in the premier league it might be very difficult to install that style. Solskjaer played also pretty proactively with Molde but again that's in the Norvegian league.

Fingers crossed for ETH to get his players as soon as possible and get us playing the way we all want.. getting results while not playing well is a good quality though.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Coaching team doing an incredible job with De Gea so far I must say, fecker was even sweeper-keeping today, I had to rub my eyes to make sure I wasn’t seeing things.
Have been saying that EtH is just a miracle worker. He resurrects Rashford, Martial, and even McTom. Now DDG just plays like a proper modern Gk.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
He's a class act.

He's got the players playing for their first team spot. We're worlds away from where we were under Ole where you could probably guess 9 or 10 spots out of the starting 11 week in week out.

You're not performing? Sit on the bench.
Make a mistake and don't track back? Sit on the bench.
Consistently not show effort? Sit on the bench.

Luke Shaw has gone from coasting in his career at our club, to having to actually fight and wait for his turn to earn the starting spot. And look at the results - he played with real maturity and effort today.

I think the biggest change we'll see is a culture change. He won't entertain lack of effort or reputation. The starting spot is earned week in week out. There was a Monday meeting after the 6-3 where he went round the dressing room and asked players to analyse their own mistakes, which led to shouting and arguments. It's real clever management by him. Get some fire in their belly so they perform on the pitch.

We're still a little soft in the middle of the pitch which is why we're conceding silly goals, but I think he's definitely got us on the right track.

Eddy_JukeZ

Some great passing today.

We can still do a better job of converting our periods of dominance into more shots/chances, but some of the passages of play today was the best we've seen so far imo.

We could do with smashing a team to get some more confidence.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Think it was the best performance, overall, since he took over. We were calamitous here and there, mainly through Dalot and Casemiro, the latter of whom also had some very good moments, but by and large it was a nicely balanced possession performance with crisp quick passing through the lines and players making good runs off the ball.

Wilt

Really liking Ten Hag and looking forward to seeing where we are in a couple of years.

Still very early days, just give him time to do his thing.