Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Should ETH be kept on or fired by INEOS

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
That's a fantastic start really. If you'd have given me that before the season started i'd have taken it all day long.

Obviously we've had some stumbles along the way but Brighton have proven to be a very good side, and the Brentford game was a learning curve.

I'm really happy with what I've seen from ETH so far. I knew it wouldn't be completely smooth sailing, and tbh some bumps in the road are probably for the best.

I think by next season we will be in a great place.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Apart from City no team is nailed on for anything. If we win our game in hand, we will be 6 points from the top after our worst start in PL history
Agreed… I’d still fancy us to finish above spurs if I’m honest, not sure about arsenal. Although we beat them, they could of easily beaten us on another day.

Matt007a

We’ve clearly improved since his arrival but consistency takes time. It’ll take a full season to fully adapt to his methods, especially given how far removed his style is from what we played last season.

He’s also using a lot of players who are not ideally suited. I know we spent a lot of money this summer but it still takes 3-4 good windows for the manager to claim the team is his own.

Im optimistic so far despite the bumps in the road, which were to be expected. With the surprising decline of Liverpool and Chelsea losing their way a bit, I think he’s got a real shot at 4th.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
That's a fantastic start really. If you'd have given me that before the season started i'd have taken it all day long.

Obviously we've had some stumbles along the way but Brighton have proven to be a very good side, and the Brentford game was a learning curve.

I'm really happy with what I've seen from ETH so far. I knew it wouldn't be completely smooth sailing, and tbh some bumps in the road are probably for the best.

Only if we had well prepared before the season started, we would have done better in the first 2 games.

I don't understand why we dont do our business early. Wenger's suggestion on shutting down the window before the start of the season was a good one.

OpenIntrovert

I like how all these rumours and stuff are coming out about us… there trying to unsettle us all the time and create problems. I’ve rarely seen anything bad said about the scousers after the awful season there having??
1) Manchester United have a much much bigger fanbase than Liverpool. Nobody really bothers reading about Liverpool despite their recent success.

2) We have the highest negative sentiment across all the fan bases. There are fans who want to read and believe such articles (there are a few examples directly below your posts).

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'

100%. We’ve improved massively since last season… we’re even showing a lot more character and fight with the comeback against Everton. I’m liking how the team are a lot better in possession and the movement up front seems to be good now. He’s slowly turning us into a possession based team. Only thing lacking at the minute is the killer instinct, we need to put games away earlier to avoid dropping points late on.

OpenIntrovert

Only if we had well prepared before the season started, we would have done better in the first 2 games.

I don't understand why we dont do our business early. Wenger's suggestion on shutting down the window before the start of the season was a good one.
Based on pre-season the preparation was there. Problem is that ETH would not be able to know the full possibilities of the squad until they played matches. The Brentford game proved this very well.

I would say that the current form we have would not have been achieved without the mistakes learnt from the first 2 games. ETH is a master of learning from mistakes.

tomaldinho1

If you looked at fixture list and then were offered 15 points out of 24 you’d probably have taken it given the shocking season we’ve just had given it included Arsenal, City, Pool and teams that regularly take points off us like Soton and Brighton. More important is the pick up since the Brighton/Brentford games though - WWWWLW in the PL with that one loss being against City away.

We’ll know a lot more after the next couple of games about where we’re at as I do think we’ve ridden our luck and not having a fit striker is going to cost us. Newcastle, Spurs, Chelsea could easily be three L’s in a row.

Tony247

Yesterday united played how united should, until the last 10 mins. More than skill it was down to mental toughness. I hope the mentality will improve to comfortably see out such close encounters.

HarryP

I think it's too early to say this. Mourinho won trophies and lead us to 2nd with a weaker squad than we have now arguably.
The league was weaker back then. No team was anywhere near as good as City are now. Liverpool and Arsenal are also much stronger. Those second rate trophies wins never came close to illustrating us as a top side.

The football was generally poor under Mourinho and he never really looked like he was ever going to progress us to become one of Europe's elites again.

It's early days but the signs now are good, and Ten Hag is the only manager since SAF that has proven he can mix it with the big boys in the CL over the last 10 years (his Ajax team was genuinely excellent and had a *modern* style)

Moyes - a midtable manager
Van Gaal - 90's manager
Mourinho - Left behind by the modern game
Solskjaer - Would struggle to get a job at a bottom 6 PL club now

Ten Hag - first manager we've had who has demonstrated a capability to build a modern and innovative team that can compete with Europe's elite whilst playing an attractive brand of football

RedfromIreland

Ten Hag is a step by step Manager.

He tested what we had to start the season with.

He identified holes in the system he wanted to implement and took the first steps to rightify the problems.

We’ve been crying out for a playmaker in midfield since Fergie left and Eriksen has come in.

The same for a DM, Casemiro has come in.

We haven’t had a right sided player for yonks and now Antony has come in.

A proper left sided central defender was what we have long needed, Martinez has filled that role.

Players that we and previous managers have known (but neglected), needing to be stood down have been left out.

Players who have previously not shown they could fit into his system are showing signs of adapting.

Small steps are something we should be congratulating him on.

We all know there’s loads of room for improvement, but he can’t be expected to be a miracle worker after a dozen games.

Progress will come. Have faith.

Reactions: Cheimoon

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Not that many. I suspect that they are either those who had nailed their colours to the Jose/Ole/Poch/Conte mast and want United to fail under anyone else, or those who are in thrall to biased British/ABU pundits. My United-supporting friends are all hard-bitten cynical old gits, and while nobody's getting carried away all are agreed that the improvements are there to be seen.
Not on this forum it seems

Revaulx

Not on this forum it seems
Bah. The postings in this thread are overwhelmingly positive.

The boo boys are out in numbers when they get their chance (like they did after City) but there really aren't that many of them. They tend to take full advantage of their window of opportunity by posting the same thing over and over again, often framed in faux-reasonable language along the lines of "I just can't see it".

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I think it's too early to say this. Mourinho won trophies and lead us to 2nd with a weaker squad than we have now arguably.
It wasn't weaker squad, also when he took over there was no super club in PL.

fergiewherearethou

Supports
Erik ten Hag
The league was weaker back then. No team was anywhere near as good as City are now. Liverpool and Arsenal are also much stronger. Those second rate trophies wins never came close to illustrating us as a top side.

The football was generally poor under Mourinho and he never really looked like he was ever going to progress us to become one of Europe's elites again.

It's early days but the signs now are good, and Ten Hag is the only manager since SAF that has proven he can mix it with the big boys in the CL over the last 10 years (his Ajax team was genuinely excellent and had a *modern* style)

Moyes - a midtable manager
Van Gaal - 90's manager
Mourinho - Left behind by the modern game
Solskjaer - Would struggle to get a job at a bottom 6 PL club now

Ten Hag - first manager we've had who has demonstrated a capability to build a modern and innovative team that can compete with Europe's elite whilst playing an attractive brand of football
It's difficult to comprehend why it took our board 9 years to identify a good, modern manager to appoint.

Real Name

Bah. The postings in this thread are overwhelmingly positive.

The boo boys are out in numbers when they get their chance (like they did after City) but there really aren't that many of them. They tend to take full advantage of their window of opportunity by posting the same thing over and over again, often framed in faux-reasonable language along the lines of "I just can't see it".
Haha, love those 'whats the change', 'whats new', 'I dont see any progress' posts. And the best of all - 'we're just playing Oleball.'

Smores

I love that. It's exactly what our soft fans said was outdated and was negative not so long ago but it's what competitive players need. Players will push each other on if you let them.

Wonder if the players have a 'is the training pitch safe' room where they can hide and cry about the negativity.

GueRed

If it's true ten Hag is encouraging players to confront and be frank with each other? that's great news!

Our wet wipe of a fanbase need to get round the fact it is not negative for players to have a go at each other.

I remember twitter nerds had a complete meltdown (some on here too) when Maguire and Rashford just swore at each other at Palace the other year :lol:
They also melted when the captain Maguire and vice-captain Bruno had a heated exchange "tunnel bust-up" that same season.

It's healthy. It doesnt happen enough! IMO.

I swear some fans have never played a game of football before and want a team of softies..

I personally love heated exchanges. It shows that they are competitive as feck and they care.

God knows what today's fans would've thought of those verbal clashes between Schmeichel, Bruce and Pallister etc... Basically Schmeichel and anyone within earshot

Chairman Steve

Ferguson liked his players to be feisty and defiant with eachother. I’m sure there’s been plenty of stories within training that never went out over the years that the media would spin as a major falling out between players. The ones that did get out are the tip of the iceberg. It breeds openness, honesty and healthy competitiveness.

Compared to Ole’s big happy family approach which works short term but is damaging long term.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Arsenal, City and Spurs are nailed on to finish in the top four.
Its between Chelsea, Liverpool and us.
I fancy our chances
Arsenal is looking nailed on as of now but can always drop off. Spurs? Nonsense. They aren't playing well, they have a system that doesn't breed consistency like a Pep system (United, Arsenal, Liverpool and even Chelsea now all have something like this where they are more likely to get consistency), and it's all very tight in the table.

Mr. Robot

For the first time in years, I’m extremely optimistic. Our matchgoing fans have patience and can see green shoots of improvement.

I just hope our huge online fanbase don’t start losing their heads next time we drop points (I include myself in that as I refuse to go the game whilst the Glazers own us.)

We’re going to be inconsistent this season. We might lose games we’re supposed to win. We might win games we’re supposed to lose. But Eric’s Tricky Reds actually look like they’re gelling and I can see patterns of play.

Also, ETH will kick out anyone who isn’t giving everything they’ve got. And we have needed this since Sir Alex.

Reactions: Cheimoon

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Arsenal is looking nailed on as of now but can always drop off. Spurs? Nonsense. They aren't playing well, they have a system that doesn't breed consistency like a Pep system (United, Arsenal, Liverpool and even Chelsea now all have something like this where they are more likely to get consistency), and it's all very tight in the table.
Arsenal are flying at the moment, as evident by the numerous posts my Arsenal supporting friends are making on their social media, but I'm not convinced they'll last. I guess we'll see after the traditional Christmas/Boxing Day period.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
It happened during the cheerful and peaceful Ole reign.

We just need quality in certain positions, that's all. We'll get there eventually.

December_16

Yesterday united played how united should, until the last 10 mins. More than skill it was down to mental toughness. I hope the mentality will improve to comfortably see out such close encounters.
Ifs and buts and all that, but had Rashford’s goal not been wrongfully (IMO) disallowed, we would have cruised for the rest of the game. Yes, we will have games where we’re put under the kosh in the dying minutes and have to tough it out, but it happened in the Everton game wasn’t truly our fault.

ilrm

Supports
Real Madrid
My only concern would be the impact of a month long break on United's momentum. Out of all the Top-4 contenders (City/Arsenal/Spurs/Pool/Chelsea/United), Chelsea and United have most to lose from a break. How many United players are going to the World Cup - I think it would be 14-15 main players? How many of them will play till at least the QFs?
On the other hand the break would definitely help the bottom-10 teams of the league since their players would have a good rest.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Arsenal are flying at the moment, as evident by the numerous posts my Arsenal supporting friends are making on their social media, but I'm not convinced they'll last. I guess we'll see after the traditional Christmas/Boxing Day period.
I don't think they'll last as serious title contenders with City but tbh they are playing too well to drop out of a top 4 spot. They will likely be like United in 20/21 with Ole where we were comfortable in 2nd but after new years didn't really look like we could challenge the title.

Valencia Shin Crosses

I don't think they'll last as serious title contenders with City but tbh they are playing too well to drop out of a top 4 spot. They will likely be like United in 20/21 with Ole where we were comfortable in 2nd but after new years didn't really look like we could challenge the title.
Yeah if Jesus stays fit they are too good going forward to drop out of top 4 given their start. Now, if he goes out for an extended period I think it becomes much more interesting.

NewUser777

Haha, love those 'whats the change', 'whats new', 'I dont see any progress' posts. And the best of all - 'we're just playing Oleball.'
We didn’t against Everton. They couldn’t string two passes together, and gifted us retention of the ball. That said, we were sloppy as well, but good in patches. The only visible progress for me is the distance between the players and how we better press as a unit. That being said, I don’t trust our players. Next match they may look like donkeys not half bothered. Not on the manager, and there is no reason to criticise him.

lex talionis

So far I'm giving ETH a 9 out of 10. Ole and Ralf gave him a steaming pile of shite and he's made something edible out of this squad. Yes, there was the shambolic performance v Brentford but I'm not going to hold against ETH as I am against him. What's important is how we responded to Brentford and thereafter. So far, so quite good.

NewUser777

So far I'm giving ETH a 9 out of 10. Ole and Ralf gave him a steaming pile of shite and he's made something edible out of this squad. Yes, there was the shambolic performance v Brentford but I'm not going to hold against ETH as I am against him. What's important is how we responded to Brentford and thereafter. So far, so quite good.
How did Ralf give him anything?

wolvored

RR was hung out to dry. No backing. Ole gave him the pile of shit

NewUser777

RR was hung out to dry. No backing. Ole gave him the pile of shit
We have players going back 10 years starting. How did Ole give him a pile of shit? Who did Ole sign we all didn’t want at the time? Man Utd have been the club where players sign to finish their career. Not sure blaming managers will help.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
I'd say a solid 8. 9 is too much considering the three losses and two 4-0 at halftime shorelines.

Possibly even a 7.5 which is actually pretty good considering the scale of the task he has inherited. As long as this team keeps improving and becoming more cohesive and decisive , his score will increase. The upcoming games against Newcastle, Spurs and Chelsea will give us a better picture of where we are in the process.