Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 297 40.8%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 431 59.2%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

always_hoping

United’s home knockout record vs Spanish clubs since 1-0 vs Barcelona in April 2008… 0 wins 2 draws 5 losses.

Hopefully Erik is manager to change that poor record for the better next Thursday.

Irwin99

It's incredible to think that with just one proper transfer window he's made us into a very good side (January window was more about adding emergency squad depth for injured/missing players). I was all set for another struggling season where he'd need time to set us right and rebuild but we're way ahead of schedule it seems.

It's so obvious the areas that need to be addressed next summer and it's going to be really exciting if/when we get the right players.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Get in a world class striker, another 50 million pound MF and a RB and we will be flying.

Really should have won tonight. Ref choked himself with not giving rashford that foul.

Djemba-Djemba

That game at Anfield last season it felt like we were done as a top team for a long long time. We looked fecking lightyears behind them and all the other top sides. I just remember there was a real sense of finality about it, we just looked finished

Ten Hag has done an absolutely incredible job, it is ludicrous how fast he's turned the ship around.

We've finally got a manager that is elite, that is World class, I've started to notice fans of other clubs begrudgingly praising him, they can see how good he is. It feels like Man Utd again.

shabadu84

Mint? Berry?
Though much to be seen on just how good we actually are, it can't be denied that Manchester United are a serious football side again under him. Remarkable transformation in such a short time. Long may it continue and hopefully the new owners recognize the potential that is already in place.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
What I think is important as a manager is getting rid of the right players as much as getting the right players in. Don't have anything personally against Mata, Pogba, Lingard, Ronaldo and Henderson but not renewing their contracts / letting them leave was so important for the club. Ronaldo going I think was the big one. I think also dropping players at the right time is important as well, Solskjaer and Rangnick could've saved themselves a world of hurt had they dropped Maguire when he was dropping stinker after stinker. The way ten Hag has handled it is excellent, Maguire's club captain and he's basically 4th choice yet you don't hear a peep about it in the media, that's some seriously good management.

lex talionis

What I think is important as a manager is getting rid of the right players as much as getting the right players in. Don't have anything personally against Mata, Pogba, Lingard, Ronaldo and Henderson but not renewing their contracts / letting them leave was so important for the club. Ronaldo going I think was the big one. I think also dropping players at the right time is important as well, Solskjaer and Rangnick could've saved themselves a world of hurt had they dropped Maguire when he was dropping stinker after stinker. The way ten Hag has handled it is excellent, Maguire's club captain and he's basically 4th choice yet you don't hear a peep about it in the media, that's some seriously good management.
Agreed. ETH had to purge the cancer in the squad such as players like Ronaldo, Pogba and Lingard. Mata was done and he knew it, so no harm no foul there. Henderson is an impatient man but one can understand his frustration. But the point is that ETH had to so much shit to deal with, it's mind-boggling that we've done as well as we've done this season so far despite everything.

saivet

I've not bought into a United manager post-SAF but I'm all in with ETH. We didn't get the win today and our performances have been up and down but even forgetting the results. The progress we have seen under him in terms of our style of football, improving players who have been written off is just so impressive.

Outside of the football on the pitch, I think he dealt with the Ronaldo situation brilliantly throughout, has managed Sancho's situation well and has brought Garnacho through impressively. He doesn't like to rotate but I think he's also quite consistent in dropping or starting players in or out of form too.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Yep. There's a lot of positive in just having a smaller, concise squad where everyone has a clear role, everyone is fighting for a spot and everyone fits the manager, people aren't half out the door or well below the required level. We aren't there yet, but working on it. The senior guys out on loan (Bailly, telles, Henderson, tuanzebe) and then Maguire, jones, Williams, Van de Beek, McTominay, elanga, martial with his constant injuries all have to be moved on still. 11 senior players who for one reason or another have a minimal impact on the team and could be replaced by just 3 signings.

El Jefe

Hit them out wide and nullified the midfield. Great performance especially off the ball with the pressures all throughout. Great tactics

Our one big issue every game is playing out the back, we struggled with it all game and thats the only way Barca were going to create. Hope we can get better at that
We have DDG, AWB and Varane in three of the back five positions unfortunately. You can manage with one player who isn't the strongest but three is just too much.

Once we upgrade the goalie and RB positions we will look so much better at playing out from the back.

AneRu

He is fearless and that makes him brilliant. He didn't defer to Barca despite their form and the number of absentees we had. I can imagine how Ole and Mourinho would have approached this and got us mauled but this guy has us ruing that we didnt put four past them in their backyard.

If he properly backed in the summer he will have us fighting for the title and the CL, with our squad of misfits we are technically in a title race though we arent strong enough to sustain the challenge. Imagine what he could do with a bona fide thirty goal striker and a midfield schemer in the team!

shabadu84

Mint? Berry?
Agreed. ETH had to purge the cancer in the squad such as players like Ronaldo, Pogba and Lingard. Mata was done and he knew it, so no harm no foul there. Henderson is an impatient man but one can understand his frustration. But the point is that ETH had to so much shit to deal with, it's mind-boggling that we've done as well as we've done this season so far despite everything.
The FdJ transfer saga, the two ugly losses to start the season, Ronaldo, Maguire, a mid-season World Cup, no January teansfer funds, Greenwood...he's handled it all as well as we could hope while improving the squad harmony and getting more out of pretty much every player than any of our prior managers. It's been remarkable.

SAFMUTD

Give him the players he wants and he'll lead us back to glory.

He's special.

MyBloodIsRed

Feck me... perfect manager at the perfect time for our club. Back him with some funds in Summer and we'll be collecting silverware each season!!

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
There's an alternate timeline where United went for the pundits choice Pochettino. :eek:

Just imagine...

...thank God we got Ten Hag.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Working wonders. That performance was something we haven't seen since about 2011 in Europe. Going toe to toe away from home against top opposition in a pressure cooker while the ref was plotting against us. Most encouraging game all season.

Still fear our lack of depth could be a killer and fatigue will hit us down the road but that's for another time.

This season is a free hit. Win the league cup and see how far we go in the other comps. The real fun starts in the summer.

bosskeano

Working wonders. That performance was something we haven't seen since about 2011 in Europe. Going toe to toe away from home against top opposition in a pressure cooker while the ref was plotting against us. Most encouraging game all season.

Still fear our lack of depth could be a killer and fatigue will hit us down the road but that's for another time.

This season is a free hit. Win the league cup and see how far we go in the other comps. The real fun starts in the summer.
only if we finish top 4

Big Ray

Slowly awakening the sleeping giant. He really is a genius and gets the max from his players. When we’re full out again we’ll give the top place a good rattle. We have a team of leaders / winners who can bring the rest along for the sail. Fair play to ten hag for spotting the right players so far.

bosskeano

We should do, we're a very strong team and we're slowly getting players back from injuries.
still think we are a bit short up front.....need to keep Rashy in bubble wrap until somehow sancho regains form, martial figures out how to stay fit and antony returns healthy

for the most part we've been ok defensively...28 goals conceded...but as we saw tonight, we still have the ability to give up stupid goals

if we can keep Casa and Rashy fit and in the same type of form, we're in good shape.

PLUS Spurs are in free fall a bit as Conte is throwing his toys out the pram right now styaing in Italy to recover from his surgery so they are probably done for the top 4

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
still think we are a bit short up front.....need to keep Rashy in bubble wrap until somehow sancho regains form, martial figures out how to stay fit and antony returns healthy

for the most part we've been ok defensively...28 goals conceded...but as we saw tonight, we still have the ability to give up stupid goals

if we can keep Casa and Rashy fit and in the same type of form, we're in good shape.

PLUS Spurs are in free fall a bit as Conte is throwing his toys out the pram right now styaing in Italy to recover from his surgery so they are probably done for the top 4
Yeah that's a fair view. I think we might look better up front when Martial finally gets back to full health as he's quietly had a good season when, emphasis on the when, he's played.

bosskeano

Yeah that's a fair view. I think we might look better up front when Martial finally gets back to full health as he's quietly had a good season when, emphasis on the when, he's played.
he's not played more than 60 minutes since what prior to the WC starting which seems like ages ago