Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 600 55.2%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 487 44.8%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Robbie Boy

Ole's first game against Cardiff. Except Ole hadn't even coached the team then. They were just free from the shackles of Mourinho
One game? I think that poster is talking about having actual patterns of play, a modern playing style and playing consistently good football.

That was a fun match, mind. Just being rid of Jose was a relief.

OmarUnited4ever

Doing great work and I know we shouldn't get ahead of ourselves but I feel like he can achieve something substantial in his first season here.

Strelok

I don't think this is about Bruno, more about Sancho being better centrally than on the right.
Agree. Both Bruno and Sancho couldn't dribble past defenders like Rashford in the left wing. But Bruno is a fantastic crosser. Very logic choice imo.

jamesjimmybyrondean

One game? I think that poster is talking about having actual patterns of play, a modern playing style and playing consistently good football.

That was a fun match, mind. Just being rid of Jose was a relief.
Then I'll have to say after the restart with MMM frontline

Redfrog

We didn't, at any stage, and it's not even close.

We had some good results, but our football was stuck in the past and extremely negative. We finally look like a modern football playing team. We had the odd good performance under Jose/Ole, but that's about it. We finally look consistently good.
That’s what I thought . :lol:

Marwood

When, since Fergie, have we played better football ?
Refresh my memory because I can’t remember.
I think after the covid restart we were on fire. That Brighton away game, think it was 3 nil and the period around that.Didn't we set a Premier League record for winning games and scoring three?

Anyway it's the past now. My initial point was how early promise can go wrong if a few bad decisions are made.

Suedesi

Not at all. Clearly ETH is a better manager.

I just don't think we're playing quite as well as some think. Nor do I really get the need to pretend we never played well under Ole. It's strange.

Today again that was a poor first half. Thankfully Leicester didn't take advantage.
We did have a game in Camp Nou on Thursday night while Leicester were chilling for a week, so understandably we weren't as fresh. Still won 3-0!

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
When, since Fergie, have we played better football ?
Refresh my memory because I can’t remember.
Only period that comes close is the 11 league games post lockdown - 9 wins and 2 draws including an EPL record of winning 4 games on the trot by 3 goals or more. Our level did get progressively worse throughout that spell though and we lost a few semi-finals.

Atheist

Who knows how it would have worked out, but I tend to agree. Last season was a fecking mess, and it's probably for the best that he wasn't kept on.
Rangnick essentially called the squad rubbish and think we needed to replace the whole squad. It may have reflected in the performances but many of those players have significantly improved under Ten Haag. I’m not sure most of them would have liked to continue working (perhaps indirectly) with someone who essentially thought they didn’t deserve to be at the club.

Redfrog

I think after the covid restart we were on fire. That Brighton away game, think it was 3 nil and the period around that.Didn't we set a Premier League record for winning games and scoring three?

Anyway it's the past now. My initial point was how early promise can go wrong if a few bad decisions are made.
You basically said that it was not the first time we played that good since Fergie.

I agree we had our moments with Ole, and I was never criticizing him, but it was more form and brillance based on individual talents then a clear system. So that was never going to last.
Now, even when we are not at our best, we can see that we are still solid and organized.

Redfrog

Only period that comes close is the 11 league games post lockdown - 9 wins and 2 draws including an EPL record of winning 4 games on the trot by 3 goals or more. Our level did get progressively worse throughout that spell though and we lost a few semi-finals.
It was form, not a system, which will never last at the end.
Under ETH, since the first two games we are solid. Even if not brilliant, we can get a result and are more or less dominant appart from few blips. Under Ole it was some runs. It is normal service resumed under ETH.

Robbie Boy

Then I'll have to say after the restart with MMM frontline
Yep, was good.

Still lots of revisionism around that time. Those 3 looked poor until Bruno arrived. We then proceeded to win an un-Godly amount of penos, and despite those 4 looking great, we were still dog shit at playing any form of cohesive football. It never looked remotely sustainable.

This football - man-for-man - is absolutely miles better.

bosskeano

a bit surprising how open he has them playing...giving up 16 shots today and almost 20 against Barca

really looking forward to what he does with the squad this summer both additions and subtractions so he can really put his stamp on the squad

Robbie Boy

Rangnick essentially called the squad rubbish and think we needed to replace the whole squad. It may have reflected in the performances but many of those players have significantly improved under Ten Haag. I’m not sure most of them would have liked to continue working (perhaps indirectly) with someone who essentially thought they didn’t deserve to be at the club.
Possibly. I think his role was rather vague and not sure he would have had much of a say. Probably best he's gone though.

Suv666

Who would have thought It would be this quick. Convinced if we had gotten him a bit earlier we could have genuinely challenged for the title.

Incredible manager has the potential to be a legend of the game

Roboc7

Only 9 points off our points tally from whole of last season. First half was like a flashback to previous managers, second half was how we should have played from the start.

Marwood

You basically said that it was not the first time we played that good since Fergie.

I agree we had our moments with Ole, and I was never criticizing him, but it was more form and brillance based on individual talents then a clear system. So that was never going to last.
Now, even when we are not at our best, we can see that we are still solid and organized.
I've also said this team is much more solid. Better defensively. I think things are looking stronger for the future.

But in an attacking sense, yeah I think we for periods were better under Ole. That's not a criticism of ETH though, I'm sure it'll come.

Right now our attack is the ball through to Rashford, usually from Bruno. Which is pretty much been our thing for three years now. Anyone going on about our attacking play being so much better is seeing what they want to see.

Again, not a criticism of ETH. Reality is outside of Rashford and Bruno barely anyone else is contributing.

AneRu

You only need to look at Dalot and Wan Bissaka to know that he is a magician. Any other manager would have binned both but he salvaged their United careers andhe can now comfortably look at other positions whilst they carry on and maybe look to sign a starter in 2025.

That's the importance of a good manager he can recover lost value on the training pitch not wait around for signings. Imagine how we had ourselves believing under previous regimes that this team is this or that position away from competing but he, even with our imperfections, is going for the lot.

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
His reading of games and his in-game adjustments are so good. First time we have a manager that fills me with confidence even when a game isn’t going well, because I trust him to figure it out.

Chairman Steve

He’s the man. I remember people saying he’s not good with subs when he first came here but lately it feels like every sub has been effective. Missing a few key players and still look good, which bodes well for the future.

It’s good we’ve got this many games too. Means he has to make use of his squad and the squad gets used to having 2 games a week (something that we will experience regularly if we’re going to be good). There’s been plenty of teams who look good one season without Europe and then when they have Europe the following season, they don’t look as good.

AshRK

We finally have a MANAGER to match the standards of this club. He doesn't whine about injuries or hectic schedule or lack of spending in January. He is just doing his job and that too perfectly.

Top class stuff.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Since the first two games, we've picked up most points in the league. Incredible that those two garbage games could cost us a chance of winning the league!

Mindhunter

Since the first two games, we've picked up most points in the league. Incredible that those two garbage games could cost us a chance of winning the league!
Are you sure? We certainly have after the World Cup but I am not sure it goes so far back.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Have to keep in mind that those 2 games were part of the process from a mentality point of view. The amount of togetherness and belief that we got in ten hag after rallying from that is huge. Also Ten Hag would have quickly found out from those who he can and can't trust. Sometimes you need it.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Man wasn't happy with the first half. "...great pass Bruno, great finish Rashy, but for the rest, it was rubbish."

My manager.