Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

How many of you would be prepared to give ETH 1 more full season to prove himself?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
That second half was up there with the best we've played all season. Less said about the first half the better but he changed it up.

Skills

Snitch
He's obviously fantastic, but he also highlights how moronic the manager needs time brigade actually were.

AndySmith1990

From BBC
Manchester United (23 points from 10 games) have picked up more Premier League points than any other team since the league resumed after the World Cup break.

United have won more games than any other side across the big five European leagues this season (27). They only won 20 games last season.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I disagree. While I love Martinez and Casemiro, I don't think his recruitment has been particularly good. Eriksen has been good. Jurys is still out on Antony. Malacia is ok as a backup. Weghorst doesn't do much. A mixed bag really. What's more impressive is EtH's ability to get the players at his disposal to play good football. He has improved Rashford, Shaw and to some extent AWB and yesterday, we went toe to toe with number one in La Liga with Fred and Weghorst in the team.
Recruitment should be viewed as a collective group - as in, are Manchester United significantly better off today than they were before the group of players EtH brought in this year ? The answer is an unequivocal yes. Therefore recruitment under EtH has been very successful. You can add the slow motion shedding of Ronaldo into that equation as well.

ohhrooney

Best manager we have had after Fergie. For the first time in a decade we are actually playing beautiful football.

This energy after playing at nou camp just 3 days ago. Never expected it this soon, but ETH has transformed us.

Stactix

Saw a stat on BBC that was insane.

" United have won more games than any other side across the big five European leagues this season (27). They only won 20 games last season."

Flexdegea

I'm so grateful that we got this guy instead of Poch. TBF most of the Caf wanted him but there was a significant section of pundits etc that were pushing for Poch.
total nightmare scenerio when Poch was getting pushed by ex players and the media.

Would have been back to the same oul same oul where hes not a winner, and we will be back to sacking him and then stuck with his players that the new manager 3 years later doesnt want.

Thank God we ended that trend. Unreal times at the moment.

bucky

Why doesn't he trust Bruno at 10 do we think? Not even playing sancho rw and sliding Bruno in

Edit maybe because he gets 2 assists from rw
I don't think this is about Bruno, more about Sancho being better centrally than on the right.

Robbie Boy

total nightmare scenerio when Poch was getting pushed by ex players and the media.

Would have been back to the same oul same oul where hes not a winner, and we will be back to sacking him and then stuck with his players that the new manager 3 years later doesnt want.

Thank God we ended that trend. Unreal times at the moment.
Poch would have had us playing a mix of Jose and Ole-ball. It would have set us back further in our pursuit to finally transition to a modern playing style.

pogbasformerbarber

What’s so amazing is this success is from his actual philosophy and tactical prowess. It’s not a bump from a players manager or a wildly crazy new system catching teams off guard.

ETH will change tactics mid game…sometimes quite drastically. Sometimes adjustments are rather conventional and other times extremely progressive.

His strength is ability to put players in the best position to succeed. It’s a strength that will never get old for players and why I think he will have such amazing staying power. The only players that will not succeed are those that would reject the team first tactics based on ego…and we don’t want those anyway. It’s almost a perfect system.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
I don't think this is about Bruno, more about Sancho being better centrally than on the right.
Bruno is better in both positions. He shouldn't sacrifice much superior players to accomodate Weghorst and Sancho. Even Rashford has had to play on the right to accomodate Garnacho, and as much as the kid has talent, he isn't ready to start.

Robbie Boy

What’s so amazing is this success is from his actual philosophy and tactical prowess. It’s not a bump from a players manager or a wildly crazy new system catching teams off guard.

ETH will change tactics mid game…sometimes quite drastically. Sometimes adjustments are rather conventional and other times extremely progressive.

His strength is ability to put players in the best position to succeed. It’s a strength that will never get old for players and why I think he will have such amazing staying power. The only players that will not succeed are those that would reject the team first tactics based on ego…and we don’t want those anyway. It’s almost a perfect system.
Great summary. Everything under previous post-Fergie managers just felt unsustainable, or a fluke tactical switch that worked for about 2 games.

Flexdegea

He's obviously fantastic, but he also highlights how moronic the manager needs time brigade actually were.

I don't think it's as moronic as you think, our greatest ever manager needed time.

But Hag is a absolute stud, incredible job he's done considering the circus around us from pre season transfer off field drama, the woeful start, media on back, Ronaldo, Maguire issue, absolutely incredible management and coaching in my opinion.

Still in every competition with a chance of winning, winning machine, 70%+ win rate not far of his Ajax win rate, in a far more competitive league is brilliant.

Blood Mage

What a manager we have now lads. He is better tactically than Fergie I think. Maybe not as good a motivator but then who is.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Never thought he would be able to implement his style this quickly. I'm officially convinced, Ten Hag is the second best bald Dutch manager of all time.

Atheist

His best decision was to bin Rangnick and not have him in any part of the process.

Robbie Boy

The notion of managers needing more time is applicable in some cases, but they are generally the exception, rather than the rule.

Our last two permanent managers got way too much time, which will obviously skew peoples views.

Redfrog

Nope never happened so you don't havw to say anything about it.

I'm only countering this idea we're now playing a level of football not seen since Fergie.

I just don't get the need to play down Ole's good points to praise ETH. I mean you downplaying the PSG away games to praise the recent Barca game. It's just flat out strange.

But to clarify, I really like ETH and have full confidence he'll get us back to the top. But I don't think we're as close as some do.
When, since Fergie, have we played better football ?
Refresh my memory because I can’t remember.

Robbie Boy

His best decision was to bin Rangnick and not have him in any part of the process.
Who knows how it would have worked out, but I tend to agree. Last season was a fecking mess, and it's probably for the best that he wasn't kept on.

Robbie Boy

When, since Fergie, have we played better football ?
Refresh my memory because I can’t remember.
We didn't, at any stage, and it's not even close.

We had some good results, but our football was stuck in the past and extremely negative. We finally look like a modern football playing team. We had the odd good performance under Jose/Ole, but that's about it. We finally look consistently good.

In Rainbows

Bruno is better in both positions. He shouldn't sacrifice much superior players to accomodate Weghorst and Sancho. Even Rashford has had to play on the right to accomodate Garnacho, and as much as the kid has talent, he isn't ready to start.
You're looking at it the wrong way. It's about what's best for the team.The discussion should not be Bruno at 10 > Sancho at 10

It should be about Sancho at 10 & Bruno rw > Sancho rw & Bruno at 10

Besides, they both switch with each other in game.

Matst1

Just read this stat, impressive.

United have won more games than any other side across the big five European leagues this season (27). They only won 20 games last season.