Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 648 44.6%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 806 55.4%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Woodywizz

It's ridiculously flawed. Doesn't take into account that yesterday was our 15th game of 2023, and it was played on 23 February. That's fecking ludicrous, and I'm surprised at the level of performances some of our lads are putting in, as they must be wrecked.

Barca have conceded 7 goals all season in La Liga, and we put 4 past them over 2 legs. ETH has had just over half a season and is generally still starting matches with 8 or so players from previous managers. The level of performances he has gotten out of this group is unbelievable.

Ole got stick because literally after his initial interim run, we looked absolutely horrible until Bruno arrived. Our football never looked sustainable under him, as we failed to control games, and were using out-dated tactics. We never hit the levels of football under him that we've seen under ETH. People must have short memories because the football we've played this season, looks a different sport to the one that was served up last season.

ETH hasn't even had a full season, and he has instilled a winning mentality and galvanised the whole club. Nitpicking utter shite to complain about to paint Ole in a better light is extraordinary stuff, it really is.

Totally agree mate, the difference in the football this season compared to last is night and day. We’ve now got belief, confidence, attitude, structure and a manager who has created all of this within half a season. It’s staggering what he has achieved so far.

Tony247

:yawn: because I want more intensity and focus from the off? Ok Robbie
Then you need to keep your expectations more realistic. This team is in process of transition. Need couple of more reinforcement to make it more balanced. Currently I think we are playing at very high potential given all strengths and weaknesses this team has, thanks to ETH and his staff of course.

This team may not dominate full 90 mins yet but has lot of juice to win games, that too in style.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Then you need to keep your expectations more realistic. This team is in process of transition. Need couple of more reinforcement to make it more balanced. Currently I think we are playing at very high potential given all strengths and weaknesses this team has, thanks to ETH and his staff of course.

This team may not dominate full 90 mins yet but has lot of juice to win games, that too in style.
Don't make me invoke standards, too. :lol:

Strelok

I watched it twice. They were pressuring us at the end.
Because the fecking ref was blatantly favoring them giving them all the 50/50 or every fecking time they dived?

We were very comfortable after the second goal and looked like we're about to score the third goal. Then Kounde fouled Rashford near their box when Rashford was on 1vs1 with Stegen. That should be a red card but the ref and VAR simply ignored it.

A few seconds later he gave them an imaginary foul near our box when Pedri (or Gavi) dived after Case legally took their ball. By that moment our whole team and ETH knew something was really fishy here that's why the team and ETH protested profusely and he got a yellow. That incident changed the whole dynamic of the game. Then the fecking cnut continued to blatantly favor them left, right, center. I was so gutted we didn't win against those cheating cnuts.

Hoof the ball

Arteta is going to have a Keegan moment by April time. They've already dropped a big points lead. Soon we'll be right on their heels and then this :-

"No, no... when you do that with footballers, like he said about Man City, and when you do things like that about a man like Granit Xhaka, I've kept really quiet, but I'll tell you something, he went down in my estimation when he said that,"

"We have not resorted to that, but I'll tell you, you can tell him now if you're watching it, we're still fighting for this title, and he's got to go to Fulham and get something, and... and... I'll tell you, honestly, I will love it if we beat them, love it!"

Judas

Open to offers
I pity those on here who still seem to struggle to enjoy watching us and where we are? Constantly looking for issues, finding faults, worrying. Sad little lives.

edcunited1878

Another 3 matches in a week, starting with a cup final at Wembley, FA Cup match at home against PL opposition, then away at the weekend against pool.

Whatever happens on Sunday, it'll be blown out of proportion if they lose and understated if they win. We've been through this before as the League Cup can be a false dawn for clubs who try to use it as a springboard. Your domestic campaign is the true barometer of your team's potential success moving forward and is necessary to back it up for a year at least to see if you're building and growth something sustainable at a high level.

Newcastle will have 7 full days since their last match against pool and have regressed in recent matches with only 1 win in their last 5 PL matches. It'll be a difficult match and tight affair as most cup finals are, but United have enough know how, just have to see how their energy levels are considering Marcus has a knock going into the match. And of course how Newcastle's deputy GK responds, that'll be interesting too.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
You have to appreciate his utter refusal to either air our dirty laundries or throw our players under the boss both which the likes of Mourinho and especially ragnick were guilty of and even sir Alex wasn't exempt from it at times.

It's still the early days but the way he handled the Ronaldo situation even when it became cleaf there was no point of return tells that's simply his modus operandi and that's certainly a very admirable trait.

Last edited:

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
You have to appreciate his utter refusal to either air our dirty laundries or throw our players under the boss both which the likes of Mourinho and especially Rangnick were guilty of and even sir Alex wasn't exempt from it at times.

It's still the early days but the way he handled the Ronaldo situation even when it became early there was no point of return tells that's simple his modus operandi and that's certainly a very admirable trait.
Absolutely this. He's a classy guy and seems to have the respect of the players, a great coaching staff and a plan.

Some of the little passages of play I've seen recently has been the best football I've seen since Sir Alex. Absolute joy to watch recently, especially some of that stuff in the first Barca leg.

I just hope whatever happens with the club that he's backed and we stick with him through any dips that come. He's just got it.

redmanx

Absolutely this. He's a classy guy and seems to have the respect of the players, a great coaching staff and a plan.

Some of the little passages of play I've seen recently has been the best football I've seen since Sir Alex. Absolute joy to watch recently, especially some of that stuff in the first Barca leg.

I just hope whatever happens with the club that he's backed and we stick with him through any dips that come. He's just got it.
As you say, what ever "IT" is ETH has it! He just seems so calm and positive, it must be so inspiring to have somebody like him on the touch line, watching, assessing, then acting as and when required. Hes a great leader leaving everybody in no doubt that hes the Boss. I only hope that who ever buys the club, should the Glazers sell, offers ETH a new, longer contract and gives him time to create something very special; the last thing we need now is for a so called "name to be signed as managerin his place....Im thinking of the perenial loser, Pottecino, the most over rated manager since the Prem started.

Ian Reus

Ended 14 years of Grand National sweepstakes
Can't remember a manager being able to change a game like ETH.
Came back against Barcelona twice to snatch a 2-2 loss and then best them on the return

Fergie style.

SAF is the GOAT

Don't know what's the source of this, but I'll tell one thing : this man is focused and committed!

Witchking

Don't know what's the source of this, but I'll tell one thing : this man is focused and committed!

I totally believe ten hag would do this and believe that this team has everything to win on Sunday.

But such posts are not necessary before a final, especially when there's no verification if it's actually true.

Ten hag takes it one game at a time and wouldn't take 10 to days before a huge Barcelona game.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular

I totally believe ten hag would do this and believe that this team has everything to win on Sunday.

But such posts are not necessary before a final, especially when there's no verification if it's actually true.

Ten hag takes it one game at a time and wouldn't take 10 to days before a huge Barcelona game.
The thing to keep in mind is that it doesn't say that he's been exclusively spending his time preparing for the Newcastle match. There are lots of hours in a day and plenty of time to consider different matches.

Other than that, I totally believe this has been on his mind for a while. He speaks of that 'only the next match matters' thing to the press, and most likely to his players - but clearly he doesn't actually work like that for himself. For example, in the match before the first Barcelona game (Forest, was it?), he played Shaw at LCB and Malacia LB while Martinez was available, plus later that match shifted Weghorst to AM. Clearly that was in preparation for Barcelona, where he did both from the start. That suggests that he considered that Forest match of lesser importance - or at least figures that the Forest game was easy enough to allow for a training exercise. Clearly not 'one match at a time' (which would be short-sighted anyway).

(This in turn connects to comments that he treats matches as training now, since there's so little serious training time due to the hectic schedule. And that in turn might help explain the slow starts, since it's been said the intensity from the last training session largely determines the intensity with which you get on the pitch at matchday.)

So I totally believe that he and his team have been thinking about the Newcastle match for a while - and would also not be surprised if he hadn't mentioned a word about that to the players until after yesterday's Barcelona game.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.

He's done a great job but anyone NOT doing this before a cup final against a dogged opponent just doesn't want to win enough.

Ian Reus

Ended 14 years of Grand National sweepstakes
He's done a great job but anyone NOT doing this before a cup final against a dogged opponent just doesn't want to win enough.
At least the Arabs need to buy the full Microsoft office licence to study our last 10 days
ETH can just use free version for Newcastle games.

Yakuza_devils

The way we played last season under Ole and Rangnick, everyone thought we need another 3 years and 1 billion to do another major rebuild. The entire squad was rotten, ill discplined, can't string 2 passes together under pressure and played like complete strangers week in week out. We were the joke of world football and it was shameful.

The best we can hope for this season is that we can establish a modern attractive style of play and try to finish top 4 to get into CL.

No one in their wildest dream can predict what's happening in the club with ETH now. He is showing us something very special. It feels like SAF is back to the club. The fighting spirit, the quality, team work, discipline, grit and fighting for each other. This is truly something special in the making. Another 26 years to go with ETH.

WE. ARE. BACK. AFTER. 10. FECKING. MISERABLE. YEARS.

MrPaxtons

The way we played last season under Ole and Rangnick, everyone thought we need another 3 years and 1 billion to do another major rebuild. The entire squad was rotten, ill discplined, can't string 2 passes together under pressure and played like complete strangers week in week out. We were the joke of world football and it was shameful.

The best we can hope for this season is that we can establish a modern attractive style of play and try to finish top 4 to get into CL.

No one in their wildest dream can predict what's happening in the club with ETH now. He is showing us something very special. It feels like SAF is back to the club. The fighting spirit, the quality, team work, discipline, grit and fighting for each other. This is truly something special in the making. Another 26 years to go with ETH.

WE. ARE. BACK. AFTER. 10. FECKING. MISERABLE. YEARS.
Great post. It’s mad that it’s been 10 years since sir Alex left and 10 years since I enjoyed football, I finally look forward to a United game now and it’s a bloody brilliant feeling.

Eli Zee

With ETH at the wheel, we can actually beat good teams (sometimes very comfortably) due to actually playing better than them.. it's nice to be able to actually compete and win against good teams in a more dominant fashion than the last decade of shitball.

A manager like ten hag makes you wonder what the hell the others were doing/thinking....they got it so wrong. Whatever they got paid, ETH is worth 3x it. Probably more than that, if he is able to bring dominance and stability to the club, which will have huge returns itself in a number of ways (more fans, players want to come here, financially, etc).

Bloedrood

What makes Ten Hag very different especiallly from managers like Mourinho and Van Gaal is that he doesn't have a big ego. He's humble, honest and down to earth. Doesn't make things about himself, no act, doesn't put up a show. In that sense he hasn't really changed, was the same at Utrecht and Ajax.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
And for me this is an issue that ten Hag needs to correct. Madrid and Bayern won't let us get away with this kind of performance. So while things are going great there are areas that we need to improve.
If we can toe to toe with top clubs like City, Arsenal and Barca, then we're in excellent position. We have acres of space for improvement, clear weaknesses to address.

I mean we're playing with a running body in position that is usually occupied by a striker, our goalkeeper can barely pass the ball and our second best midfielder almost died 2 years ago (and we signed him on a free).

For those clubs it's much more difficult to improve. I can't see us not closing the gap on them, unless we stay with the Glazers.

The fact that we're competing, and actually playing some good football with this squad is very concerning to opposition fans.

Eli Zee

I heard a stat that we have the most wins of any club in the top 5 this season.. does anyone have or know where to find a graph or chart showing the total matches and wins/losses/stats of teams for all competitions?

I can't find any total win/loss/goals stats as a team except for when they are separated by League/competition.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
If we can toe to toe with top clubs like City, Arsenal and Barca, then we're in excellent position. We have acres of space for improvement, clear weaknesses to address.

I mean we're playing with a running body in position that is usually occupied by a striker, our goalkeeper can barely pass the ball and our second best midfielder almost died 2 years ago (and we signed him on a free).

For those clubs it's much more difficult to improve. I can't see us not closing the gap on them, unless we stay with the Glazers.

The fact that we're competing, and actually playing some good football with this squad is very concerning to opposition fans.
I thinks that's a bit harsh on the squad. Didn't ten Hag himself say the team had a lot of potential?

He's now unlocking that as we've seen significant increase in performance levels in many of them. We have and are improving, there are some areas where we can do better. I'm glad they are few.

el3mel

The fact that we're only 5 points away from the top is mental. I don't remember the last time we were entering March and the league title isn't mathematically done for us.

erikcred

The fact that we're only 5 points away from the top is mental. I don't remember the last time we were entering March and the league title isn't mathematically done for us.
Exactly. Plus even if we fall short of the title, we are in good shape to win the Mickey Mouse treble. What a first season that would be!

Robbie Boy

I'm buzzing at the prospect of him winning his first trophy with us tomorrow. He's been a revelation and an absolute breath of fresh air, that this club badly needed.

NLunited

And for me this is an issue that ten Hag needs to correct. Madrid and Bayern won't let us get away with this kind of performance. So while things are going great there are areas that we need to improve.
Yes, but we are not the finished article. Consider where we were last season.

Since when is Madrid better than Barça? Not this season.

Hag is the first to get on top of stuff like that.