Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 648 44.6%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 806 55.4%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

DutchSerb

Supports
FC Groningen
What are you basing this statement on? Didn't his contract include 2 years in an advisory position after the initial management period? In his first presser he referenced that by saying that he may even 'advise' that he should continue as manager.
Yes but he left by his own choice, did he not? I thought he stated he wanted to solely focus on the Austria job.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
A bunch of people need to be banned. It's actually bizarre at this point. In this thread I feel like I'm having conversations with opposition fans, not Manchester United fans. Some posters actually come out as DESPERATE to find something to criticise or even shit on the team/players/coach.
I wonder how some of you deal with different opinions in life outside of this forum. If someone says something I don't agree with I'll reply (or more likely just ignore it). Who cares?

Rusholme Ruffian

Yes but he left by his own choice, did he not? I thought he stated he wanted to solely focus on the Austria job.
I think it's highly likely that one of ETH's stipulations for taking the United job was that he didn't want RR around sticking his nose in - completely understandably. I mean ETH didn't even bother to have a handover conversation with RR, which speaks volumes! I expect that as soon as RR had been made aware that he wouldn't be sticking around he put feelers out for another job.

Rusholme Ruffian

I wonder how some of you deal with different opinions in life outside of this forum. If someone says something I don't agree with I'll reply (or more likely just ignore it). Who cares?
do you really want me to go back and quote some of the many hundred acerbic responses you gave to anybody criticising Ole Solskjaer when it was clear that he was taking the club nowhere?! Honestly, I don't know how you've got the gall to even write that post!

Leftback99

do you really want me to go back and quote some of the many hundred acerbic responses you gave to anybody criticising Ole Solskjaer when it was clear that he was taking the club nowhere?! Honestly, I don't know how you've got the gall to even write that post!
Jesus are you STILL talking about Ole?

And yeah go for it if you want. Maybe start a separate thread about him like I've told you to do before. You might eventually get over him.

It's a forum for discussing opinions, non of which makes any difference at the end of the day. Some of you take it way too seriously.

Rusholme Ruffian

Jesus are you STILL talking about Ole?

And yeah go for it if you want. Maybe start a separate thread about him like I've told you to do before. You might eventually get over him.

It's a forum for discussing opinions, non of which makes any difference at the end of the day. Some of you take it way too seriously.
I've just been talking about Ralf too - if it's relevant then I'll discuss it. And Ole is absolutely relevant to the hypocritical post you just made. You didn't seem so keen on defending the right to express different opinions (even when they were clearly correct!) a few years back.

Leftback99

I've just been talking about Ralf too - if it's relevant then I'll discuss it. And Ole is absolutely relevant to the hypocritical post you just made. You didn't seem so keen on defending the right to express different opinions (even when they were clearly correct!) a few years back.
Correct about what? Did I ask for anyone banned?

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
:lol:

I was about to write the same tbh. That guy is a proper hypocrite.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
There's always room for legitimate constructive criticism with any manager, as nobody ever gets it right 100% of the time. So I don't agree with the people who try to shut down any and all negative thoughts.

That said, I do find it very interesting and hypocritical how some of the loudest critics in this thread are people who defended Ole to the death and shouted down any opinions to the contrary during his time as manager.

Leftback99

:lol:

I was about to write the same tbh. That guy is a proper hypocrite.
I'm a hypocrite because I disagreed with posters that wanted Ole sacked in 2019 before he went on to finish 3rd and 2nd? They gave an opinion, I disagreed (and was proven correct), I didn't ask for anyone banned or called them 'rival fans' or whatever. How does that make me a hypocrite with what I posted above?

DutchSerb

Supports
FC Groningen
I think it's highly likely that one of ETH's stipulations for taking the United job was that he didn't want RR around sticking his nose in - completely understandably. I mean ETH didn't even bother to have a handover conversation with RR, which speaks volumes! I expect that as soon as RR had been made aware that he wouldn't be sticking around he put feelers out for another job.
If that's the case then I stand corrected. Thought the timing was a little strange, since he took the job a week after ETH was signed. Thought it might've been a pride thing. Good call by Erik though. I can't knock RR for being honest, but he went overboard in my opinion, especially with the 10 new players comment. Even if we, the caf agreed, there is no way he could salvage anything from that season with all the stuff he said week in week out. Felt like sometimes he forgot he was still also the manager of that same underperforming team.

Leftback99

Correct about Ole not being up to the job!

No, but I think the banning talk is just hyperbole really. Although if there are oppo fans pretending to be United fans then banning would be justified for them imho.
You won't find a single post from me saying I thought he'd bring us long term success, or that he was an elite manager. But 3rd and 2nd was acceptable performance at the time, simple as that. Some of you didn't agree, I argued otherwise, in the end so what?

Rusholme Ruffian

You won't find a single post from me saying I thought he'd bring us long term success, or that he was an elite manager. But 3rd and 2nd was acceptable performance at the time, simple as that. Some of you didn't agree, I argued otherwise, in the end so what?
3 wasted years, when we could have been working with a manager that DID have the ability to bring long term success - that's the point that many of us were making that you wouldn't consider. But I agree, it's not important now.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
I find it quite disturbing that a lot of people are agreeing with you here. You don't ban people for having a different opinion from you. That's North Korea or Nazi Germany..
As long as people are honest and respectful with each other, a healthy debate is what keeps these forums alive.
If we all were only allowed to say how brilliant we were, no matter how shit we were playing, it would grow boring very fast
Give the Newbie a thumbs up - this is spot on

Leftback99

3 wasted years, when we could have been working with a manager that DID have the ability to bring long term success - that's the point that many of us were making that you wouldn't consider. But I agree, it's not important now.
We'd have had one of the likes of Rodgers, Conte, Poch, Rangnick or whatever other flavour of the month at the time if you got your way. It could easily have been worse as better under the old Woodward regime. We had one of the best ever in Mourinho and we all saw how that went.

Ten Hag has come at the right time when the club had at least started to make changes behind the scenes.

Rusholme Ruffian

We'd have had one of the likes of Rodgers, Conte, Poch, Rangnick or whatever other flavour of the month at the time if you got your way. It could easily have been worse as better under the old Woodward regime.
Oh my god, you are still trying to justify it?!

I mean, I certainly didn't want Rodgers, I'd barely heard of Ralf before we started to be linked with him, but to call Conte or Pochettino 'flavour of the month managers' as though they are in some way inferior to Solsjkaer is insane.

wolvored

Yes this is what I think as well. It was all of a sudden him leaving.

NZT-One

I find it quite disturbing that a lot of people are agreeing with you here. You don't ban people for having a different opinion from you. That's North Korea or Nazi Germany..
As long as people are honest and respectful with each other, a healthy debate is what keeps these forums alive.
If we all were only allowed to say how brilliant we were, no matter how shit we were playing, it would grow boring very fast
Well said, but the people you are adressing, won't take it seriously because they feel justified enough to do it for the right cause.

Oh my god, you are still trying to justify it?!

I mean, I certainly didn't want Rodgers, I'd barely heard of Ralf before we started to be linked with him, but to call Conte or Pochettino 'flavour of the month managers' as though they are in some way inferior to Solsjkaer is insane.
I agree. Plus I'd that Mourinho had already quite a lot of dents in his "special one" reputation. Going out with a bang at Real, then on Chelsea (and didn't he also fall out with quite a lot of people at Inter in between?). Mourinho wasn't one of the best at the time he was brought in. He was well known and his past has been glorious but his actual qualities (at the time) were questionable. Same can be said about LVG. Still find it hilarious, that those two were brought in as justification, that sticking with Ole was only logical because "United tried elite coaches but failed so elite coaches can't be the way forward".

King Kendrick

Supports
Eredivisie
I think the profile of our (assuming none of the reputable sources linking us are chatting shit) targets is definitely telling us the story of which way ETH views as forward, akin to his earlier Ajax teams. Will be interesting to see how the summer unfolds and how he rejiggers his tactics going into next season. Probably see a lot more of Licha stepping into midfield.

Oscar Bonavena

A new member calling for people to be banned because they don't like other people's opinions on the football club?!

For f*ck's sake!

NLunited

We were both toothless and they took the lead. Without that awful decision we wouldn't have won. You can take the red specs off mate, sometimes we get lucky, it's fine.
Nope not how I see it. Tactical battle
I think the profile of our (assuming none of the reputable sources linking us are chatting shit) targets is definitely telling us the story of which way ETH views as forward, akin to his earlier Ajax teams. Will be interesting to see how the summer unfolds and how he rejiggers his tactics going into next season. Probably see a lot more of Licha stepping into midfield.
Martinez in midfield? He wasn‘t playing in midfield when there were no midfielders. What makes you think he will play in midfield?

I think he will play lcb where he is needed snd one of the best.

King Kendrick

Supports
Eredivisie
Nope not how I see it. Tactical battle

Martinez in midfield? He wasn‘t playing in midfield when there were no midfielders. What makes you think he will play in midfield?

I think he will play lcb where he is needed snd one of the best.
In the buildup phase, not positionally. Again, this is assuming everyone in the back 5 is technically secure with KMJ, Frimpong and GK brought in.

jamesjimmybyrondean

In the buildup phase, not positionally. Again, this is assuming everyone in the back 5 is technically secure with KMJ, Frimpong and GK brought in.
Yeah I can see this to. Timber was the one carrying the ball to midfield during build up but I can see Martinez doing this for us

Toshey

Supports
Levski Sofia
This is not a matter of different opinions. There is a fine line between criticism and mindless hate. If somebody refuses to support the team no matter what - how are they considered fans?
There are posters in this thread who only show up when something goes wrong. Never willing to praise, never happy for the team/manager.

Having different opinion is fine. Using this thread to constantly bash the current Manchester United manager no matter what, stinks of opposition supporter.
And I stand by my words - I believe people like this should be banned from this thread.
I'm fine with constructive posts and justified criticism.
100% against mindless hate.

We live in a world where some people use the freedom of speech as excuse to be vile.
I'm against that. You can disagree with me.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
This is not a matter of different opinions. There is a fine line between criticism and mindless hate. If somebody refuses to support the team no matter what - how are they considered fans?
There are posters in this thread who only show up when something goes wrong. Never willing to praise, never happy for the team/manager.

Having different opinion is fine. Using this thread to constantly bash the current Manchester United manager no matter what, stinks of opposition supporter.
And I stand by my words - I believe people like this should be banned from this thread.
I'm fine with constructive posts and justified criticism.
100% against mindless hate.

We live in a world where some people use the freedom of speech as excuse to be vile.
I'm against that. You can disagree with me.
Examples of "mindless hate" against the manager?

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Great finish and highest points total since the 2nd Mou season.

Let's go and give it our all for the FA cup final

mikeyt

It's very possible we will get schooled by City in the Cup final next week, however a 3rd place finish, a trophy and a cup final (win or lose) with everything else he's had to deal with, Ronaldo et al, I think ETH has had an unreal first season with us.

Still loads to do and I don't think we've played the sort of football we started to see pre World Cup since but injuries have hurt us. The right ins and outs this summer and we could be players next season.

Great first season!

PoTMS

Disappointing middle third of the season but overall very good season considering we've finished third and got to 2 finals, winning one of them. He needs to build on this and improve next season though especially our dreadful away performances.

Cloud7

Third place finish, 1-2 cups and signs of positive, coherent football and actually being able to improve players. I'll take that for a first season. Onwards and upwards next season hopefully.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Very good season, especially after first 2 games.

Hopefully we will end on high with one more cup win.

Irwin99

I was worried after those first two games and I saw this season as a rebuild with us probably missing out on top 4. All things considered, he's done what very few people would have guessed after that Brentford defeat.

75 points is good/decent total, especially for a first season and I think it's our second highest other than Jose's 81. A good platform to build on.

Can't wait to win the FA cup and make it an even better season :drool: