Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

How many of you would be prepared to give ETH 1 more full season to prove himself?

• Yes

Votes: 376 26.5%
  • No

Votes: 1,043 73.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Greck

Have you referred to ten Hag as a tiki taka coach? If you have then you're wrong.

And both Guardiola and Rene Maric are telling you the definition of tiki taka from their own experiences in my previous post. And both men operate as coaches at the elite level. It's not difficult to write 'positional play'
I don't know if the world needed a new word or phrase for an oversimplified all encompassing slang but this is good to know. Can definitely see it having the same semantic recognition with the masses. Hopefully doesn't come across as pedantic.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I don't know if the world needed a new word or phrase for an oversimplified all encompassing slang but this is good to know. Can definitely see it having the same semantic recognition with the masses. Hopefully doesn't come across as pedantic.
It didn't need a new word, but it actually needed people to listen/learn from people who are working within the game, to better under a concept that first appeared to the masses in the 70s, and was later tweaked by many others.

M16Red

Normally we are all over the news, talks with this play and that player.

Players are all over social media.

This year.

Not. A. Thing.

Apart from Rashford... but he was working on fitness.

I like this. Hopefully ETH can get us to play some team football, that's all I want. Good football.

Grande

Wait, are you saying hat ‘positional play’ is a new phrase for ‘tiki taka’?

I agree that words and meanings are not set in stone, but change slowly with the way different people use them. That doesn’t mean a wors can’t be used badly, like when my teenage daughter will insist that ‘exponential growth’ does not mean what the math teacher tells her, because she nd a friend uses it differently and why shouldn’t their opinion matter equally much?

Greck

Wait, are you saying hat ‘positional play’ is a new phrase for ‘tiki taka’?

I agree that words and meanings are not set in stone, but change slowly with the way different people use them. That doesn’t mean a wors can’t be used badly, like when my teenage daughter will insist that ‘exponential growth’ does not mean what the math teacher tells her, because she nd a friend uses it differently and why shouldn’t their opinion matter equally much?
Nah I'm not saying anything. That particular post was actually tongue in cheek to get out of a convo I thought had become a bit pointless. I've actually never heard anyone call it positional play. What is more important is ETH's football and not stigmatising control styles. That's the real issue over the assigned semantics. Not trying to see people romanticising that route one shite we played under the last 2 managers.

Judging by what is said about possession football already get the feeling a faction won't appreciate ETH's vertical tikitaka at first. Let's even be honest, there's a real possibility it's going to look dull in the first year while the players figure it out and we identify and replace struggling adapters.

Last edited:

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ma...news/pep-guardiola-man-city-news-18228495.amp

I hope Ten Hag isn't making the same mistake that he commented on a couple of years ago.

A couple of signings aren't going to scratch the surface in terms of getting a team capable of getting top 4.

De Jong would be the best defensive midfielder since Carrick. I hope to see alot more signings.
Yeah but as we’ve already seen from your threads, your expectations are so far removed from reality

Flexdegea

Yeah but as we’ve already seen from your threads, your expectations are so far removed from reality

He the sort of fan i wouldn't mind if he supported another team as he just seems so miserable supporting us, and just stinking out every topic with the negativity

MrSingh2002

Ever since I said we needed Klopp, Pep or Jose to succeed Fergie. Who was wrong? Many fans want to bury their heads in the sand and lower their own standards and expectations. Apologies for not being one of them.

Before the days when I needed to vent on a forum times were good. We expected 1st every season and the manager and the players were good enough to achieve it. Why should our demands and expectations of the club change when the club still earns more than enough money to be at the top?

golden_blunder

Staff
Ever since I said we needed Klopp, Pep or Jose to succeed Fergie. Who was wrong? Many fans want to bury their heads in the sand and lower their own standards and expectations. Apologies for not being one of them.

Before the days when I needed to vent on a forum times were good. We expected 1st every season and the manager and the players were good enough to achieve it. Why should our demands and expectations of the club change when the club still earns more than enough money to be at the top?
So venting is why you cone on the forum. Most people come to chat. Different outlook

MrSingh2002

So venting is why you cone on the forum. Most people come to chat. Different outlook
If your expectations of the club are where they should be. Naturally there's more to vent than chat about. Gotta realise where the clubs at and has been going the last 8 years.

golden_blunder

Staff
If your expectations of the club are where they should be. Naturally there's more to vent than chat about. Gotta realise where the clubs at and has been going the last 8 years.
Don’t you realise we have a board full of people who aren’t as negative as you and you’re starting to drag them down. Same goes for the other overly negative people. Just give it a rest now and let the new teams do their job

Last edited:

goalscholes

Yes Ole ultimately fell abit short (not a lot though btw) and ultimately couldn’t push us on to the next level. That’s why he was rightly sacked. That doesn’t mean that he didn’t have incredibly bad cup draw luck, which plays a much more important role than people realise and it was undoubtably fine margins in many games. He didn’t do everything right but it’s symptomatic of the caf that he receives zero credit for a decent job.
He absolutely bottled every final he was in.

He could do well enough with a happy team of decent ability players, but didn’t have the tactics, decision making or nerve to win a high-stakes knockout tournament.

Hence we lost to a swathe of worse teams when the pressure was high.

TheDosser56

I think a lot of fans don't understand how important a sweeper keeper goal-keeper is for ETH in the system he wants to play. In someways it's his most important position to build the play from the back.

we have a goal-keeper who can't sweep and has bad distribution so United can't build the play from the back

a centre-half and captain who can't play a high-line (Maguire)

and a striker who can't press (Ronaldo but even young players like Rashford, Sancho and Elanga don't do it when they play on the wings so makes things worse and unforgivable)

it's a recipe for disaster.

i think ETH will really struggle to implement the system and style of play he wants. Which is very much similar to Pep.

atleast if we had a goal-keeper who can sweep and can build the play from the back then Maguire won't be so exposed from playing a high-line.

i expect to see a lot of mistakes from De Gea next season because he will be demanded by Ten Gag to play a certain way that's alien to him in terms of sweeping etc I have this image in my head of some pacey striker (Toney) beating United's high-line and De Gea rushing out his goal like a madman to get nowhere near the ball and Toney just taking the ball around him..

Last edited:

Anustart89

He absolutely bottled every final he was in.

He could do well enough with a happy team of decent ability players, but didn’t have the tactics, decision making or nerve to win a high-stakes knockout tournament.

Hence we lost to a swathe of worse teams when the pressure was high.
Not to mention that the squad's conditioning was so poor from a poor fitness regime and lack of trust in back-up players that come the end of every season under Ole the players were running on fumes.

Greck

Not to mention that the squad's conditioning was so poor from a poor fitness regime and lack of trust in back-up players that come the end of every season under Ole the players were running on fumes.
The bad luck in cup draws thing was always lazy. Saw some even started inflating the difficulty by including teams that should have been drastically lower in quality. Even if you crunched the probabilities and it somehow managed to be true that champions on average had it easier it would still be hard to overlook how we had a lot of self inflicted disappointments. We shouldn't even have been in that Europa league in the first place. It was bottling that got us there. Ole was crap around finer margins, it wasn't just bad juju. Sometimes it wasn't just the margins, remember beating PSG and RB only to get undone in the easiest group game when everyone went up for a corner and left no one back. That lack of organisation and game management that kept popping up guaranteed we would always get undone somewhere.

Last edited:

MrSingh2002

Don’t you realise we have a board full of people who aren’t as negative as you and you’re starting to drag them down. Same goes for the other overly negative people. Just give it a rest now and let the new teams do their job
So I should only post if it's about sunshine and rainbows right? And that's a cult, not a forum.

golden_blunder

Staff
So I should only post if it's about sunshine and rainbows right? And that's a cult, not a forum.
No off course not but in a time of change there should be natural excitement but every post you make is negative beating the same old drum. Would you not consider taking a breath and letting the team get on with their job now? Nothing is going to be fixed overnight. If you think we just splash cash and it magically jumps us into the challengers then you’re waking up with your head in a bowl of cornflakes. It’s going to take time and patience not short term fixes and moaning. We’ve tried that, it’s time for something different. And no it won’t be done in 1 year

steffyr2

My way or the highway.
Oh. Exactly what does this mean? Probably the parking lot attendants don't have much of an ego, but it's certain every one of the highly paid & internationally acclaimed Utd players do.

Flexdegea

All well demanding what you want and claiming it's because you keeping with the standards with winning but ultimately it means shite.

Not how real football is operated. As it stands we aren't close to winning the league with the squad wee got, and it looks like we not throwinf 300mil at it. We have went and got the right manager, but you be totally nutz to be expecting a title challenge or win after this summer based on what I've said.

Just because you demanding it doesn't mean it happen. Makes no difference that Fergie used to be high standards too. I've no doubt Hag got very high standards himself but you would literally need to completely land on every player you want in one swoop and the team to gel straight away to do what you seem to want.

Don't get the flat out moaning either

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
Seems like we've already started failing him with our share incompetence in our transfer dealings, he must be wondering what the actual feck he's doing here now.

Trex

Seems like we've already started failing him with our share incompetence in our transfer dealings, he must be wondering what the actual feck he's doing here now.
I don't know about that though, should we just pay anything for a player he points out?

Trex

We need Woody back and a return to the good old Disneyland days.
Woodward would have paid the fee by now....I don't mind if we walked away if we have an alternative playing in Portugal or somewhere else.

SeanyC

If I were ETH right now it would be suspicious and quite worried

Irwin99

Europa League will be very important to him next year I think. The chance of a trophy and a route into the champions league.

JeffFromHK

is Matt Judge still with us? He (along with his former classmate of Woodward) is definitely the single worst and most unprofessional senior employee of any professional clubs in England. He only got the job with nepotism

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
I'm sure Ten Hag is comfortable right now. Many players will be on holiday for the next 2-3 weeks so it's not as though we are losing any training or integration time with them.

We as supporters are obviously drawn to new signings, but we should also not want our club to on the wrong side of a transfer deal so if playing the long game on the likes of De Jong will allow us to get the best possible terms, which could in turn then positively affect what else we can do in this window, then I see no reason why we can't exercise a little patience.

kode

we were told (at least from the leaks) that we for once arent only working on one deal and that we are working on all fronts . but from what we see it seems like we are only working on De Jong and everything else is stopped. Does it mean we only have budget for him and the other targets will depend on sales? does it also mean that we dont even have enough for him in our budget? the whole thing seems so worrying. I used to think that the conditions ETH put before signing would include at least a good budget for him to start buying players to rebuid the squad... it seems like we dont have enough or we are playing with the other clubs until a PSG comes in with the price asked by Barca same way with Nunes , thiago , cesc etc.