Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 386 45.6%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 460 54.4%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Yagami

Good post resistant
At this point, he needs to integrate Garnacho and Iqbal into the team. Even Galbraith. We need players who can carry the ball and resist pressing opposition, and it doesn't look like we're going to solve this issue in the transfer market anytime soon.

It may be contribute to a rocky start due to them adjusting to senior football, but, in the long run, we'll be much better off with these types of players than 90% of our current first team.

croadyman

At this point, he needs to integrate Garnacho and Iqbal into the team. Even Galbraith. We need players who can carry the ball and resist pressing opposition, and it doesn't look like we're going to solve this issue in the transfer market anytime soon.

It may be contribute to a rocky start due to them adjusting to senior football, but, in the long run, we'll be much better off with these types of players than 90% of our current first team.
We don't sign minimum DLP, RB and ST before window closes then the protest need turning up

Blood Mage

Watching his post match conference. He sounds like he's been crying.

He's not going to make it
I do think he's a bit shell shocked by the quality of the league. That Brighton team would probably win the Eredivisie and yet they'll finish mid-table in the PL. The gulf is huge.

croadyman

I do think he's a bit shell shocked by the quality of the league. That Brighton team would probably win the Eredivisie and yet they'll finish mid-table in the PL. The gulf is huge.
Yeah still think you don't need a defensively minded DM now Erik, that was quite a culture shock wasn't it

Newtonius

I know, right? And right after Ajax fans told us it will take a minute to get the team playing his way.

Like, what did people think that would look like?

I can't say I'm happy about the Arnautovic link, though. The club should shut that down even if ETH wants it.
Well it would help if he didn't play McFred, Maguire and Shaw in the same team wouldn't it, its not like he didn't watch us last year.

Ajax are well run from top to bottom too with a brilliant academy that is synonymous with the way he plays. The last manager we had who was even close to ETH was over 6 years ago, you could count on one hand the players here who fit his style.

In other words this window needed to big, not only because of that fact but leaving players too. And ultimately we have enough evidence to know that ETH has had complete control from the start which is a bad sign, his targets are clearly very limited and our director of football isn't actually a director of football nor is their any of that Ajax scouting structure in place at the club.

Last edited:

croadyman

Well it would help if he didn't play McFred, Maguire and Shaw in the same team wouldn't it, its not like he didn't watch us last year.

Ajax are well run from top to bottom too with a brilliant academy that is synonymous with the way he plays. The last manager we had who was even close to ETH was over 6 years ago, you could count on one hand the players here who fit his style.

In other words this window needed to big, not only because of that fact but leaving players too. And ultimately we have enough evidence to know that ETH has had complete control from the start which is a bad sign, his targets are clearly very limited and our director of football isn't actually a director of football nor is their any of that Ajax scouting structure in placed at the club.
Window needed to be humongous

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Is he backed to revolutionise the team even if that means no top 4? That would be my biggest worry. Might keep playing the bigger names because "we are Man Utd and we have to win every game" shtick. Which was also the demand on Rangnick, when the ballsy move would have been to play some younger players. It will show no one is untouchable, a senior player cannot repeatedly perform terribly, and that we trust in the youth.

I'd honestly rather finish mid table and make wholesale changes than finish 3rd or 4th playing more or less the same team. Short-termism has wreaked havoc on this club.

BlueHaze

Watching his post match conference. He sounds like he's been crying.

He's not going to make it
If he keeps giving chances to the same losers from last season who totally embarrassed the club then no he definitely will not make it. The moment he decided to stick with Harry as a captain and labeled him a "very succesfull player" I knew somethings not right. He then proceeds to start many of the same rubbish players who let the entire club down last year in particular the two centre mids.

This is what I thought would never happen under him. Having managed Ajax for the past 3 years with the way they play I thought he would have a better eye for which players he can use here to best suit that vision and I was apalled by his starting XI.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama

In other words this window needed to big, not only because of that fact but leaving players too. And ultimately we have enough evidence to know that ETH has had complete control from the start which is a bad sign, his targets are clearly very limited and our director of football isn't actually a director of football nor is their any of that Ajax scouting structure in placed at the club.
It's quite likely he didn't watch us that much tbh. Besides opposition or player scouting, how frequently do managers actually watch other leagues' football matches?

marktan

Yeah still think you don't need a defensively minded DM now Erik, that was quite a culture shock wasn't it
He was in trouble the minute he decided a CB and a LB from Ereedivisise were to be our first money spent for 65m.

The team needs a DM, a fast and dynamic dribbling winger for the RW, and a technical CM, we got none of those. People can mention FDJ all they want but it's not going to be enough, we shouldnt have wasted half our budget on players we don't even need.

croadyman

He was in trouble the minute he decided a CB and a LB from Ereedivisise were to be our first money spent for 65m.

The team needs a DM, a fast and dynamic dribbling winger for the RW, and a technical CM, we got none of those. People can mention FDJ all they want but it's not going to be enough, we shouldnt have wasted half our budget on players we don't even need.
Who should we sign at DM and RW?

M15 Red.

I can mostly understand the team ETH picked today. And I can forgive the confusion shown by some of the players when in and out of possession. It will take a few months before we get a functioning 11.

vivaronaldo

should have taken the captaincy of maguire and transfer listed him and 9 others ...truth be told he thought he could get something out of this squad which is utter nonsense given the crap they dish up weekly

marcus agrippa

I'll tell you. I thought for once there was absolutely no way in hell this man who has managed Ajax for the past 3 seasons playing their style of football would opt for McFred in the middle. Just that fact has already tarnished my view of him. There's no chance in hell he could have analyzed our previous season and thought it would be a bright idea to keep sticking them two absolute ueseless passengers in the middle.
I judge managers on the decisions they make, and not on their mistakes provided they learn from them. It's why (apart from the fact that I didn't want him hired in the first place) I went off Solskjaer pretty quickly.

If he has anything about him, ETH will learn from this and adjust.

We underestimate ourselves. We may only be fans, but we are experts on United. We've been watching these players for literally over a hundred games for the past couple of seasons. We know, in detail, their weaknesses. Just listen to the average commentator or pundit talking about the club, and you'll realize this at once.

It's not an excuse for ETH and his staff, but it's something I've reluctantly come to accept. The trick is in how he and his staff cope. He spoke in the post-game about how we had better control of the midfield once Ericksen dropped deeper. That at least bodes well.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
He has coached in the CL to be fair and did hammer Real Madrid at the Bernabeu

But it does feel like he has overrated this squad. McTominay-Fred midfield again...how many years will it take..

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
I judge managers on the decisions they make, and not on their mistakes provided they learn from them. It's why (apart from the fact that I didn't want him hired in the first place) I went off Solskjaer pretty quickly.

If he has anything about him, ETH will learn from this and adjust.

We underestimate ourselves. We may only be fans, but we are experts on United. We've been watching these players for literally over a hundred games for the past couple of seasons. We know, in detail, their weaknesses. Just listen to the average commentator or pundit talking about the club, and you'll realize this at once.

It's not an excuse for ETH and his staff, but it's something I've reluctantly come to accept. The trick is in how he and his staff cope. He spoke in the post-game about how we had better control of the midfield once Ericksen dropped deeper. That at least bodes well.
EtH is paid millions for this job

He should be more aware about our problems than us fans. Playing McFred and having Erikson as a striker is basic stuff to improve...very worrying

Art

Art the artist
If during Ten Hag's job interview, he delivered a 'brutal assessment' of the squad which is said to have impressed Murtough, Fletcher and the lot, why has he persisted with the same shower of shite in the center of the park peddling this narrative in the press that they've been good enough thus far. Something doesn't add up for me. All the noises before the summer began was that this was going to be a huge summer for us and has ended up as one where we're getting rejected by Bologna FC for a 33 year old Marko Arnautovic.

marcus agrippa

EtH is paid millions for this job

He should be more aware about our problems than us fans. Playing McFred and having Erikson as a striker is basic stuff to improve...very worrying

Strongly disagree. What ought to happen, and what does happen are two different things. By all accounts, he was focused on bringing home the tile for Ajax. You think he watched us that much?

No, for me, he's allowed to make mistakes early on, so long as he minimizes them going forward. After the shite season we had last time, that is what I would expect.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
If during Ten Hag's job interview, he delivered a 'brutal assessment' of the squad which is said to have impressed Murtough, Fletcher and the lot, why has he persisted with the same shower of shite in the center of the park peddling this narrative in the press that they've been good enough thus far. Something doesn't add up for me. All the noises before the summer began was that this was going to be a huge summer for us and has ended up as one where we're getting rejected by Bologna FC for a 33 year old Marko Arnautovic.
Bologna are doing us a favor.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
Strongly disagree. What ought to happen, and what does happen are two different things. By all accounts, he was focused on bringing home the tile for Ajax. You think he watched us that much?

No, for me, he's allowed to make mistakes early on, so long as he minimizes them going forward. After the shite season we had last time, that is what I would expect.
I would think he would have watched replays of all our matches last season while preparing for this job?

Surely that is not too much to ask?

You would think he would want to know as much as possible before starting a job of this stature which can quickly end

Melvin Udall

Who should we sign at DM and RW?
Could’ve signed Tyler Adams at DM. He is 23 and was a part time starter at RB Leipzig. Just went to Leeds for about 16 million pounds.

He wouldn’t have gotten us the major trophies as a starter, but he would’ve been an immediate upgrade on either Fred or McTominay at the 6.

the one thing that concerns me about ETH’s approach is that he does not seem to understand the scale of the rebuild that is needed. We don’t need to worry about City or Liverpool now, we need to worry about Arsenal and Tottenham and Chelsea. He made a comment a few weeks ago about coaching up players if he can’t get his top targets, implying that the alternative to FDJ was in the squad already. Sign players like Adams to fill the biggest holes with an eye toward securing top 4. Get that, then we won’t have to worry so much about players like De Jong turning us down. If that moves the earlier signing like Adams to the bench, then so be it. If we get to that point where we are challenging on all fronts, we will need quality depth. Right now, we don’t even have an adequate starting XI.

Blood Mage

There was some stuff in the second half that looked promising. Everything going forward at first opportunity, some nice play. Hard to know what will happen next. United seem cursed.
Moving Eriksen deeper made a difference. When McFred are finally replaced with better midfielders we'll look like a different team.

the_cliff

I would think he would have watched replays of all our matches last season while preparing for this job?

Surely that is not too much to ask?

You would think he would want to know as much as possible before starting a job of this stature which can quickly end
I think he did.

A lot of people are saying drop Mcfred. But who do we start ? DVB ? 2 18 year olds ?

This squad needed investment, everyone and their mother knew it, again a manager has been let down by our board. We seem fixated on FDJ yet any starting midfielder in any of the top half prem teams is an upgrade. We needed at least a new starting RB, a starting CB, 2 new starting midfielders, a starting LW and a striker. So far we've added a LB prospect, a CB and an attacking midfielder on a free...

The ineptitude from the board is immense.

tinfish

Supports
Arsenal
Honestly, the only guy I saw who had potential to steady the ship was Carrick when he took over a few games. Shame he left so quickly.

MrSingh2002

Ten Hag thought he was miles better than Rangnick and didn't need his input or advice. Maybe he was steered to have that opinion by the powers that be at the club. But Rangnick was right then and he remains right. This squad is poor.

Eriksen, Malacia and Martinez are better than McTominay, Shaw and Maguire. Ten Hag needs to start the 3 new signings and drop Maguire, Shaw and McTominay to stand a chance.

He then needs 3 new signings to replace Fred, Dalot and Martial.

It's that simple.

RB Varane Martinez Malacia
Eriksen CDM
Sancho Fernandes Rashford
ST

That's the best we can hope for this seasons starting 11. 3 weeks of the window left to make it happen.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Thank Christ for that, at least

MDFC Manager

I know, right? And right after Ajax fans told us it will take a minute to get the team playing his way.

Like, what did people think that would look like?

I can't say I'm happy about the Arnautovic link, though. The club should shut that down even if ETH wants it.
I think Ajax fans said that it's going to take a fair while to get things going, along with several strange decisions which won't make sense initially. But once it gets going, it's supposed to be beautiful.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
One of the biggest problems in his assessment is that the players lack confidence or have very fragile confidence. So he isn't going to slag them off in public. He needs to build their confidence back up.

city-puma

Ten Hag thought he was miles better than Rangnick and didn't need his input or advice. Maybe he was steered to have that opinion by the powers that be at the club. But Rangnick was right then and he remains right. This squad is poor.

Eriksen, Malacia and Martinez are better than McTominay, Shaw and Maguire. Ten Hag needs to start the 3 new signings and drop Maguire, Shaw and McTominay to stand a chance.

It's that simple.

Eriksen CDM
ST

That's the best we can hope for this seasons starting 11. 3 weeks of the window left to make it happen.
You really believe the football is as simple as putting the names on paper? :lol::lol:

croadyman

There was some stuff in the second half that looked promising. Everything going forward at first opportunity, some nice play. Hard to know what will happen next. United seem cursed.
Nothing is promising when Mcfred are involved

croadyman

It's that simple.

Eriksen CDM
ST

So De Jong, Sesko and ?

NoPace

He must have truly destroyed Wan-Bissaka and Telles in that interview, possibly Pogba too.

AshRK

His first mistake and a big one was to give most of these players clean slate. He should have been more ruthless. Backing or not, you don't start Mctominay. Hopefully going forward he shows more trust to the likes of Garner.

One should not just act as if last season didn't happen.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
His first mistake and a big one was to give most of these players clean slate. He should have been more ruthless. Backing or not, you don't start Mctominay. Hopefully going forward he shows more trust to the likes of Garner.

But they finished 2nd a year before? Isn't what this manager thought?

sglowrider

Garner isn't match fit.

sglowrider

One game and some of you have turned against the manager already!! I had projected rumblings by December but this is record territory.

I suspect those who have turned had expected ETH to get this team into the Top 4, minimum too?

jamesjimmybyrondean

I would like to see him play Zidane as he's really the only player that can play that De Jong role. The Fred experiment will not work, we've seen it countless times.