Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 530 52.8%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 473 47.2%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

David Bartley

Yeah, you can see that certain moves are being worked on in training and it's leading us to dangerous positions around the box. We just need a bit more composure but that'll come in games once the first goal goes in.

They all need shooting as Brian Clough would say.
They all need "bloody" shooting as Brian Clough would say.

lsd

The Oracle
He is going to get criticised for his tactics today and will just have to take it.

Disappointing unfortunately and was just too negative but Casemiro bailed him and us out.

Learning curve for him

el3mel

He is going to get criticised for his tactics today and will just have to take it.

Disappointing unfortunately and was just too negative but Casemiro bailed him and us out.

Learning curve for him
I didn't have a problem with how we played today. Draw was always a fair result.

Obviously the Scott sub backfired massively but he'll learn to never depend on him again, hopefully.

Games at the Bridge are always a chore.

Mike Smalling

Clearly a great, great coach. The squad will hold us back this year, and we need to remember that. He is the way forward and needs backing in the next windows as well.

cyberman

Hard to have a go at him when every single call went Chelsea’s way. When you come away from SB with your keeper hardly having a save to make you have to be happy with it

acnumber9

He overthought it. Moving Bruno wide weakened us. He’s got the team playing much better though so hard to criticise.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Squad is clearly holding him back.

Rashford is not a striker.

Sancho, Eriksen, Fred were just shocking at times.

Dalot was making so many mistakes in the first 10 mins, the standard needs to be much better.

That will take a few more windows.

mu4c_20le

I thought we were mostly in control before the injury killed our momentum. Very unlucky to give away a pen, they ever looked like scoring.

AshRK

People calling him negative don't watch the game properly. He had zero option. Rashford was done by 60 mins. He had little choice but to bring Elanga. Same with eriksen. He was looking done by 70th minute. So Mctominay made sense.

We dominated them first half and should have scored if not 2 atleast 1.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
10/15 points against the top 6 in his first 11 games without a recognised striker is very very good going.

That being said, I still think his subs are a bit iffy; he looks extremely reluctant to chuck in one the kids, and I really don’t like Fernandes AND Eriksen in a big game together.

The United

We are getting there.

I just hope that we find the balance of being extremely patient and not being direct enough to be lethal. For me, we have an issue with not getting early goals for ages and we need to be a bit more direct in the first few mins especially when we are on the front foot.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Squad is clearly holding him back.

Rashford is not a striker.

Sancho, Eriksen, Fred were just shocking at times.

Dalot was making so many mistakes in the first 10 mins, the standard needs to be much better.

That will take a few more windows.
Signs are very promising. We show in bursts what he can deliver for this club. Martial being out is so fecking infuriating for me. It would fast forward so much of what he’s trying to do here

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
We are close. The tactics were perfectly fine and we were able to go through their midfield with ease when we had the ball. Funnily enough today, we needed a little bit more aggression from Bruno and especially Sancho during the first half, their passing in the last third was a bit too conservative. The short corners consistently displaced their defense but the players didn't go for the low on target crosses that I'm pretty sure were instructed.

In my opinion we are very close, an actual striker, the same Bruno that we have seen during the last two games, Rashford on the left and we are in business.

Last edited:

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Back him in the winter, some players need upgrades still.

Definitely need a striker and still need strengthening in key areas.

SmallCaine

People calling him negative don't watch the game properly. He had zero option. Rashford was done by 60 mins. He had little choice but to bring Elanga. Same with eriksen. He was looking done by 70th minute. So Mctominay made sense.

We dominated them first half and should have scored if not 2 atleast 1.
We have a big problem scoring goals and creating anything from lw when Sancho plays there, yet neither pellistri nor garnacho have seen any minutes, he needs be braver and take a chance on the youngsters.

Nico87

He’s doing a really good job. His signings have been largely fantastic and we are playing much better, my only criticism would be his use of substitutions but that can be partly due to lack of attacking depth.

el3mel

If anything I think Chelsea were more disappointing. Didn't seem interested in winning the game in 2nd half despite playing on their turf and probably needing the points more than us, and only got upfront due to a stupid mistake, then couldn't even defend it.

OrcaFat

We are close. The tactics were perfectly fine and we were able to go through there midfield with ease when we had the ball. Funnily enough today, we needed a little bit more aggression from Bruno and especially Sancho during the first half, their passing in the last third was a bit too conservative. The short corners consistently displaced their defense but the players didn't go for the low on target crosses that I'm pretty sure were instructed.

In my opinion we are very close, an actual striker, the same Bruno that we have seen during the last two games, Rashford on the left and we are in business.
Yeah. A little more squad depth is needed as well but mustn’t grumble.

BlueHaze

He seriously needs to start giving Garnacho chances. Elanga is absolute rubbish.

NK86

We have a big problem scoring goals and creating anything from lw when Sancho plays there, yet neither pellistri nor garnacho have seen any minutes, he needs be braver and take a chance on the youngsters.
Take a chance on youngsters with our current schedule? Made no sense. We need more depth but we are seeing massive improvements with the way we play and how we approach our games.

RORY65

The 2nd half was very scrappy and the subsistutions showed how little quality we had on our bench but the 1st half an hour and some of the passages we put together shows what he wants us to do and how promising it can be if the squad is improved. The key is the club putting things in place to identify players who will fit in (a striker, another passing midfielder and a goalkeeper are 3 obvious needs) and building a squad in the next few windows that can execute what Ten Hag wants more consistently. The Spurs game and the first half today are really encouraging at such an early stage though.

OrcaFat

If anything I think Chelsea were more disappointing. Didn't seem interested in winning the game in 2nd half despite playing on their turf and probably needing the points more than us, and only got upfront due to a stupid mistake, then couldn't even defend it.
I think a lot of teams can be made to look disappointing, by us, if we keep improving.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff

Disappointing to give the penalty away but overall a decent result. Still below Chelsea in the table but a more favourable schedule coming up provided we can get the wins against the lower sides.

spiriticon

Wait, I thought we had a better game than Chelsea…

What am I missing?
I thought Chelsea were slightly better second half. The draw was fair result, but looking at the first 30 min it did feel that we could have won it.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
The subs hindered us, but I'll continue to give him the benefit of the doubt.

The fact we ended the game with McTominay up front, supported by Fred and Elanga shows where our problem is.

I'm really hoping he can work with the younger players during the World Cup and start giving them chances.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
The subs hindered us, but I'll continue to give him the benefit of the doubt.

The fact we ended the game with McTominay up front, supported by Fred and Elanga shows where our problem is.

I'm really hoping he can work with the younger players during the World Cup and start giving them chances.
That's generous of you. :lol:

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
He overthought it. Moving Bruno wide weakened us. He’s got the team playing much better though so hard to criticise.
He brought on Fred and took Bruno wide because we stopped winning the second balls. It worked because in the last 30 minutes, we started winning them again.

city-puma

Learning curve for him
What are you talking about? We did great. We just don’t have squad depth to make the most out of the game.

acnumber9

He brought on Fred and took Bruno wide because we stopped winning the second balls. It worked because in the last 30 minutes, we started winning them again.
Don’t agree with that. We took Bruno out of a position he is effective in and shoehorned into one that he wasn’t. He’s not a wide player and will never be one.

PepG

Supports
Ajax
I understand the disappointment among the United fans for the result but i think the overall performance of your team was very good and United upped a level in the last few games wich is a very positive sign.

Vapor trail

Brilliant approach to the game. Chelsea were nullified tactically. Poor substitutions if anything but understandable given the lack of options. Maintaining possession is what goes against this Chelsea team, they don't really counter from what I've seen so Mctomminay and Fred did not offer anything in this regard to controlling the tempo. My only criticism is the subs but that's a technicality fundamentally everything else was correct.