Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
What an absolute disappointment this season is proving to be. Its like the club is Arnold Rimmer in better than life. It cannot accept anything nice happening to it and must self sabotage at the first opportunity.

Many more years of sorrow seem inevitable. I still like this manager though.

Ronaldo's Love Child

Today was a tipping point for me.

The narrative has been injected into the press of an injury crisis but today we had

Onana-First Choice
Varane-First Choice
Dalot-50/50 First choice with AWB
Casemiro-First Choice
Mount-First Choice
Bruno-First Choice
Rashford-First Choice
Hojlund-First Choice

That's nailed on 1st choice starters.

The team simply isn't performing. If ETH says once more that players are not following instructions then those players need to be dropped.

I don't think he should be sacked as there is no succession plan this season but this is down to coaching (which includes picking out of form players)

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
But people on here will tell you it’s not possible without spending another £500m and it’s all the Glazers fault we can’t beat Palace.
We were flying under our new manager after two months too. Or have people forgotten where we were after 8 games last season.

always_hoping

Into a 11th season of this shit show since Ferguson retired. I knew he'd be hard to replace but not this much, the club are a total mess off the field probably the worst run big club in the world it would be a hard task for the likes of Klopp,Pep to turn this ship around never mind Ten Hag. I'm just thankful I lived through all the successful years under Ferguson and simply have to take the current state of the club on the chin now knowing full well nothing will be changing until the Glazers and their buddies are long gone and replaced by ambitious owners with a strong focus to make United a serious club again and much easier team to manage.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Needed a win today to be ‘only’ 4 points behind top 4.

Instead we shit the bed and our joint worst start to a PL season.
Would have only papered over the cracks. We're lucky to have 9 points as it is. Top 4 is a pipe dream.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Said it mid week, fielding a very strong side against their B team and winning easily wasn’t really indicative of anything. We are absolutely abysmal right now.

Loon

:lol:
I'd love to know if we actually have a recruitment set-up running and if Ten Hag is vetoing their recommendations, if they're actually making any...

crossy1686

career ending
I'd love to know if we actually have a recruitment set-up running and if Ten Hag is vetoing their recommendations, if they're actually making any...
Yes, this is happening under every manager. Mitten confirms it regularly on the athletic podcast. The scouting department wanted that striker who just signed for PSG, Ten Hag wanted Hojlund, you know which one we got.

The Hilton

The argument for keeping a manager in his job should be "he's doing well, tactics are good, there's a style of play being implemented, we're improving so no reason to sack him yet, we're getting there", not "He's shit but I can't think of a replacement so let's keep him till we go rock bottom".

So what, sack him and hire a caretaker to save the season while we start searching for a replacement. When we sacked Mourinho and Ole there was no clear name available on the market before taking the decision. We hired a caretaker and stated planning, better than keeping a shit coach ruining the team and we sit there and tell ourselves "It's fine, Guardiola and Klopp aren't available so let's keep him".

Terrible argument.

I prefer hiring Carrick as a caretaker than letting Ten Hag ruin the season. Here I said it. If the situation doesn't improve comes November, I'll be all for this.
Terrible argument is correct, given that your argument is no more than "sack him and get anyone in".

I've given you multiple opportunities to name a manager who you think would do a better job, and why you think that. You've avoided it every time.

The only way you can justify an opinion that someone needs to be sacked for not doing a good enough job, is if you have a reasonable belief that someone else could do a better job. So either you're having a childish reaction to a poor run of results, or you have a replacement in mind and a reasoning for why it would be better.

Loon

:lol:
Yes, this is happening under every manager. Mitten confirms it regularly on the athletic podcast. The scouting department wanted that striker who just signed for PSG, Ten Hag wanted Hojlund, you know which one we got.
If the signings don't work out in the long run, then he must practice some humility and trust his recruitment team.

Leftback99

Said it mid week, fielding a very strong side against their B team and winning easily wasn’t really indicative of anything. We are absolutely abysmal right now.
Yeah it was obvious Palace barely tried on Tuesday.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Yeah it was obvious Palace barely tried on Tuesday.
We will probably win again or go very far in League Cup because virtually no club cares about it anymore, and our fans will proclaim him a hero again because he won a trophy.

Piskin

Today I am really questioning Ten Hags ability as a manager, his signings, team selection and ability on the line is seriously suspect. Wait until the City & Liverpool games!!

lsd

The Oracle
Top 4 looks gone already , it is not the points but the fact that there are easily 4 teams and more much better than us.

It is hard to argue that progress is been made , the only thing consistent about us is that we keep spending large sums of money on the squad and we keep underachieving.

I think ETH needs more time , but these displays and results can't continue without repercussions, we need to see some kind of progression.

If top four is gone then giving him more time is pointless.

We are playing truly awful football and there's no sign of that changing.

I'm feeling the same way about our matches now then i did with Van Gaal.

I know no matter what the result we will play terrible football

el3mel

I've given you multiple opportunities to name a manager who you think would do a better job, and why you think that. You've avoided it every time.
I have already replied on your argument. Get a caretaker for the rest of the season while we search for a replacement.

You're making it look like he has done miracles that no other manager can outwork. He got top 4 and won a League Cup. Ole - whose only experience in PL before United was relegating Cardiff, and who is widely considered to be a failure at United - got us 3rd and 2nd two seasons in a row plus reaching a Europe League final. That's Ole, for God's sake.

Any manager would do a similar job to what Ten Hag has done at United if not better. Literally anyone, because he hasn't achieved anything at all and done feck all more than the previous United managers who were all considered a failure here. They all got top 4 and won domestic cups.

What did Ten Hag achieve exactly that any next manager, even if it's Michael Carrick, will struggle to replicate ?

The only way you can justify an opinion that someone needs to be sacked for not doing a good enough job, is if you have a reasonable belief that someone else could do a better job. So either you're having a childish reaction to a poor run of results, or you have a replacement in mind and a reasoning for why it would be better.
The reason for sacking a manager or keeping him is based on how good a job he's doing. He does a good job he stays, he sucks he's sacked. Replacement comes next, because if the manager sucks at his job, the next manager won't actually have a hard time doing a better job as the standards are already rock bottom.

So either you're having a childish reaction to a poor run of results, or you have a replacement in mind and a reasoning for why it would be better.
Poor run ? United has been shit ever since March. Last time we were any good was when we defeated Barcelona. We won that glorious cup next and after that it has been a shit show non stop from then till now.

The only childish thing is convincing yourself this is just a slump and we're going to turn it around, when this is how we have been performing for months and prior to this season start.

This was supposed to be our piss easy run of games to salvage the bad start of the season and we already fecked up a game at home against a bottom half team.

You're just narrow sighted and deluded, that's all.

Last edited:

lsd

The Oracle
We will probably win again or go very far in League Cup because virtually no club cares about it anymore, and our fans will proclaim him a hero again because he won a trophy.
I'd be shocked we get past Newcastle and they will certainly care about that game a lot.

Roboc7

He won’t be here, we’ll be the ones that have to face the consequences of his shit recruitment
He won’t but incompetent failures like Murtough and Arnold who allow all this to happen will be so history will repeat itself.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Liverpool have looked more dangerous with 10 men than we have with XI all season. Joke.

Abhinav

Needs to drop non performing players and select on merit. Garnacho, Hannibal should be starting matches. Bruno & Rashford need to earn their place.
Biggest issue for me is that we have no guile in midfield. We are not able to break lines and get into dangerous areas in behind the opposition midfield. We rely on big switches, balls over the top, turnovers or second ball wins to create chances. We need someone in the middle who can take players out by either dribbling or through clever passes.
Today, Bruno should have dropped a bit deeper and try to playmake from there.
Ten hag has a big job on his hand and I am genuinely worried with how we are playing.

Zed is not dead

We can blame Ten Hag all we want, but what is he supposed to do when the players concede a goal the first time the opponents shoot on target and then the same players fail to score every single opportunity they get?

Statistics don’t tell the whole story, but same as last year we’re severely underperforming our xG, and this year we’re also conceding more than we should.

All the underlying stats point to a structural foot all that should be working. But for a combination of factors, it doesn’t :
- lack of finishing across the team
- injuries
- being unable to get a clean sheet
- lack of confidence
- lots of decisions going against us and killing our momentum.

Getting them to play with confidence will be the hardest part

flappyjay

Weirdly enough, Ole was the funniest manager w had since Fergie. We played our best attacking football under him since Fergie. That’s telling !
We were definitely world class at counter attacking. Rashford, martial, Greenwood and Bruno could be devastating and later on with cavani for Martial. Now we are not that strong at it either.

lsd

The Oracle
We'll play our first XI in that, Newcastle who are well in the top 4 race won't.

Did you listen to Eddie Howe after the city game? They are determined to win that cup this year.

Plus it wouldn't really matter if they didn't and rested all their main players. I'd still be shocked to get past them

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Have a feeling he’s gonna walk pretty soon
Why does this fecking forum have a raging hard on for cutting our nose off to spite our face?!?

When in the history has football has this ever happened?!? EVER!

No manager worth their salt would walk when the going gets tough, just makes you look weak.

God this forum is tiresome. Chomping at the bit, frothing at the mouth to get EtH in and then the very second the going gets tough, you all want him to go and feck it all off. And for what? Just so we start from the bottom again?

We are all going to forget about the plethora of injuries we got too?

lsd

The Oracle
If we had spent on Kane what we have spent for Mount, Holjund and Onana, we'd have a better team today. It is not like these three have solved any of our problems, not even close.

Not really we would just have Kane looking at Rashford and Bruno trying to do everything themselves and wondering why nobody passes to him

Leftback99

Did you listen to Eddie Howe after the city game? They are determined to win that cup this year.

Plus it wouldn't really matter if they didn't and rested all their main players. I'd still be shocked to get past them
Well they played a complete second string against City.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Ten Hag wanted Kane. Let's not just massage the facts to suit agendas.

Leftback99

Interesting. Preferred Kolo Muani myself.

AneRu

If he can't stop the bleeding then he will gone by December, simple as. I can't help that he hasn't helped himself to be honest firstly by wasting huge money on unneeded players and subsequently not dropping underperforming stars. We also don't have any patterns of play, it's almost Mourinhosque where we are playing more in hope than according to a set out plan.

His errors:
1. It was needless to bin off De Gea and replace him with a better ball player but a worse keeper on all other metrics. Can't fault Onana on the goal but it's always disappointing when you are always conceding to the very first shot on target. The money spent on him was needed elsewhere too.

2. Going into the summer we knew we needed an assured goalscorer, a midfield playmaker, a CB capable of challenging for a starting spot and a back up DM. How we ended up spending a fortune on Mount, Onana and Hoijlund whom haven't really improved the side at all is mind boggling. We didn't stick to the plan.

3. Extreme loyalty to out of sorts players who also don't look like they fit the system. Rashford and Bruno are amongst the best counter attacking players in the game. It looks almost impossible to teach them any other way. We don't rotate the ball in and around the box, we don't keep the ball well in midfield and in two years he hasn't been able to spread the goals around.

3. The inverted fullbacks b.s is hurting us too because we don't keep the ball well and when we easily lose the ball in midfield it's very easy for the opposition to attack our left side because the LB isn't in position. Brighton targeted that side and Palace got joy there too. Its not working.

4. Then there is this Bruno-Casemiro-Bruno-Mount midfield monrosity. If anything is there to prove he is way out of his depth then this is it. There is no press resistant controller in there and the two (Bruno and Case) are turnover merchants. He shouldnt worry about reputations or the odd goal or assist he has to break it the feck up, that's not a PL standard midfield and it shows lack of deep though in the planning and thought processes that led to this decision. We actually had to spend 130m to bring it into fruition so it's not something he found when he came in, he actually planned and spent eye-watering sums to build it. That's a huge indictment.