Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 538 53.1%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 475 46.9%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Judas

Open to offers
Who in their right mind is going to come in knowing the person that appointed them will likely be sacked in weeks/months and the new crew may not want them? Nobody in a current job that’s for sure.
I mean obviously but you’re not using Man Utd logic, the current regime will sack Ten Hag, as daft as it is.

hobbers

So Guardian and Times both briefed that he's on very thin ice.

Looks like the club is already expecting defeats before the next international break.

How is Amourims english?

Laurencio

Judging by the reports, we still have no idea how we want to play, what sort of players we want or what type of character we need in a manager. Feels like we're just looking for "our Arteta"

Great, this will end well...

1DeGea1

Agreed, we should be looking to get whatever system of sporting director sorted first, get the long-term vision for the footballing side of the club, and then look for a manager who can implement the style we are looking to create.

Until then, we should just stick with what we have.

Acquire Me

So Guardian and Times both briefed that he's on very thin ice.

Looks like the club is already expecting defeats before the next international break.

How is Amourims english?
This is not a brief. It’s media getting clicks from angry idiots.

saivet

Totally agree. Though I think Murtough Arnold and co are already done. They are just about seeing out this season.
I think they are done but the narrative is just frustrating. Even the way in which they have tried to big up their new structure. Listening to one of The Athletic's podcast and it reminded me of Arnold's quote in the summer that we are closing the gap on City. The level of delusion/incompetence at the board level is even more frustrating than ever. I don't know if ETH would succeed if the football depart is ripped apart and rebuilt in a similar way to what happened at Arsenal but it all just feels like a big waste. Even if we don't sack ETH, the damage that's been done to his own reputation with the fans and players might not be able to be fixed for him.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri

#mufc have insisted every permanent signing was on their scouting radar separately from Ten Hag’s desire to recruit them. [@MelissaReddy_]

Turns out the signings weren’t all his decision after all?
That's quite interesting. I suspect Casemiro is mainly a club signing. I doubt Malacia is anything other than 100% a manager signing. Eriksen maybe both. Antony was linked earlier, but the price for him is on the club for sure. Martinez was maybe looked at but the club were chasing Jurrien Timber weren't they. Now this season it wouldn't surprise me that Mount is both a club and manager signing, but it's on the manager as he knows he's got a very limited budget. I do think he´s a good player, but he might only really work if Bruno is sold. Onana is obviously a manager signing and the club would likely have gone for Costa over Onana were it not for Erik. I quite like Onana. I expect him to become a great player for us if he gets a settled and competent team in front of him (big if). And Hojlund looks a good player too with plenty of development left to become better.

The loan players are stop-gaps.

hobbers

This is not a brief. It’s media getting clicks from angry idiots.
So when Matt Lawton writes " A senior source at United said that two heavy defeats at Old Trafford this week — by Manchester City in the league and Newcastle United in the Carabao Cup — had left him at risk of being sacked. "

That's not a brief is it?

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
If he does go then I'll be really interested to find out what went wrong behind the scenes, and why everything just suddenly turned the wrong way.

I'm expecting something interesting though, none of this "the confidence in his methods started to wane amongst the first team players" or "the players couldn't understand why he was a dick to them". I'm wanting "he brought a cat into the dressing room and started kicking it" or "he puts his milk in his tea before taking the bag out" levels of depravity.

Acquire Me

So when Matt Lawton writes " A senior source at United said that two heavy defeats at Old Trafford this week — by Manchester City in the league and Newcastle United in the Carabao Cup — had left him at risk of being sacked. "

That's not a brief is it?
They write whatever they want. It’s about clicks first and foremost.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
So it begins then. He’s on borrowed time.

Can we not just play to our strengths and embrace being a counter attacking side? It’s clear that possession based football isn’t for us, and yet we overhaul the club every few years trying to do so.

hobbers

They write whatever they want. It’s about clicks first and foremost.
If it was just about getting angry clicks he'd write an article with the headline 'ETH retains the trust of the Glazers amid board room chaos'. That'd really get fans frothing.

It's clear that Ineos want to replace the entire football department and ETH has now earned his way onto their sack list.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Could you imagine Zinedine Zidane taking a training session here? :lol:

One of the greatest technicians the game has ever seen watching our lot flub 5-yard passes and failing to trap balls gently laid off to them.

I'd pay money to watch that unfold.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Why not. Did a decent job with the under 18d. Players like him, he's been called a meticulous planner and knows how to train teams. He also worked under Jose and Ole so a lot of the squad will still know him.

It's not like we have a lot of options if we do get rid of Ten Hag.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Zidane is never coming here. The guy has only recently said he's got a limited number of clubs he can go to or he'll ruin his record.

We are definitely in the 'don't be stupid' category as far as Zidane coming here.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Could you imagine Zinedine Zidane taking a training session here? :lol:

One of the greatest technicians the game has ever seen watching our lot flub 5-yard passes and failing to trap balls gently laid off to them.

I'd pay money to watch that unfold.
"Non, non, non! Le floopee floopee floo zee bol jambon a la carte!"

U wot mate?

"Espanol? Theh theh paella gazpacho Garnacho galactico Barca levero numero uno!"

Don't speak foreign, mate.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Zidane is never coming here. The guy has only recently said he's got a limited number of clubs he can go to or he'll ruin his record.

We are definitely in the 'don't be stupid' category as far as Zidane coming here.
I also don’t buy that he’s a great coach. He’s managed at Real Madrid and nowhere else. I’m not saying it’s easy to win there, but it’s one thing keeping those plates spinning, and another overhauling this shitshow with no experience of the task at hand.

Rojofiam

For what it's worth, I don't think Zidane is as good as his CV suggests and I don't see him winning the Premier League against Pep, Klopp or Arteta as it stands. He also isn't much of a rebuilder who will take United back to the top on his own.

How is his English, anyways?

As for Amorim, I think a gigantic club like United is way too early for him, but he should be one of the candidates if we're looking for a new manager in 5+ years time...

evil_geko

I also don’t buy that he’s a great coach. He’s managed at Real Madrid and nowhere else. I’m not saying it’s easy to win there, but it’s one thing keeping those plates spinning, and another overhauling this shitshow with no experience of the task at hand.
I agree, I don't rate Zidane as a coach, at least not until I see him somewhere else. I never understood people wanting him here so much.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I dont know what the truth is, but if it was the case that the club actually was heavily involved in identifying players (who knows, maybe the club made the decision to get players ETH had worked with), it makes an awful lot of people attacking ETH for the signings look quite thick.
Yeah it’s interesting, same with the people saying he’s been hung out to dry and there’s no planning/structure from those above him. It could mean he’s been able to focus on coaching but hasn’t done well enough.

Licha-Vidic

Last Man Standing 2 finalist 2023/24
Seems the club is looking for a new person, in some ways

Rojofiam

Also, I hope it isn't Ineos drawing up the shortlist with Amorim and Zidane, if there's any truth to that Times article.

Literally 2 completely different types to choose from again, seemingly lacking any vision for the future.