Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 632 44.8%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 779 55.2%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Danny

Yeah, was thinking for the same. Has anyone ever gone out of the CL having scored more goals than us?

I'd stick with ET but he makes loads of weird choices. Bringing off Garnacho... jesus wept.
Yeah bit of a strange one that as I think if the Pellestri chances fell his way we'd have had a better outcome.

Pellestri is very raw but can see he has talent.

emperortan

The team looked rattled when Gala scored their first up until half time. You would hope that once we got the two goal cushion again he wouldn't invite the same pressure. But, nope, keep the midfield wide open and keep trying to play whatever style of football we're supposed to be playing. It's getting annoying.
McTom scored a goal today, but his performance was still as lackluster as usual. He struggled to distribute the ball, lacked positional awareness, and was nearly invisible in defense, rendering Manchester United's midfield almost ineffective. Poor Mainoo.
It's evident that the goal-scoring has deceived everyone. Continuously deploying McTom in the midfield position will keep Manchester United in a perpetual state of disarray like this. He lacks the mindset of a midfielder. Why not try retraining him as a forward?

MrWilliams

Yes. At 3-1 he should be getting a message to the players to just calm things down, take the sting out of the game.. all those cliches.
This here. ETH teams have an issue of shutting up shop and closing things down.

Jezpeza

I can see Ratcliffe moving him on sooner rather than later. Yes it was an exciting end to end match, but thats because of 2 mediocre teams. If we had have played Bayern tonight we would have got battered with the open space we had in the team.
TH doesnt seem to be able to change anything.
incumbent managers never survive a takeover unless they have been extremely successful. He's already gone, just some dont want to admit it yet

Sweet Square

Keeper mistakes are to blame tonight but he has still yet to get a impressive win away from home.

Newcastle and Pool games will be massive.

spiriticon

How hard can it be to fix the defence?! How is it possible that three months into the season we are still so unorganised?

We've got pretty much everyone bar Martinez back now.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
I like Ten Hag, I can see the idea but, frankly, we're not good enough to pull it off. I don't blame him entirely. This squad is mentally shattered. They'd break under the weight of a feather. However, if you know that, you have to protect them. Not expect them to dominate games in midfield, especially when you only have one proper centre midfielder of note. I don't think we will gain much from simply changing the coach. However, I don't really know where the ceiling is Ten Hag at United. The talk of eras coming to an end seems a long time in the past.

frostbite

If he got to do his United stint all over again, does he sign any of the players he's signed?
The shocking thing about ETH is that he can't even understand if his players are any good! How is this possible? How can a manager work every day with a player and after a couple of years have no idea if the player is any good? It is shocking, isn't it?

The club offered a contract to De Gea, he signed it, and ETH vetoed the whole thing, embarrassing the club. A manager can be such an asshole when he is certain he will get an upgrade. But is Onana an upgrade? ETH knew Onana, he worked with him for a long time. Obviously, ETH really believed that Onana is much better than De Gea. It is unbelievable! Can anyone explain this to me?

Same thing with Antony. The club told him he not not worth it. ETH insisted. The club made a generous offer, Ajax rejected it. ETH kept asking for his boy Antony! He really believed that Antony is a great player, worth 100 million or whatever. And he worked for a long time with him in the past! How is this possible?

He can't even assess his own players! We watch these players only for a couple of hours every week, ETH works with them every day. And he still has no clue!

edgecutter

I like Ten Hag, I can see the idea but, frankly, we're not good enough to pull it off. I don't blame him entirely. This squad is mentally shattered. They'd break under the weight of a feather. However, if you know that, you have to protect them. Not expect them to dominate games in midfield, especially when you only have one proper centre midfielder of note. I don't think we will gain much from simply changing the coach. However, I don't really know where the ceiling is Ten Hag at United. The talk of eras coming to an end seems a long time in the past.
It's his squad. He's been given funds and wasted it. 200 million and we can't even beat a Turkish team.

erikcred

Keeper mistakes are to blame tonight but he has still yet to get a impressive win away from home.

Newcastle and Pool games will be massive.

For them, sure. They're challenging for top-4 and title and need to build up some momentum.

baskinginthesun

The team looked rattled when Gala scored their first up until half time. You would hope that once we got the two goal cushion again he wouldn't invite the same pressure. But, nope, keep the midfield wide open and keep trying to play whatever style of football we're supposed to be playing. It's getting annoying.
Yep. Sit back in a 4-5-1 for 10 or 15 minutes. Protect the lead and frustrate the other team and then you can open it back up again. But, constantly rampaging forward and spreading the midfield about is a terrible tactic.

ArmaDino

Next game ETH is going to be found out for the fraud he is, losing a 2 nil lead when you have Raphael Varane on the bench, he should have played 352 at 1-3 he’s far too stubborn, far too inflexible and he’s been at united for far too long. Dire Football, terrible signings and neutral or negative goal difference.

Literally had enough of this clown. His arrogance is unbelievable, whats he actually done in the game?

A few Dutch leagues and a Carabao cup. He just needs to be sacked and the club move on. This is not knee jerk ETH will never win the PL or CL even if he takes over Real Madrid or Barcelona!
wot? Both Lindelof and Varane had a very good night.

2 out of our 3 goals have been scored via freekicks and GK blunders. The third one is because our inexperienced 18 year old CM didn't close down his man properly.

The problem comes from the middle and the fact that we have so many players who are poor on the ball. Bruno, Scott, etc It's also exacerbated by the fact that he forms our pressing in shape of the donut, so no formation is going to fix that unless we revert to an Ole/Mourinho counter attacking set up.

Roboc7

I hoped he bring a clear philosophy and style of play, instead it’s same very basic setup and may as well be Moyes or Ole in the dugout. The transfers haven been woeful which him and DOF have to take the blame for.

Still can’t see any foundation for him being here next season, the way he sets up our midfield is just odd anyone decent does and will continue to have a field day.

Zed is not dead

Bayern had a way worse game away at Gala, with Gala creating a lot of chances and having a lot of opportunities.
Bayern won 3-1 and we drew 3-3 despite facing less shots than Bayern did and Gala creating less than against Bayern.
The main difference is they don’t have a keeper gifting goals constantly and killing any kind of momentum and confidence that the team Is trying to build.

Yakuza_devils

Gala is the better team and dominated our midfield. Even when we were leading with two goals they kept coming at us and played better than us.

We resorted to counter attacking football because we can't hold/pass the ball under pressure.

If we want to play like a big club we need better manager. Big club don't play without midfield. Period.

Gone were the days when counter attacking football won you trophies. That was stone age football.

jackal&hyde

It has come the time IMO that we need to look for who is available. The CL performance is unacceptable.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Thanks for the constructive comment. The manager sets the standards. WTF is he laughing after our shocking campaign.
Times have changed I get that and we shouldn’t really look back too much but can you imagine SAF having a hug and smiles with an oppo player after we had just basically blown out chance of getting outbid the group, I can picture him storming down the touch line and wanting words with the players. Football is all too kind these days

AndySmith1990

Times have changed I get that and we shouldn’t really look back too much but can you imagine SAF having a hug and smiles with an oppo player after we had just basically blown out chance of getting outbid the group, I can picture him storming down the touch line and wanting words with the players. Football is all too kind these days
Ferguson was the kind of man who was pissed off with a poor performance even if his team won. He had incredibly high standards and I loved that about him, and hate how the standards he set have gone out the window

Irwin99

At least we're scoring a few more goals and playing quite a bit better in the attacking third. The games where we were winning 1-0 or 2-1 a few weeks back were way worse to watch than this so at least that's something.

Goalkeeping issue aside, the centre midfield is just a dark void of nothingness though. I know we have injuries but he has to do better than this even with the players at his disposal.

Devil81

Onana, Mount and Antony.

Can't help but feel that money could have been spent so much better and questions should be asked about the decisions to sign all three.

Rojofiam

There we go, smiling when talking to a friend or former player after full time is now low standards :lol:

The same people reminiscing about old times are the ones crying about anything they can

Telsim

He has managed to salvage the situation somewhat. I think we will look a noticeably better team with a proper RW, a young talented CB, and a quality midfielder to play alongside Mainoo. Ten Hag should be largely exempt from the selection process for obvious reasons.

el3mel

I didn't watch the game, I thought we would lose..checked the result and thought 3-3 wasn't bad considering our form even regardless of us going out, but then I discovered we were 3-1 up ??!! We lost a 2 goals lead ? For real ?

Thank flying feck I didn't watch.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
I didn't watch the game, I thought we would lose..checked the result and thought 3-3 wasn't bad considering our form even regardless of us going out, but then I discovered we were 3-0 up ??!! We lost a 3-0 lead ? For real ?

3-1

Xaviboy

If we play like we did tonight vs Liverpool in 3 weeks time we are getting hammered again. I don't want a repeat of last season. Horrible time.

We are so easy to play against. Against good teams we will get punished.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I didn't watch the game, I thought we would lose..checked the result and thought 3-3 wasn't bad considering our form even regardless of us going out, but then I discovered we were 3-1 up ??!! We lost a 2 goals lead ? For real ?

3-1 up. Not that it's much better.

el3mel

Kinda crazy though that we still have a chance to go through the group, even though it's bound by us defeating Bayern.

It's honestly shambolic that we struggled to this point in such group.

Drainy

Ferguson was the kind of man who was pissed off with a poor performance even if his team won. He had incredibly high standards and I loved that about him, and hate how the standards he set have gone out the window

It's more complex than that. During matches he was very intense and would demand a lot.

In his later years once the match was over, he actually didn't care about poor performances and grinding out results as much, as long as the effort and intensity was there.

His famous rant at his Aberdeen side after beating Real Madrid was a regret for him in his career, I recall.

mu4c_20le

Onana, Mount and Antony.

Can't help but feel that money could have been spent so much better and questions should be asked about the decisions to sign all three.
Every manager post fergie has made poor signings but some of these are just shocking. Antony should have been vetoed by Murtough but he was too weak. Our scouts knew about him.

Redstain

I think recent results have certainly helped the managers cause I thought a few weeks ago the team would lose to Everton. One issue though with Eth is that there is a nativity with how open this team can become, almost as if he's struggling to balance being too pragmatic (just countering witnessed early last season) and too open whereby the team has a capacity to get humiliated.

Fahad Jawaid

Onana, Mount and Antony.

That's around 200M Pounds, half of how much he has spent, the worse part is soo many people raised their concerns regarding these signings. For Onana, everybody rightly identified that his shot stopping is very poor, he has jelly hands which is coming to roost.

For Mount, he was never the type of midfielder we should have gone for, ETH has been lucky that Mainoo has returned and looks a player, we should have signed an experienced player with the ability to control the game, another AM was the last thing anybody wanted.

Antony had the worst youtube compilation of a winger, I had seen. He had the same issues, he never took on a player, his crossing was poor and has very average pace for a winger. This should all have been well known to ETH, but he still persuaded the club to spend a hefty fee, which we would be lucky to recover even quarter of that.