Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 430 48.2%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 462 51.8%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
How bizarre that we win manager, player and goal of the month yet we’ve been shit for months and he’ll be lucky if he’s not sacked by Monday

El Zoido

Just leave. We are amazingly shit.

Or just let Liverpool smash us and go after that.

El Jefe

I said a few weeks ago that he thinks short term quick fixes are a decent strategy for long term results.

If he won a game playing Hojlund at right back you can better your last dollar he’d do it again in the following game.

He doesn’t understand what it takes to win consistently in this league. Any decent bit of form cannot last long enough because we are so easy to play against.

Blood Mage

He just won manager of the month and we're still only three points behind City. We're just not proactive enough to pull the plug yet. Maybe after our annual Anfield hammering.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Probably someone who watches us play entire football matches with a giant gap between the back line and the forwards. No patterns of play except between Onana and Maguire knocking it about before lumping a long ball up.

How you can watch us this season and NOT think it's mostly shit coaching.........

We've never been this bad without the ball in our own half. Never this shit defensively. Never this naive and clueless.
Amen

These problems were obvious against Chelsea, as well. Just that Chelsea were shit and couldn't score. Also McT and Shaw played that game better. But we were wide open against Cheslea as well. Iraola saw that, planned accordingly and 100% outplayed naive Ten Hag

This is not the first time Erik was naive

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Yup, we're stuck until it's confirmed. I imagine they have a plan ready though, as I think it's been obvious for a few months that this was coming.
I wish I was this hopeful. My gut says they will let it get worse as they don't want their first major decision to be a manager sacking that is still for some reason backed by fans.

It makes more sense for the Glazers to sack the manager on their behalf before they come in.

If he's not sacked now he will have until January or February I think

redshaw

Doubt they have really downed tools, they tried but had no invention when they frequently got to the 18 yard box. Said at 0-1 Bournemouth look good for another while we push for a goal in chaotic fashion. They have the strength and precision, we had possession and couldn't create.

We have so many wayward passing weak players and are on course for about 45 goals, worse than LVG's worst season. We look so inept. An absolute cluster feck of attacking players on zero stats clinging on for a McTom goal.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
He signed a lot of the absolute worst shite in this current squad. You should follow him to his next club in the Dutch fourth tier where he belongs. I'm sure you'll have a grand old time watching his thrilling brand of football.
And you should follow your mouth back to the toilet because that’s where the stuff that’s coming out of your mouth belongs.

hobbers

How bizarre that we win manager, player and goal of the month yet we’ve been shit for months and he’ll be lucky if he’s not sacked by Monday
It's almost like the press and pundits like it when we hang on to shit managers who cant do the job with dozens of false dawns and turning points.

Nothing like a 6-12 month downward spiral. Ole and Mourinho can attest to that.

BootsyCollins

To go from a pretty good Chelsea match to this is on him. If you need one specific CB to play the way you want, you should not be a coach in this level. Absolute shitshow this season, and if he comes out after this match and say we played well he pushes me in the Hag-Out camp.

Delano

I'm done.

The team is greedy, lacking in talent and completely devoid of composure.

However, the midfield set up is fecking suicidal and playing McTominay only compounds the issue.

You'd think he'd have realised it's a terrible idea after the start of the season. Or maybe when he saw us give away goal after goal. But no.

No other elite team plays this way and it's his choice

DickDastardly

That's just too many scars for him to continue.

Too many losses and too many bad memories for him to turn it around.

A clean slate is needed for someone.

A new manager bounce for Pool?

soapythecat

Klopp - you could see progression.
Arteta - you could see progression.
I don’t see anything this season - not one single game - where I’ve thought, we are making progress. The games we’ve won we could have easy lost. Not sure he survives this because when we capitulate….we proper capitulate. The players clearly aren’t confident they can play their way out of these situations.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I see funny trend among his devotes fan base, whenever we lose it’s because players have downed tools and let the brilliant mind Erik down, however the good games are strictly because of his immaculate tactics. :lol:

laughtersassassin

Got to fell for our other sacked managers who got sacked for less. And yet ETH has no consequences for his shit results.

CasaStreets

Probably someone who watches us play entire football matches with a giant gap between the back line and the forwards. No patterns of play except between Onana and Maguire knocking it about before lumping a long ball up.
Are you kidding? That contributed to PRECISELY ZERO of the goals today

1. Wayward pass out from fernandes
2. Poor 2nd touch from Maguire
3. Corner

So tell me again how this wasn’t a final ball and player quality issue? We simply don’t have the quality in the final third to finish attacking moves, no matter how well we play. It’s there for all to see.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
I put him only ahead of moyes for the worst manager post fergie, at least had we kept ragnick he would have actually built a good side and could see how he wanted to play but players knew he was short term and ronaldo lead the way in revolting against his style, ole did give us good wins over top 4 sides and good football at times with respectable seasons, can not say the same for ten hag, the football has been a real awful to watch for about 90% of his tenure and has given us some truly rubbish recruited players that are worse than what we got rid of under him
How do you come to the conclusion that RANGNICK, who has one of the worst percentages in our history, who hadn't managed for ten years, who shat on the players every game and weaponised the fans against them, would build a good squad? This is as bad as defending ETH.

Revan

Assumptionman
I am very worried that he might walk away and join Real or Bayern.

That's what I heard in Caf just two-three months ago.

PoTMS

In hindsight, Moyes was so unlucky and can consider himself hard done by. Some of the time his successors have been given completely unwarranted that he wasn't given.

Flying_Heckfish

I refuse to give him time. I think he was given too much time in fact. If he is trying to develop youngsters and in doing so losing games that I am fine. He should hang his head is shame and resigned from United. McTominay does nothing accept score a couple goals, Dalot cannot cross to save his life. Shaw is as lazy as feck for thr 2nd score. Antony is Antony, contributed nothing. Martial???? What is he doing on the field?
Did I really need to add /s ?

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
What was that when we went 2-0 down? They just folded completely. Players aren't good enough, Downing tools - not working.

Sack him and hire Conte. We deserve it. Bring back Sancho. We don't deserve this playing out from back shit and fullback coming inside tactics. With the players we have , defend and counter is the best.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
The way Ten Hag seems to have nailed his colours to McTominay is very Van Gaal and Fellaini.

Using the midfield battering ram may be new and exciting to Dutch football traditions. But its nothing revolutionary here and it'll get found out against anyone with half decent quality.

I've been stunned by the way he has abandoned any intent to play through midfield, simply to accommodate McTominay. I'd rather he dropped Bruno for McTominay, to maintain some sense of shape and order.

I thought if we were going to go off a cliff we'd at least do it playing some kind of Ten Hag style. What we seem to be doing is no improvement on what Ole was doing at the end. At least Ole's teams tried to get shots off. We've become an unholy mix of a team that pushes everyone forwards but then dilly dallies on the ball.

Maybe with time it'd get better? Not sure anyone thought Lego Pep would go from 8th to title challengers. But I'd be lying if I said I could see it.

Superunknown

We're going nowhere at best and backwards at worst under him. What a huge disappointment he's been this season.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
1) Results are bellow average
2) General play is bellow average
3) His signings are all awful.
4) He managed to get in fight with too many players
5) His tactical decisions are bad. Playing without creative midfielder, nonsense about left footed defender, keep playing with McT....

I liked him a lot when he came here but it is just not working anymore. Time to go.

FattyFooty

The worst part about stacking him is that nobody that manages a top club is interested in the players he spent millions on...

Probably the worst manager we seen here. He also got by far the most money to get hes own team.

And to the people that talk about he needs time... Thats for managers that dont get 400 million.. thats for managers that has to develop players. When you pay 400 million your suppose to know what you are getting.

Totally out of hes dept. Has no idea what the PL is about. And is on top of that not willing to learn. Completely out of hes League.

Rant over.

city-puma

I feel people need to calm down. The score is ridiculous and unacceptable. However, we are continuing to play in the same way, rather than abandon the idea.
My point is that we lost due to the wrong setup by using Reguilon as LB. It completely unsettled our left side, hence the whole unit. It was shown in Chelsea game as well. At least for ETH’s system, Reguilon is a pointless choice.

Castia

Just tactically awful

the midfield in non existent he’s trying to play like a side who dominates games and pins teams back so he’s using 2 advanced midfielders but the reality is we can rarely put 2 passes together and the opposition just walk through the middle of the park

Also Maguire, McTominay have been good lately I see why they are starting games but in the grand scheme of things we aren’t winning anything with those 2

TsuWave

1) Results are bellow average
2) General play is bellow average
3) His signings are all awful.
4) He managed to get in fight with too many players
5) His tactical decisions are bad. Playing without creative midfielder, nonsense about left footed defender, keep playing with McT....
I have not seen another United manager be given so much leeway whilst being this bad at their job.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
I am very worried that he might walk away and join Real or Bayern.

That's what I heard in Caf just two-three months ago.
Why are you worried? No big club would touch him with a ten foot pole after this season.

ItDoesntEvenMata

I have no idea how someone watches that performance and thinks the issue is coaching. So much great play but the amount of times our quality let us down on the last pass or touch in obvious goal-scoring situations is shocking.

Our issue has been and continues to be player quality and recruitment, which should never be solely entrusted to ANY manager. So I have a hard time faulting him for that - it’s much more a function of our club structure and back-office quality.

I really think people are inferring the wrong causation here. So long as these are our players, we will always be a team fighting at the fringes for CL qualification at best.
Ten Hag made the decision solely to start Martial today - a player who has consistently let down this club for 5+ seasons.

Ten Hag has frozen out our World Cup winning CB for absolutely no apparent reason to the extent where we are playing a world class LB at cb (whose main weakness is positional sense, which got exploited for the Billing goal) and a Spurs reject at LB, rather than playing Varane. Clueless

I supported Erik with his decision to freeze out Ronaldo and to some extent Sancho, although I can see how Sancho must feel aggrieved at watching Martial, Antony, Rashford etc start time and time again whilst offering similar outputs...but now these decisions have gone too far.

The recruitment and quality does come from the structure above yes, but Ten Hag's decisions and management of players/ games shows me that he's probably not going to get it right even in a great system now. I think he could have done if he'd have stayed as resolute as he was last year but he let it all slip and the passengers take control again