Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 249 37.8%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 409 62.2%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

GreatDane

Can the McTominay experiment be put down now, please?
Having a functioning midfield and a rw that was a threat makes a difference.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Question is, is this a one off? Will we see this style of play and commitment for the other games?

This game doesn't ease any of my concerns, it does show this team can get top 4 if they are set up well if anything

Doracle

Our best performance of the season coincides with him fixing two errors he’s been making all season.

I’m going to hold off criticising as a manager learning is better than one who never changes their bad tactics and there was definitely much more sign of a structure today. However, he needs to keep the structure he’s hit on now. Front 3 should be set so far as they are whenever fit and balance maintained in midfield.

JagUTD

I'm now fully convinced that it's not the players. "Can't press with these players", "no fight" etc. It's the dog shit game plans.
Seems a bit of an odd way to look at it tbh.

What changed then at half time? The game plan or the players attitude?

Someone

Something
Was 45 minutes away from losing his job. This will give him some time with the new regime. The next 3 games are crucial imo. Losing any of them might see him sacked. By Feb the squad should be looking completely different with most players returning from injuries.

Guv77

He's got to be delighted with the response of the players, now he's got to find a way to make us more threatening more often.
playing them in their natural positions would be a start, no more McTom experiment.

TheGame

Their crazy high line saved him this time. Anyone watching us regularly will know this is the only way we're able to do something.
Oh sod off. This is a team third in the league that everyone was raving about and saying they would beat us. We dominated them with our game plan. Bar 2 silly mistakes, we were great.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
He needs to stay and I’ve never wavered really.

although a defeat today and the speculation would have been insane I imagine

needs to get his players back from injury and needs a summer with (hopefully) competent people behind him

el3mel

I also want to really praise the way we controlled the 9 minutes of added time.

Controlled the game in them completely and the subs wasted the time perfectly. We were never at any danger of conceded a late goal in comparison to many other games this season.

God this 2nd half was just the kind of performance I missed from Man United. Why don't we deserve to see such form more often ?

Guv77

Oh sod off. This is a team third in the league that everyone was raving about and saying they would beat us. We dominated them with our game plan. Bar 2 silly mistakes, we were great.

And yet Guardiola could even get his team to get a shot on target against them.

agree fantastic game.

DavelinaJolie

I think I said this after the West Ham game, but the forwards just seem so better suited to counter attacking football, they look so dangerous when they can use their pace with Bruno distributing the ball to the forwards through the defensive line. Strip them of the space and Bruno of time and they really struggle. Thank god Villa stuck with that high line.

JagUTD

Their crazy high line saved him this time. Anyone watching us regularly will know this is the only way we're able to do something.
There were over 3712 mentions of the word "offside" in the match thread but now it's the same high line catching them out time and again that actually meant we won?

K

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Not read a post in here today, will do after hitting send.

Need more of this. He made changes and strong deployment. Please don't revert.

TheGame

I also want to really praise the way we controlled the 9 minutes of added time.

Controlled the game in them completely and the subs wasted the time perfectly. We were never at any danger of conceded a late goal in comparison to many other games this season.

God this 2nd half was just the kind of performance I missed from Man United. Why don't we deserve to see such form more often ?
Yep that is a great point about the added time. They never really threatened at all and we kept our press.

Toblerone92

Was 45 minutes away from losing his job. This will give him some time with the new regime. The next 3 games are crucial imo. Losing any of them might see him sacked. By Feb the squad should be looking completely different with most players returning from injuries.
I don’t see how people reach these conclusions, that he will somehow be sacked if he loses the next game or two. Him being 45 minutes away from being sacked today is also complete nonsense.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Did very well second half to negate the high line and utilise the pace in the side.

JagUTD

Nice to see so many youths on at the end :drool:
Obviously it's forced to some extent but if you count academy graduates and young players, the number we are playing at the minute is a small silver lining in all this.

7 v Liverpool played and similar again tonight.

Jezpeza

Think it's clear he's lost the dressing room lads
Tbh I remember a 3-2 comeback under JM against Newcastle at a point he had definitely lost the dressing room. Enjoyed the game today though

el3mel

Question is, is this a one off? Will we see this style of play and commitment for the other games?

This game doesn't ease any of my concerns, it does show this team can get top 4 if they are set up well if anything
It's 100% a one off and we have seen this ton of times by now under all managers but I'm still going to enjoy this night and not think about our next loss.

These moments and wins don't come often anymore so best to just enjoy it. We'll have plenty of time to criticize the team when our inevitable shit form and results kick in again.

Fooza

I'm relieved for him, could have genuinely seen him sacked this week if he lost that, that 45mins saved him.

Onana isn't working, he needs to sort this out asap

JagUTD

Tbh I remember a 3-2 comeback under JM against Newcastle at a point he had definitely lost the dressing room. Enjoyed the game today though
That one was very late and unexpected. Don't think we played well but Newcastle were a shocking team while Villa are anything but

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Obviously it's forced to some extent but if you count academy graduates and young players, the number we are playing at the minute is a small silver lining in all this.

7 v Liverpool played and similar again tonight.
Yep, it’s been forced through all our injuries but it’s still mightily impressive

spiriticon

I'm not getting too excited but if he can maintain this level desire and hunger for the rest of the season, both home and away, we'll get into the top 4 or 5.

The problem is though you never know which Man United will turn up next week.

TysonFury

My manager until the very very end which is hopefully in many many years to come. The players showed they are with him. Now let’s push on from here and just take it one game at a time.

JagUTD

It's 100% a one off and we have seen this ton of times by now under all managers but I'm still going to enjoy this night and not think about our next loss.

These moments and wins don't come often anymore so best to just enjoy it. We'll have plenty of time to criticize the team when our inevitable shit form and results kick in again.
This is my fear. Only every turning up for a game or two. Less Manchester Unitease and more Manchester United going forward.

Jezpeza

That one was very late and unexpected. Don't think we played well but Newcastle were a shocking team while Villa are anything but
Yeah but its us. We’ll get a good result against Villa then get slapped by Forest on Nunos new manager bounce to undo it

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
I'm not getting too excited but if he can maintain this level desire and hunger for the rest of the season, both home and away, we'll get into the top 4 or 5.

The problem is though you never know which Man United will turn up next week.
It’s another case of false hope. The squad isn’t good enough. Can’t rely on 45 minutes of good football

justboy68

There's more than a few, watch the Newcastle game again
I'm not discounting the potential of a couple of bad eggs but overall I think they are a good group attitude wise. Ability, failed tactics and especially confidence are the big factors that can make it look like an attitude problem sometimes.

JagUTD

The players didn’t stop playing for him in the 2nd half
We've all seen our players down tools. Seen them laughing at 2/3/4 nil down.

That's not the case now. It's been utter shite but it's not because they've given up.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

Smart decision dropping Antony for his lack of pace. He knew Emery played a high defensive line and that suited Garnacho and Rashford perfectly.

BoulderDevil

Tactical masterclass from EtH. Stifled and suffocated them after we went down and were relentless all 2nd half. People who think he will be gone soon are delusional.

A very relieved manager tonight. He’s in survival mode, and that comeback has bought him a reprieve, but we have to keep it going. It’s no good if we now go several games without winning again.