Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 582 54.6%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 484 45.4%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

LDUred

This rift was created by Rangnick, who weaponized the fans against the players. I don't even know if this will be fixed after ETH is gone, depends on how Ratcliffe changes the culture of the club.
To be fair to Rangnick, while a poor manager in his limited with us, he was a good identifier of talent. All the players he recommended to the board have gone on to do great, and he recommended us to buy them before their value went through the roof. City basically signed the players he wanted to come in.

Ten Hag, on the other hand, rejected Rangnick's advice, and proceeded to buy Onana, Antony, Amrabat, the kind of players who are going to keep United at an average level for years.

People don't realize the mess Ten Hag has left us in due to his transfer dealings, and that's even before you get onto his terrible work managing the squad itself. He's been a complete disaster.

RORY65

No. He was effing shite either side of a goal Garnacho gifted to him.
He was bad (I'm not sure what other options we have up front in fairness), it was just amusing that he was bad the whole game but the post was a few seconds before he scored. His drop off, or regression to his normal form if that's how you feel, this season has largely killed our attack because he was masking the lack of goals by other forward players last year.

frostbite

This forum is just overrun with children. ETH may be failing here, but there's no way he's "useless" given what he did at Ajax and his first season with us. Your final sentence is obviously flawed, as before ETH Ajax had several managers who were unable to win the league.

The thing is, I expect a DoF will fire ETH, as they'll want to put their own mark on the team. However, I fully expect that his time here (and that of several of our managers after Fergie) would have been much more successful with a better structure above and around him.

We'll see. I bet he will be sacked before summer, and no good team will ever hire him. He is done. And he is too old, he is not a 30-something up and coming manager.

The Hilton

This delusion is up there with the constant fawning over THAT 45 minutes that Rangnick could be arsed producing. In no way were we playing like the best Klopp sides, you are out of your god damn mind or lying to defend him. I can't decide which.
Is there fawning over that 45 minutes under Rangnick? We just ran a lot, it was easy as we had barely run all season up to that point and after 45 minutes the players decided they didn't fancy it anymore.

As for your second sentence, it's what I'd expect from a child. How on Earth could I by "lying to defend him" by stating my observations of a match we all watched, along with stats like xG etc that show how much better we were. You clearly don't like ETH, and want him gone, but that kind of emotional outburst is just playground stuff.

The Hilton

We'll see. I bet he will be sacked before summer, and no good team will ever hire him. He is done. And he is too old, he is not a 30-something up and coming manager.
I expect he'll be sacked before summer too, as the INEOS crew will want to put their own stamp on it.

The no good team hiring him though, I totally disagree. If you want to make a wager of it, I'd be happy to, what would you define as "no good team"?

ehizario

This forum is just overrun with children. ETH may be failing here, but there's no way he's "useless" given what he did at Ajax and his first season with us. Your final sentence is obviously flawed, as before ETH Ajax had several managers who were unable to win the league.

The thing is, I expect a DoF will fire ETH, as they'll want to put their own mark on the team. However, I fully expect that his time here (and that of several of our managers after Fergie) would have been much more successful with a better structure above and around him.
Ten Hag had made average players poorer, and made good players average. He's added nothing positive to the team other than picking up unnecessary fights with players. Ten Hag's got the ego of Mourinho and pep combined whereas he's won nothing compared to them. He has clearly taken us backwards as a team. Ratcliffe should get rid immediately. The whole must always be greater than the sum of parts but the opposite it is with ten Hag. Nuno, Iraola, postecoglu and co have stamped their pattern of play of their respective teams in such a short time... Ten Hag out

gaffs

Sacking him now isn't a good idea.

The league is over. Nothing to play for.

Europe is finished.

League Cup done.

FA Cup, may go on a run or may lose 2-1 to Wigan. Who knows.

But if we do sack him now, then we get a replacement who has to endure another 5 months of shit results and players not being arsed.
Or the replacement turns it around.

Jev

I expect he'll be sacked before summer too, as the INEOS crew will want to put their own stamp on it.

The no good team hiring him though, I totally disagree. If you want to make a wager of it, I'd be happy to, what would you define as "no good team"?
This seems apologetic. They wouldn’t sack him if he was doing well. If they sack him, it will be because he’s failing on every level.

DomM

He will last the season, we'll scrape into the top half of the league and then he'll be gone. We will have someone lined up to replace him for the summer, hopefully someone who knows what they are doing.

The Hilton

This seems apologetic. They wouldn’t sack him if he was doing well. If they sack him, it will be because he’s failing on every level.
Sure they could, short of us absolutely flying at the top of the table there would still be room for improvement, and he may not even fit the direction they want to take the team.

It would certainly be harder for the fanbase to swallow though if we were doing better.

Still, I'm resigned to it happening now, I just want it to be done with a plan, rather than throwing random new managers at the problem. That hasn't worked for the previous decade, and it won't work for the next one either.

The Hilton

Ten Hag had made average players poorer, and made good players average. He's added nothing positive to the team other than picking up unnecessary fights with players. Ten Hag's got the ego of Mourinho and pep combined whereas he's won nothing compared to them. He has clearly taken us backwards as a team. Ratcliffe should get rid immediately. The whole must always be greater than the sum of parts but the opposite it is with ten Hag. Nuno, Iraola, postecoglu and co have stamped their pattern of play of their respective teams in such a short time... Ten Hag out
Unnecessary fights :lol:

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
I hope he goes quickly. But I can see FA Cup wins and a good performance against a reckless Spurs high line at home. We then waste the winter break sticking with ETH convinced of another false dawn, then lose 2/3 to Wolves, West Ham and Villa before finally sacking him.

Bole Top

the only difference between us and Everton is that they got their points taken from them, otherwise we're having the same season as them. they scored more goals though.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
We don't look nearly there, we look miles off.
14 defeats from a total of 28 matches this season. 22 goals scored in 20 PL matches.

If he lasts the entire season, this could genuinely be our worst ever season.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
My only worry is that he goes now and Graham Potter comes in. The nightmare scenario.

Ronaldo's Love Child

In my mind there is no doubt, our form under ETH this season is sackable. The problem is there are no standout candidates out there.

Sure, we can try for De Zerbi but Graham Potter was flavour of the year not all that long ago and that didn't turn out well for him.

We knew we had a rebuild job on our hands. ETH knew it too and even warned us that there would be many ups and downs but I have yet to see any positive trajectory from us under his management.

We over achieved in his 1st season and we are underachieving in our 2nd season so perhaps we're averaging about where we should be.

I would love a better AND available option to be out there for us but there really isn't. So maybe, we just stick with the project, take transfers out of ETH's hands and see where we are at the end of the season.

ETH's post match comments are really starting to grate with me but he has put a noose around his own neck by declaring that we will get better when the injured players return.

Shark

@NotShark
My only worry is that he goes now and Graham Potter comes in. The nightmare scenario.
Potter couldn't do any worse, but it'd still be indeed a nightmare long-term. Would pretty much guarantee another ten years without a title.

TsuWave

I do think questioning Ten Hag about his relatively regular falling out with players is fair.

The club and fans stood behind him on them decisions, but when you’re falling out with players and not producing the goods - be it performances or results, then you’ve got some things to answer for and inviting scrutiny over those decisions.

AndySmith1990

Couldn't care less what he did at Ajax. It's as relevant as what Moyes did at Everton or Solskjaer did at Molde. In fact I'd say Solskjaer is the better manager seeing as he was at least clever enough to play to the teams strengths.

Ten Hag is fecking shit. Even an amateur could look at some of the decisions he makes and tell you they're stupid decisions.

He was hyped up to be something he isn't. I guess some people are struggling to accept we've hired a dud, so they desperately look for any excuse to tell themselves he really is the manager they were fooled in to believing he was

erikcred

I do think questioning Ten Hag about his relatively regular falling out with players is fair.

The club and fans stood behind him on them decisions, but when you’re falling out with players and not producing the goods - be it performances or results, then you’ve got some things to answer for and inviting scrutiny over those decisions.
Which players did he fall out with?

frostbite

You misunderstood, I only bet using reputable well-known companies, not unknown posters.

Ace of Spades

Now he has started making lame excuses. We were just as shit when all our players were available. We have looked just as bad all season. The same empty midfield, the same cut back goals. The same clueless and directionless football.

feck off, and take the dross you seem so attached with you as well. Ffs, terrible management by a terrible, clueless manager.

Josep Dowling

Fergie, Guardiola and Ancelotti working in tandem couldn't get a tune out of these dickheads.
There is truth to this but that still doesn’t mean he shouldn’t be sacked. He’s not getting enough out of the resources so he has to be sacked. His signings have become duds and we have reverted back to players we already knew were duds from previous tenures. The whole management of the club is terrible.

And on top we have extended Lindelof’s contract. I could have told you he wasn’t good enough 5 years ago.

Winrar

the only difference between us and Everton is that they got their points taken from them, otherwise we're having the same season as them. they scored more goals though.
So has all but 3 teams in the league, one of who are Palace who are currently level with us.

Other 2? Burnley and Sheff Utd, both rooted to relegation spots.

STYLOISRED

Coaching is poor ffs! No direction no plan. Ole atleast had a plan which worked well and seemed to maximise the strengths of his players.