Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 265 38.7%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 420 61.3%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Good lord after all the shite we have been through year after year and all the humiliations we have endured season after season ever since fergie retired, it’s the appointment of Southgate that would end me.
I'm confident we won't go for him. But could you imagine not only hiring Southgate, but waiting till after the Euros for him and ruining a summer of planning too, as we did with LVG :lol:

mu4c_20le

The pashun when we hit late winners against forest and wolves will be worth it though

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Do you genuinely believe that our scouts did not know about any other right wingers? If not, we could’ve just kept the one we had. We’d be better off.
In two years in which we have spent thousands of millions, we were interested in just 6 players in total. There are people who actually believe that.

The Hilton

The point I'm making is we should have scouts putting better targets on the table (which they didn't).

If our strategy is punting on who ten hag wants, then we should be prepared for flops. And once we have established there are a couple of flops, we should not berate Ten Hag for it.

He asked for a say in transfers and being in the room for overall strategy, not being a one man show.
It's so tedious that "manager wants a say in transfers" is being blatantly misrepresented as "Ten Hag demanded to call all the shots".

This is a great article on the signing and how the cost was so much: https://www.espn.com/soccer/story/_/id/37635427/is-antony-100m-mistake-future-man-united.

A couple of key quotes:

Ajax initially quoted around €60 million, which was deemed too high, and by the time Ten Hag was pushing the issue later in the window, Ajax had already made deals to move on six players -- including Lisandro Martinez to United -- and were in no hurry to do a deal.
Firstly, there weren't many other options in that position, and while Martinez was one of five left-footed centre-backs they looked at, only three forwards -- including Antony -- made the shortlist.
So Murtough approached Ajax for Antony and was quoted €60m, turned his nose up at that and tried to work a deal for one of the other two players on the shortlist that was far too short for purpose, and then had to go back in for Antony at a ridiculously inflated cost because those alternatives didn't work out. Misrepresenting that as "ETH spent £85m on Antony that's a sackable offence" is so far removed from the truth it's borderline trolling.

Thom Merrilin

Nope, you'll find versions of all five arguments within this very thread.
Versions, sure. However I'd be surprised if anyone genuinly thinks that 90 percent of our players are sh*t and the players that eth has brought in are throwing him under the bus. I guess I'm just tired of all the strawman arguments being thrown around.

Laurencio

It's so tedious that "manager wants a say in transfers" is being blatantly misrepresented as "Ten Hag demanded to call all the shots".

This is a great article on the signing and how the cost was so much: https://www.espn.com/soccer/story/_/id/37635427/is-antony-100m-mistake-future-man-united.

A couple of key quotes:

So Murtough approached Ajax for Antony and was quoted €60m, turned his nose up at that and tried to work a deal for one of the other two players on the shortlist that was far too short for purpose, and then had to go back in for Antony at a ridiculously inflated cost because those alternatives didn't work out. Misrepresenting that as "ETH spent £85m on Antony that's a sackable offence" is so far removed from the truth it's borderline trolling.
Fellaini all over again. When the subject of transfer fees came up on the Overlap, Ole mentioned that he as the manager had absolutely nothing to do with that. You'd have to assume the same would be true for Ten Hag, so while we can blame him for signing duds, he likely wasn't setting price-tags.

The Hilton

Fellaini all over again. When the subject of transfer fees came up on the Overlap, Ole mentioned that he as the manager had absolutely nothing to do with that. You'd have to assume the same would be true for Ten Hag, so while we can blame him for signing duds, he likely wasn't setting price-tags.
To be honest, we shouldn't really be blaming him for signing duds either. His job shouldn't be to identify targets, beyond at most an exemplar of the profile he's looking at. That's the role of an entire scouting and recruitment department, that should work with the manager to identify those profiles, and then come up with options. Think how many left footed wide players there are in world football, and then try to imagine how awful our scouting department must be if they were only able to come up with 2 alternatives to Antony who was put forward by Ten Hag as an example.

Matt851

To be honest it's impossible to gauge his coaching with the shit squad he has. Which is how we pivoted to transfers and player quality.
What we do know is he wasn't this open last year or ever in his managerial career, so it's not unreasonable to attribute this to circumstance more than coaching pedigree.
We look to be amongst the worst coached teams in the league, if not the worst. So I would say we can gauge his coaching.

His other teams may not have exhibited the same problems but Holland is very different to the pl

AndyMUFC

From the options available Nagelsmann is probably the most sensible pick. No point in going down the De Zerbi route just yet until we've completely overhauled the squad. Imagine Bruno and Rashford trying to play possession football.
I think that's a big problem we've got.

We all want to see us play a different style of football because we're not going to compete for the major trophies otherwise but I feel like we're going to have to wait until those two are no longer the star players to be able to implement it.

TrebleChamp99

Supports Liverpool
Don't get attached to ETH, hes gone in the summer no matter the performances or turn around on the pitch.

He isn't their man and if you want any public proof of it, he hasn't been offered a new deal.

redcucumber

Would Bayern have any interest in ten Hag (if Alonso goes to Liverpool/stays at Leverkusen)? He was second choice after Nagelsmann. Not done the business here/in the big leagues, though.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Would Bayern have any interest in ten Hag (if Alonso goes to Liverpool/stays at Leverkusen)? He was second choice after Nagelsmann. Not done the business here/in the big leagues, though.
Surely Leverkusen to replace Alonso would be more likely?

Chairman Steve

I just don’t see him being in charge come 1st June at the latest. New owners always want to have their own guys in place especially if the club had been bad and/or underperforming before they come in.

ETH was hired by Glazers, Arnold and Murtough. The Glazers have relinquished the on-pitch powers. Arnold effectively got kicked out by INEOS and Murtough’s position is very much under threat if we’re already hiring the likes of Ashworth, Wilcox and maybe Freedman.

So the people who work with ETH and who hired him could all be out of the picture imminently in relation to his main role. The Glazers are still part owners but face it they’re going to bunker down in Tampa even more now that they‘ve got an excuse not to come to games.

lex talionis

I'm still of the view that if INEOS are going to keep ETH, they should say so publicly now and extend his contract for a year or two. And if they've decided to let ETH spend more time with his family that they should sack him now and bring in whoever that manager is going to be.

The worst option is waiting until Nagelsmann and whoever else is on the short list to be taken by other top clubs (Liverpool and Chelsea will be in the hunt, as will others) by June, leaving with crumbs to feast on. And when that manager is brought on in June, he will have work to do then that could have been done in April and May. Evaluating the squad, the club as a whole and so on.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Don't get attached to ETH, hes gone in the summer no matter the performances or turn around on the pitch.

He isn't their man and if you want any public proof of it, he hasn't been offered a new deal.
Bit of a weird logic there

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Surely Leverkusen to replace Alonso would be more likely?
I expect Leverkusen would go for Hoeneß (Stuttgart) or maybe Hürzeler (St Pauli) before moving for EtH. Those two are also young, very successful with their teams and most importantly play a similar style as Alonso does. Would be a much smoother transition than to whatever EtH does. I remember there was shortly a bit talk about EtH to Dortmund and I honestly believe IF he should get a move into the Bundesliga that's the most likely destination.

frostbite

Or perhaps Real Madrid. And he will take Antony with him!

(I am joking! )

Teja

I'm still of the view that if INEOS are going to keep ETH, they should say so publicly now and extend his contract for a year or two.
Some strange logic here. They haven't even got a DOF appointment done yet. Plenty of time to discuss / debate if Ten Hag's the guy.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
We look to be amongst the worst coached teams in the league, if not the worst. So I would say we can gauge his coaching.

His other teams may not have exhibited the same problems but Holland is very different to the pl
We look extremely open, because he's had the biggest defensive injury crisis I can remember. I think the fact that he's never had sides conceding as many shots or being THAT open shows this season is an anomaly. It's a bit daft to assume poor coaching based on one season that's riddled with injuries whilst ignoring all the rest.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
We look extremely open, because he's had the biggest defensive injury crisis I can remember. I think the fact that he's never had sides conceding as many shots or being THAT open shows this season is an anomaly. It's a bit daft to assume poor coaching based on one season that's riddled with injuries whilst ignoring all the rest.
Interesting fact I remember, Arsenal had 3 of their 4 first choice defenders out for a chunk of 2005-06 season (Campbell, Lauren and Cole). They were playing Flamini, Senderos and young Eboue at the back next to Toure.

Ended up conceding no goals in CL knockout stage until final, beating Juventus, Real Madrid and Villarreal.

Brophs

The One and Only
Maybe he’ll be the manager next season but if you look at the approach INEOS have taken with underperforming people in senior roles at the club since they took control of football operations…it’s not exactly indicative of an ownership who are willing to give people enough rope or listen to hard luck stories about why it hasn’t quite happened yet for them.

TsuWave

Guy has some really heavy defeats in his catalogue - at almost every club he's managed.

Extrapolating from what he did at other places is also flawed since he's already stated he's not trying to play here like he did elsewhere, so

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Interesting fact I remember, Arsenal had 3 of their 4 first choice defenders out for a chunk of 2005-06 season (Campbell, Lauren and Cole). They were playing Flamini, Senderos and young Eboue at the back next to Toure.

Ended up conceding no goals in CL knockout stage until final, beating Juventus, Real Madrid and Villarreal.
I'm not denying we had a bad performance in the CL and blame our manager more in that regard.
However we have had say 3 out of 4 first choice defenders out, then the back ups and in some cases the backups to the backups. Whilst also navigating injuries in other areas of the pitch, so it's not always as comparable.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
The pashun when we hit late winners against forest and wolves will be worth it though

You dont know the struggle though. When you play 7 defensive minded players on the pitch and you score, its the best feeling ever.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Guy has some really heavy defeats in his catalogue - at almost every club he's managed.

Extrapolating from what he did at other places is also flawed since he's already stated he's not trying to play here like he did elsewhere, so
False. He's not trying to play here like he did at Ajax. Just like he didn't play at Ajax like he did at Utrecht.

TsuWave

"he's stated he's not trying to play here like he did elsewhere"

"false. he's not trying to play here like he did elsewhere"

:confused:

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
The day Frank Lampard becemos United manager is the day I will quit football and its dead to me even the world cup.

Matt851

We don't look open because of the defensive injuries though, it's more because there is so much space between the lines. Carraghee summed it up by saying we play a high press and low block. That is tactical, and isn't necessarily solved by players coming back from injury

dabronxolivera

Supports
Al Hilal
We don't look open because of the defensive injuries though, it's more because there is so much space between the lines. Carraghee summed it up by saying we play a high press and low block. That is tactical, and isn't necessarily solved by players coming back from injury
This. Playing high press while defending with a low block simultaneously is just goddamn stupid. How on earth ETH thinks this will work is just a head scratcher. The best analogy I can give is like when you try to take a shit while you pee standing up. I mean it could probably work once in a while but the result will always be messy shit.

lex talionis

Some strange logic here. They haven't even got a DOF appointment done yet. Plenty of time to discuss / debate if Ten Hag's the guy.
We really don’t have “plenty of time”. We’ve proven over and over that dithering over what to do ends badly for us. I’m not saying this has to be decided in the next 24 hours, but if we wait until June to make this decision we will have to endure 24/25 as a lost season and whoever that manager is will be under immense pressure for the sack. The circus will continue and all we will have are the moronic merchandise deals from the club and the same old videos of how great United once were a generation ago.

Kingofwinners

From the options available Nagelsmann is probably the most sensible pick. No point in going down the De Zerbi route just yet until we've completely overhauled the squad. Imagine Bruno and Rashford trying to play possession football.
This is completly backwards. If we want to play possession football, then sell Bruno and Rashford hire the right manager, do some proper scouting and let’s start trying to make it happen. Otherwise what does a new manager under an immediate spotlight do? Invest more time effort and probably new players in the current style (whatever that is) or Ole ball. Then in a few years we are still in the same mediocre place. We need to be decisive now, if possession football is the vision then commit 100% to it now and look at every player and manager through that lens.

didz

This. Playing high press while defending with a low block simultaneously is just goddamn stupid. How on earth ETH thinks this will work is just a head scratcher. The best analogy I can give is like when you try to take a shit while you pee standing up. I mean it could probably work once in a while but the result will always be messy shit.
That's your best analogy??

Malons

He will lose his job because he wasn't strong enough to stand up to the egos in the dressing room. The second a player stops working hard, you drop them. You don't continue to let them rip the pee out of you, phoning in performance like they're a 47 year old Robbie Williams at Soccer Aid after a pint and a kebab, purely out of fear of the PR reprisals.

And it isn't one player, but it sets the tone for squad. He's been big enough to make examples of players due to off field issues but seldom for on field performances.

Like reality TV stars who get guaranteed book deals when they come out of 'the house' or leave 'the island' regardless of what actual literary talent they have, if you can not give a toss on the pitch and be 99.99% sure of the fact you're never, ever losing your place in the starting line up, then why would you improve? Your attitude stinks to begin with so self pride isn't presenting itself any time soon.

He's allowed that to permeate throughout the squad and that's entirely on him. Shame as I think he could have succeeded were he to have the balls to. I cannot remember the time a poor individual display in a match was responded to by someone losing their place.

Injuries? Off field issue? Sure. But so many players have been so dreadful for so long the fact you rarely ever see players lose their place because of their consistently poor form from whistle to whistle, is a massive issue with his management for me.

Last edited:

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
He will lose his job because he wasn't strong enough to stand up to the egos in the dressing room. The second a player stops working hard, you drop them. You don't continue to let them rip the pee out of you, phoning in performance like they're a 47 year old Robbie Williams at Soccer Aid after a pint and a kebab, purely out of fear of the PR reprisals.

And it isn't one player, but it sets the tone for squad. He's been big enough to make examples of players due to off field issues but seldom for on field performances.

Like reality TV stars who get guaranteed book deals when they come out of 'the house' or leave 'the island' regardless of what actual literary talent they have, if you can not give a toss on the pitch and be 99.99% sure of the fact you're never, ever losing your place in the starting line up, then why would you improve? Your attitude stinks to begin with so self pride isn't presenting itself any time soon.

He's allowed that to permeate throughout the squad and that's entirely on him. Shame as I think he could have succeeded were he to have the balls to. I cannot remember the time a poor individual display in a match was responded to by someone losing their place.

Injuries? Off field issue? Sure. But so many players have been so dreadful for so long the fact you rarely ever see players lose their place because of their consistently poor form from whistle to whistle, is a massive issue with his management for me.
He got rid of the biggest ego on the planet in Ronaldo, took the captaincy off Maguire, got Sancho out. So not dealing with egos isn't entirely true. This summer will tell if either he or the club will deal with the rest of the egos.

Malons

He got rid of the biggest ego on the planet in Ronaldo, took the captaincy off Maguire, got Sancho out. So not dealing with egos isn't entirely true. This summer will tell if either he or the club will deal with the rest of the egos.
Players are putting in the performance equivalent of sticking their willy on his shoulder behind his back and pouring a beer over his head to try to humiliate him and they're still the first names on the team sheet. He deals with egos, he doesn't deal with those who clearly through their attitude on the pitch, do not respect him or the club.

There is no performance standard low enough for him to remove someone from the team. Given how poor we've been, that by itself is astonishing and probably untenable. He isn't responsible for players downing tools. He is responsible for the players that have downed tools being the first name on the team sheet every week. And I don't get it. It's why we're such a fragile team, defeated when we fall behind and struggle to keep our head above water when we get in front and have habit of capitulating in the final 15 minutes of games.

Nobody cares. Walk around the pitch, but as long as you set your alarm to be up in time to attend a team meeting you're immovable from the starting line up? Sorry I can't accept that.