Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 289 40.3%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 429 59.7%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Ole was a much bigger risk taker than ETH is. After all the money spent, we have gone back to playing a worse version of Ole ball.

And this is coming from someone that never wanted Ole here full time
He has a feck ton of injuries and is still broadly churning out results in the new year.

When you have this many injuries I honestly can't give a feck how we play as long as we defend well, create enough and show effort and commitment. We are doing all of these things, and I'm fine with that given the circumstances.

CallyRed

Erik post match bingo:

We created a lot of chances
We stuck to the plan
We have made progress
Heh

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Like 0-3 Bournemouth back in dec?
Yeah, if Bournemouth weren't a team battling relegation. Ole had more form for it, got smashed 4-1 by a bottom of the side Watford in his final game.

Iowa Red

I spent more time browsing the cafe during the second half compared to watching the actual match. The banter here is more entertaining than what is happening on the pitch.

Last edited:

Born2Lose

How is this any different to Solskjaer, other than Ole was more likeable? We're moments FC, playing an even worse version of counterattacking football, minus a midfield.

How can anyone look at this football and think yeah, Ten Hag will eventually be standing in old Trafford lifting Premier league and champions league trophies? No one can be that deluded surely
This is worse than Ole, we went to Newport County, 16th in League 2 and they gave us a game with the first team out. He should have been sacked after the 7-0 loss to a struggling Liverpool side last year.

Ten Hag gets more grace because he was the internet hipster choice, and just like Sancho the guy's flopped hard.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Eh? Do you read my posts properly?

I see Ole styles of late, but ten hag is resorting to it when he's at his worst, whereas this style of football is Ole at his best. That's my point
The difference here is more our commitment and effort levels, and organisation in the back 4 is way better than Ole when he was at his lows.

criticalanalysis

When we will finally get a manager, who actually wants to keep the ball and can coach some semblance of a consistent strategy and style? :(

Every game is like torture for all the faith we've shown you last season. The ONLY upside is that I look at Arteta/Arsenal and that we've all failing to see genius turn around.

Shark

@NotShark
He has a feck ton of injuries and is still broadly churning out results in the new year.

When you have this many injuries I honestly can't give a feck how we play as long as we defend well, create enough and show effort and commitment. We are doing all of these things, and I'm fine with that given the circumstances.
He had Casemiro, Mctomminay and Mainoo in midfield and still Everton could have had 3-4 goals today, on another day. We couldn't even score in open play against this Everton side. He's not the guy to get this club back to the top, surely you don't believe we're winning titles under him.

Robbie Boy

Ten Hag gets more grace because he was the internet hipster choice, and just like Sancho the guy's flopped hard.
Ole got far more 'grace'. ETH has been hammered all season.

He's likely only kept his job because of the takeover.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
He had Casemiro, Mctomminay and Mainoo in midfield and still Everton could have had 3-4 goals today, on another day. We couldn't even score in open plsy against this Everton side. He's not the guy to get this club back to the top, surely you don't believe we're winning titles under him.
He also has big problems in defence and up front. The game tends to be played all over the park in case you didn't know.

mu4c_20le

Yeah, if Bournemouth weren't a team battling relegation. Ole had more form for it, got smashed 4-1 by a bottom of the side Watford in his final game.
I still dont know how ten hag survived december

RomfordRed75

Today was the final straw for me. Outplayed by an absolutely terrible Everton side. They walked through the midfield time after time. They had 23 shots ffs!!!!
Shockingly bad today.

Acquire Me

Well done. Everton never dangerous for us. That is how we win matches without any hassel. On to the next one :)

Robbie Boy

Today was the final straw for me. Outplayed by an absolutely terrible Everton side. They walked through the midfield time after time. They had 23 shots ffs!!!!
Shockingly bad today.
It might be the last straw for you but suck it up as he's going nowhere until the end of the season at the very least.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Ole got far more 'grace'. ETH has been hammered all season.

He's likely only kept his job because of the takeover.
Hel probably get around the same points as Klopp did last year despite having worse injuries.

Proper hammered all season, Ten Hag :lol:

Shark

@NotShark
He also has big problems in defence and up front. The game tends to be played all over the park in case you didn't know.
He does, Hojilund obviously a big miss. Martinez and Shaw also. Not denying that, but he had more than enough the field today to stop the ridiculous amounts of shots against us every single game. Surely you agree with that.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Overseeing some of absolute worst football I’ve seen in 40 years of supporting this club.

He’s absolutely useless.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
The likes of Shaw and Rashford at the start of EtH tenure were much better players than when they made debuts under LvG.

So if you give manager most of the credit for player improvement as you do for EtH then Ole, LvG and JM did well to improve them.

and it should work both ways - then EtH should be critiqued heavily for such a rapid decline of Rashford this season. Otherwise why he gets credit when players are improving or playing well but when they are playing badly or stagnating it is their or someone else’s fault
Rashford's best season by far was with ETH last year. Shaw has been great when available but injury,

Of course he has had his failures too. Sancho imploded. Rashford is much worse. Martial is still a fail. These things are not going o go in a straight line. But overall his record is far better than most. Even Maguire looks decent most days now.

His big failures for me are chasing Antony, agreeing to Mount (doubt he wanted him) and most of all, overtraining tired players. We oonly look good when the best 11 are playing. These are on him. If he gets sacked at the end of season he has to take some of the blame. But overall I want to keep him because these are also structural problems..

RomfordRed75

It might be the last straw for you but suck it up as he's going nowhere until the end of the season at the very least.
Fully expecting him to stay until the end of the season, but they have to make a change in the summer.
This is the worst United footballing side I've seen in 40+ years.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
He does, Hojilund obviously a big miss. Martinez and Shaw also. Not denying that, but he had more than enough the field today to stop the ridiculous amounts of shots against us every single game. Surely you agree with that.
I don't care about shots if a bulk of those are low quality. How many of the 23 shots were actual chances?

Generally speaking though I certainly expect sides to shoot more when they see a cb at LB and a 38 year old CB retreating deep.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Of course the medical staff are at least partly to blame, given that the decision was made based on their incorrect assessments of the health of Shaw and Malacia.
How do you know that they made an incorrect assessment? You do realize that a medical staff can't predict relapses, they can give you a best case scenario or an average recovery time but they can't tell you how things will 100% develop. And that's the point that I tried to make, the quote and some of the interpretations make next to zero sense, doctors are not oracles.

To be clear. When a medical staff tells you that a normal recovery for a particular condition is 6 months, they are not telling you that you will be fine in 6 months, they are giving you the typical recovery time. At an individual level that assessment never stops and the recovery time can be shorter or longer depending on each individual. Which is why I stated that unless, the player is actually fit, you can't assume that his recovery time will be over at a particular time.

Malone_Post

The lack of ambition is staggering.

stevoc

Of course he can. He did much better and so did the team last season. Everyone was singing his praises after the cup win. He hasn’t just become a bad manager over night. We have extenuating circumstances this year and I very much hope he gets at least next season to show what he can do with proper support.
If we're being honest we've been quite poor to awful since that Cup win. Which at least poses the question were the first few months good form of his reign just down to a new managers bounce?

mu4c_20le

Not being thumped by relegation sides and battling big injuries may have helped.
Bournemouth are a relegation side and also losses to West ham and Forest.

Actually i can answer my own question... the heroic 0-0 draw at anfield gave him just enough credit

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Hel probably get around the same points as Klopp did last year despite having worse injuries.

Proper hammered all season, Ten Hag :lol:
You're talking results whilst most of the complaints are on the performances.

It's all good grinding out games when you've got injuries, but when you've had the injuries all season you should be able to adjust to it and not be allowing 20 shots against you every single game.

Malone_Post

Left back is the most important position on the field. You can't pass the ball or keep possession or create clear cut chances without a LB.

You should know that.
Unless you have your first XI out on the field with no injuries or suspensions you cannot possibly judge a manager. Expecting him to play good football with squad players? Don’t be ridiculous!

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Bournemouth are a relegation side and also losses to West ham and Forest.

Actually i can answer my own question... the heroic 0-0 draw at anfield gave him just enough credit
Bournemouth are not a relegation side. They are 12th in the league.

Liverpool almost dropped points at Forrest last week, who gives a feck? I'm not saying ten hag Is utterly perfect. I'm saying his low is no way near Oles low. That's pretty damn obvious, given his results despite the injuries.

stevoc

Agreed. Case in point, the idea that questioning the manager means you're not a real or a "worthy" fan:
Yep textbook example of it, getting angry and taking any slight towards the manager personally and then lashing out. You'll also see a lot of other signs of manager cult worship. For instance the minute a manager starts struggling the fingers start getting pointed at everyone but the manager. The club/board/CEO etc as well as the players are all out to get the manager (for reasons that are never explained) and the current manager is a noble hero holding back the tide of incompetence and toxicity, anything positive that does happen is down to him and him alone.

I've seen it time and time again now since SAF retired. I used to even get caught up in it myself.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

This is fine, but he is a limited manager and this became obvious last year, without injures. Our run in last year was awful.

His squad management is poor too, he ran some players into the ground last year. I don't buy all those injuries are just bad luck

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
You're talking results whilst most of the complaints are on the performances.

It's all good grinding out games when you've got injuries, but when you've had the injuries all season you should be able to adjust to it and not be allowing 20 shots against you every single game.
If you expect dominant performances with this many injuries it's a you problem. Managers that would do better simply aren't out there. I'd love to see what the latest fashionable manager does with Lindelof as CB and evans needing to fill in, whilst hojlund is injured along side a host of key defenders.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
This is fine, but he is a limited manager and this became obvious last year, without injures. Our run in last year was awful.

His squad management is poor too, he ran some players into the ground last year. I don't buy all those injuries are just bad luck
Last season he got top 3 and two cup finals winning one cup, and a very impressive win %.

Limited managers don't do that. Nothing in his career up until this season has been limited. In fact he's broadly outperformed almost every season up until this one.

eire-red

Do you believe the performances from the 11 that started today and last week are the absolute limits to their potential?

Has Eth every managed to get the best out of this squad as a collective for a period in his approaching 2 seasons here?

Blood Mage

We approach every game like a team fighting relegation. No intention of establishing control or dominating the midfield, just waiting for the opponent to make mistakes and countering.

stevoc

Nothing to lose? This is Manchester United, we should never take a 'nothing to lose' approach. And actually there's a lot to lose. If they stick behind him and he continues with the last 18 months of shit football then the fans will turn on Ineos quickly.
:lol:

It's madness isn't it? Let's just write off next season before it's even started just so Erik Ten Hag can see out his contract and we don't have to sack him.