Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 304 41.1%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 435 58.9%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

NK86

Eh? Do you read my posts properly?

I see Ole styles of late, but ten hag is resorting to it when he's at his worst, whereas this style of football is Ole at his best. That's my point
The difference here is more our commitment and effort levels, and organisation in the back 4 is way better than Ole when he was at his lows.
Eth near his best got smashed 7-0 by Liverpool. Plus this is not Ole at his best. Under Ole at least our counter attacking was lethal, while currently it is patchy at best. We are awful at managing possession under any sort of pressure. In terms of injuries there are 3 positions that are affected by it. Are we saying that means the football will go to shite because of first choice players not being available in 3 positions in the team?

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Nothing to lose? This is Manchester United, we should never take a 'nothing to lose' approach. And actually there's a lot to lose. If they stick behind him and he continues with the last 18 months of shit football then the fans will turn on Ineos quickly.
I can't believe how low the bar is. All for a manager that's not even that good

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
The end of the season cannot come more quickly. Our football is currently as bad as anything since Winter 2015.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Do you believe the performances from the 11 that started today and last week are the absolute limits to their potential?

Has Eth every managed to get the best out of this squad as a collective for a period in his approaching 2 seasons here?
I think our defence were very organised off the ball and did great work in that department. But on the ball they were poor - which I'd expect for players being out of position, or not having an established chemistry with each other.

I think Garnacho had a strong game, Rashford was alright-ish but that's basically his career. Bruno and McTominay were alright enough. I don't really see anyone chronically underperforming today BAR Casemiro who played drunk for 30 minutes.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Bournemouth are not a relegation side. They are 12th in the league.

Liverpool almost dropped points at Forrest last week, who gives a feck? I'm not saying ten hag Is utterly perfect. I'm saying his low is no way near Oles low. That's pretty damn obvious, given his results despite the injuries.
We lost 7-0 to Liverpool under ETH mate. No United manager post Fergie has had a catastrophic low like that.

Robbie Boy

Fully expecting him to stay until the end of the season, but they have to make a change in the summer.
This is the worst United footballing side I've seen in 40+ years.
He'll definitely be here until the summer. Whether he's here next season seems kind of up in the air, but I'm leaning towards him not being here.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
We lost 7-0 to Liverpool under ETH mate. No United manager post Fergie has had a catastrophic low like that.
And a 7-0 loss doesnt get you sacked in isolation. Players not running, not showing any belief and bad form for extended periods does.

Malone_Post

I'm saying his low is no way near Oles low.
We were 7th in the league when Ole was sacked. 6 points behind 4th & still in the CL
We’re currently 6th. Potentially 11 points behind 4th & out of the CL.

Both seasons are unacceptable for a club of United’s size.

Based Adnan

28 games in the league and a goal difference of 0

How the feck are people still in his corner?!

RedRover

I didn’t say another manager couldn’t do better, I said it’s hard to objectively rate our managers when they are having to navigate such below par standards and the teams we are trying to match or surpass give their managers a better run at things. Spending helps when it’s spent well but we never spend well. This idea that ETH transfer Involvement is a huge problem ignores the fact we’ve has issues for a long time with our transfer policy.

I can see how poor we are playing , even today. But we are missing half our defence and don’t have a striker on the pitch. Maybe we could be doing better but at this stage I think results Trump performances until end of season. That won’t be good enough next season, particularly if ETH is retained (which looks unlikely).
I'd say it's hard to objectively judge any manager. Every clubs is run differently, with different budgets and different constraints and structures. Managers take on a job and inherit a squad. It's not an exact science. You can see managers doing well though - O'Neil and Emery stand out in the PL this year. Di Zerbi and Howe last year. They seem to have built a tight nit squad and (perhaps some more than others) have a recognisable system they're trying to employ. They're not elite managers, but they're improving their teams and it's visible on the pitch.

Ten Hag has been given at least some of the players he wanted and he seemingly wanted control over that. I don't see how a poor previous transfer record at the club absolves him of blame if those players aren't good enough, or he can't get them to perform in the system he envisioned.

Injuries have clearly been a major issue and that's not his fault, but even when we have the bulk of the first team available (as we have had at times this season) there's no obvious improvement.

To be honest, I'd personally have less of an issue if there was some kind of obvious direction of travel; a system or style forming that looked like it might work if given more time. In recent weeks the tactical decisions baffle me. I'm far from an expert in football, but I don't understand how conceding the ball to any team we play is a tactic with any potential.

Robbie Boy

28 games in the league and a goal difference of 0

How the feck are people still in his corner?!
13th is how far you have to go to find a team who have scored fewer than us.

ETH has had his challenges but this season has been absolutely atrocious.

miliebrowndivorceattorney

Good game, good tactics. Everton sniffed a bit but no real danger. The defense was solid.

Personally I don't really care against LFC cup game next week, they are just a bit too high with much better players with many of our stars still not back. I hope we win but probably not.

After the break we should have Mount, Malacia, Martinez, AWB, Hojlund back. Should make us give a decent run at the top 5. Who knows, Villa isn''t playing the best and Spurs being Spurs, well. Fingers crossed. Do Villa and Spurs play against eachother? A draw would be nice.

All in all Ten Hag is going to make the end of the season, no doubt. 5 wins out of 8 PL games since january 1st. April is going to have some nice games though. Chelsea, LFC, Arsenal. Bring it on. Looking forward to it.

el3mel

Still struggling to find a single reason why Ten Hag has such a fanbase among our fans. Some here are defending him as if him staying at the club means to them more than the club actually doing well. Guy has no previous connection to the club, is no ex-legend and even as a manager the best he has given the club is a League Cup trophy, yet you look at some posts here and the way some are supporting him is as if they're desperate for the club to succeed under no one bar him.

It's understandable for a club legend like Ole to have such kind of support. I can see why many will be desperate for a club legend to keep managing the club regardless of the results and were desperate for the club to succeed under him, but to do this for a foreign manager with zero connection to the club is so bizarre.

Anyway, I skipped today's game looking at the stats and the way we scored, doesn't seem I missed much. I haven't following United regularly for the last 3 months or so. Ten Hag was the final nail in the coffin for my interest in Man United. I just can't be bothered anymore. The interest was dying under Ole then Ralf but Ten Hag killed it completely.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
We were 7th in the league when Ole was sacked. 6 points behind 4th & still in the CL

We outright stopped bothered to play football under Ole. Players didn't run, belief was utterly gone and we didnt look close to getting that CL spot. That's not the case with Ten Hag, like it or lump it.

Robbie Boy

If it wasn't for the takeover I'm pretty sure ETH would be gone.

Abhinav

Week in week out we are served this dross. Can’t wait for this season to end. Reminds me of the dark LVG days where all hope was sucked out of me for the team.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I actually love that even when we win games we have wound up fans trying to wish our manager gets axed :lol:

Superden

Shane Warne said about Montey panesar that he's not played 33 tests, he's played the same one 33 times. And it nailed him. You can say the same about ETH, complete lack of imagination and no progress in tactics between games or within games..

Malone_Post

We outright stopped bothered to play football under Ole. Players didn't run, belief was utterly gone and we didnt look close to getting that CL spot. That's not the case with Ten Hag, like it or lump it.
As opposed to the scintillating brand of football we’ve spent the last two years playing under ETH? This is as dour and boring as anything we’ve seen since the LVG days. An utter mess with no plan or cohesion.

And that’s exactly the case under ETH. We don’t have a hope in hell of getting a CL spot this season.

mancsarered

It's hard to imagine being worse in possession, which was supposed to be his specialty. He's got to go.

stevoc

Sorry, is your argument that there is an excuse for every single game lost?
If so you're just exaggerating for the nth time this season. There are games on Ten Hag, there are games of bad injuries.

By the way, we haven't played Newcastle at home.
Not in the League no, they beat us 3-0 at Old Trafford in the League Cup.

Robbie Boy

I actually love that even when we win games we have wound up fans trying to wish our manager gets axed :lol:
This isn't new though? Same happened with Jose and Ole. A win here and there isn't going to change peoples opinions, especially a win when we play as poorly as we did today, and rightly so. Nothing worse than people flip-flopping between opinions.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
It’s great winning and I think obviously everyone hopes we win every match but when you concede over 130 shots in 6 games, playing an Everton who haven’t won in about eleven games and still watch them have chance after chance against us and us looking to be unable to truly take control of the match or even counter with any kind of real threat I thinks it’s fair for some to huff and say oh well we were shit but we got the points

L1nk

Because it’s a “seeing the bigger picture” thing. The football is diabolical and we cant even control games against the likes of Everton, it’s not sustainable. The same people were saying the same things about Ole and were also being laughed at, and look what happened.

Everybody should want to and be happy to win of course, wanting to lose is dumb, but lets not bury our heads in the sand and say we are an amazing football team to watch, we are shocking and its not like it’s one offs, we are terrible in general

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
As opposed to the scintillating brand of football we’ve spent the last two years playing under ETH? This is as dour and boring as anything we’ve seen since the LVG days. An utter tumescent mess with no plan or cohesion.
We were fine last season, just not great in the final third of the season. For a debut season it was very good.
And we aren't scintillating this season but at least we can bounce back with results and show commitment and effort. That was not the case for Ole in his final year, so I think the point I've made is clear.
And that’s exactly the case under ETH. We don’t have an hope in hell of getting a CL spot this season.
Good amount of BS there, considering Villa play Spurs this weekend and both clubs are yet to play City again too.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Because it’s a “seeing the bigger picture” thing.
You're not Nostradamus or seeing something wider, it's actually the opposite of that with moaning about playing style when his squad is absolutely tattered and needing a revamp.

dubplate warrior

How is this any different to Solskjaer, other than Ole was more likeable? We're moments FC, playing an even worse version of counterattacking football, minus a midfield.

How can anyone look at this football and think yeah, Ten Hag will eventually be standing in old Trafford lifting Premier league and champions league trophies? No one can be that deluded surely
Exactly how I feel.

Abhinav

Can you honesty say that any of the games we have won have given you anything other than massive relief at the final whistle? Has there been more than a handful of games where you can say I am proud of the way we played?

eire-red

I think our defence were very organised off the ball and did great work in that department. But on the ball they were poor - which I'd expect for players being out of position, or not having an established chemistry with each other.

I think Garnacho had a strong game, Rashford was alright-ish but that's basically his career. Bruno and McTominay were alright enough. I don't really see anyone chronically underperforming today BAR Casemiro who played drunk for 30 minutes.
Fair enough, respect your view. For me, I would just say you've quoted mostly individual performances.

As a collective, our posession, passes in oppo third, shots, chances created and how easy we are to play against is nowhere near the required standard, regardless of injuries in my opinion.