Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 534 53.0%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 474 47.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

E-mal

Ive clearly watched us for many years more than you. Also clearly less emotionally driven
That is an arrogant post, you have made assumption that you are older than a random bloke on the internet.

We have never been this open, never and that is a fact. There is a reason those shots on goal stats are been talked about this season because they only happened this season.

This man is on course for a worse season than under Ragnick and Moyes, it takes some doing

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
We've had periods of being equally open maybe yeah, but I honestly cannot remember a full season where every game it looks like we could easily concede 3 or 4.

I can't even remember the last clean sheet we had
Agreed, I'm trying to help Cassidy.

The Hilton

Martinez? Casemiro? Højlund? That gives you six starters, as well as several squad players. I’m not being snarky, at one point is it ETH’s squad? No manager can expect to be able to sign 11 starters within a couple of seasons.
Martinez was a pivot after we missed out on Timber, Casemiro was a club signing already lined up that we pivoted to after FDJ didn't work out, Højlund was obviously down the list after Kane and while a huge prospect isn't ready to lead the line for us.

I agree that no manager can expect to sign 11 starters so quickly, but that still doesn't make it his squad, or even close to it. He hasn't done well enough with the squad he's got this season, I'm not disputing that, but this obviously isn't the dream team he's assembled to implement his system, it's a mish-mash of players he wants, stopgaps, and legacy.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
Again, it doesn't matter after which minute we were poor. It was disgraceful to give up a 3-0 lead to the draw the game at 90 minutes.
Huge unfortunate deflection.

Really soft penalty call which VaR refused to overturn ( even though we were given a penalty in the same circumstances).

Im not saying we played well for the last 20 mins, clearly our heads had gone after the first goal conceded- it became a self fulfilling prophecy, but a huge amount of luck was needed for Coventry to score, let alone equalise and if that penalty wasn’t given we win in normal time and there is none of this drama.

Telsim

I don't mind his reaction. Anyone who gives it back to journalists is fine by me
Me, too. I'm surprised to see he is getting shit on for it.

Sure, we as fans on a forum can be unhappy with the performance, but the ABU media are riding it as if we'd lost. Which we didn't. But they smell blood and gleefully add to the toxicity. No other club would be held to a standard such as this. I'm not really following the scum, but I'm not seeing nearly the same reaction to their humiliation at the hands of Atalanta, which is significantly more embarrassing to.. you know, actually winning?

feck the media.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
We've had periods of being equally open maybe yeah, but I honestly cannot remember a full season where every game it looks like we could easily concede 3 or 4.

I can't even remember the last clean sheet we had
That is why its best to remove the emotion from it and view the hard facts. Statistically this is not the worst defensive season at all as @Jev suggested.

Bringing up clean sheets this season also wouldn’t help the case

Rista

Martinez was a pivot after we missed out on Timber, Casemiro was a club signing already lined up that we pivoted to after FDJ didn't work out, Højlund was obviously down the list after Kane and while a huge prospect isn't ready to lead the line for us.

I agree that no manager can expect to sign 11 starters so quickly, but that still doesn't make it his squad, or even close to it. He hasn't done well enough with the squad he's got this season, I'm not disputing that, but this obviously isn't the dream team he's assembled to implement his system, it's a mish-mash of players he wants, stopgaps, and legacy.
No manager on the planet can expect to sign his 11 starters ever. This is just ridiculous talk.

JPRouve

Scout

The thing I don't understand about this is when has Ten Hag ever had his squad anywhere in his career? How many managers are ever in that position?

Amir

Getting a manager's second choice doesn't make it any less his choice.

Jev

That is why its best to remove the emotion from it and view the hard facts. Statistically this is not the worst defensive season at all as @Jev suggested.

Bringing up clean sheets this season also wouldn’t help the case
Depends which stats you’re looking at. Some of them will tell you we’re conceding shots and chances like never before. Watching our games will tell you opponents are carving us open at a frequency rarely seen at this level.

Cassidy

That is an arrogant post, you have made assumption that you are older than a random bloke on the internet.

We have never been this open, never and that is a fact. There is a reason those shots on goal stats are been talked about this season because they only happened this season.

This man is on course for a worse season than under Ragnick and Moyes, it takes some doing
Ive made an assumption that I have checked that stats for more seasons than @Jev who made a false claim about statistics of previous season vs this one

AndySmith1990

"Top football is about results" says the conman who finished bottom of an easy CL group and is barely hanging onto 7th in the league.
He's become quite defensive lately. He can't handle any criticism despite deserving plenty of it

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
He's become quite defensive lately. He can't handle any criticism despite deserving plenty of it
He is just making excuses, hopefully he is more critical of performance than what he says in PC.

Says shots conceded doesn't matter, only goals matter. I thought we hired progressive manager but ended up with stone age coach.

Cassidy

By my count we conceded 69 goals in 49 games in 21/22

This season so far we've conceded 74 in 45 games.
I was going by the league where we conceded 57 goals in 38 games
a season where we conceded 9 in two games vs Liverpool and we constantly looked like conceding goals.

Djemba-Djemba

a season where we conceded 9 in two games vs Liverpool and we constantly looked like conceding goals.
Well we don't just play League football in a season do we?

We've conceded more goals this season in less games than 21/22. There's some hard facts for you.

Also that bolded bit, you don't think we constantly look like conceding goals this season?

K Stand Knut

If he's just being judged on results it's hardly over the top. Judged on results he's lucky he's still got a job.
I disagree.

The media can be OTT whilst also deserving g criticism.

A lot of people have very, very short memories . Approximately 12 months ago, Klopp was having an equally shit season and Liverpool were struggling massively with injuries, similar to our plight this season and the media reaction was one of pity towards him/them and crediting the job he was doing despite the injuries.

Fast forward 12-months and the media reports are the complete opposite despite where our squad is currently at.

I think the end result is inevitable and Ten Hag’s comments give me the feeling that he now knows it too so he’s just going at the media because he sees their BS for what it is, general BS.

Like I’ve said, I have no huge issue with his comments to the media because they are fecking cnuts on the whole. My issues is that he should be tearing in to the players and doing something different about it and be won’t, hence why I think he’ll lose his job

Jev

So if you only look at a select few stats, and only in one tournament, you can prove that there was one season where we were equally bad defensively as this season, albeit while still conceding fewer shots and chances.

Apparently not less emotionally driven, just more arrogant.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
Huge unfortunate deflection.

Really soft penalty call which VaR refused to overturn ( even though we were given a penalty in the same circumstances).

Im not saying we played well for the last 20 mins, clearly our heads had gone after the first goal conceded- it became a self fulfilling prophecy, but a huge amount of luck was needed for Coventry to score, let alone equalise and if that penalty wasn’t given we win in normal time and there is none of this drama.
Are you guys United fans or just some random folks on the internet who found a site with decent traffic and thought let's kill some time here?

Teams create their own "luck". It's surprising that a United fan would argue that. We are a club famous for last minute goals, the "Famous Fergie time winners". Those didn't happen because we got "Lucky", those happened because we created those situation by throwing caution to the wind and going for it. Coventry did the same from a hopeless situation. They went for it without fear. They created attack after attack on our goal and we crumbled as our manager in his almost two years here hasn't been able to coach our team on how to control and see out games. The style of play that he has adopted here brings on those situations as we play with huge gaps in the midfield that allows the opposition space through the middle and makes it easy for them to put our defense and goal keeper under pressure. When your goal in under constant pressure, it's inevitable that the opposition is going to find a way through. And sometimes, it's going to come from deflections or penalties.

The issue we have is that we do not have the ability to control games. Our players are coached to play this chaotic style of football with unsystematic pressing & low percentage passes, which gives the opposition opportunities to win or intercept the ball in dangerous areas. It is what caused us problem in the last game, and has throughout the season.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I don't think he's realised he's contradicted himself there. All season long, after every poor result, he's brushed over the results saying there were promising signs with the performances themselves. Now, after the Coventry implosion, it's wrong to look at the performance because, at the top level, it's the results that matter.

Marcelinho87

No fan of the football and quite likely EtH out myself now BUT..... He can't win here can he? He doesn't say anything and he's weak or a coward and should speak up against the media or he does say something and he's lost the plot or become unlikeable.

This place is as of the rails as RAWK or bluemoon these days.

BarstoolProphet

Such a weird hill to die on. Add the arrogant response to the ones disagreeing with you and all you can come up with is a selected part of that season to back up your claim.

Cassidy

So if you only look at a select few stats, and only in one tournament, you can prove that there was one season where we were equally bad defensively as this season, albeit while still conceding fewer shots and chances.

Apparently not less emotionally driven, just more arrogant.
Comparable tournaments yes. League football for me is the best way to evaluate season performance.

Still comparably we were not far more open than ever this season

Jev

Comparable tournaments yes. League football for me is the best way to evaluate season performance.

Still comparably we were not far more open than ever this season
That sounds like an eye test. I thought we were supposed to stick to the hard facts? But of course you’re able to judge our performances without emotions.

Djemba-Djemba

That sounds like an eye test. I thought we were supposed to stick to the hard facts? But of course you’re able to judge our performances without emotions.
If stats back him up they're hard facts.

If stats don't back him up they're best to be ignored or written off as pure emotion.

:lol:

Cassidy

No the stats show that. We conceded more goals that season but not far more.

Ronaldo's Love Child

ETH just cannot read the room when it comes to public perception (especially United fans) of his team. Dismissing the media's criticism of United dismisses the posssibility that the media often reflect the feelings of many United fans.

If football was "only about results" then WTF are we in 7th place in the league?

hobbers

Love how that % number just keeps creeping back up. Would create a beautiful oscillatory pattern around each game if you tracked it.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
If I was a rival fan, I'd be loving this and wanting him to stay as long as possible. That usually tells you what needs to happen.

JPRouve

Scout
No fan of the football and quite likely EtH out myself now BUT..... He can't win here can he? He doesn't say anything and he's weak or a coward and should speak up against the media or he does say something and he's lost the plot or become unlikeable.

This place is as of the rails as RAWK or bluemoon these days.
He isn't supposed to win and the only thing he should have said was "We played poorly and should do better in the future". The press rightfully wanted his opinion about a performance that could be seen as embarrassing and he first suggested that people should celebrate the performance/result and now he is suggesting that the reaction from the outside is embarrassing and disgraceful.

If the performance was remotely acceptable he may have a point but on this case it wasn't.