Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 568 54.1%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 482 45.9%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

stevoc

He sounds more and more like his head has gone and he knows he's finished here. The embargoed quotes especially.

Talking about his individual record as a manager and claiming making a cup final is a big over achievement, it's all quite Mourinho like. Yes we beat Liverpool on the way to the final and that is by far and away the best moment of the season but the other teams we've faced are Wigan, Newport County, Nottingham Forest and Coventry. It's not some out of this world success to have made the final when that's the route.

Also claiming the reason some utd fans aren't happy with this season is because we listen to critical opinions, I mean that's just bollocks. We've been an utter fecking shambles all season, you could have gone all year without reading or listening to any pundit or journalist and still know we've been appalling just by watching the games and seeing the results.

He also says this is the first time we've made the FA Cup final two years running which is just not true. We were in the final in 76 and 77, 2004 and 2005, we did it 3 years running in 94, 95 and 96. I know it's not a big deal but it's weird nobody has corrected him because he claimed the same thing on Sunday.
Haven't seen the quotes but getting to a cup final isn't much of an achievement for a club the size of Manchester United. Unless you win it of course, then that is an achievement.

stevoc

Overperforming? What? :lol:

When you think about it though he's sort of right, without the players individual talent turning some games our way. We probably would be in the bottom half of the table with the way we are setup to play.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Overperforming? What? :lol:

When you think about it though he's sort of right, without the players individual talent turning some games our way. We probably would be in the bottom half of the table with the way we are setup to play.
Yes, it's usually deflection tactics.

I'm so fed up of these self serving shit coaches who just speak nonsense to defend their shit record.

croadyman

I really don’t get him. He doesn’t appear to value dominating and control over football matches - constantly harping about effective and unlucky we are, taking about rubbish performances as if they were good. Standards start from the top and it seems ETH has none.
Yeah having that ability to dominate and control matches should always be important,for some strange reason he just doesn't seem to value possession much.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Takes some nerve to tell the fans that they're being mislead by the press and we can't make our own opinions on football. Who the feck does this guy think he is? If anything the press were incredibly slow to pick up on the shit he served up. He's had an easy ride, much like Ole.

croadyman

He seems very confident to be honest. I think he will have been assured that he’s completely safe.
I really hope INEOS haven't given him any assurances then maybe we will get a decent performance or two before FA Cup Final but don't hold your breath

Last edited:

CM

Yes, it's usually deflection tactics.

I'm so fed up of these self serving shit coaches who just speak nonsense to defend their shit record.
Unfortunately the majority of coaches will end up doing this if they feel it's their head on the chopping block.

And many people are all too happy to lap it up because they're absolutely terrified by the mere suggestion of 'player power', regardless of context.

fallengt

I say it again. Rangsnick got it, you need best people in every position to fix this club. Simple statement yet no one seemed to get it. Mourinho, ETH, LvG all tried to fix it by themselves and lost their mind in the process.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Is this really what you’re like as a person? :lol: just constantly lashing out. brother I said “qualified people in established roles fail all the time” and your retort was “In respect of the frequency of audits, it is a few" and I’m confused cause surely you know that will be contextual. Like, for all means and purposes any performance review is an audit - do you walk around with percentage stats on how many football managerial audits and outcomes are proven to be right and correct decisions? You made the claim and I have to present percentages?
Il ignore the personal jibes, you're clearly trying to wind up which says a lot more about you than me.

True to form, you completely misunderstood a post. I didn't say that audits are full proof. I insinuated that audits made by well qualified people will be, beyond reasonable doubt, more likely to land on a more informed decision than what we, the fans think. This is because they will have a lot more information about the situation than we do.

Your point is so broken it's unreal. You're resting on an absolute number and not looking it as a % of all audits, claiming things out of your arse like "a lot of audits fail".

Theres a lot of car crashes every day, that doesn't mean people don't get into cars. What sort of nonsense logic do you have? :lol:

There’s all kinds of need for concern when a nonsensical stance such as “qualified people = trust the audit” is a line being pushed here. You know, a forum.

No angry replies, man. You fought a good fight, but it’s done. Ten Hag is a bust.
Ah so that's what it is. It's not actually the view that qualified people can be trusted for audits, it's more that you don't like it might give the manager another lifeline, and you want to say it's a bust..

Youve got issues mate, my audit point has feck all to do with Ten Hag. You are clearly obsessesed. I've constantly said I'm indifferent about him being sacked, and you think I'm misled about him being done. Can you actually follow posts properly? Serious question.

Again, there's no need for your concern. Nice attempt on a wind up, but your flawed logic and fake concern aren't really welcome.

Last edited:

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
No you don't understand, if the experienced and qualified professional does an audit that doesn't result in the manager I don't like being fired, then clearly he doesn't know what he's doing and is a fraud!
No, you don't understand. A qualified and credible appointment has a better chance of landing the right conclusion than you do.

Alpha 1

[QUOTE="roonster09, post:
[/QUOTE]
Sounds like he knows his time is up.

justsomebloke

He's really just destroying his own credibility with this aggressive pushing of a positive narrative no one believes in. Maybe he believes it himself.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
This was just posted in another thread but I thought it was worth mentioning here as, going by the opinions of the Caf at the time, people were talking as though Ajax were fantastic that season under him.

It also means that, in the last 2 and a half seasons, he's only managed to get a few good months of football out of his teams.

I think Ten Hags playing style was a little more pragmatic and dependent on the players available. For instance, his last half year at Ajax was very grim,we just about dragged ourselves to the championship and the level of play was very low.

OverratedOpinion

Impossible. This is the worst injury crisis in history, unprecedented in any league at any point ever, to any club, across any division in any country in any sports. We have had no healthy players at all. Zero.
That is a fair point now you say it.

Toshey

Supports
Levski Sofia
I'm not sure what to expect tonight.

I mean, if he starts Antony ahead of Amad, just sack him before kick off.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
This was just posted in another thread but I thought it was worth mentioning here as, going by the opinions of the Caf at the time, people were talking as though Ajax were fantastic that season under him.

It also means that, in the last 2 and a half seasons, he's only managed to get a few good months of football out of his teams.
I mentioned that before we signed him and to me it was actually a positive because I was convinced that he wouldn't be stubborn and happily move to whatever works for his current team. Boy was I wrong? :lol:

Alpha 1

Can those who still support Ten Hag please say so and justify. I'd like to know the reasons.

justsomebloke

I mentioned that before we signed him and to me it was actually a positive because I was convinced that he wouldn't be stubborn and happily move to whatever works for his current team. Boy was I wrong? :lol:
Well, in a way you weren't - he's proven to be pragmatic to a fault. Except for the "works" part, obviously.

leontas

He’s starting to sound like a guy who knows he’s leaving at the end of the season and is trying to save face so clubs still go for him.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Feels like yet another big night for him. Has the new management evaluating him, in theory easiest match of the season - at home - and the fans will be desperate for a performance.

No idea what people are expecting him to say with regards to the final. "Heh, yes to be honest I think given how we got here, it's a disgrace, the players and I are just embarassed really. Only doing better than all but one team in the country at this stage, it's just not good enough for Manchester United".

If you take (yet another) two AWB braindead moments, we'd all be saying how professional he navigated a tricky tie, despite huge injuries.

If we win the FA Cup final that is ALWAYS an achievement imo. There will always be at least another dozen premier league clubs who'd be happy enough with it.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Well, in a way you weren't - he's proven to be pragmatic to a fault. Except for the "works" part, obviously.
No. His refusal to problem solve means that he isn't pragmatic, at least not this season.

crossy1686

career ending
He’s starting to sound like a guy who knows he’s leaving at the end of the season and is trying to save face so clubs still go for him.
Yeah he's in self preservation mode now. Talking himself and his achievements up, distancing himself from failure with excuses. We saw he was in trouble as early as preseason and he's never addressed it. The guy is delusional.

TsuWave

That was an exaggeration, but that seems to be what you were alluding to - if Wilcox doesn't think Ten Hag has to go, then he's wrong and you're right. Pretty arrogant thinking.

Personally I'll accept whatever they decide, as long as there's a consistent target and approach beyond the manager then I'll feel we're moving in the right direction.
Despite the fact that I went out of my way to say that wasn’t what I was alluding to? The poster I quoted said we should trust the outcome of said audit and their reason for it boiled down to “because experienced people” - and I simply said experienced people get it wrong all the time/are not infallible, and concerns regarding the manager based on available and observable evidence don’t just disappear because Wilcox decides to carry on with them.

Though I’m guessing a commitment to trusting decision-making that’s at the very least questionable, because “experienced people”, isn’t completely out of form here and explains why some have been arguing in favour of a clearly underperforming manager for months.

If the decision is to keep him - what am I going to do besides posting “I’m not sure about this one”? That doesn’t mean I’m calling Wilcox a fraud or whatever you guys got heated about

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
Even though I want to see a replacement and voted for that, I don't have a very strong opinion on the matter (I think the injuries make a difference, even though it's not enough). I do however find it interesting that 1 in 4 still want to give him another season. It was basically 50/50 in November, so only half the people who voted to give him more time (myself included) have changed their opinion since then.

Laurencio

If he gets sacked here, he's probably going back to Ajax and will fade away into obscurity as a very successful manager in the Dutch league who occasionally gets his teams into the Champions League. This job breaks people, and no top club is going to take the risk that "it might be him that's the problem".

soapythecat

So, under what metric do we think he will get another season?
I can’t see Wilcox and Ashworth looking at us and thinking this is the right process.
Do they say he can stay but needs to change/adopt a different style of play?
Or, get rid.
Is there another option?
Even with fully fit squad he isn’t up to it so need tactical guidance.
His contract is an issue too. He will want a new contract before the start of the season and that could make him walk away maybe?
Really difficult situation for the club.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Liverpool, a more organised club with more time to prepare, are targeting the Aldi Ten Hag. The market is bad right now, which may still save Ten Hag.

justsomebloke

No. His refusal to problem solve means that he isn't pragmatic, at least not this season.
I think we can assume that he's trying to problem solve. If anything, it's hard to see any other reason than pragmatism why we're playing the way we're playing. It's not hard to see how that is in response to the strengths and limitations of the available players. We're presumably defending deep and narrow because that's what most of our defenders does best, and putting an extreme emphasis on quick transitions in the attack because that's what our attackers are best at. But it's not working. I'd have preferred a less pragmatic approach myself.