g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Should ETH be kept on or fired by INEOS

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
How dare somebody not share your views and parrot them endlessly!

Credit for being on course for our worst ever PL season?
You mean give the ETH fanbot running that twitter account credit for being so persistent with the bullshit?

Do you not think it's a bit embarrassing to keep contributing to this thread with tweets from someone who is a self confessed ETH stan and does not give a solitary shit about Manchester United?
Give him credit for what, potentially ending the season with negative GD and worst finish in the table since Fergie retired? :lol:
8th and shit football is a great result, all credit to him.
Sure a WUM, mods need to take note and begin looking out for such posts from this member.

Embarrassing post
Excuses FC
Can we finally ban this account for good? Constant cheerleading nonsense
He’s also had to deal with:
-400m in transfer funds to spend
-A forgiving fan base
-poor pre match preparation
-poor in game tactical changes and subs
-giving away 3 goal leads
-finishing bottom of a relatively easy CL group
-A +1 GD in the league
-An xGD which would have United closer to 15th in the league rather than 7th
-Conceded the most shots ever by a United team since 03-04 when they started tracking this stat and 18th in the PL
I've never known confirmation bias like it.

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel
Crazy to think he could still deliver 5th place and the FA cup, reality will be 8th and runners up medal in the cup.

Revan

Assumptionman
In player terms, Weghorst is at the end of his career. In managerial terms, Ten Hag has his prime ahead of him. Weghorst has had PL experience before he came to us, by the way.

Player comparisons are so shite. Should I say Vardy was crap because he peaked at 26/27 with a PL debut?
I am not saying that he won’t ever learn anything new, but he is basically the finished article. He is older than Pep, for crying out loud, older than Fergie after he had won his second title with us, as old as Ancelotti when he won his third UCL (and had his fourth UCL final), older than Mourinho when we hired him, you get my point. He is basically at the age when many top managers start declining, not at an age when promising managers start winning titles.

Of course, it doesn’t mean that he won’t ever win anything, the likes of Ranieri and Spalletti won their first league in their sixties. But in any profession of life, most people do their best work in twenties, thirties and fourties, while in fifties and thereafter it is more using their collected experience to do/continue doing great work. That is my point, this is not a manager who will now reinvent himself and drastically change the way he plays, more like a finished product who at best might refine parts of his game. And that is why the comparisons with Arteta are absurd, Arteta was basically a baby in terms of managers, so obviously he would be making massive mistakes while learning. It was his first managerial job, on his thirties. Very different to EtH now.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I am not saying that he won’t ever learn anything new, but he is basically the finished article.
Il cut you off right there. He isn't, because he's still learning and adapting to new big clubs. His first real big job was one year ago. Whether he started doing it 10 years later than Pep or Arteta is immaterial. Unless you want to be ageist, or course.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Il cut you off right there. He isn't, because he's still learning and adapting to new big clubs. His first real big job was one year ago. Whether he started doing it 10 years later than Pep or Arteta is immaterial. Unless you want to be ageist, or course.
So you are finally saying we can basically disregard his time at Ajax.

Blood Mage

Spurs fans are already turning on Postecoglu and yet there are still elements of our fanbase who are devoted to ETH. Some might say that this makes United fans a cut above the rest but I'd argue it's part of what holds the club back.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
So you are finally saying we can basically disregard his time at Ajax.
No, I'm saying the Dutch league isn't a big league.

Youl find a post from me saying that whilst it's not one of the top leagues, it didn't render his achievements completely irrelevant.

The worst thing about this ten hag out brigade is they're so fecking binary. Everything is either 0 or 1 with you, it's tiresome to even debate anything seriously.

stevoc

We have not been limp in attack since Jan the defensive shape yes thats been a consistent issue but we also know what the other obvious defensive issue has been
We haven't been good bowever you want to desribe it. We're boring to watch as well.

Revan

Assumptionman

Youl find a post from me saying that whilst it's not one of the top leagues, it didn't render his achievements completely irrelevant.

The worst thing about this ten hag out brigade is they're so fecking binary. Everything is either 0 or 1 with you, it's tiresome to even debate anything seriously.
Dude, you are the one who is taking about him like he is a McKenna, not a Guardiola in terms of experience. Just cause he was not good enough to manage in EPL, before he turned 52, it doesn’t make him a young manager.

Put it this way, he is more similar to a Rashford rather than a Garnacho. Similar to how you expect Garnacho to make mistakes while learning, you also expect mistakes from the likes of Arteta. But when it comes to Rashford or EtH, it is a bit more frustrating. They’ll probably finally turn out to be world-class, but more likely, this is as good as you’ll get from them.

Sarni

So in fact his achievements elsewhere are meaningful (end of the day they are the reason he was hired) but the experience is not hence he needs more time. Got it.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
So in fact his achievements elsewhere are meaningful (end of the day they are the reason he was hired) but the experience is not hence he needs more time. Got it.
No, that's not what I'm saying. Read posts better, and again try not to work in binary fashion.

The experience is not irrelevant, the achievement is not irrelevant. However Ten Hag got his first job in a big league at 50+. He did not have any experience in a big league prior to that and would need to learn and adapt to that all the same.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Dude, you are the one who is taking about him like he is a McKenna, not a Guardiola in terms of experience. Just cause he was not good enough to manage in EPL, before he turned 52, it doesn’t make him a young manager.

Put it this way, he is more similar to a Rashford rather than a Garnacho. Similar to how you expect Garnacho to make mistakes while learning, you also expect mistakes from the likes of Arteta. But when it comes to Rashford or EtH, it is a bit more frustrating. They’ll probably finally turn out to be world-class, but more likely, this is as good as you’ll get from them.
Eh? No I'm not. I'm saying he never had a big job in a top league before he came. This idea that he's the finished article is quite a lot of bollocks. He still has a lot of learning to do.

You're just clearly being ageist thinking the boat is missed becuase he never made a move earlier. Assuming he can't or won't learn or adapt because he's managed at Ajax and Go Ahead Eagles is a bit lazy.

sparx99

He is 52 and has been coaching for almost 15 years. While he might still learn (everyone in these top positions still learn), he is not a case of an up and coming manager who can reinvent himself. It will basically be, at best, polishing/refining aspects of his game.

Unlike say rookies like Arteta or De Zerbi who are still experimenting with their coaching.
ETH’s first year as a head coach was 2012-13. De Zerbi’s first year was 2013-14. Not really much difference except he’s won nothing as a coach.

Arteta obviously a bit less experienced having started in 2019 but he’s also won less than ETH.

Atheist

Trophies won like the Dutch League should be taken with a real pinch of salt. Frank De Boer also won 4 titles but got shown up in every other league. Our reference for measuring Ten Hag's performance is only in the PL. One decent season and one utterly embarrassing one. If you want to be a top club in modern football, the tolerance for failure must be really low. We've sacked nearly all of our managers post-Fergie too late. The ownership transition does affect the decision-making in this case, but the time is ticking.

Revan

Assumptionman
ETH’s first year as a head coach was 2012-13. De Zerbi’s first year was 2013-14. Not really much difference except he’s won nothing as a coach.

Arteta obviously a bit less experienced having started in 2019 but he’s also won less than ETH.
ETH has been coaching since 2006 though, just that it was in younger caregories and then assistant manager. De Zerbi went directly to manager but because of his lack of expertise, started on the fourth league (unlike EtH who started on the second league). He has far more experience than de Zerbi.

Sarni

Eh? No I'm not. I'm saying he never had a big job in a top league before he came. This idea that he's the finished article is quite a lot of bollocks. He still has a lot of learning to do.

You're just clearly being ageist thinking the boat is missed becuase he never made a move earlier. Assuming he can't or won't learn or adapt because he's managed at Ajax and Go Ahead Eagles is a bit lazy.
So it’s a bit similar to Ole, he also should have been given more time to learn.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
So it’s a bit similar to Ole, he also should have been given more time to learn.
Ole was a proven failure in the league before taking the United job, but even if you want to go by that he had 3.5 years before we sacked him.

NLunited

The Bundesliga is very possible. Bayern have a bigger budget than everyone else and a better squad than everyone bar Leverkusen. They probably still shade Leverkusen even now. Alonso has turned that squad into winners quickly. A squad of potential 18 months ago.

Bayern selling off most of their squad depth to fund Kane has cost them at times this season.

As for The CL, I highly doubt it.

ten Hag has a poor record in Europe:

17/18 season: Europa League Qualifying Round - 4th round exit

18/19 season: Champions League - Semi-finals

19/20 season: Champions League/Europa League - Round of 32 exit in EL

20/21 season: Champions League/Europa League - Quarter-finals of EL

21/22 season: Champions League - Round of 16 exit

22/23 season: Europa League - Quarter-finals

23/24 season: Champions League - Group stage exit

ten Hag has only made it out of The CL group stage twice. He's only reached a semi-final in Europe just once.
Let‘s not mention Ajax‘s budget. It is totally irrelevant.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Things are going to get really ugly in the next 5 games. We are playing against some very good teams and we will be shown our place badly imo. Hard to see how INEOS can stick with him even after that