Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Should ETH be kept on or fired by INEOS

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

matt10000

Nothing is remotely in place right now. It’s damage limitation and clubs do it all the time. We literally played a team last night that moved on from their manager a few weeks ago, hired a new one and got much better.

I don’t know why people have convinced themselves it is some elaborate, long process that you need to plan for meticulously and the only other option is to just carry on with your terrible underperforming coach.
I am not sure about the contractual side but I am guessing sacking right now would cost a lot more than if we did a deal to release him tonanother club?

flappyjay

I am not sure about the contractual side but I am guessing sacking right now would cost a lot more than if we did a deal to release him tonanother club?
I think it was Napoli who hired a new manager and didn't sack their old manager. It's a cnut option but it is an option.

Toshey

Supports
Levski Sofia
There are fans on facebook who seem to defend him more ferociously the worse it gets.
And it can hardly get worse than this. Can it? :nervous:

Bestofthebest

Ten Hag overperformed last year and is underperforming this season. Yes, I know there has been lots of injuries and loss of form with some players but he doesn’t appear to have any grip on the situation. He made some bad buys this season, in particular Mason Mount and to a lesser extent Hojlund, a young lad dropped into a poor team. Both were bought at ridiculous prices and have both under-performed or not performed at all. Time is up for him and if not then what happens next season will be on Sir Jim who has apparently talked a lot but not done much yet. If we don’t get rid of at least half of the present squad, and ten Hag, I dread to think what will happen next season.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Crystal Palace moonwalk all over us and we're so used to it, it's not really the main talking point today.

Remember the days when a tonking would leave you hurt and shell-shocked for days or straight through until the next game?

The normalisation to what we've become is tragic.

mikeyt

If Jim keeps him here beyond this season I’d seriously question his judgement. No point brining in too background staff if the manager is this incompetent. Last night surely has to be the final nail.

He shouldn’t get another day at this club. Bringing the club to new lows.

E-mal

I think our fan base are not the smartest about football. We have not been coached well for a very long time even in the last years of Fergie.

We are a very reactionary fan base, the next manager will come in and get a few wins and buzz words, paper over the crack and we will get on the manager **** train without critically analysing the football we are watching.

This team has not actually played well consistently since ETH has been here. Last year from World Cup to the league cup final, the period we won most games, we had Rashford scoring way above his XG and that gave us results without actually playing well. A few of us complained but we were shut down for being miserable even after a win.

When he went after Mount, a lot of fans on this forum thought it was a joke as he did not fit the profile of the player we needed in midfield. Many of us were hoping to get a midfielder capable of controlling the game, someone with more legs than Eriksen but similar skill set, but he doubled down on Mount. It was at this point I knew we were in trouble. It was obvious he has completely missed the point.

We are both technically and physically below 15 teams in this league, that much is obvious in our head to head games.

ETH is leaving us in a worst state than any post-Fergie manager because we simply do not have the talent in the team or resources to bring new players. He has squandered 400m quid without anything to show for it, we are in big big trouble

Herschel Krustofsky

Supports
Balanced perspectives
I've seen some terrible arguments on this thread but this nonsense is easily the worst thing I have ever read on this topic.
Maybe you don’t understand, or I didn’t articulate it properly..

There are more important things to get wound up about than losing a few games of football.

Some of the reactions in here are totally out of proportion - note use of the word ‘some’

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Was interesting point on Talksport this morning, yes there is sometimes, about if there was an cup final tomorrow some of the injuries we have would miraculously disappear. That some of those players just don't fancy it. Goldbridge has just been on and yes he was still sticking up for ETH, but I agreed with him that if they do get a new manager nothing will change unless they weed out some of the players as well. You think about the type of characters we used to have, Irwin, Keane, Bruce, Pallister etc and compare them to the weak willed ones we have now.

crossy1686

career ending
Look forward to this interim manager. He is going to miraculously return Martinez and Shaw to full fitness, return Rashford's state of mind and wind back the click 5 years on Casemiro's and Erikson's legs. In 3 games no less. Hallelujah.
Yeah because we've been world class with a fully fit team...

Manncunian

There are more important things to get wound up about than losing a few games of football.

Some of the reactions in here are totally out of proportion - note use of the word ‘some’
So you’re coming here, to a fan forum, criticising fans for being passionate? You’d rather they be apathetic and without ambition for their club?

And as for bringing Ukraine and Gaza into a manager sacking thread, I’m lost for words.

What’s going on in either of those is worse than any divorce. So anyone going through a divorce should stop moaning, get a grip and appreciate they aren’t being bombed? Got it.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
The FA Cup final could be a humilation for the ages if Ten Hag takes us into it. That's why I have changed my vote. He has to go, today.

Bring back Ole or Mourinho or anyone who can set us up to be hard to break down and not get walked over at Wembley. Imagine shipping 6 or 7 against them lot? F-k me.

crossy1686

career ending
Was interesting point on Talksport this morning, yes there is sometimes, about if there was an cup final tomorrow some of the injuries we have would miraculously disappear. That some of those players just don't fancy it. Goldbridge has just been on and yes he was still sticking up for ETH, but I agreed with him that if they do get a new manager nothing will change unless they weed out some of the players as well. You think about the type of characters we used to have, Irwin, Keane, Bruce, Pallister etc and compare them to the weak willed ones we have now.
Talksport and Goldbridge in the same post, almost bullshit bingo, just missing the muppetiers.

However you have to question how a manager has managed to alienate the entire team, who are apparently faking injury just to protect themselves. We saw last night, he came out and blamed the makeshift defence of lads who were stepping in to do a job despite failing fitness tests in the morning. Why the feck would you play for him? He's got the worst characteristics of Van Gaal and Mourinho, stubborn, self serving, arrogant. There's no reason why any of these players should play for him at this point, he's been talking about how shite they are all week with one foot out of the door flashing his arse at Bayern.

Gazautd18

Had a sleep on it too think.
Disgusting performance by team and staff.
Worst thing is hearing Carragher saying we could get any manager we want due to the status of the club, but who would want to come into this mess?
He's fecking right as well.

crossy1686

career ending
Had a sleep on it too think.
Disgusting performance by team and staff.
Worst thing is hearing Carragher saying we could get any manager we want due to the status of the club, but who would want to come into this mess?
He's fecking right as well.
Well we've allowed it to become a mess by not sacking him earlier in the season. Madrid wouldn't let a manager run them into the ground for a full year and make them look like damaged goods, they binned Lopetegui after 10 minutes when they realised he was out of his depth. It feels like we're just keeping him around at this point to ensure his managerial career is completely dead before we fire him.

ThatGreyKit

But this is a thread about a specific thing. Which people will then comment on.

People aren't going to be saying "Yeah this is bad. But not as bad as when Walkers changed the flavour of my favourite crisps. Free Palestine" in a thread about the Manchester United manager because the other two things have nothing to do with the subject matter.

So bringing Ukraine into it makes no sense. The same people probably don't like what's going on there either. But they'd probably use that specific thread or forum to talk about it rather than randomly attach it to talk about the manager of the team they support in a failed "it could be worse" attempt at getting on a high horse.

sugar_kane

Seems like 90% of the Caf want him out now

Wonder if it’s the same 90% who wanted us to hire him?

Either way glad we’re not in charge.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Let's be honest, Ineos is sticking with him. If they weren't he would be gone by now. It's almost as if the Glazers are still calling the shots.
I don't think they are. He was always going to stay until the end of the season regardless of results.

crossy1686

career ending

When you lose 17 games in a season it's completely normal for people to want the manager sacked. This 90% aren't wanting him gone because they don't like bald blokes.

big_jeffstar

The FA Cup final could be a humilation for the ages if Ten Hag takes us into it. That's why I have changed my vote. He has to go, today.

Bring back Ole or Mourinho or anyone who can set us up to be hard to break down and not get walked over at Wembley. Imagine shipping 6 or 7 against them lot? F-k me.
yeah, bring in a manager who can cure 13 injuries in two weeks, or make our 3rd string team full of kids and no centre backs hard to break down against the best team in the world.. it’s not happening mate

Toshey

Supports
Levski Sofia

The majority wanted him.
He did a shit job.
Now he has to go!

If you own a business, would you keep a shit employee?

it's really that simple!

crossy1686

career ending
yeah, bring in a manager who can cure 13 injuries in two weeks, or make our 3rd string team full of kids and no centre backs hard to break down against the best team in the world.. it’s not happening mate
How about just bring in a manager who will play with a midfield? Maybe set us up to counter? You know, actually play to the players strengths and give us a chance in the game? Nah feck it, how can we possibly beat City without a left footed CB, I forgot that one rule that all football must abide by.

Rauður Djöfull

Didn't watch game yesterday or see results, eas gonna watch it now but accidentally so the results, lucky for me

Seems another embarrassingly shambolic game, he has to go and lot of the players have to go as well. Absolute rubbish

Marcus

How on earth can you ask your front players to press when you have a makeshift centre back pairing and Eriksen in midfield? Such naivety or idiocy should be punished with immediate sacking. We are easy to beat because of you Erik. Stop winning about problems you create.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Look forward to this interim manager. He is going to miraculously return Martinez and Shaw to full fitness, return Rashford's state of mind and wind back the click 5 years on Casemiro's and Erikson's legs. In 3 games no less. Hallelujah.
Probably not. But reading reports that Evans actually failed the fitness test and then watching him getting overrun should be reason enough to trust an interim who might just throw a fit youngster on the pitch who at least can run.

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
i want him do well and stay but Jesus...when i look at the players he brought in I think them signings made are worse. Onana is a clown, Antony is not a professional player, what did we buy Mount? What is the plan for Hojlund if we don't pass the ball to him?

crossy1686

career ending
Yeah that cliche of the players getting every manager sacked is amusing. If only the people who constantly spew it out actually stopped and thought about it for 5 seconds
It's almost amusing as the case for keeping Ten Hag is that he will apparently get rid of these players, despite picking the likes of Rashford every single week regardless of form.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Why does he communicate like that the Moron? It’s completely wrong the way he points fingers at others and never takes accountability of his own actions. Hanging everyone out to dry with his awful tactics and when young players like mainoo get exposed because of it, he blames them saying “see see that’s why we conceded”. Classless idiot out of his depth.
Maybe it's about protecting himself knowing he's on the way out.
I have read nor listened to a single Interview of his with some form of accountability. It's always deflection after deflection.
The best managers have no problem admitting when they get it wrong that badly

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
Lots of guesswork here but I actually think that INEOS would have liked any reason to keep Ten Hag, to the point where Ten Hag could have gotten away with being quite bad and still survived into next season.

There's so much going on, so much movement upstairs and new plans being put in place, I couldn't really knock INEOS for taking that approach.

But despite all of that leeway, he's just been such a disaster that I think they're going to be left with no choice.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I think it was Napoli who hired a new manager and didn't sack their old manager. It's a cnut option but it is an option.
Clubs/companies do that casually. We will keep him on payroll until he finds a new club.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
How about just bring in a manager who will play with a midfield? Maybe set us up to counter? You know, actually play to the players strengths and give us a chance in the game? Nah feck it, how can we possibly beat City without a left footed CB, I forgot that one rule that all football must abide by.
Exactly.

I said yesterday that Ten Hag is neither one thing or another and I stand by that.

He insists on trying to play this, frankly, suicidal style of football. Yet without fully committing to it. When he has no left footed left back, he doesn't go to the youth team and get a left back, he plays Wan-Bissaka there. A guy who's football ability is limited even when playing on his natural side. How is that going to work any better than putting Harry Amass in?

At least Van Gaal would give the likes of Borthwick-Jackson and Blackett a go. They were nowhere near United quality but Van Gaal at least had the courage of his convinctions. If he needed a left footed option for his style he played one, regardless of age. He did not play players totally unsuited to the jobs they had and then bemoan it not working.

Ten Hag's willingness to use players like Casemiro in the wrong positions shows he can be pragmatic if he wants to be. In fact the way we played last season shows that. He's choosing this. Most other coaches would have just accepted that this squad will not be able to play total football, especially with the injuries, and modified our style. Instead, Ten Hag keeps going with Plan A but without the pieces to make it even remotely possible. At this point its approaching sabotage.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
Right now everyone looks worse because they're playing in a dysfunctional system.
Yes it seems like our idea of attacking is either punt it up to Højlund, hopeful balls over the top or launching it out wide to someone who's often isolated and likes to slow play down anyway. Most of it happens against a settled side so it's very ineffective.

crossy1686

career ending
All clubs in Italy do that, which is why its not uncommon for them to sack a manager, hire a new one, sack him and bring the old one back all in the same season because he's still employed, just on gardening leave. It forces clubs who want their outgoing manager to pay them comp if they want them.