g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Should ETH be kept on or fired by INEOS

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Revan

Assumptionman
64 is very doable, we can reach and break that record. We have been averaging 20+ shots for a few games prior to last week, so we can do that against Newcastle, Arsenal and Brighton. Can see EtH completely rising to the challenge.

crossy1686

career ending
Couldn't agree more. No Europe is an opportunity to reduce the squad
Manchester United should always be in a European competition. It's harboured us with shite managers like Ten Hag who have insisted on playing the same 11 players every week but a normal manager would use the opportunity to play youth and fringe players to get them ready for the first team.

Eddy_JukeZ

And yet moving from Ole-ball to high press fast transition football (albeit unsuccessfully so far) makes half our players redundant. So what's the answer? Go back to counter attacking? Even if we could it will never finish us in the top four and we still have a frankenstein squad. Football has moved on and we cannot. Nor can we go back. Sacking ETH is not going to resolve much, even if it's clear he has failed.
This idea that we try to play swashbuckling football is nonsense. We average less possession under ETH than we did under previous managers. We let in way more shots. We score less. We don't really do anything well under ETH.

Our defensive line was higher under Ole. Our GD was higher under Ole. Our xGD was much better under Ole too. And Ole wasn't good enough either. It's a damning indictment on ETH that we've regressed in every possible facet under him.

Sacking ETH will get rid of a terrible manager who is breaking records of how abject and terrible we've been all season. This notion that we should just stick him is illogical. He's shown nothing to remain in the job.

crossy1686

career ending
When we signed him he was the standout candidate. It was a good move at the time. He has since gone on to prove that he’s not up to it, so he should be replaced. No different to us signing Schneiderlin. It is entirely sensible to change your views as time goes by.

Your post is really not the “gotcha” moment you think it is
You mean you changed your mind after 17 losses and shite football all season? You're not allowed to think someone is good 2 years ago and change your mind in that time. That kind of reflection is frowned upon around here. You have to think something once and then never change your mind for as long as you live, it's the United way.

The Firestarter

I can sympathise with the injury crisis but I don’t agree with this. I don’t care how bad the injury crisis is you shouldn’t be losing 4-0 to CP

The absolute idiot. Keep telling the current starters (7 of his own signings) they are shit and find out.

Reactions: Fortitude

justboy68

So what are you saying, this is on ETH and blame him? The core players have been more or less there. And we have had some terrible signings.

I am not sayin ETH is god, but sacking him now is ridiculous and calling INEOS incompetent for not sacking him is even more ridiculous.
Under what circumstances would sacking ETH be reasonable in your mind? Surely there has to be some kind of performance expectation right? Also do you acknowledge that the majority of the players who played yesterday have only played for this first team under ETH? Why aren't they worthy of the same benefit of the doubt that you are giving the manager. I think the manager and players should be held to the same standard, if the players aren't getting a pass then the manager shouldn't either. If players fail move them on, if managers fail move them on too. Is that really an unreasonable or ridiculous view point?

On the INEOS point, I agree it's way too early to be judging their competency one way or the other. For all we know they could be doing anything from arranging a deal with Bayern to save us money from sacking Ten Hag, or signing up Southgate for the job like utter morons, we simply don't know yet.

justsomebloke

And yet moving from Ole-ball to high press fast transition football (albeit unsuccessfully so far) makes half our players redundant. So what's the answer? Go back to counter attacking? Even if we could it will never finish us in the top four and we still have a frankenstein squad. Football has moved on and we cannot. Nor can we go back. Sacking ETH is not going to resolve much, even if it's clear he has failed.
Nobody else plays fast transition football in this way - pressing aggressively (but not consistently) with the attackers and throwing the CMs at the oppo CMs on a man-marking basis, while leaving a deep and unprotected defensive line, leaving oceans of space between the different parts of the team. Which is why we have now allowed more shots against than any other team in the PL. The notion that the only choice is between this and "counter attacking" is a bit absurd.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
I'm hoping that our fans learn a lesson from this and don't just blindly buy into the "back the manager" tripe full-throttle ever again
Most sensible fans back the manager when they believe in him and jump off the train when they lose belief. It's that simple. I backed ten Hag last season as I thought he did a good job but he's totally lost me this season due to his awful management. You just gotta' know when to hold your hands up and admit that things have gone to shit.

Judas

Open to offers
This is a bonkers take. There's many different styles in football that can be attempted, tried out, take inspiration from. You've tried to paint football tactically as so oddly black and white, when it obviously isn't. We can move on, and will.

Robbie Boy

Not a single team in the PL is coached or managed worse than us. This was the absolute worst I’ve seen us in the 45 years I’ve followed us. If ETH still has a job at the end of this week, I’d be both very surprised and dissapointed.
I know :confused:

But SU are definitely coached worse.

Woodzy

He doesn’t say the right things. By saying we are shit because our entire back line are out is basically giving the players that are filling in permission to fail.

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel
I hope you're wumming.

The squad has vastly changed since Ole. What core players? We just played a game without Bruno/Rashford/Maguire and got destroyed 4-0 to Palace. He's brought in numerous players and taken us to a place we've never been in Premier League history. We've never been this awful.

Our GD is -3. Our xPTs is 15th. We sit 8th in the table. We've conceded 80 goals for the season. Most losses in a Premier League season. Last in the CL group stages(breaking records for incompetence by an English side while doing so).

Sacking him now isn't ridiculous. He should have been sacked 5 times by now.

I don't understand some of you. ETH has been abysmal all season and some of you still have the gall to defend him.
Have to agree with everything, he needs to go. Tactics are baffling, substitutions are bizarre at times as well.

People blaming INEOS as being incompetent is just ridiculous, they are still getting the structure at board level sorted and won’t be reactionary sacking the guy just yet. Let him finish out the season and start again in the summer with a new manager, interim rarely works as we’ve demonstrated already a few times.

We’ve been that bad this season that last nights result barely registered anything with me as it was expected. Palace in good form and the team and bench we had out didn’t inspire much confidence.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Manchester United should always be in a European competition. It's harboured us with shite managers like Ten Hag who have insisted on playing the same 11 players every week but a normal manager would use the opportunity to play youth and fringe players to get them ready for the first team.
I don't disagree in principle but here we are

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Even Crystal Palace only had 18 shots (so below the 22 needed per match to beat that record) and they walked all over United. There is hope that teams don't try speculative long range shots when they are two or three goals up anyways but just keep the ball, so keep the number down.
They treated us like a training session by the 3rd goal and had long taken their foot off the gas, more interested in putting on a show for their fans - this is a topic in itself, but we're so fecked, it's not even a talking point today - we're up against a side with a very real need to keep goal difference high next, and then have Newcastle, who take great joy in putting us to the sword.

Between those two games, the amount of goals and shots conceded has the potential to be astronomical. Brighton are more of a wild card but still a side who are likely to comfortably outplay us, so it's a very tangible capitulation we're talking about rather than alarmist talk. Ugh. Dreadful.

Robbie Boy

Crystal Palace moonwalk all over us and we're so used to it, it's not really the main talking point today.

Remember the days when a tonking would leave you hurt and shell-shocked for days or straight through until the next game?

The normalisation to what we've become is tragic.
Aye, I used to be gutted for days when we lost a game under Fergie. I've felt that way at times post-Fergie, but it's all been so shite, that the dissapoment has never been too big. Now though, it's just a complete piss take and I feel nothing whether we win, lose or draw. This is definitely what rock bottom looks like and I thought we had reached that place under both Jose and Ole.

crossy1686

career ending
Have to agree with everything, he needs to go. Tactics are baffling, substitutions are bizarre at times as well.

People blaming INEOS as being incompetent is just ridiculous, they are still getting the structure at board level sorted and won’t be reactionary sacking the guy just yet. Let him finish out the season and start again in the summer with a new manager, interim rarely works as we’ve demonstrated already a few times.

We’ve been that bad this season that last nights result barely registered anything with me as it was expected. Palace in good form and the team and bench we had out didn’t inspire much confidence.
Does it have to work? Ten Hag isn't working so what damage could McClaren do for 3 games? People talking like an interim is impossible because it's only October. Just sack the clown and start looking for new managers to hire in the summer. The longer you wait the less time you have to recruit.

Eddy_JukeZ

Probably around the same tbh.
ETH has a much better set of players and they're still conceding loads of chances per game. Pretty sure our defensive metrics are up there with Sheffield United.

If he had that Sheffield United team, they'd probably break records for the amount of chances they'd concede.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
He doesn’t say the right things. By saying we are shit because our entire back line are out is basically giving the players that are filling in permission to fail.
It's also crushing for morale as he's scapegoating the remainder.

Hammondo

This is a bonkers take. There's many different styles in football that can be attempted, tried out, take inspiration from. You've tried to paint football tactically as so oddly black and white, when it obviously isn't. We can move on, and will.
There is nothing wrong with his post though, we do have to move on and not go back to the ole way.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
When we signed him he was the standout candidate. It was a good move at the time. He has since gone on to prove that he’s not up to it, so he should be replaced. No different to us signing Schneiderlin. It is entirely sensible to change your views as time goes by.

Your post is really not the “gotcha” moment you think it is
You mean you changed your mind after 17 losses and shite football all season? You're not allowed to think someone is good 2 years ago and change your mind in that time. That kind of reflection is frowned upon around here. You have to think something once and then never change your mind for as long as you live, it's the United way.
:lol: yeah, that was a weird question to ask - with zero relevance. I mean, I'm sure if both polls show 90%, then it's probably a vast majority of the same people who wanted him here in the first place. As you both say, things don't work out and you take the new information into account and it's actually perfectly normal to change your mind. Really, really don't understand the posts trying to take the "gotcha" route. It's silly.

Anyway, on topic. Things are just tanking right now. Freefall till the end of the season. If we don't change managers, we're literally waiving the white flag for the final as well. We need to change managers before that final, but i'm not sure Ineos will do it.

Eddy_JukeZ

It's also crushing for morale as he's scapegoating the remainder.
He's reached the point where he's trying to disconnect himself from the failures. While doing so, he's blaming everything and everyone and bringing up United's past 'failings'(him bringing up our 2004-2005 season as an equivalent to this side was hilarious) to try and absolve his own failings. It's pathetic.

Hammondo

I think the midfield is the bigger issue, but this summer I would be happy if we only spent money on defence and midfield, I'm sick of it being in such a state. Also bring on the youth, can't be worse.

crossy1686

career ending
There is nothing wrong with his post though, we do have to move on and not go back to the ole way.
But the manager who is employed today needs to get the best out of the players he has, not play a system that none of the players can play to, lose 17 games in a single season and finish 8th because he needs 11 new players and 3 seasons before we can start winning games.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Palace could've scored more last night if they wanted to. They took pity on us.

Shark

@NotShark
Not even a whisper of him losing his job this morning. Regardless of how many league defeats we suffer from now to the end of the season he somehow gets to lead us into a final against City. Nobody can tell me this is the logical step to take.

Eddy_JukeZ

Feels like the dark Ole days again. Back on @ManUtd twitter watch. Not tweeted since the final score was posted over 11 hours ago.
Pretty sure they won't sack him until season's end.

Hopefully we somehow fluke a result vs City, but they might demolish us yet again in all likelihood.

Hammondo

He's reached the point where he's trying to disconnect himself from the failures. While doing so, he's blaming everything and everyone and bringing up United's past 'failings'(him bringing up our 2004-2005 season as an equivalent to this side was hilarious) to try and absolve his own failings. It's pathetic.
Carrick was objectively better, and he's not good enough. He was night and say compared to hag.

evil_geko

What's with the copium that the 7-0 was a freak result? ETH set the whole team up wrongly from the get go and every vulnerability was exposed
Copium? Anyone with eyes can tell you that game was freakiest result in decades. From the get go? We literally matched Liverpool in the first half, did you even watch the fecking game? Only copium is using that game over and over as some sort of sign for things to come. You can use tons of other games for that, that Liverpool game is not it.