Erik ten Hag vs Sancho

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Of course he hasn’t :rolleyes:
Hes calling the boss a liar and saying hes a scapegoat. Not inflammatory
He hasn't said that unless you're a massive drama queen.

It looks worse on ETH for me because he shouldn't be calling out players over standards when he left us without a midfield for 2 games amd brought on a CB away to Arsenal who got released by a relegated team in the summer.

The public shaming shtick only really works if you're own performance isn't up for any counter scrutiny.

Tosicsleftpeg

I'm with ETH 100% Sancho has never really impressed, he's had the odd moment when he has scored a goal but generally he has not played well enough. Everyone stating that Antony is poor but his workrate is absolutely phenomenal! Sancho would have jogged back and not bothered his arse today and we would have been destroyed.

Struggle to see how Sancho recovers, really hope the fans get behind ten haag here we need to build something.

Red Star One

Perhaps ETH thinks that there is a player in there and he see's this as the last resort to try to get the player out of him?

You can't say that he hasn't been patient with the lad after last season.
I agree he’s been quite patient and allowed his sabbatical etc. Then again, following a gutting loss like today, I believe it was a better call to dodge the question and just say it was tactical decision, rather than create the drama calling Sancho out for his lack of effort.

jadaba

Actually I take it back - I’ve watched the clip and ETH says absolutely nothing wrong. Didn’t make the squad because others trained better.

https://x.com/talksport/status/1698417978117587417?s=46&t=3cSPEXx54yOkvLX_Hq8XPw
Tbf he could have given a stock non-answer like 'we had to choose players for a particular system for Arsenal bla bla', so it seems like he's lost a bit of patience with his own previous approach towards Sancho and with Sancho himself.

That being said I have no qualms with him saying it at this point and Sancho's response seems even more baffling. There's a non-zero chance that he too only read the quotes and didn't watch the clip.

Litch

.....and people wonder why we cant sell players for proper money!!!

slored1

I stand by EtH. Sancho has been dreadful bar a few highlights. Good riddance.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser

It looks worse on ETH for me because he shouldn't be calling out players over standards when he left us without a midfield for 2 games amd brought on a CB away to Arsenal who got released by a relegated team in the summer.

The public shaming shtick only really works if you're own performance isn't up for any counter scrutiny.
So which CB should he have brought on when Lindelof had to go off? The imaginary one the club signed for him this summer?

Meanwhile he gave Sancho 3 months off lst season. He didnt public shame Sancho, he simply said he was not injured and was not selected due to training performance. Nothing wrong with what he said.

If Sancho can’t perform well enough in training not to get selected ahead of Vivek and Pellestri after getting special treatment last season then he needs to look at himself

SAFMUTD

Can't wait for him to take those efforts to the bench or elsewhere. Him and Sancho can leave this club
Im not saying Antony is good enough, he's lacks so much end product that almost everything he does on attach is sterile. All I'm saying is the least a Manchester United player, feck not just a Manchester United player but every single player that gets their living out of playing football, should offer is 100% effort. Things may come or not but effort should always be there, something I think players forgett just how fortunate they are to make a living, and making millions, out of playing a game.

Suv666

Yea time for Sancho to feck off. He has a history of this crap.

Semper Fudge

Adds nothing to the discussion

What was the other option?

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
Tbf he could have given a stock non-answer like 'we had to choose players for a particular system for Arsenal bla bla', so it seems like he's lost a bit of patience with his own previous approach towards Sancho and with Sancho himself.

That being said I have no qualms with him saying it at this point and Sancho's response seems even more baffling. There's a non-zero chance that he too only read the quotes and didn't watch the clip.
He could have but ETH is pretty honest. He’ll have told Sancho why he didn’t make the squad too I’m sure. Other players got selected because they trained better. His response to that needs to be to train better not to release a bullshit statement about being a victim.

Fooza

Well it doesn't really, EtH unlike our previous managers has the power. If he's outed Ronaldo out and looked good from that, then this is nothing compared that. Sancho who hasn't been performing for years will always be the one that was going to look the worse. If maybe he was having really good performances for a long period of time it'd be a different story.

Based Adnan

Just move him on. Pellistri can take his minutes and we have Amad to come back as well.

SAFMUTD

A manager should always call out players when its attitude related. Performance related I agree with you, because no player wants to perform badly thats obvious. Publicly criticizing a player for a performance wont help at all and will probably only affect the player's morale. But attitude problems are 100% on the player and need to be highlighted and shamed. These players are making millions a year to play football if they can't even train properly then they deserve nothing but to be called out.

stw2022

"All I want to do is play football with a smile on my face and contribute"

Roy Keane just had a fecking aneurysm.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Well it doesn't really, EtH unlike our previous managers has the power. If he's outed Ronaldo out and looked good from that, then this is nothing compared that. Sancho who hasn't been performing for years will always be the one that was going to look the worse. If maybe he was having really good performances for a long period of time it'd be a different story.
Well that’s fine but once it happens often then he will feel the pressure. Clearly things are not right at the club

kaku06

Can't wait for him to take those efforts to the bench or elsewhere. Him and Sancho can leave this club
Still going on Antony in a thread about Sancho. :lol: Give it a rest mate, we heard you the first time.

CM

As if the club isn't enough of a pantomime already

Licha-Vidic

Last Man Standing 2 finalist 2023/24
Who's this now? Garnacho brother or?

Things have started to unravel quickly. In my opinion it needs to unravel as quick as possible for us to ship all the deadwood and pseudo footballers we have in the team. Come what may, we will ride the storm.

Nobody is getting out alive anyway.

Edit.. Seems it's from 18 August, 2023 not today.

Waynne

I won't lose any sleep if Martial and Sancho left tomorrow

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
I think he has tried but the reality is you’re shite Jadon.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Antony isn’t shit though - he does more than Sancho does. It’s quite obvious even just looking at today’s game - Antony will track back, show desire and fight. If Sancho was playing today, AWB would have been left completely alone with Martinelli.

I find the “oh ETH prefers Antony” thing weird because they both cost us the best part of £80m and they’ve both been underwhelming. So if ETH played Sancho instead we wouldn’t actually be in any sort of better position.
They’re both shit mate.

But one is undroppable - thus it’s quite easy to see the issue there.

Oranges038

Think this deserves its own thread

I gotta say, I never liked managers doing this in public. Rarely achieves anything. Kinda makes it difficult for Sancho going forward.
ETH has been deliberately misquoted there.

He also says "we can make choices in the frontline".

So basically because there other options and he doesn't reach the required levels in training, he's not selected. That would suggest that even Martial performs better than him in training.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Who's this now? Garnacho brother or?

Things have started to unravel quickly. In my opinion it needs to unravel as quick as possible for us to ship all the deadwood and pseudo footballers we have in the team. Come what may, we will ride the storm.

Nobody is getting out alive anyway.

Edit.. Seems it's from 18 August, 2023 not today.

This looks like a response to people questioning why Garnacho was starting over Sancho.

starboy

Wonder what Martial knows on half of United when he plays.
These tweets (from Garnacho family) are not good. Something really bad happens inside and this is probably tip of the iceberg.
On one side, 2 weeks off are good, on other side media will use that free time to hit United as hard as they can.
Some teams are even worse (Newcastle, Chelsea) but no one cares.
Still think that Erik should play that differently. He just loaded gun to medias and Sancho added incendiary munition.

tomaldinho1

I don’t really get why Sancho responded, ETH saying he’s been average in training and every time we’ve seen him he’s been the same. Save confronting someone after a good performance at least, not years of mediocrity where it’s clear the manager has also given him extra chances and a lot of leeway. Not sure if he wants us to believe he’s been lighting it up at Carrington and been unlucky not to start but we’ve all seen him play in a United shirt.