Erik ten Hag vs Sancho

didz

If he hasn't already, I'm sure Sancho will warm to the idea of playing in Saudi Arabia. He idolises Neymar, and getting paid a fortune to kick about with his hero is a pretty good option to have.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
You are right. We really do that..
And on top of that Alonso really doesn't have any ties to United so far. It is well known that at least Real and Bayern watch him closely and might offer him the job the next time they need a new manager. And obviously Liverpool might do so as well...

AndySmith1990

Who will the cult jump to support after Pogba and now Sancho have or should be leaving the club? The next option of over paid, over hyped and under performing players is Antony.
If we're going for overhyped and overpaid then Rashford

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20

tomaldinho1

https://theathletic.com/4915182/2023/10/26/jadon-sancho-manchester-united-apology-row/
Not much new info but still interesting as it provides a clearer picture to the matter.
Really just a rewrite of the situation but I don't see how anyone can back Sancho. We pandered to players for so long and it got us nowhere, there has to be some basic level of accountability amongst these young men that they are employed by a club and should work towards the goals of that club.

mu4c_20le

Sancho doesn’t come out of this looking great
Guessing you didn't read it. He made a good impression with the academy players and was said to be humble and polite.

Another part that stands out is how he's been banned from using the first team canteen and has his food brought to him. I'm pretty sure youth team players were always allowed to eat there so it feels personal.

Castia

Seen United sharing a training video for the first time in a while and Sancho’s in the background doing press-ups like he’s 8 years old.
Hopefully they‘ve got him cleaning the senior players boots :drool:

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Interested to see how the 'ETH shouldn't have made a big deal out of this and should have catered to Sancho's personality whims' posters in this thread can still spin that story.
That part is me and I still think that..... On the flip side it is overly apparent that Sancho has handled everything about this wrong, he's incredibly misguided, and a bit dense to not be trying to find middle ground here so he's clearly given up...

I doubt many think the latter, wouldn't worry about it

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Guessing you didn't read it. He made a good impression with the academy players and was said to be humble and polite.

Another part that stands out is how he's been banned from using the first team canteen and has his food brought to him. I'm pretty sure youth team players were always allowed to eat there so it feels personal.
That seems very weird for them to treat him like that. Almost an archaic way of dealing with players but who knows, might be the norm still

sugar_kane

Anyone who can’t tell Sancho is a piss taker has to be entirely gullible. Look at the guys track record.

Kellyiom

That seems very weird for them to treat him like that. Almost an archaic way of dealing with players but who knows, might be the norm still
I can see why though. He's obviously got some issues and is probably very negative so I could see why ETH would exclude him totally. To me now, I don't think he should be anywhere near a football pitch, he sounds like a mess. I wouldnt be surprised if ten years down the line you see news and he's skint, business failed, shunned by football, that kind of thing.

Someone

Something
I'm of the opinion that an apology isn't necessary, what's important is his reaction on the training ground. To have someone on so much money completely out of the picture for months because he won't say sorry is a bit much. Obviously we don't know much about dressing room dynamics. But this can't possibly be ok with everyone. I also think that while Sancho is obviously in the wrong, none of this would have happened with ETH public comments, which is never wise.

AR87

I'm of the opinion that an apology isn't necessary, what's important is his reaction on the training ground. To have someone on so much money completely out of the picture for months because he won't say sorry is a bit much. Obviously we don't know much about dressing room dynamics. But this can't possibly be ok with everyone. I also think that while Sancho is obviously in the wrong, none of this would have happened with ETH public comments, which is never wise.
What would have happened if ETH said nothing that would've been of much more value? His performances were shit as was his effort, and he's been poor for the majority of the 2 seasons prior as well. Other clubs know this, because they have scouts who have eyes and watch football.

ETH didn't say anything extreme and it's not as if the "don't say anything publicly" style of management had produced any worthwhile results from Sancho either. He's a dud signing regardless of how he's been handled.

Someone

Something
What would have happened if ETH said nothing that would've been of much more value? His performances were shit as was his effort, and he's been poor for the majority of the 2 seasons prior as well. Other clubs know this, because they have scouts who have eyes and watch football.

ETH didn't say anything extreme and it's not as if the "don't say anything publicly" style of management had produced any worthwhile results from Sancho either. He's a dud signing regardless of how he's been handled.
We've had dozens of poor signings during Fergie's era, he always backed his players, and those who couldn't make it were shipped out. It's not a style of management, it's one of the key principles in management in any industry. You don't criticize your employees in public. Other players will look at this and lose some respect for ETH. That's pretty much why Mourinho keeps losing the dressing rooms towards the end with most of his clubs, throwing players under the bus. We should also be mindful that in this day and age, criticizing players publicly results immediately in a torrent of online abuse. ETH doesn't help himself when he keeps starting underperforming players over and over again.

This has gone too far, you don't completely remove a player entirely from the team to the point where he can't take the team picture or attend a team event. This will cost ETH with other players.

AR87

We've had dozens of poor signings during Fergie's era, he always backed his players, and those who couldn't make it were shipped out. It's not a style of management, it's one of the key principles in management in any industry. You don't criticize your employees in public. Other players will look at this and lose some respect for ETH. That's pretty much why Mourinho keeps losing the dressing rooms towards the end with most of his clubs, throwing players under the bus. We should also be mindful that in this day and age, criticizing players publicly results immediately in a torrent of online abuse. ETH doesn't help himself when he keeps starting underperforming players over and over again.

This has gone too far, you don't completely remove a player entirely from the team to the point where he can't take the team picture or attend a team event. This will cost ETH with other players.
Other managers, including Pep, have called out players publicly and in far more castigating fashion. Once he didn't pick Sancho for the squad against Arsenal the question would be asked and he can't just make up an injury, especially given how we saw Sancho react to the truth, that he wasn't picked on the basis of his performances in training.

Sancho isn't being picked and being separated from the first team because he effectively called the manager a liar and refused to apologize. That is on him. Not ETH, not the club, not other players in the squad.

Arteta did similarly with Aubameyang if I'm not mistaken. His squad seems fine with him. If Sancho wants to be back in the squad what's expected is an apology. If he can't do that then the manager is right to exclude him entirely from the first team picture.

I have zero issue with how ETH has handled this specific issue. Feck Sancho.

Someone

Something
Other managers, including Pep, have called out players publicly and in far more castigating fashion. Once he didn't pick Sancho for the squad against Arsenal the question would be asked and he can't just make up an injury, especially given how we saw Sancho react to the truth, that he wasn't picked on the basis of his performances in training.

Sancho isn't being picked and being separated from the first team because he effectively called the manager a liar and refused to apologize. That is on him. Not ETH, not the club, not other players in the squad.

Arteta did similarly with Aubameyang if I'm not mistaken. His squad seems fine with him. If Sancho wants to be back in the squad what's expected is an apology. If he can't do that then the manager is right to exclude him entirely from the first team picture.

I have zero issue with how ETH has handled this specific issue. Feck Sancho.
Pep has credibility that ETH is yet to have, even Arteta in dealing with Aubameyang. ETH on other hand keeps playing players out of form, and just had a terrible start to the season.

I agree that Sancho is generally in the wrong here, but ETH isn't dealing with the situation in a way that could cost him with other players.

SirFergie

Pep has credibility that ETH is yet to have, even Arteta in dealing with Aubameyang. ETH on other hand keeps playing players out of form, and just had a terrible start to the season.

I agree that Sancho is generally in the wrong here, but ETH isn't dealing with the situation in a way that could cost him with other players.
ETH is dealing with it as he should; showing an indisciplined, underperforming individual how lack of effort, poor performance, poor quality, poor judgment and poor attitude is treated.

Sancho isn't performing so has no cause to complain. He, and fans, can't point to Antony and say "what about him?" because Sancho hasn't shown anything to warrant that he should be starting ahead of him.

Players at this football club need to start relearning that the manager is in charge, not them.

el3mel

ETH is dealing with it as he should; showing an indisciplined, underperforming individual how lack of effort, poor performance, poor quality, poor judgment and poor attitude is treated.

Sancho isn't performing so has no cause to complain. He, and fans, can't point to Antony and say "what about him?" because Sancho hasn't shown anything to warrant that he should be starting ahead of him.

Players at this football club need to start relearning that the manager is in charge, not them.
Ten Hag is dealing with this situation like a cry baby rather than a professional. He's hurting the team and Sancho isn't losing anything out of this, only the club. It's just easy to hate on Sancho due to his performance being not good so easy to make him a scapegoat.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Ten Hag is dealing with this situation like a cry baby rather than a professional. He's hurting the team and Sancho isn't losing anything out of this, only the club. It's just easy to hate on Sancho due to his performance being not good so easy to make him a scapegoat.
What is he supposed to do?

Sancho called him a liar in a public forum, he's lucky he gets to train with anybody never mind the academy, given the leaks at OT, if EtH was wrong about Sancho we'd have heard about it, but we haven't, or at least I haven't, so I'm thinking he was spot on

Conor

You are one of the worst posters on this forum.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?

So really it has nothing to do with core principles of management, then? It’s a justifiable and constructive thing to do, but only when you decide they have the credibility to conduct it?

Krakenzero

Supports
Santiago Wanderers
I'm sorry I just have to ask again, when did Ten Hag criticized Sancho publicly? Considering that it's the base for every Sancho apologist argument.

SirFergie

Oh dear.

Someone

Something
So really it has nothing to do with core principles of management, then? It’s a justifiable and constructive thing to do, but only when you decide they have the credibility to conduct it?
Pep rarely does it and wasn't really right when he did. He simply has so much credit so he got away with it, he isn't perfect. We've all seen him and Klopp make mistakes. The difference is that he's been so successful and is pretty much invincible the same way Fergie was with United. If you look at Mourinho who was extremely successful at the beginning of his career, when he started doing it too often he started losing the dressing room too often. Now I'm not claiming that ETH does this frequently, but it still was a mistake and he didn't need to do it. And because we aren't playing well at all, this could harm him.