EU Referendum Results Thread | Leave have won, Cameron resigns

How did you vote to this: Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the EU or leave the EU?

• Remain a member of the European Union

Votes: 321 75.5%
  • Leave the European Union

Votes: 80 18.8%
  • Spoiled ballot

Votes: 24 5.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
While that letter of support just sums up the political class of this generation, there could still be enough rebels to cause trouble. That might be contingent upon some element of subtlety though, as most Tories will nevertheless find it difficult to side with Corbyn.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
You have no basis for that assertion though. The goverment has done very little to restrict non-European immigration so unless UKIP come to power or the Tory party changes direction then it won't be closing the doors.

An immigrant has as much right as anyone to want the country they live in to have controls of their borders. I don't agree with the anti-immigration line but I find it odd so many on here who shout that view down then lessen the validity of these peoples vote.
I just think a vote, where the key element is immigration, will be bad news for immigration and immigrants, both political and socially.... should it be successful.

Classical Mechanic

It's everywhere where humans are. Appealing to the lesser instincts, offering simple solutions to complex matters as well as convenient scapegoats works everywhere on this planet.
This referendum is a curious one because you have to a lot of working class people voting Leave despite EU employment law being one of the best things that ever happened for the low paid worker in this country. They have been duped by Leave propaganda preying on their fears about immigrants. If we leave the Tories will be in total control of this country, they are pro elite and are hardest on the most economically disadvantaged regarding rights and benefits.

There are some curious motivations coming from all sides.

I agree with your own point though. Feathering your own nest is natural. It can be framed as selfish but not hypocritical in the case of existing immigrants wanting to pull up the drawbridge.

Theresa Villiers (NI secretary and out campaigner) says Remain victory would be down to "Project Fear" succeeding

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Theresa Villiers (Northern Ireland secretary and out campaigner): I would put a 'Remain' victory down to "Project Fear" succeeding.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
It's not about tighter controls... we'll have tighter controls if we remain anyway. It's about incredibly restrictive controls that may as well be closing the door.
Nobody has suggested closing the door, not even Farage.What are these tighter controls, you don't mean Cameron's nonsense with regard to benefits do you (a non issue to begin with)?

rednev

There is non worthy of worship except God
This referendum is a curious one because you have to a lot of working class people voting Leave despite EU employment law being one of the best things that ever happened for the low paid worker in this country. They have been duped by Leave propaganda preying on their fears about immigrants. If we leave the Tories will be in total control of this country, they are pro elite and are hardest on the most economically disadvantaged regarding rights and benefits.

There are some curious motivations coming from all sides.

I agree with your own point though. Feathering your own nest is natural. It can be framed as selfish but not hypocritical in the case of existing immigrants wanting to pull up the drawbridge.
The same could be said about the low-waged middle class having been duped by the globalist propaganda that says immigration is 'good for the economy'. It might be good for GDP figures and stock prices, but the evidence is clear to anyone who understands labour economics that wages for the low paid have been kept low as a result of immigration.

Hedge fund exit polls apparently have similar 52:48 result for Remain as of late afternoon

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
It's so close. SNP, Green etc. will be similar (or higher) numbers of Remain to Lib Dem. I'd have thought.
And NI, and it's not done based on who voted on the GE but who's a likely voter. The result of the poll has already been given, 52-48. Speaking of which:

From the news editor of the FT.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
And NI, and it's not done based on who voted on the GE but who's a likely voter. The result of the poll has already been given, 52-48. Speaking of which:

From the news editor of the FT.
Long night ahead.

Skills

Snitch
It's so close. SNP, Green etc. will be similar (or higher) numbers of Remain to Lib Dem. I'd have thought.
Yeah last years numbers aren't really a good indication. There's going to be a much higher turnout for the referendum, and there's also another 700'000 or so (?) 16 year olds who are eligible to vote.

Smores

That conservative letter is such a pathetic move. They can say it's about wanting Cameron to stay on but is very clearly hedging their bets and grovelling in case.

They've highlighted far to many divisions in policy and respect for them to seamlessly go back under the whip.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
That conservative letter is such a pathetic move. They can say it's about wanting Cameron to stay on but is very clearly hedging their bets and grovelling in case.

They've highlighted far to many divisions in policy and respect for them to seamlessly go back under the whip.
It's incredibly pathetic, isn't it? Squabble for months, and then patronise voters by pretending that everything's fine and dandy. Like two parents who argue every night but try to convince the kids all is well.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
From an objective perspective perhaps, but i'll be even more jaded and cynical than i already was. And when i think back to my ballot paper from last year's GE, it would now require the introduction of a new party for me to vote in 2020. I've never liked Osborne, and Cameron's been pissing me off sine the Autumn of 2010. While i voted Green in 2015, their manifesto was terribly amateurish (i don't trust Caroline Lucas and she could be leader).
I'm pretty much with you in all honesty. I'll probably have to be a reluctant Labour voter unless they decide to get their act together.