F1 2021 Season

Leg-End

Doing a token lap to get half points is a joke. Why don’t the rules just say half points if the race doesn’t start, because that’s effectively what they are doing.

Also. It’s probably a simple answer, but how do you half 25 points?
It's really simple, 12.5.

christy87

Supports
Dipping tea in toast
Is there lights at spa.

Also shouldn’t the rules for parc fermé be changed for wet weather races to let teams setup cars for wet weather racing, raising the car different wing set ups etc, it’s ridiculous getting them to set it up after qualifying for predicted weather, when they can’t predict what the weather will be like in 2 hours no mind 24, it would make it safer.

Dan_F

they’d literally get 12.5, so that half is like an away goal essentially
It's really simple, 12.5.
Thanks. I was assuming that might the case. Valuing a pole position higher than finishing third in a normal race is bizarre if I’m being honest.

If they’re so bothered about the fans, they should just do another 20 laps under the safety car, not two.

United Hobbit

Agreed. What a farce.
Agreed as well. Feel for the fans and this is a race I enjoy watching too, especially in the wet

Wonder if the notorious nature of Spa has had anything to do with them not getting going, I know it's wet but we've seen a lot of wet races.

Couldn't they at least see availability of marshalls etc re tomorrow that would be better rather than a farce couple of laps behind the safety car?

Krits

It is frustrating for fans. But every single driver said it was the correct decision. Imagine yourself in that position. What if someone got severely injured, or worse.

I’m frustrated as hell because I thought a wet Belgian Gp would have been epic. But, if every signed driver says that they can’t see, it probably isn’t a good idea to go racing.

United Hobbit

That documentary on Schumi on Netflix is going to be so poignant can forsee shedding a tear or two

United Hobbit

Has it been called yet?
Think they're still waiting around, I've switched to United but will be checking here/ BBC commentary and will load up the other ipad it it starts

I'd at least be discussing with the marshalls/ advertising for availability for tomorrow as if they can get enough marshalls then do it tomorrow rather than a 2 lap procession behind the SC. Even start it a bit earlier, to give them time to pack up for the next race say 10am

United Hobbit

Anything changed? I’m watching Fred play like he’s Mazepin on hard tyres on this Spa track atm.
Possible slight glimpse of hope on the BBC commentary that the rain is stopping around 6pm Spa time

There's a clip of Vettel and Mick Schumacher and some of their team members playing football while they wait, don't suppose they want to come assist in our midfield?

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
Possible slight glimpse of hope on the BBC commentary that the rain is stopping around 6pm Spa time

There's a clip of Vettel and Mick Schumacher and some of their team members playing football while they wait, don't suppose they want to come assist in our midfield?
Can’t be worse than Fred

Nero

Half points is such a shambolic rule in these situations. Just void it.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
I don't understand why Sky was obsessed with getting two laps of 'racing' behind the safety car.
Well done George Russell for his performance yesterday, but that counting even as a half race is a farce.

Dan_F

There’s loads of idiotic rules in F1, but giving points out when there has been no laps of racing is up there. I know people accuse F1 of being a procession, but that is taking the piss.

Anyway, at least it stopped me from having to listen to Souness at half time.

The Hilton

Am watching the football now, so missing this. Has any actual racing taken place? Or did they get a couple of laps behind the safety car just so they can hand out points?

hobbers

9 massive points for Williams, pretty much secure 8th in the constructors for them, and a first ever F1 podium for Russell haha

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I'm not watching, but I suppose the fans are still there? I'm imagining sitting in the rain for hours, just to see a bit of parading before you're sent home...

Leg-End

They should just do away with the full wet tyres, they never actually race on them anyway so why lug them around the world.

It’s always inter conditions or SC/Red Flag.

Hephaestus

I'm not watching, but I suppose the fans are still there? I'm imagining sitting in the rain for hours, just to see a bit of parading before you're sent home...
There are some who stuck it out, yeah. And I'm sure the organisers will be getting ready to argue that refunds aren't necessary because there was a "race".
Ffs what a farce, if there's no actual racing giving out points is ludicrous.
Yeah, it's a 2005 US GP level farce.

United Hobbit

This is a farce, feel for the fans who have waited around in the hope of getting some actual racing. Have they even discussed trying to do it tomorrow, which of course now won't happen as the race has "started"

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
There are some who stuck it out, yeah. And I'm sure the organisers will be getting ready to argue that refunds aren't necessary because there was a "race".
As I read somewhere in the thread, ensuring minimum conditions for various contracts are met is probably a large reason for why they continue trying to get something done.

Dan_F

Yeah, it's a 2005 US GP level farce.
That would actually be disgusting. But makes far more sense why they were desperate to get something in.