F1 2022 Season

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
In fairness I think these cars must be absolute dogs to drive in the rain compared with last years.

And the wets are god awful. Awful for keeping temperature, awful at clearing water.
Yeah great point. The routes that water can be cleared have been hugely restricted; plus potential splashback up into the floors is likely to interfere with potential downforce.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Cars bouncing all over the place can be really tricky on wet surface in the corners.

Mike Smalling

K-Mag qualifying fourth in the Haas! The great comeback continues.

Mercedes secretly wishing they had kept Bottas instead of Lewis?

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
K-Mag qualifying fourth in the Haas! The great comeback continues.

Mercedes secretly wishing they had kept Bottas instead of Lewis?
:lol: what. More like Hamilton secretly wishing he switched to alfa

hobbers

Hamilton must really be rueing passing on the chance to join Ferrari.

hobbers

But has he turned them down , was he ever offered a seat ?
He definitely had a couple of quiet conversations with them during his last two negotiations with Mercedes.

Hard to say if it was a serious possibility, but I think if he'd wanted it, it would have been.

pauldyson1uk

He definitely had a couple of quiet conversations with them during his last two negotiations with Mercedes.

Hard to say if it was a serious possibility, but I think if he'd wanted it, it would have been.
Maybe , I have read he wants to race for them before he retires, I think they would have had him a few seasons ago , maybe that boat has sailed.

Italy Emilia Romagna GP Qualifying Result

pauldyson1uk

Emilia Romagna GP Qualifying Timesheet
DriverTeamTime
1) Max VerstappenRed Bull1:27.999
2) Charles LeclercFerrari+0.779
3) Lando NorrisMcLaren+1.132
4) Kevin MagnussenHaas+1.165
5) Fernando AlonsoAlpine+1.203
6) Daniel RicciardoMcLaren+1.743
7) Sergio PerezRed Bull+1.809
8) Valtteri BottasAlfa Romeo+2.440
9) Sebastian VettelAston Martin+3.063
10) Carlos SainzFerrariNo time set (crashed in Q2)
Out in Q2
11) George RussellMercedes1:20.757
12) Mick SchumacherHaas1:20.916
13) Zhou GuanyuAlfa Romeo1:21.138
14) Lewis HamiltonMercedes1:21.434
15) Lance StrollAston Martin1:28.119
Out in Q1
16) Yuki TsunodaAlphaTauri1:20.474
17) Pierre GaslyAlphaTauri1:20.732
18) Nicholas LatifiWilliams1:21.971
19) Esteban OconAlpine1:22.338
20) Alex AlbonWilliamsNo time set

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
What's the general opinion on sprint races? I used to watch F1 in the late 90's and 00's but turned off in the 2010's. I personally hate this idea and loved qualification sessions deciding the race positions.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Apart from Sky pundits I've never heard anyone say they like them
Maybe it's something to encourage new viewers. My wife recently started watching F1, due to the Netflix show, and loves them, so I guess there is support from newer viewers.

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
Really well done by Verstappen. The man is at the top of his game, wondering if his car will last the distance. Can't wait for another battle with Leclerc and I hope the Monagesque gets Imola too, would be nice to see Ferrari winning in Italy.

ArjenIsM3

Really well done by Verstappen. The man is at the top of his game, wondering if his car will last the distance. Can't wait for another battle with Leclerc and I hope the Monagesque gets Imola too, would be nice to see Ferrari winning in Italy.
Was just a really messy qualifying. Ferrari looked quick(er?) but they never really got a chance to show what they could do with all the flags

oates

No one is a match for his two masters degrees
Scout
Supports
Arsenal
Maybe already mentioned however just in case.. Sainz has just extended his contract with Ferrari until end of 2024.

Zarlak

my face causes global warming
Truth like rain don't give a feck who it falls on.
Hamilton must really be rueing passing on the chance to join Ferrari.
I doubt it. I doubt the drivers really care that much about having one bad season. He just won 8 straight constructors championships, having a bad season isn't the end of the world and he'd have been where he is now performing poorly for multiple seasons with Ferrari just to have this one good season finally? I'll bet he's more than completely satisfied with his choices.

pauldyson1uk

I doubt it. I doubt the drivers really care that much about having one bad season. He just won 8 straight constructors championships, having a bad season isn't the end of the world and he'd have been where he is now performing poorly for multiple seasons with Ferrari just to have this one good season finally? I'll bet he's more than completely satisfied with his choices.
I can see your point, but I think he will be bothered he has to drive a dog of a car, he will be gutted he has gone from WC winner to out in Q2 with 2 seasons.
You could see he was gutted after qualifying.

dinostar77

Mercedes appears to be nowhere near solving the chronic porpoising issues impacting its W13, with the bouncing phenomenon so severe in FP1 at Imola that it led to a floor stay rupture on George Russell's car.

Russell concluded Friday's single practice session which took place on a wet track P10, a massive 4.860s off the pace from the leading Ferrari of Charles Leclerc, while teammate Lewis Hamilton was a lowly P17.

Mercedes team boss Toto Wolff said that porpoising issues coupled with tyre warm-up problems undermined the reigning world champion team's practice session at Imola.

"We had George bouncing so much that he actually broke the stay on the floor," Wolff revealed. "You can’t drive – you have to lift on the straight.

"They are trained – I have never experienced bouncing like this in my life. But it’s clearly not drivable."

Mercedes as been working hard to try and mitigate its bouncing complications, but so far with very little success.

While the Brackley squad isn't the only team suffering from the ground effect issue, it hasn't succeeded in reducing its troubles without compromising its car's performance.

Ferrari on the other hand has been able to live with its porpoising predicament as it hasn't hindered the overall performance of its F1-75 car.

"Their porpoising looks a little bit different to ours," Wolff said. "Our frequency looks higher and the main difference is that when they hit the brakes, their car stabilizes – ours not."

Wolff suggested that the massive pace deficit in FP1 between Mercedes and Ferrari was rooted in tyre temperatures in the precarious track conditions and therefore grip.

"The Ferraris seemed to unlock that, everybody else is pretty much all over the place," commented the Austrian.

"Feedback that we are getting from Lewis and George is that there’s literally zero grip and that these gaps point to the tyres.

"When you are able to unlock that issue, you will do a jump and where that will end, I don’t know.

"I think there will be quite some discrepancies in performance and you could see a team [really behind in qualifying later on Friday].

"We were five seconds off the pace – it’s not the car and not the driver."
I dont see Mercedes making any improvements till they get a new floor for the car. Easier said than done.

I do wonder if the FIA will have to step in and do something, not sure what to eradicate the porposing for all the cars. Its making a mockery of F1 as the pinnacle of motorsport and there has to be medium to long term health concerns for the drivers. Bouncing up and down like that at 180mph with g forces to contend with must be doing or has the serious potential to do damage to their brain and spine.

pauldyson1uk

I dont see Mercedes making any improvements till they get a new floor for the car. Easier said than done.

I do wonder if the FIA will have to step in and do something, not sure what to eradicate the porposing for all the cars. Its making a mockery of F1 as the pinnacle of motorsport and there has to be medium to long term health concerns for the drivers. Bouncing up and down like that at 180mph with g forces to contend with must be doing or has the serious potential to do damage to their brain and spine.
Not all the teams are experiencing it, the Aston in qualifying looked very stable.
At times the Ferrari looks worse than Mercedes, but I do agree it needs to be sorted, cant be good for the drivers being bounced around like that.
I doubt the FIA will set in, they will just say some teams don't have it , its a design issue, no safety.

The Firestarter

RB doesnt bounce. So its not the rules that are the pronlem.

Zarlak

my face causes global warming
Truth like rain don't give a feck who it falls on.
I can see your point, but I think he will be bothered he has to drive a dog of a car, he will be gutted he has gone from WC winner to out in Q2 with 2 seasons.
You could see he was gutted after qualifying.
Sure he will be annoyed that fixing the issue is slower than everyone expects, but generally if you win everything for almost a decade straight then having one poor season isn't enough to make you regret not moving somewhere you'd have had even less success every year just because they're having one good season. That's dumb.

Adam-Utd

For once it's nice to see Mercedes struggling to nail something isn't it?

Over the last 8 years they've been smugly imperious, a seemingly unstoppable well oiled machine. Even when things look bad they still came out on top.

This time though they've got it very badly wrong :lol:

Adam-Utd

The sprint race concept seems...odd. What's good about it?
The idea isn't bad, it's 1 less practice session and a race instead - the problem is it's not really any different than the actual race on sunday. It could be more exciting, they could have done something more out of the box like reverse grid order, random grid slots, reverse qualy order. Just jazz it up a bit.

The main issue though was the previous generation of cars couldn't overtake well enough to make it exciting in a short amount of laps.

pauldyson1uk

Sure he will be annoyed that fixing the issue is slower than everyone expects, but generally if you win everything for almost a decade straight then having one poor season isn't enough to make you regret not moving somewhere you'd have had even less success every year just because they're having one good season. That's dumb.
I agree with you about the one bad season, and he would not have had the sucess he did at Mercedes.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
The idea isn't bad, it's 1 less practice session and a race instead - the problem is it's not really any different than the actual race on sunday. It could be more exciting, they could have done something more out of the box like reverse grid order, random grid slots, reverse qualy order. Just jazz it up a bit.

The main issue though was the previous generation of cars couldn't overtake well enough to make it exciting in a short amount of laps.
But doesn't it dilute the Sunday race? For me, the Sunday race is still the main event. Anything else unnecessarily takes away the prestige of it.

hobbers

Hamilton was flirting with Ferrari because of the romanticism element and wanting to have experienced driving for Ferrari in his career, not because of their performance. The reason he stayed with Merc is obviously because trying for the 8th WDC trumped his sentiment.

Adam-Utd

But doesn't it dilute the Sunday race? For me, the Sunday race is still the main event. Anything else unnecessarily takes away the prestige of it.
For me more racing can never be a bad thing, but it is a little too similar to the normal sunday race which makes it feel that way.

They should have been braver and done something a bit more spicy