F1 2022 Season

hobbers

Great race from Max and Carlos. And Perez of course.

Bodes well for tomorrow because, at least on the softs those cars actually look so evenly matched.

chris123

that was a quite enjoyable sprint race. few will admit though
Problem is we could have just had that tomorrow, instead. Now all we've achieved is re-position the slower cars further back.

Was fun for what it was but still feels unnecessary.

hobbers

Definitely the best sprint race we've seen. But still not sure it adds what the sky team are desperate for us to believe it adds.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Has Leclerc lost every 1v1 duel with Verstappen so far this season? Reliability issues aside, Max always seems to come out on top in these duels.
Well he lost one today at the start of the race.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
That was my first sprint race, and I thought it was quite boring. Sprint race in which we had safety car in the second lap doesn't make a good reading. :lol:

Good driving from Max though, probably only interesting thing today. Leclerc had right tyre degradation problem from what I've heard, right?

pauldyson1uk

Definitely the best sprint race we've seen. But still not sure it adds what the sky team are desperate for us to believe it adds.
when Max took the lead, they were like an over excited kids in the playground, who had seen the ice cream man coming though the gates.
The sprint race for me is a waste of time and money, does not add anything to the weekend for me.

Charrockero

Supports
Chivas de Guadalajara
when Max took the lead, they were like an over excited kids in the playground, who had seen the ice cream man coming though the gates.
The sprint race for me is a waste of time and money, does not add anything to the weekend for me.
I still don’t understand it quite yet but I did liked it. The Red Bulls had an awesome pace and Checo ended 3 seconds from Leclerc and like 10 ahead of Sainz.

pauldyson1uk

I still don’t understand it quite yet but I did liked it. The Red Bulls had an awesome pace and Checo ended 3 seconds from Leclerc and like 10 ahead of Sainz.
Glad you enjoyed it, that what matters.
I think the sprint race was brought in for the newer F1 fans, those that have been watching DTS on Netflix, a lot of more established F1 watchers I have found dont like it.

ZIDANE

Supports
The Philosophy.
Good sprint race and as we learn I’m sure there will be tweaks to the format at DRS. Today was made better by cars being out of position due to a rain and red flag effected qualifying.

Red Bull looked great, maybe they shed some weight with the exhaust system but assume it was just Leclerc needing to better manage his tyres at the start given we didn’t see a similar drop off from Sainz.

For a moment I thought Leclerc hasn’t made any mistakes and this was going to be a boring championship.

Italy Emilia Romagna GP Sprint Race Result

pauldyson1uk

RankDriverNumberTeamLapsTimePoints
1Max VerstappenVER1Red Bull2130:39.567308
2Charles LeclercLEC16Ferrari212.975 behind7
3Sergio PerezPER11Red Bull214.721 behind6
4Carlos Sainz JnrSAI55Ferrari2117.578 behind5
5Lando NorrisNOR4McLaren2124.561 behind4
6Daniel RicciardoRIC3McLaren2127.740 behind3
7Valtteri BottasBOT77Alfa Romeo2128.133 behind2
8Kevin MagnussenMAG20Haas2130.712 behind1
9Fernando AlonsoALO14Alpine2132.278 behind0
10Mick SchumacherMSC47Haas2133.773 behind0
11George RussellRUS63Mercedes2136.284 behind0
12Yuki TsunodaTSU22AlphaTauri2138.298 behind0
13Sebastian VettelVET5Aston Martin2140.177 behind0
14Lewis HamiltonHAM44Mercedes2141.459 behind0
15Lance StrollSTR18Aston Martin2142.910 behind0
16Esteban OconOCO31Alpine2143.517 behind0
17Pierre GaslyGAS10AlphaTauri2143.794 behind0
18Alexander AlbonALB23Williams2148.871 behind0
19Nicholas LatifiLAT6Williams2152.017 behind0
not classifiedGuanyu ZhouZHO24Alfa Romeo0did not finish completed 0

Driver Standings 2 Races & 1 Sprint Race

pauldyson1uk

RankDriverTeamWinsPoints
1Charles LeclercFerrari278
2Carlos Sainz JnrFerrari038
3George RussellMercedes037
4Sergio PerezRed Bull036
5Max VerstappenRed Bull133
6Lewis HamiltonMercedes028
7Lando NorrisMcLaren020
8Esteban OconAlpine020
9Valtteri BottasAlfa Romeo014
10Kevin MagnussenHaas013
11Daniel RicciardoMcLaren011
12Pierre GaslyAlphaTauri06
13Yuki TsunodaAlphaTauriA04
14Fernando AlonsoAlpine02
15Guanyu ZhouAlfa Romeo01
16Alexander AlbonWilliams01
17Mick SchumacherHaas00
18Lance StrollAston Martin00
19Nico HulkenbergAston Martin00
20Nicholas LatifiWilliams00
21Sebastian VettelAston Martin00

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
I think the sprint race was brought in for the newer F1 fans, those that have been watching DTS on Netflix, a lot of more established F1 watchers I have found dont like it.
yeah. i get the feeling it’s just there to have another race start over a race weekend. without pit stops and strategy calls is just means the cars sort themselves out during the first few laps and it’s almost a procession. can’t blame drivers for being cautious either, a big shunt on saturday could impact their race on sunday, where the big points are to play for.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
To be honest, “overtaking” is still mainly due to DRS. They need to fix this
only on modern tracks with enough width to safely send one down the outside will there be more natural overtakes. tracks like imola are tiny with little run off room. it’s safer just to keep close behind then power down the straight.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
only on modern tracks with enough width to safely send one down the outside will there be more natural overtakes. tracks like imola are tiny with little run off room. it’s safer just to keep close behind then power down the straight.
Im not only talking about today. We have had more than 1 race this season and its improved but its still clear that DRS is required which in my opinion is poor for F1

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
yeah. i get the feeling it’s just there to have another race start over a race weekend. without pit stops and strategy calls is just means the cars sort themselves out during the first few laps and it’s almost a procession. can’t blame drivers for being cautious either, a big shunt on saturday could impact their race on sunday, where the big points are to play for.
Hold on a moment. This actually reads like a serious post? What joke did I miss?!

RoadTrip

Im not only talking about today. We have had more than 1 race this season and its improved but its still clear that DRS is required which in my opinion is poor for F1
Don’t get me wrong, if cars could overtake consistently naturally without needing a significant speed advantage to do so, then great. But why is DRS necessarily poor for F1? The reality is that even before DRS, most overtakes would happen on or at the first turn after a straight due to slip stream.

The potential issue with DRS presently is not its existence in my view, but the fact that at times it’s so powerful that it reduces the skill level needed to pass, or taking Saudi as an example, leads to drivers doing odd and unnatural things to get DRS rather than be ahead. It’s the balancing that needs fixing.

Cassidy

Don’t get me wrong, if cars could overtake consistently naturally without needing a significant speed advantage to do so, then great. But why is DRS necessarily poor for F1? The reality is that even before DRS, most overtakes would happen on or at the first turn after a straight due to slip stream.

The potential issue with DRS presently is not its existence in my view, but the fact that at times it’s so powerful that it reduces the skill level needed to pass, or taking Saudi as an example, leads to drivers doing odd and unnatural things to get DRS rather than be ahead. It’s the balancing that needs fixing.
That is completly untrue. DRS was brought in after the issues got so bad that what you say occurred but it was not always the case. DRS basically guarantees you the overtake. I don’t think its a good thing but yes its better than the current alternative.
As I said before it needs fixing

RoadTrip

That is completly untrue. DRS was brought in after the issues got so bad that what you say occurred but it was not always the case. DRS basically guarantees you the overtake. I don’t think its a good thing but yes its better than the current alternative.
As I said before it needs fixing
Are you really suggesting that historically, even long before DRS, the majority of overtakes did NOT take place on or at the end of a straight? Because if so, it’s false. And otherwise I think we are aligned. Like I said, it’s not that it exists, it’s that it guarantees you the overtake, as you said.

Cassidy

Are you really suggesting that historically, even long before DRS, the majority of overtakes did NOT take place on or at the end of a straight? Because if so, it’s false. And otherwise I think we are aligned. Like I said, it’s not that it exists, it’s that it guarantees you the overtake, as you said.
No I am saying it didn't occur with an artifical speed boost that practically guaranteed you an overtake

dinostar77

This current format of sprint racing is pointless. No different to the actual GP on the sunday. Unless the grid is reversed or ballast added im starting to think sprint races are entirely skipable. Takes the shine off the sunday race.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
This current format of sprint racing is pointless. No different to the actual GP on the sunday. Unless the grid is reversed or ballast added im starting to think sprint races are entirely skipable. Takes the shine off the sunday race.
They should run sprint races in reverse championship order, with qualification determining the Sunday grid and functioning as a tiebreaker if people have the same amount of points. Gives someone else a chance at points and creates a different challenge for the top teams.

It would mess up championship points though, so maybe sprint races should then also go back to just a few points for the top three.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
To be honest, “overtaking” is still mainly due to DRS. They need to fix this
They need to get rid of it now. The cars can follow closer enough to gain the slipstream, if you're faster you're going to get passed.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Nah. The true test between the generations is the race girls. Seems almost pointless watching a race now without them.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
What you need is a true sprint. Have the drivers run to the cars from a specific location. Then race.

Mansell would have had a heart attack en route to the track, with a fag in hand if this approach was implement earlier.

ChaddyP

Problem is we could have just had that tomorrow, instead. Now all we've achieved is re-position the slower cars further back.

Was fun for what it was but still feels unnecessary.
i have no issues with more racing. I am a racer give me it non stop. rather watch this than fp3 which it as essentially replaced. I dont mind watching a few times a season.