F1 2022 Season

Jerch

Let me just start my post with Max Max Max, super Max Max Max.

Well now when all Lewis fanboys are gone. During the race they just played the part where his team said to him they have another opportunity to pit and his response "don't leave it to me" and he pointed out to this in post-race interview throwing them under the bus. But it didn't seemed harsh because I could only assume that he didn't had all information to make the right decision.
But today I saw his whole radio conversation where they described him everything (you will lose position to Russell, hards are performing reasonable well and mediums are 3-4 tenths faster, Russell is on fresh set) but didn't wanted to make decision for him despite it would be the best decision for the team (having 2 drivers on fresh set on same places just switched around instead of having slower driver on used set holding up faster driver on new set) and clearly put his interest infront of teams interest. Throwing them under the bus just looks really bad after listening whole conversation.
My thinking is, is Hamilton already cracking under the pressure and showing his bad side which we all knew he has when things doesn't go smoothly? Could he be dragging Merc progress back because they don't want to take risk with his car and are willing to try new things with Russell whose reaction to bad results wouldn't be as bad? There is no doubt that Russell's car was a lot faster in Imola and my thinking is that could be a reason.

Full radio conversation:

christy87

Supports
Dipping tea in toast
Agreed, they just need to reduce the drag on that car or somehow up the powertrain.

Then again, take max out of that RB and put in Alonso or leclerc or Hamilton or Seb and maybe even Russell and they will do just as well. Its a fantastic car this year. Super quick with very little drag. Seb won 4 back to back titles because he had a rocketship of a car that devoured corners.
They have the best car engineer in the game, newey is almost like a cheat code when it comes to regulations and giving him a Honda engine that seems like it's always in party mode will be tough for Ferrari to combat against.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
I think they should add more cars. 40 cars on the grid, 4 per team. Win the drivers championship, add 2 cars to that team. Win the constructers, same thing. And the teams should be subdivided more - Mercedes should have 6 cars on the grid this year, but with each car hired out to a different race team.

There's no interest in it for me any more. Who's going to win the F1 this year?? Answer - one of two people. Occasionally it might be one of three. Why not one of fifteen? Sure, the tracks would be more crowded - good. Maybe it'd encourage some less bland track designs too.

I dunno, I'd just change the whole way the "sport" works... It's never going to be a single make series which will always produce close racing...so put more drivers in the same car and let them race.
Had to check this wasn't a @rimaldo post.

pauldyson1uk

It's pretty obvious that Leclerc isn't lacking anything instinct wise, we saw it on full display in the opening races when they had fantastic close racing lap after lap after lap. His car just isn't fast enough in a straight line to catch the Red Bull right now. We saw it over and over at Miami 0.6s, 0.8s, 0.5s, 0.6, 0.8s, 0.5s where he'd catch him in the twisties up to the DRS but then not have the straight line speed to get past him. That one time Max put in the fastest lap of the race and they crossed the DRS line at 1 second and Leclerc got no DRS there was no coming back and Max just extended from there.
Agreed I was just throwing out an idea.
Ferrari have had no upgrades yet, maybe Spain .

pauldyson1uk

Well now when all Lewis fanboys are gone. During the race they just played the part where his team said to him they have another opportunity to pit and his response "don't leave it to me" and he pointed out to this in post-race interview throwing them under the bus. But it didn't seemed harsh because I could only assume that he didn't had all information to make the right decision.
But today I saw his whole radio conversation where they described him everything (you will lose position to Russell, hards are performing reasonable well and mediums are 3-4 tenths faster, Russell is on fresh set) but didn't wanted to make decision for him despite it would be the best decision for the team (having 2 drivers on fresh set on same places just switched around instead of having slower driver on used set holding up faster driver on new set) and clearly put his interest infront of teams interest. Throwing them under the bus just looks really bad after listening whole conversation.
My thinking is, is Hamilton already cracking under the pressure and showing his bad side which we all knew he has when things doesn't go smoothly? Could he be dragging Merc progress back because they don't want to take risk with his car and are willing to try new things with Russell whose reaction to bad results wouldn't be as bad? There is no doubt that Russell's car was a lot faster in Imola and my thinking is that could be a reason.

Full radio conversation:
First I hate fanboy, but I can see past that.
The rest of your post, I can't argue with any of it, I said before, last season Lewis would have been straight in for softs and 10, 11 Laps of hammertime.
He threw himself under the bus, he should have pitted.
I don't think he has cracked, he desperately wants to win, I think he has no confidence in the car.
Imola was embarrassing for Lewis, being lapped by Max was unacceptable.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
The rest of your post, I can't argue with any of it, I said before, last season Lewis would have been straight in for softs and 10, 11 Laps of hammertime.
I don't think he has cracked, he desperately wants to win, I think he has no confidence in the car.
Why do you do it to yourself. You’re too kind

Kanu

Supports
Feyenoord & United
So I got a little active in the f1 thread at the end of last season, but found myself discussing a little bit too much with Lewis stans, so I took a break.

Is this thread safe again for Max fans now that Lewis seems done?

SirAnderson

So I got a little active in the f1 thread at the end of last season, but found myself discussing a little bit too much with Lewis stans, so I took a break.

First things first...are you planning to say things like "MAX MAX MAX, SUPER MAX MAX MAX"?

If so, yes please, do come back, it's all safe and overindulgence is not frowned upon either, should you feel the need.

pauldyson1uk

Rory Byrne says hello :smirk: Rory has a better win and championship ratio than Newey, he just decided to retire.
Byrne-designed cars have won ninety-nine Grands Prix, seven constructors' titles and seven drivers' titles. This makes Byrne the third most successful Formula One designer, behind rival Adrian Newey and Colin Chapman.

Newey's designs have won numerous titles and 178 Grands Prix (as of the 2022 Emilia Romagna Grand Prix). Newey is one of the most successful designers, winning ten Constructors' Championships with three different Formula One teams, and with seven different drivers winning the Drivers' Championship driving Newey's designs. After designing championship-winning Formula One cars for Williams F1 and McLaren, Newey moved to Red Bull Racing in 2006, his cars winning the Formula One drivers' and constructors' championships consecutively from 2010 to 2013, and the drivers' championship in 2021.[1] Newey's designs also won the 1985 and 1986 CART titles

I would say Newey is better
(I got info from Wikipedia)

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
Byrne-designed cars have won ninety-nine Grands Prix, seven constructors' titles and seven drivers' titles. This makes Byrne the third most successful Formula One designer, behind rival Adrian Newey and Colin Chapman.

Newey's designs have won numerous titles and 178 Grands Prix (as of the 2022 Emilia Romagna Grand Prix). Newey is one of the most successful designers, winning ten Constructors' Championships with three different Formula One teams, and with seven different drivers winning the Drivers' Championship driving Newey's designs. After designing championship-winning Formula One cars for Williams F1 and McLaren, Newey moved to Red Bull Racing in 2006, his cars winning the Formula One drivers' and constructors' championships consecutively from 2010 to 2013, and the drivers' championship in 2021.[1] Newey's designs also won the 1985 and 1986 CART titles

I would say Newey is better
(I got info from Wikipedia)
Byrne retired in 2006 I believe and only consulted there after. He was part of Luca Di’s purge of the Schumacher era Ferrari team in 06-07

Kanu

Supports
Feyenoord & United
First things first...are you planning to say things like "MAX MAX MAX, SUPER MAX MAX MAX"?

If so, yes please, do come back, it's all safe and overindulgence is not frowned upon either, should you feel the need.
Yes boys come on!

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular

Does it count for your thread if you stir it up yourself? I feel like you should have declared a conflict of interest with that post...

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
What’s impressive about Newey is his age when he started designing race winning cars. I didn’t realise he was in his 30’s at Williams and McLaren.

I would also add Patrick Head to list of goats technical directors. Effectively mentored Newey and was instrumental in some of the greatest technological Advances in F1 and by default, car racing in general.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
Does it count for your thread if you stir it up yourself? I feel like you should have declared a conflict of interest with that post...
Usually we got the team set up. I'm out here doing the dirty work of luring out the lunatics and fishing for a reaction while @SirAnderson then reels them in for his thread

pauldyson1uk

Post away, this season it has been good so far I think.
There has been handbags, but not that many, just be warned, if you do start with handbags @SirAnderson will be right on you :lol:

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
Couldn't believe what his team said during the race but hearing the full conversation, it makes sense.

Think Hamilton is under too much pressure and this isn't a working team dynamic. Doesn't paint him in a good light but i hope Hamilton and Mercedes turn it around sooner

pauldyson1uk

What’s impressive about Newey is his age when he started designing race winning cars. I didn’t realise he was in his 30’s at Williams and McLaren.

I would also add Patrick Head to list of goats technical directors. Effectively mentored Newey and was instrumental in some of the greatest technological Advances in F1 and by default, car racing in general.
I thought he had started much younger, until I read more about him, his record is phenomenal

pauldyson1uk

Couldn't believe what his team said during the race but hearing the full conversation, it makes sense.

Think Hamilton is under too much pressure and this isn't a working team dynamic. Doesn't paint him in a good light but i hope Hamilton and Mercedes turn it around sooner
I would agree with this, he is used to having a car that will do what he wants, this year so far, its not playing ball, maybe the reason he did not pit, maybe he thought what's the point.

redshaw

Lewis has always been flakey with his race picture and has said many times in interviews he leaves it up to the team as they have all the info. If it's very obvious to stay out longer and get a few more laps out of a tyre before pitting he'll do it but most times he doesn't know who is behind or in front, can't understand safety cars or VSC gains, often bemused asking basic questions like why is he ahead, well then why didn't we do that. This radio is very typical of him at a loss and unsure.

Last edited:

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Lewis has always been flakey with his race picture and has said many times in interviews he leaves it up to the team as they have all the info. If it's very obvious to stay out longer and get a few more laps out of a tyre before pitting he'll do it but most times he doesn't know who is behind or in front, can't understand safety cars or VSC gains, often bemused asking basic questions like why is he ahead, well then why didn't we do that. This radio is very typical of him at a loss and unsure.
He's a bad loser but so is every competitive sportsman. He clearly feels the rub of the green is against him at the moment and in some places it is.

He obviously knew he couldn't gift Russell track position and tried to remain ahead on track (overtaking wasn't proving easy) but ultimately that decision didn't pay off.

He didn't exactly lose out on much anyway, he was always going to end up behind Russell. It's whether he could have fought back and got him with them both on fresh tyres.

Maybe the pressure is getting to him a little, but that's sort of understandable. He's got a rapid, determined and cerebral new team mate who's out to be number 1. There is no pressure on Russell at all this year, it's a free hit.

Lewis probably knows he's on borrowed time and things are going against him a little so far - but there is a long way to go.

F-Red

Hamilton only had new hard tyres, made no sense to pit and lose track position when it would have taken at least a couple of laps to get them up to temperature. He had no new mediums or soft in comparison to Russell as Russell didn't make it to Q3 and had an extra new set.

flameinthesun

Think people are reading too much into Hamilton. The car is what it is, Russell has had a very good start to his Merc career but in relation to his performance v hamilton he has gotten the rub of the green in most of the races, lewis has had different setups as well as the race where he was running the sensors. We will see how it pans out over the season. I know a lot of people are desperate to see Lewis fail or see him implode, but I think most are just projecting. I've not seen a change in Lewis from last season, last season him and his team made similar strategy mistakes.

Regarding Mercedes overall I think the spanish gp is do or die for this car, they need to show some demonstratable improvements to get back confidence in the car design.

pauldyson1uk

Hamilton only had new hard tyres, made no sense to pit and lose track position when it would have taken at least a couple of laps to get them up to temperature. He had no new mediums or soft in comparison to Russell as Russell didn't make it to Q3 and had an extra new set.
I thought he had one set of softs left, well I heard Sky commentators say that.
Only hards left, makes more sense now, you are right no point in pitting for new hards.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Think people are reading too much into Hamilton. The car is what it is, Russell has had a very good start to his Merc career but in relation to his performance v hamilton he has gotten the rub of the green in most of the races, lewis has had different setups as well as the race where he was running the sensors. We will see how it pans out over the season. I know a lot of people are desperate to see Lewis fail or see him implode, but I think most are just projecting. I've not seen a change in Lewis from last season, last season him and his team made similar strategy mistakes.

Regarding Mercedes overall I think the spanish gp is do or die for this car, they need to show some demonstratable improvements to get back confidence in the car design.
wow, a measured and sensible post in the F1 thread.:nono:

F-Red

I thought he had one set of softs left, well I heard Sky commentators say that.
Only hards left, makes more sense now, you are right no point in pitting for new hards.
Scrubbed softs, so the performance might not have been there. Ultimately the car was probably 5th or 6th at best, so is it worth changing to jeopardise track position on a track with very little overtaking ability.

F-Red

Agree on Barcelona, not so much a do or die element. That circuit is a good benchmark for the car. I'm still of the opinion that until they get a new floor then nothing will change with Mercedes.

ChaddyP

Full radio conversation:
I have no idea why the Mercedes... I mean Lewis fans are up in arms about Hamilton not being told to pit. What on earth would have been the point. From a team perspective you have 20 laps left in a tyre where your less experienced team mate was still getting good times. For Mercedes it doesn't matter if George finishes 5th or Lewis. They got maximum points today and then some, having the 4th fastest car. Pitting Lewis achivies nothing for the team and only puts them at risk incase they have a poor pit stop. And it also puts both drivers on fresh tyres fighting themselves.

They shouldn't have even asked Lewis what he wanted. The most obvious thing to do was to stay out.

Balljy

The quotes from Mercedes over the weekend are interesting as they have moved from (at least publicly) they don't know what the issues are but are putting full resources into it, to they know it's a fast car but have to understand why it's so difficult to get performance reliably out of it. I suspect the slight optimism now comes from the performance in practice.

It also looks like, as suspected by a few in here that they knew that the upgrades wouldn't solve the issues, and a new floor is what they are waiting on for that.

Miami Grand Prix's remarkable buzz can't hide Mercedes' woe - BBC Sport

Dan_F

The main observation I’ve taken away from this season about Hamilton is that you can tell he’s not been so far back in the pack with an average car for a long time. He’s spent the last several years not needing to take major risks as the car would get him out of trouble against the majority on the straight.

It’s not to say that he’s not a good racer any more, I just think it’s a different skill and a different level of risk that he’s not needed to use for a while. Same for the strategists at Mercedes. They haven’t really needed to take big risks, in fact it was all about minimising risk, even if that means finishing 4th rather than 2nd and risking a DNF.