F1 2022 Season

mitChley

Waiting for the F2 interviews on Thursday ahead of the racing this weekend in which Vips will be racing for Hitech.

My point really is they need to address the Piquet issue considering the indirect links to the team. Making a statement about Vips isn’t really talking about the same thing albeit the same subject.

Personally, I can’t believe in 2022 we’re still having to debate the whether calling out racism, or over communicating on similar matters is the right thing or not.
Such a cheap and easy line to throw in. I don't think anybody is saying it's the wrong thing to call out racism.

F-Red

Such a cheap and easy line to throw in. I don't think anybody is saying it's the wrong thing to call out racism.
Not against you personally, yet the thread is still debating whether a statement on Juri Vips is enough to cover the words of Nelson Piquet. Red Bull could have come out with that statement and condemned both yesterday, but they chose not to.

mitChley

Not against you personally, yet the thread is still debating whether a statement on Juri Vips is enough to cover the words of Nelson Piquet. Red Bull could have come out with that statement and condemned both yesterday, but they chose not to.
Have all teams condemned it? I know the focus is on Red Bull but I've not seen anything from Alpine or Alfa? (I let Haas off, they seem to have retweeted the official f1 tweet).

Fluctuation0161

Red Bull only went live with the statement today because of Piquets comments. The Vips decision was made last week and they’ve sat on the statement.

Let’s not make out the actual decision on Vips was accelerated because of Piquets comments, rather than the fortunate timing of a related statement.

Red Bull’s association with Piquet, connected through Verstappen, still needs addressing regardless of the Vips position.
Yep. Obvious really. Cynical timing by Red Bull whose silence is "backing their mate".

But the usual suspect seems to be in denial. The 2 comments are not mutually exclusive. Red Bull don't have to choose to comment on one OR the other.

F-Red

Have all teams condemned it? I know the focus is on Red Bull but I've not seen anything from Alpine or Alfa? (I let Haas off, they seem to have retweeted the official f1 tweet).
Of those teams, no. I have seen open comments from Ocon and Guanyu of those teams condemning it.

Abizzz

Piquet has also claimed he's better than Senna because he didn't die in a F1 car. He's been a lunatic for far longer than RB or Max have been around. (I still kinda had a soft spot for him but this might harden it).

klsv

Here we go with the "you don't get my language" bullshit.

MTF

Like I said yesterday, when used impersonally to refer to people in general it is not inherently racist (because those people can be of any race), but he was using it to refer to a specific person that is black, and that makes it entirely different from the other usage.

The Firestarter

Like I said yesterday, when used impersonally to refer to people in general it is not inherently racist (because those people can be of any race), but he was using it to refer to a specific person that is black, and that makes it entirely different from the other usage.
What is the basis for using this word to refer to "people in general"? Where does it stem from?

MTF

What is the basis for using this word to refer to "people in general"? Where does it stem from?
Hm... I don't quite know when or why it started to be used that way. It could be a transition from using the term more explicitly to refer to black people (which was certainly common in Brazil until as recently as a few decades ago), but not sure when it would have transitioned to be used in the sense of "people" that I mention.

It's regional too I think, so in Rio we use it but I don't think in all other states they do.

klsv

Here's an article from a few years back, about J-Lo using a similar word, I guess this provides some context. A professor of law and a cultural anthropologist discussing the matter. As you might expect. Remember, Suarez also tried to excuse himself by saying it's not a racist word in Uruguay. I do dare to doubt that these words would be considered as neutral or positive in any of those countries if it wasn't for the colonial history

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.co...grita-in-latin-culture-after-j-lo-controversy

For what it's worth, I am in Estonia, and let me tell you, the Jüri Vips saga didn't go down well with the people here. People claiming Vips not being racist defended what he said in the most racist manner possible.

"Why can't we call a n**** a n*****?! That's how we've always called them! Red Bull bowing down to the mental SJW warriors! That's not racist! It's racist to accuse him of being a racist!"

Yes, there is context and different languages, however, white people fighting for their right to use these words are almost certainly either racists or incredibly ignorant and tone deaf.

And with Piquet, well the context doesn't help him either. Everyone had a name during his interview, except for Lewis.

I've got a half decent network in F1. Piquet has been a well known arsehole for years. None of this is a surprise to anybody which might explain some of the apathy in the response.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Been thinking about this a lot lately. F1 is an embarrassment with so many cnuts associated with the sport. Big changes are needed and it's why I'll always back the likes of Hamilton and Vettel who are trying to bring positive change.

The statements put out by F1 and the teams weren't good enough imo. No mention of Piquet's name and they made it all about Lewis again. We know what Lewis does that's not the issue here.

Leg-End

Don't you think he might have a point here? With so many drivers complaining surely you'd want to motivate teams to fix their issues.
Horner only cares about himself, sometimes Red Bull but mostly himself. Make no mistake Horner only pipes up to benefit his own ends, he's a complete windbag who probably records every race weekend so he can play it all back to see how often he's appeared on camera.

hobbers

Horner only cares about himself, sometimes Red Bull but mostly himself. Make no mistake Horner only pipes up to benefit his own ends, he's a complete windbag who probably records every race weekend so he can play it all back to see how often he's appeared on camera.
Basically Toto but with less money and limper pumpernickels.

Don't you think he might have a point here? With so many drivers complaining surely you'd want to motivate teams to fix their issues.
Maybe he should stop trying to block their attempts to fix them then?

Reminds me of James Corden, its all about him.

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
Unbelievable shit by Piquet. Remember him as an odious personality which i personally put it down to jealousy because of Senna adoration by the masses. Ask yourself if prejudice is shown to Lewis fecking Hamilton, a world champion of his sport, then what would be extended to normal people. Hated it when Suarez used the negroto defence and doesn't fly with Piquet as well. Hamilton was very clear on his post, Bravo.

Don't understand the stance by Red Bull either. Only due to this unfortunate incident that I came to know that Verstappen is dating Piquet's daughter. Imo, with that kind of personal connection it is disappointing that neither Red bull or verstappen have decided to put out a strong statement. You can argue that RBR is not connected to Piquet but come on, really? Surely that isn't too much?

Abizzz

It's particularly funny when it's Red Bull (kill yourself so we can sell drinks) caring for athletes health :lol: .

Fluctuation0161

Been thinking about this a lot lately. F1 is an embarrassment with so many cnuts associated with the sport. Big changes are needed and it's why I'll always back the likes of Hamilton and Vettel who are trying to bring positive change.

The statements put out by F1 and the teams weren't good enough imo. No mention of Piquet's name and they made it all about Lewis again. We know what Lewis does that's not the issue here.
It really has become a terrible sport.

dinostar77

Apparently Williams have some aero upgrades this weekend and guess who they have taken inspiration from?

Whether it will be as obvious as the green redbull remains to be seen as there arent any pics in public as yet.