F1 2022 Season

F-Red

Some mature race craft from Schumacher yesterday, I wonder if the cost cap for repairs at Haas was playing on his mind during these moves…

Krits

I refuse to believe that every single F1 team doesn't have a couple of people whose only job is to constantly plan for what they should do if there's a VSC or SC, but seeing some of the decisions some teams make when it happens it actually looks like they don't. I realize that it's a lot harder in reality and that you can make wrong decisions even with the right information but Ferrari seems to be masters at not making the right call every time.
It is what you would think. I am sure they do have people sitting there for these strategy calls, but from the evidence, it seems like the process still isn't right. That's why I am blaming this not on individuals, but the process. This is what they need to look at. The SOPs that these strategists are following.

Krits

Some mature race craft from Schumacher yesterday, I wonder if the cost cap for repairs at Haas was playing on his mind during these moves…

There were a few penalty possible incidents yesterday. I don't mind the 'let em race' mantra, but it needs to be consistent. I think Max deserved a penalty here. Mick was alongside him before the corner and hence Max is obligated to give him one cars width.

Charles also defended Perez once with all 4 tires off the circuit. Then Next lap, Perez cut the chicane. All possible illegal moves. *shrugs*

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

Max showing he's learnt nothing from last year. That was the penalty incident I was talking about.

He did this so many times last season, you can't defend by just letting your brakes off and drifting wide until your opponent has to escape off the track to avoid contact.

If Mick wasn't as desperate for the points I wish he would have called his bluff and took the contact.

SirAnderson

Almost 40 pages to catch up? Geez, what happened!

I missed most of yesterday's race, anyone want to clue me in about the main happenings, please?
Both of the race, and the thread. :wenger: :nervous:

mitChley

Max showing he's learnt nothing from last year. That was the penalty incident I was talking about.

He did this so many times last season, you can't defend by just letting your brakes off and drifting wide until your opponent has to escape off the track to avoid contact.

If Mick wasn't as desperate for the points I wish he would have called his bluff and took the contact.
Unless it's punished, of course he can. He has had no reason to learn, why would he, there have been no consequences. If the stewards gave him a penalty then I'd expect his behavior would change, as it did at SC restarts, but they haven't. No one who wants to win would disadvantage themselves for no reason.

edit: can't spell

Last edited:

mitChley

Almost 40 pages to catch up? Geez, what happened!

I missed most of yesterday's race, anyone want to clue me in about the main happenings, please?
Both of the race, and the thread. :wenger: :nervous:
Russell tap Gasley, big crash. Zhou upside down, big scare. Someone (Vettel?) hit Albon, big crash at same time. Perez damaged, Leclerc damaged. Perez pits for new wing, Leclerc doesn't. Then Max damaged, think puncture BUT NO, slow for rest of race. Then safety car because Renault can't make engines that don't go brrrrr. Ferrari pit Sainz but not Charles, Hamilton also pits. SC restart, Sainz argues, then dives past Leclerc, then THE REAL RACE BEGINS. Perez Hamilton and Leclerc battling for quite a few laps, much fun. Mick in the points, nearly gets past Max but doesn't. Bosh.

Mike Smalling

It's called a motor race. They went car racing.

Kanu

Supports
Feyenoord & United

On a scale from 1-10 how much do you hate Max?

hobbers

Nothing wrong with Max's defending there. If Lewis did that the same people would be waxing lyrical about his racecraft.

Did a single overtake happen around the outside of Brooklands yesterday? No because every time someone tried they were pushed off the track.

And at other corners Sainz forced Leclerc off. Leclerc forced Perez off. Perez forced Hamilton off. It's called racing, you go for a gap that isn't there you either have to back out or run off the track.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
On a scale from 1-10 how much do you hate Max?
I actually don't at all - but i'll call it poor defensive driving if I see it. Same as any other driver in F1.

Unless it's punished, of course he can. He has had no reason to learn, why would he, there have been no consequences. If the stewards gave him a penalty then I'd expect his behavior would change, as it did at SC restarts, but they haven't. No one who wants to win would disadvantage themselves for no reason.

edit: can't spell
Just because they aren't punished doesn't mean it's not improper.

How was this defensive move any different than Brazil for instance? Anyway...

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
How did you get tickets?
Sign up here and you’ll get notified when they’re on sale, I would expect around £300 for a general admission 3 day ticket for next year.

https://www.silverstone.co.uk/events/formula-1-british-grand-prix/tickets-sign-up
I got them from directly from the Silverstone website. I cant remember how much I paid as it was in Dec last year but £300 sounds about right, possibly slightly less.

Next GP I will get a hospitality ticket which is around 900 quid for race day only. It seems a lot but a 3 day weekend costs almost the same once you pay for the camping site and food and drinks which is an absolute rip off. 10 quid for a burger and I question whether there was any real meat in there! And then beers are £6.90 for a pint! The hospitality package includes food and drinks.

JoaquinJoaquin

I got them from directly from the Silverstone website. I cant remember how much I paid as it was in Dec last year but £300 sounds about right, possibly slightly less.

Next GP I will get a hospitality ticket which is around 900 quid for race day only. It seems a lot but a 3 day weekend costs almost the same once you pay for the camping site and food and drinks which is an absolute rip off. 10 quid for a burger and I question whether there was any real meat in there! And then beers are £6.90 for a pint! The hospitality package includes food and drinks.
Don't know if you follow the padded seat on tiktok/instagram, but he just done the hospitality on his page yesterday

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cfjto2Pgp_D/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

F-Red

Atmosphere is flatter i find in hospitality, and the actual enjoyment of the general admission for me is the camping, entertainment and atmosphere in the general admission areas (I sat on the old pit straight last time I did general admission tickets). We did most of the food and drink ourselves, certainly for the evenings. Not sure if they’ve changed the rules on what you can bring into Woodlands now.

Either way, it’s a pricey weekend ticket wise and if you’re spending upwards of £300 then it’s worth upgrading sometime for the experience. That said, Silverstone is still a pain for traffic, so we usually stay Sunday night and come back on the Monday. Usually good until we had to be towed off the campsite by a tractor in 2012 as the car park was a quagmire!

Don't know if you follow the padded seat on tiktok/instagram, but he just done the hospitality on his page yesterday

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cfjto2Pgp_D/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link
I did the same hospitality in 2015 for qualifying, it looks to have deteriorated in quality though. At the time F1 had a large Champagne sponsor and the whole free drinks for the day was just quaffing that stuff. Heineken now as a sponsor dials it down a bit. It’s a great spot on the terrace though as you get a great view of Maggots and Becketts.’

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
He had a broken car, he couldn't overtake Sainz even with DRS and had to rely on asking 5 times for team orders to be given the place. He clearly wasn't this speed demon you think he was in the race. Some of you talk as if he's as slow as Stroll and to anyone with eyes that's clearly not the base. Leclerc hung with him because of DRS, and as soon as he pitted, he was clearly not as fast.
His team continuously asked him to chase target time and he couldn't do it, and after the pits Leclerc made fastest lap after fastest lap, while Sainz was also in the open too and he was slower than him despite pitting and being on new tyres too, I am not quite sure why are you ignoring that. Leclerc literally caught with him, and drove 6-7 laps behind him asking his team to overtake him and he got a negative answer, same happened after and they let him go, and Sainz again couldn't keep up with him, so I have no idea why you keep saying Leclerc wasn't faster.

Saying things like 'if it wasn't for SC Sainz would have been done' is just irrelevant. If it wasn't for SC then Max wouldn't be champion. If it wasn't for engine failures then Leclerc would be leading the championship, if it wasn't for your dad feeling a little horny that night you wouldn't be alive. These things are just the lowest form of counter argument. You can only deal with the hand you have, and he dealt with it well. If he had listened to his team orders he'd also have been done but he accepted them when it made sense and pushed back at the right time when it didn't make sense and that also aided him in his win. He qualified first, he set a better pace than any other driver out there including Leclerc, he had the fastest lap right at the end, he's 11 points behind his team mate, closer to him by some distance than the gap between drivers at Mercedes, Red Bull and McLaren. The bitterness is just not deserved. He isn't flailing his team mate by 60 points he's right in the mix and keeping up despite having an extra DNF. In races where they've both finished, they're tied on outscoring each other 3 races to 3 this season. The stats just don't show this gulf that posters here make out, as if the current Ferrari situation is like Verstappen and Albon. If you take Baku out where they both DNF'd, then Sainz has outscored Leclerc 3 races in a row. Clearly Leclerc is the better driver, but Sainz fully deserves his seat.
If - points are over the top, I literally congratulated Sainz and told he did well after the SC, I was just stating the obvious that he was slow before the SC and that he can be happy with SC out. I am not into luck as majority of people here, sometimes you have it, sometimes you don't.

Its rarely said but something really needs to be done about safety cars in F1. The number of times they come out is getting ridiculous, with all these terrible street circuits and dodgy run off areas it's nearly every race, and they are now deciding races with increasing frequency too. F1 needs to change the rules around them so they cannot impact the race so severely.

The Firestarter

Its rarely said but something really needs to be done about safety cars in F1. The number of times they come out is getting ridiculous, with all these terrible street circuits and dodgy run off areas it's nearly every race, and they are now deciding races with increasing frequency too. F1 needs to change the rules around them so they cannot impact the race so severely.
Odd time to post this after the exact opposite of a street circuit race.

The Firestarter

Actually incredible that he was back at the track for the end of the race and visibly without a scratch. Quantum leap in safety even from mid 2000s, let alone the cans before.

So in fact go into opposite direction safety wise?
The overzealous use of the safety car hasn't prevented any accidents. Double waved yellows used to work just fine with the SC coming out only when really needed.

The cynic in me says Mercedes/Aston wanted their car on TV more often though.

pauldyson1uk

The overzealous use of the safety car hasn't prevented any accidents. Double waved yellows used to work just fine with the SC coming out only when really needed.

The cynic in me says Mercedes/Aston wanted their car on TV more often though.
And it was at this point your honor, that I decided that all previous posts on this subject were irrelevant.

Zarlak

my face causes global warming
Truth like rain don't give a feck who it falls on.
I don't really have any issue with the safety car deployment, but I do think you shouldn't be able to freely change the tyres when a race is red flagged and you're sat in the pit lane. I do like the idea though that Zhou flips his car completely, skids for ages and then the car flips over a wall and the director is like 'quick, this is a good chance for us to give Aston Martin some exposure on TV.'

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
I just think his comments Mercedes/Aston wanted their car on TV more often though , is sheer BS.
Has for the safety issues raised, don't think there is a problem with pits during SC, but I do agree the SC has been deployed when not really needed.
I was agreeing with you about the absurdity of that comment

You do all know they do safety car runs for the crowd/TV right? I did say it was a bit of a throwaway comment but it's a fact that the SC comes out more and more frequently. Since 2015 the SC has been deployed more than all the other years combined, and it's now at a rate of once every race. Meanwhile the cars and tracks have become ever safer so should in theory require less intervention.

Cloudface

You do all know they do safety car runs for the crowd/TV right? I did say it was a bit of a throwaway comment but it's a fact that the SC comes out more and more frequently. Since 2015 the SC has been deployed more than all the other years combined, and it's now at a rate of once every race. Meanwhile the cars and tracks have become ever safer so should in theory require less intervention.
That was the year Jules Bianchi died in an accident. Maybe they now believe they should get ahead of incidents rather than wait for them to happen and "learn lessons?"

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
Honestly, the idea the safety car is deployed more due to TV exposure, is ridiculous. If you pause and just think about it logically, there are a million other ways to give the car more exposure than forcing an interference in a race. Could just have a 30 second segment before each race, if that’s what they were interested in. Not to mention, there are Mercedes’ and Aston Martin branded cars in the race field - they already get plenty of exposure. And as for safety car runs, they do runs in other cars too. It’s still a super car, so fans at the track would happily want to see it.