F1 2022 Season

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
easy win for Max, I see the same for the main race also.
Masterclass from HAAS defending Lewis.
It wont be so easy if Ferrari dont fight eachother at the start. That was was screwed them.

by the time they finished squabbling they were 2.5 behind and with very similar speeds it's almost impossible to catch up again.

They have to get DRS and keep behind.

avgp_1

Thats was crap. Here's an idea. Make it a seperate 'sprint' championship but with the sprint order decidesld by drivers standing in reverse. Doesnt affect the actual championship and we get the reverse grid that sprint races need so badly.
That was really fun. So much happening in just 20 odd laps

ZIDANE

Supports
The Philosophy.
Needs more action with tracks that allow more overtaking but there’s lots of jeopardy and not that much reward.

Alonso is just unlucky. What a wasted talent.

pauldyson1uk

Seb in trouble.

Sebastian Vettel has been summoned to the Austrian GP's stewards' office for his "behaviour" at Friday evening's drivers' meeting at the Red Bull Ring.

Vettel has apparently landed himself in hot water for allegedly breaching Article 12.1.2 f) of the International Sporting Code and Article 20.1 of the FIA Formula One Sporting Regulations.

The article relates to: "Any words, deeds or writings that have caused moral injury or loss to the FIA, its bodies, its members or its executive officers, and more generally on the interest of motor sport and on the values defended by the FIA."

No idea what punishment he might get, already at the back of the grid.

FIA unhappy with Vettel behaviour at drivers' meeting (f1i.com)

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Snorefest
Bit like that wasn't it.
The only thing a sprint race offers is something marginally better than a free practice.

I would dearly love to see a race with all the drivers in the same type of car. And that car with no driver aids at all. Basic racing car, manual gearbox and clutch, same tyres and same aero setup.

F-Red

Seb in trouble.

Sebastian Vettel has been summoned to the Austrian GP's stewards' office for his "behaviour" at Friday evening's drivers' meeting at the Red Bull Ring.

Vettel has apparently landed himself in hot water for allegedly breaching Article 12.1.2 f) of the International Sporting Code and Article 20.1 of the FIA Formula One Sporting Regulations.

The article relates to: "Any words, deeds or writings that have caused moral injury or loss to the FIA, its bodies, its members or its executive officers, and more generally on the interest of motor sport and on the values defended by the FIA."

€25k suspended for leaving the drivers briefing early, he was frustrated at something apparently.

Wouldn’t surprise me if it was consistency of race director and steward decisions around deleted lap times and the farce of letting Perez into Q3.

Last edited:

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Bit like that wasn't it.
The only thing a sprint race offers is something marginally better than a free practice.

I would dearly love to see a race with all the drivers in the same type of car. And that car with no driver aids at all. Basic racing car, manual gearbox and clutch, same tyres and same aero setup.
Yeah totally. It would never happen but I've always thought it would be epic to have a short spec race and qualy on a Saturday or Friday that determines the WDC.

Fluctuation0161

Seb in trouble.

Without having the detail yet. I would always lean towards trusting Vettels judgement over the FIA on these matters.

hobbers

Pretty sure the Dutch fans were cheering wildly for Hamilton not booing.

ZIDANE

Supports
The Philosophy.
These racing incidents and penalties are starting to get tricky again.

Silverstone - I thought Perez and Leclerc was borderline for various reasons and they lost position to Hamilton. I thought Max was a bit cheeky on Schumacher and could’ve been a penalty.

Then we get Albon today getting a penalty when we’ve seen similar from others except Norris didn’t back out and went off the track.

Interestingly, Russell was outspoken about Silverstone (Perez/Leclerc) but then on Sky he was diplomatic today about Albon saying it was borderline.

Nobody really is sure or we all have a bias.

Adam-Utd

Silverstone - I thought Perez and Leclerc was borderline for various reasons and they lost position to Hamilton. I thought Max was a bit cheeky on Schumacher and could’ve been a penalty.

Then we get Albon today getting a penalty when we’ve seen similar from others except Norris didn’t back out and went off the track.

Interestingly, Russell was outspoken about Silverstone (Perez/Leclerc) but then on Sky he was diplomatic today about Albon saying it was borderline.

Albon was a clear penalty.

He knew Norris was alongside him and purposely took enough speed to run his car wide and force him off. it’s particularly bad this year with that big sausage car that can damage the floors pretty badly.

Albon said he just lost grip which might be true, but you just have to take less speed to keep on track.

People seem to think outbraking and running wide until your opponent gets pushed off or backs out to avoid contact is good driving - it’s not.

hobbers

It's so corner dependent. Turn 3 at Austria can easily accommodate 2 cars, is followed by a long straight, and the outside line has better traction. Norris was going to breeze past Albon had he not been forced off.

Brooklands and Farm are very different corners and no one successfully passes around the outside of them, because of the sequence of corners they fall within. Hamilton and Perez and Schumacher all got squeezed out and they were all fair racing moves. Why should the leading driver have to compromise their next corner because someone is hanging around the outside behind them and taking too long to back out?

Most people dont seem to appreciate the nuance of different corners and bias always comes into it. Was watching Ted's notebook earlier and he was actually whining about Max squeezing Charles out at the start of the sprint. Which is strange because he had nothing to say about Sainz doing exactly the same thing to Max at the restart last week. If you can't defend in racing, what's the point, honestly? Swear some people won't be happy until it's fully transformed into some neutered borefest where nobody can make defensive moves, and all the passes happen halfway down the back straight at 30kph speed differences.

Zarlak

my face causes global warming
Truth like rain don't give a feck who it falls on.
Do people still have doubts Mick belongs in F1?
I think Mick belongs in F1 but I don't think today really proves anything. That was all Kmag. Without Kevin purposely staying where he could give Mick DRS, he'd have been passed 10 laps earlier. Mick had to ask for him to slow down because he knew he couldn't have done it otherwise and also Lewis seemed way too scared to make a lunge so was predictable lap after lap.

But as a side note I generally do love seeing both Haas's up there.

Last edited:

Tyrion

It wont be so easy if Ferrari dont fight eachother at the start. That was was screwed them.

by the time they finished squabbling they were 2.5 behind and with very similar speeds it's almost impossible to catch up again.

They have to get DRS and keep behind.
Honestly Ferrari could beat Red Bull in both championships but I don't think they can avoid making stupid decisions. When Red Bull have a good day, they get maximum points. When Ferrari have a good day like last week, they still have LeClerc falling back to P4.

Ferrari's car and drivers are as good as Red Bull's but their strategy is much worse.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
I think Mick belongs in F1 but I don't think today really proves anything. That was all Kmag. Without Kevin purposely staying where he could give Mick DRS, he'd have been passed 10 laps earlier. Mick had to ask for him to slow down because he knew he couldn't have done it otherwise and also Lewis seemed way too scared to make a lunge so was predictable lap after lap.

But as a side note I generally do love seeing both Haas's up there.
tbh I think it was the same whether roles reversed or not. He was faster than k mag even before Perez rolled up but it seems Gunter has ptsd between Kmag and Grosjean so doesnt want to feck yo tomorrow for 1-2 points today.

Zarlak

my face causes global warming
Truth like rain don't give a feck who it falls on.
tbh I think it was the same whether roles reversed or not. He was faster than k mag even before Perez rolled up but it seems Gunter has ptsd between Kmag and Grosjean so doesnt want to feck yo tomorrow for 1-2 points today.
I think if Lewis had confidence in his braking he would have attempted late braking lunges and taken the position easily earlier, but hindsight is 20/20. I am enjoying seeing him do well though, don't think he deserved to be hung out to dry because he crashed a couple times. At the end of the day he's an f1 rookie at what was previously the slowest team in the paddock so I'm happy to give him a break, it's nice to see that car being more competitive.

pauldyson1uk

I think if Lewis had confidence in his braking he would have attempted late braking lunges and taken the position easily earlier, but hindsight is 20/20. I am enjoying seeing him do well though, don't think he deserved to be hung out to dry because he crashed a couple times. At the end of the day he's an f1 rookie at what was previously the slowest team in the paddock so I'm happy to give him a break, it's nice to see that car being more competitive.
I dont think breaking was his problem, the HAAS in front did an excellent job with DRS to keep him at bay, it was only when KMag got out of DRS with Sch that Lewis took him.
It would have been the same either way round.
Lewis was hampered by the collision at the start and never really fully recovered.
If it had been the main race, then yeah maybe Lewis would have taken more risk.
Mick has a place in F1 , with a half decent car, he is showing that he can do it, I dont think he is not going to win any WC's but I think he may well win races.

€25k suspended for leaving the drivers briefing early, he was frustrated at something apparently.

Wouldn’t surprise me if it was consistency of race director and steward decisions around deleted lap times and the farce of letting Perez into Q3.
Inconsistency of decision making. He supposedly said they've been having the same discussion for 15 years and he's had enough of it, before walking out :lol:

Wouldn't surprise me one bit if he switches to Hypercars in the next couple of years. Sounds like he's sick of F1.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse

seems a lot of words for “there’s max fans there.”

Adam-Utd

Honestly Ferrari could beat Red Bull in both championships but I don't think they can avoid making stupid decisions. When Red Bull have a good day, they get maximum points. When Ferrari have a good day like last week, they still have LeClerc falling back to P4.

Ferrari's car and drivers are as good as Red Bull's but their strategy is much worse.
it’s a tough one as they’ve signed sainz and told him he’d get a fair crack of the whip. he’s not a bad driver and comes from racing heritage so is never going to be happy playing 2nd fiddle.

The points between him and leclerc are pretty close now, but the issue is they seem more intend on beating each other than max.

Ferrari need to say whoever is ahead on the first lap must hold position and follow max as close as possible until the pit stop. If max gets far enough away that they cannot fight him then crack on.

klsv

Half of the grid been penalized for track limits in the F2 race, Doohan been given 15 seconds worth of penalties already :lol:

dinostar77

Apparently Mercedes didnt bring enough low drag rear wing spares to Austria. Hamilton got the spare low drag rear wing and russell had to run a higher drag rear wing in the sprint yesterday. Which slowed him down.

Maroon Lucifer

Half of the grid been penalized for track limits in the F2 race, Doohan been given 15 seconds worth of penalties already :lol:
And they just kept coming. lots of 5 and10 second penalties and even a few 15 second penalties. I wonder if this will carry over to the F1 race.

pauldyson1uk

Seven F1 drivers were spared a penalty by the Austrian Grand Prix stewards for potentially breaching radio communication rules during the formation lap of Saturday's sprint race.

The first start was aborted when the Alfa Romeo of Zhou Guanyu coasted to a halt before it had reached its grid slot, which automatically implied a second formation lap.

However, ahead of the field setting off, seven drivers - Mick Schumacher, Daniel Ricciardo, George Russell, Esteban Ocon, Sergio Perez, Lance Stroll and Sebastian Vettel - were told by their team to use their pit limiter when pulling away from the grid for the second formation.

The communications were deemed as a potential breach of Article 33.1 of the sporting regulations which states that "the driver must drive the car alone and unaided".

All seven drivers were summoned to the stewards after the sprint race, but the group was eventually cleared of any wrongdoing.

"The Stewards met with the team managers concerned and determined that the messages that were under investigation were permitted," reads the FIA bulletin.

The offense could have yielded a 10-second time penalty, a sanction that was applied in the past to Haas drivers Kevin Magnussen and Romain Grosjean at the 2020 Hungarian Grand Prix.