g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

F1 2022 Season

hobbers

We do seem to have a certain way of representing a story such as the one @hobbers suggested just above which we have to look at and determine if we would say that Toto was demanding that Masi should not bring out a safety car"-
So just to be clear, do you not think that Toto was trying to exert maximum pressure on Masi there to go against his main priority as race director, i.e. safety?

Last edited:

oates

No one is a match for his two masters degrees
Scout
Supports
Arsenal
So just to be clear, do you not think that Toto was trying to exert maximum pressure on Masi there to go against his main priority as race director, i.e. safety?
Just to be clear:

A Team Principle is allowed to make representations to the Race Director regarding his own team's position. It is almost a certainty that being part of their roles and job descriptions.
That you represented that Toto Wolff had been demanding on this subject.
That I consider his tone and the wording to be a request using the word 'Please', and the tone also to be in the nature of a Plea.

So, I do not regard his request to be attempting to exert any maximum or for that matter overt, undue or unfair pressure as a Team Principle towards the Race Director and even if other posters do not feel it necessary to express a view they should certainly make their own mind up about your interpretation and that represented by the actual facts displayed during the video of said representation. I cannot be any clearer than that to my mind and had not thought it a complicated matter.

hobbers

Just to be clear:

A Team Principle is allowed to make representations to the Race Director regarding his own team's position. It is almost a certainty that being part of their roles and job descriptions.
That you represented that Toto Wolff had been demanding on this subject.
That I consider his tone and the wording to be a request using the word 'Please', and the tone also to be in the nature of a Plea.

So, I do not regard his request to be attempting to exert any maximum or for that matter overt, undue or unfair pressure as a Team Principle towards the Race Director and even if other posters do not feel it necessary to express a view they should certainly make their own mind up about your interpretation and that represented by the actual facts displayed during the video of said representation. I cannot be any clearer than that to my mind and had not thought it a complicated matter.
Hard to decipher any of that but I think what you're trying to say is that what Toto and Horner were doing, trying to influence Masi race by race, was part of their job, within the rules, and therefore perfectly fine.

If so I agree. It was the structure of race directorship and rules that were wrong.

oates

No one is a match for his two masters degrees
Scout
Supports
Arsenal
Hard to decipher any of that but I think what you're trying to say is that what Toto and Horner were doing, trying to influence Masi race by race, was part of their job, within the rules, and therefore perfectly fine.

If so I agree. It was the structure and rules that were wrong.
It is becoming clear to me why you possibly would think that having read my post.

In any case this thread is about the 2022 Season and I should imagine everyone is mostly heartily sick of the remainders of the 2021 Season being continually brought up, the need to understand clearly how incidents are interpreted and the excitement about to happen.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
What's this about Mercedes coming up with a new car with NO sidepods? Supposedly big changes at least, like revolutionary, are expected.

I swear to god if we are in for a bore fest after waiting this long :lol:

Uniquim

New trailer for Drive to Survive

at 0:19 there's a clip of Leclerc winning at Monza in 2019. :lol:
Also, they trailer make it seem like Lando and Daniel aren't getting along.

Anyway, going to be a nice watch, however exaggerated it may be. Nice with a bit of recap from last year before the new season starts.

pauldyson1uk

Anyway, going to be a nice watch, however exaggerated it may be. Nice with a bit of recap from last year before the new season starts.
Or it will just piss some off and start the whole Abu Dhabi sage again.

pauldyson1uk

Merc to run with no sidepods

https://www.planetf1.com/news/f1-rumours-radical-mercedes-w13-with-no-sidepods/

I'll believe it when I see it as that sounds like a massive departure from all the other teams
Running with no sidepods, just made the Bahrain Test a whole lot more interesting.
Just picturing Horner's face if they do run without side pods and this " According to Corriere dello Sport, the sidepods are ‘gone’ after Mercedes’ tests in the simulator showed a ‘monstrous’ upturn in the performance. " is true.

pauldyson1uk

What's this about Mercedes coming up with a new car with NO sidepods? Supposedly big changes at least, like revolutionary, are expected.

I swear to god if we are in for a bore fest after waiting this long :lol:
god forbid that a team finds that something works better :lol:
I agree about the borefest, but if its true and it works, the look on Horner's face would make it so worthwhile.

hobbers

Have they simulated the effects on engine temp?

Maybe design an underfloor that sucks up enough air to make side pods unnecessary?

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Have they simulated the effects on engine temp?

Maybe design an underfloor that sucks up enough air to make side pods unnecessary?
Caveat this with it might not be true and we see a Merc with sidepods

But I would expect that if they do turn up without sidepods then they will have simulated engine Temps

Bahrain would be a logical place to get some real world data to check that simulation

How they get enough air into the engine will be interesting though ... Higher inlet at the top is obviously an option

Getting air from the floor ... Again an option but given the ground effect of the cars it's going to have to be done in a way that does not impact the vortexes

Also where they will place the radiators would be something else to solve

I said before I'll believe it when I see it but I'm certainly interested to see what they do as most people seem to be expecting a sidepod revision of some sort

slyadams

WTF1 were sent the season a few days ago and have said it’s appallingly bad this year.

vangagal

Red Bull already questioning the legality of the Mercedes. It has begun. :)
Horner admitted in last year DTS that he has to questioned the legality of every single things others did because its a competition, it has to whether it succed or not. Man is a prick but at least he is honest that he is one.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
What's with the massive metal grates behind the wheels? They look awful.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
What the feck are sidepods and what do they do

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
What's with the massive metal grates behind the wheels? They look awful.
they’re radio wave jammers to interfere with red bull’s radio calls to race control.

Darkhorsez

What the feck are sidepods and what do they do
From the BBC ….

Why all the fuss about the upgraded Mercedes side-pods, which are even more shrink-wrapped than when the car first appeared? Well, first of all, it is an incredible feat of engineering to package all the architecture within them - radiators, pipes etc - inside such a small space, and with such a small inlet for cooling air. But mainly, it’s all about airflow, specifically ensuring a flow as clean and fast as possible to the rear of the car, where it does a number of important jobs.

First, teams want to “seal” the gap between the floor and the rear tyres, to prevent air leaking around the sides and slowing down the all-important airflow under the car.

Under the floor, the faster the air flows through the ground-effect “venturi” tunnels - returned to F1 this year for the first time since 1982 following the major rules changes -the more downforce the car has, and the faster it goes. How does the over-body airflow affect this? The faster the air is travelling over the top of the rear floor, the lower the pressure there - and the lower the pressure, the more it “pulls” the under-body airflow out of the diffuser, and the faster that goes. There is also the lower rear “beam” wing to energise.

All the teams are trying to do the same things, and have various methods of doing it - Ferrari’s scalloped side-pods; Red Bull’s heavy side-pod under-cut - but Mercedes have taken this to remarkable extremes.

F-Red

How long it is since the last time we see so many different looks of car? 00's and 10's almost all of them looks the same anyway.
Last time I would say would be the 2008 season, with many different ideas around winglets to move the air around the car. The designs looked hideous during that year, but everyone had very different ways of trying to achieve the same goal.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Horner admitted in last year DTS that he has to questioned the legality of every single things others did because its a competition, it has to whether it succed or not. Man is a prick but at least he is honest that he is one.
Challenging things to ensure they’re legal doesn’t make him a prick.

Does anyone think for one minute that if Red Bull or Ferrari had come up with something this radical that Toto wouldn’t be raising challenges?

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
How long it is since the last time we see so many different looks of car? 00's and 10's almost all of them looks the same anyway.
Whenever the stepped nose or no stepped nose season was - 2013?