g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

F1 2022 Season

Fluctuation0161

Sanctions are intended to impact both leaders and the people. One of the aims is to disenfranchise the people from their government and essentially encourage rebelion. I have no objection to banning Russian drivers, that country has invaded another sovereign nation and is at war, it is not "business as usual". Is this the fault of individual Russians? Mostly no, but equally any government can be overthrown by its people given the will. If the Russian state as a whole maintains its status quo and continues to engage with these actions they must be totally ostracized from the rest of the world.

If not, where do you stop? Russia invades Moldova and we continue? They invade Estonia and now NATO are involved, do we still allow their athletes to continue? If not where are you drawing the line? NATO is not the definition of when a line is crossed, in most people's mind the line has now been crossed.
In theory, this would be a great approach for all countries. However, this conveniently ignores the immoral actions many other countries are / have been involved in. The line appears to be drawn only where you are told it should be, told by countries who have crossed the same line many times before and continue to do so.

Fridge chutney

Lewis is confirmed for this season! Objectively that will make 2022 much more interesting for F1.

ZIDANE

Supports
The Philosophy.
Sochi was the race with big long straights if I remember and Mercedes won every single one of them (last year Norris should've won). Didn't know they were switching to the new track - what a waste.

TheLiverBird

a cool £240 million for 6 years work

he’ll only be 30 years old when that Contract finishes

and will then get another insane contract to see him too retirement no doubt

it’s staggering what TV has done to todays sportsmen and womens wealth

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Quite easy to do when he’s the worst driver on the grid too.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Did not see this coming, fair play to FIA.
According to Business Petersburg, the Igora track has cost about 11 billion rubles ($192 million),that track is now one massive white elephant.
Even if they were to host it, how will FA get paid? The sanctions would have made that difficult if not impossible.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I’m all for sanctioning Russia but it seems odd that he did some personally shitty things and they stuck by him and now they’re sacking him for something that isn’t his doing…

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
He had no place in F1, he was a serious accident waiting to happen, it was only daddy's money keeping him in it, now thats gone, so has he .
I agree, I don’t want him in the sport either, but I don’t think this makes Haas look ‘good’ for getting rid.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
His father has direct links to Putin, was in Moscow at the business meeting with Putin last week and was paying for his drive. How is anyone having an issue with this?
I don’t disagree that he should go as he’s a shite driver but they were happy to let him get away with sexual assault/harassment previously. I don’t think Mazepin personally has done anything wrong in this Russia situation, has he?

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I don’t disagree that he should go as he’s a shite driver but they were happy to let him get away with sexual assault/harassment previously. I don’t think Mazepin personally has done anything wrong in this Russia situation, has he?
Probably not but his dad is fully deserving of sanctions, he's nowhere near good enough to get in F1 if daddy isn't paying for his seat, and furthermore he's a prick on a personal level so I don't even feel a tiny bit sorry for him. Good riddance, don't let the door hit you on the way out Marzipan. Next step, rid F1 of the Saudi royal family's influence. Probably impossible but we can hope.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
I’m all for sanctioning Russia but it seems odd that he did some personally shitty things and they stuck by him and now they’re sacking him for something that isn’t his doing…
Might have to do with his father getting sanctioned which means Haas won't see that money coming in. Why would they want to keep him on when it's bad PR and there's no more hush money to pretend that Mazepin isn't wasting a seat.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Might have to do with his father getting sanctioned which means Haas won't see that money coming in. Why would they want to keep him on when it's bad PR and there's no more hush money to pretend that Mazepin isn't wasting a seat.
that’s what I mean though. It’s not a moral move, it’s a money one.

Zarlak

my face causes global warming
Truth like rain don't give a feck who it falls on.
The only reason they stuck by him then is because they were in desperate need of his dads sponsorship money. It doesn't seem like that's the case any more.